Phone Calls

I use a device called magic-jack available at most stores in the US. It attach's to your computer and you can dial anywhere in the US and Canada for only $19.95 per year plus friends can call you for free also. You get a local phone number such as Ore. 503-555-5555. Have someone pick one up for you and send it or get one next time on vacation.

I use a device called magic-jack available at most stores in the US. It attach's to your computer and you can dial anywhere in the US and Canada for only $19.95 per year plus friends can call you for free also. You get a local phone number such as Ore. 503-555-5555. Have someone pick one up for you and send it or get one next time on vacation.

Sounds like the magic-jack is a real plus. I 'm trying to use a mobile phone or landline if perhaps the computer fails though.

I'm not sure that I can dial a 1 800 number with a pin card and I don't see any access numbers for dialing out of Thailand on MOBIVOX.

I am going to search magic-jack on the it and find out about it.

Simply dial +1 8xx nnn-nnnn (or 001 8xx nnn-nnnn; ~9 THB/min. A lower cost option would be 009 1 800 nnn nnnn, ~ 6 THB/min. Just wait for the Thai voice message, about you having to pay for the call, to end. There are local calling cards which offer even lower rates. AT&T USA Direct local access number is 00199911111, but this only works for calling cards and *some* toll-free numbers where the called-party has enabled this feature.

Magicjack is great, I've been using one for a few years, but it can (obviously) only be used when you are in front of your PC.

Make a note that not all 800 numbers are created equal. Many businesses that pay for the 800 toll free numbers do not allow international access. They may allow access from Canada only. So if you use an 800 number and direct dial it from LOS you may not get thru. Just depends on the business you are trying to get to if they are set up to accept international calls to their 800 number.

If you use Skype calling a US 800 number is completely free.

You can dial any toll-free number, 8xx, from Thailand and you will be connected. You just have to dial +1 8xx nnn-nnnn, or 001 8xx nnn-nnnn (if you don't have a "plus" symbol, say from a land-line; the "1" prefix in this case is the Country Code for the U.S.). There a various lower cost solutions, like 009 1 8xx nnn-nnnn. You will hear both a Thai and English pre-amble explaining that the call is not free and that you will be charged for the call; ~ 9 baht/min if using 001. You have to pay for the call (essentially you pay to terminate the call in the U.S., then the called-party pays for the intra-U.S. charges). Same called-parties do allow international access to their toll-free numbers, typically for high-value customers. In those cases you would dial the AT&T USA Direct local number (00199911111, free), then at the 'bong' enter that toll-free number. If it is enabled then the call will go through; if it isn't you will be prompted for payment.