Newbie Drive To Bkk Advice Please!

Grant61

After 30 years of driving in Australia under controlled road rules, I will shortly be moving to Bangkok and will need to drive from time to time. Got to get to the relatives in Roi Et! The GF said she would go learn to drive which seemed a good idea until I saw the driving school, on a back block around some tyres, so thats not going to happen.

I would appreciate some advice on what is the best way for me to adjust to the Thai style of driving? Where do I start, or is it just a case of getting in the car and doing as the locals do? I am pretty sure I will be ok once out of Bangkok but we will be living in Lat Phrao so its going to be hard to aviod the traffic.

Don't think about it so much, just make sure you have a comprehensive insurance.

Its no different than driving anywhere else, just do not stay on the fast lane and be doing 40km/h with the road of you clear of traffic.

Some advice : - maybe what you have probably heard before.

Wouldn't want to drive in Bangkok all the time, when l go l get a motorbike taxi or take a tuk-tuk's which is better or get the train.

1. This is assuming you have a license.

2. If you have not driven in THAILAND and your not sure, at first go slowly.

3. The best place to be is on the lefthand side of the road, although not all foreigners on bicycles know this.

4. As No.3. but be careful because most people on mopeds what they call motorbikes here do not know this either.

5. Adjust your mirrors so you can see all around you but be prepared to look all around you too. Yoga is recommended.

6. As No.5. but don't trust your mirrors too much ! They come from bleeden everywhere, cars, trucks and motorbikes.

7. Once you have experiance as in No.2. Auto motors are best because unless your on motorway type roads, your be lucky to get into forth.

8. If you think people are using their horn to honk at you, you are probably passing near a Temple or Shrine.

9. At traffic lights be patience because green is not always a colour they like, especially if their on the phone.

10. As No.8. but be prepared for snail type pull aways. i.e. you press an accelerator pedal and it using more fuel.

11. When turning left from a junction look every which way and everywhere as No.6. but go slowly.

12. When turning right as No.11.

13. When turning and facing oncoming traffic when they flash there lights it means " They are coming through and not going to stop ".

14. No.13. is NOT a joke, I do not know about other countries but in the " UK " it means " I'm here ".

15. Many like to drive fast and sometimes overtake you but then slow down.

16. If you have an accident don't automatically think it not your fault even if it wasn't.

17. Ref :- No16. It is best to have an insurance that covers the cost of repairs to your vehicle even if it wasn't your fault.

18. If the car, truck. whatever is in your name don't assume that you own 100% of it if your married.

19. Pump tyres up yourself to the correct p.s.i. otherwise you will be riding on wheels like solid rock. ( Dangerous ).

20. Never assume your car has been serviced correctly, check it yourself or get someone competent to do so if you can find such a person.

Can't think of anything else but Im sure there is.:jap:

Edited by Kwasaki

It's not hard once you have got used to it. Just use your mirrors more and watch for bikes. You have to be more assertive here and just go.

Try not to stress out like me!

Most of this, but as I say "head on a swivel" not just mirrors. That means look in both directions no matter which way the road goes and check, double check and even watch the sidewalks in the opposite direction when pulling out, never relax until you've blended into traffic flow and even then don't let down your guard until you're back on your living room couch..

Edited by WarpSpeed

as you OZ s are used to driving on the wrong side of the road, it should be simple driving in LOS :)

expect no one to yield until proven otherwise, expect bikes and cars entering highways from mudtracks without considering stopping to have a look, expect vehicles in the dark without lights on the wrong side of the highway and keep the same speed as everyone else

I come from a LHD country, and have done more than 400k km in 8 years here. Accidents only at low speed in towns. Make sure you have a good 1st class insurance willing to pay repairs at the cost suggested by a proper garage and having credit at such garage.

as for getting thai lisence for GF, what they teach them is to be able to handle the car, then its a test on a closed footballfield sized area, then she is ready for learning traffic alone in a car.

Should be easy. Keep concentration up all the time, when you get more experienced and feel that you can relax, then keep your BackGround concentration up all the time... Things do happen here that we don't expect, expect them. What? You will learn while you drive :)

DON'T get stressed up and angry, accidents are much more likely to happen when you are, be humble, stay calm

Yes, I do recommend to drive like the Thais, using common sense of course. So you're going to live around Lat Phrao, I've been living in Suttisarn - Huay Kwang for nearly 20 years. Bangkok traffic is easy :) Easy to say nearly 400,000? km later. But it wasn't that easy in 1991. I recommend to you the same I recommended my wife - Go out and practice when there is little traffic first, Sundays are very good, be humble! Generally drive a bit slow and carfully in the beginning but don't be afraid to floor it to change lane, it's easier to move around and change lane if you have a speed advantage. Accept that you couldn't turn when you planned to because you were in the wrong lane and couldn't change to the correct lane in time in the beginning, there,s always a u-turn somewhere. Don't push it in the beginning. You will quickly pick it up and it's great fun when you have

Good Luck

Some advice : - maybe what you have probably heard before.

Wouldn't want to drive in Bangkok all the time, when l go l get a motorbike taxi or take a tuk-tuk's which is better or get the train.

1. This is assuming you have a license.

2. If you have not driven in THAILAND and your not sure, at first go slowly.

3. The best place to be is on the lefthand side of the road, although not all foreigners on bicycles know this.

4. As No.3. but be careful because most people on mopeds what they call motorbikes here do not know this either.

5. Adjust your mirrors so you can see all around you but be prepared to look all around you too. Yoga is recommended.

6. As No.5. but don't trust your mirrors too much ! They come from bleeden everywhere, cars, trucks and motorbikes.

7. Once you have experiance as in No.2. Auto motors are best because unless your on motorway type roads, your be lucky to get into forth.

8. If you think people are using their horn to honk at you, you are probably passing near a Temple or Shrine.

9. At traffic lights be patience because green is not always a colour they like, especially if their on the phone.

10. As No.8. but be prepared for snail type pull aways. i.e. you press an accelerator pedal and it using more fuel.

11. When turning left from a junction look every which way and everywhere as No.6. but go slowly.

12. When turning right as No.11.

13. When turning and facing oncoming traffic when they flash there lights it means " They are coming through and not going to stop ".

14. No.13. is NOT a joke, I do not know about other countries but in the " UK " it means " I'm here ".

15. Many like to drive fast and sometimes overtake you but then slow down.

16. If you have an accident don't automatically think it not your fault even if it wasn't.

17. Ref :- No16. It is best to have an insurance that covers the cost of repairs to your vehicle even if it wasn't your fault.

18. If the car, truck. whatever is in your name don't assume that you own 100% of it if your married.

19. Pump tyres up yourself to the correct p.s.i. otherwise you will be riding on wheels like solid rock. ( Dangerous ).

20. Never assume your car has been serviced correctly, check it yourself or get someone competent to do so if you can find such a person.

If driving in BKK carry a few one hundred bhat notes for your friendly police wage collecter.

I had my own 4 wheels for a couple of months in BKK earlier this year and i was surprised how "easy" it was , dont hesitate , just get in to it , thai´s accept your errors and mistakes .. as they do a few of them selfs! :rolleyes: Just go with the flow and every thing will be okay!

One big difference between Bangkok drivers and Western drivers is that Thais seem to constantly negotiate with each other. What I mean is that a Western driver will wait until there is a break in the traffic and then pull out. A Thai driver will move his car out bit by bit until someone stops and lets him go. Consequently, a timid driver will never get anywhere and an aggressive drive will always end up at the front of the line.

I would also say that 90% of Thai drivers are very polite and the remaining 10% are total dickheads who take advantage of the good nature of the 90%!

Before making a right turn always, always check your right mirror before you turn even if you're indicating to turn right. The memory of the sound of impact that still brings goose bumps up on my arms was a fully laden 10 wheeler indicating and turning right into a side street as 2 lads on a motorcycle came full speed up the outside of all of us behind the truck and straight into the side of it. Christ that was a mess. One guy was practically decapitated.

Same for turning left. You may be indicating left in a left turn only lane but many Thai motorcyclists are quite capable of coming up your inside and going straight on in your lane.

Edited by mca

Consider buying a GPS for your car, if you can see where you are supposed to be going at a junction 500 meters ahead it gives you time to plan. Also no real need to be constantly staring up at signposts trying to work out where you are or where you are supposed to be going. Best thing i ever bought for my car really took the hassle and stress out of driving through Bangkok.

If driving in BKK carry a few one hundred bhat notes for your friendly police wage collecter.

Yeah !!! l forgot that, in the wrong lane or come off the wrong exit, Mr Plod is waiting, l have contributed towards there funds severals times.:annoyed:

l think warpspeed gave me an idea a swivel driving seat would be handy with the driver only in front sitting centre of the vehicle.

Edited by Kwasaki

Consider buying a GPS for your car, if you can see where you are supposed to be going at a junction 500 meters ahead it gives you time to plan. Also no real need to be constantly staring up at signposts trying to work out where you are or where you are supposed to be going. Best thing i ever bought for my car really took the hassle and stress out of driving through Bangkok.

yea, GPS navigators are really important here. try to get Garmin ones. they r more trustworthy.

It's not hard once you have got used to it. Just use your mirrors more and watch for bikes. You have to be more assertive here and just go.

Try not to stress out like me!

Yes just remember these two things IN Thailand ........Road Rules .........There are none .......Secondly buy yourself a Hummer...........:D

One big difference between Bangkok drivers and Western drivers is that Thais seem to constantly negotiate with each other. What I mean is that a Western driver will wait until there is a break in the traffic and then pull out. A Thai driver will move his car out bit by bit until someone stops and lets him go. Consequently, a timid driver will never get anywhere and an aggressive drive will always end up at the front of the line.

I would also say that 90% of Thai drivers are very polite and the remaining 10% are total dickheads who take advantage of the good nature of the 90%!

I agree and that remaining 10%. Drive pink or orange pale blue Toyotas mainly with a red light on the front dash ?????:redcard2:

I grew up on the moors in deepest darkest Yorkshire so never really had any city driving experience until I started driving in Bangkok... 1hr after landing...

In the city standard driving rules definitely apply (be assertive, be defensive, be alert, be calm) but on the whole it is not worth getting stressed about. Motorbikes are no worse than taxi drivers, bus drivers, mobile phone drivers, so keep your eye open for all of them.

I drive between 1,500 and 2,500 kms a month and after 5 years and only one (very minor bump) I am still alive to tell the tale..

Once out of the city, stay within the speed limit and have a few hundreds on hand for when the boys in brown pull you for speeding, with out a radar-gun, which will happen, even if your not. But they can.

Most of all just enjoy the experience and remember to keep on the left.

yea, GPS navigators are really important here. try to get Garmin ones. they r more trustworthy.

Great point... sat navs are certainly the best way to keep calm in Bangkok.. just don't rely on them too much in less traveled areas or under bridges (Sukhumvit / Silom!)

It is very important to keep a good lookout in the mirrors so that you know approx what you have coming behind you. Step it up when you plan to change lane soon so that you already have the picture of how it looks around you before you even turn the indicator on

GPS navigators? My advice is to never look at a GPS navigator while you are moving in Bangkok. Good if you always are standing still when you look. Which you will do fairly often :)

Yeah !!! l forgot that, in the wrong lane or come off the wrong exit, Mr Plod is waiting, l have contributed towards there funds severals times.:annoyed:

l think warpspeed gave me an idea a swivel driving seat would be handy with the driver only in front sitting centre of the vehicle.

I think you mean a Johnnie cab??

totalrecallmarscab.jpg:D

Edited by WarpSpeed

I guess so too.

Buy one of those bigger rear view mirrors available in places like Tesco Lotus.

They just clip on to (over) your existing mirror but enhance the view a lot.

Keep safe distance from all traffic in front of you, if you are doing 80 keep about 80 meters distance if possible.

The first few weeks driving here I must have made a lot of people very angry when doing u-turns as in my home country when the oncoming car flashes the light, it means please go I will slow down.

Motosaai are the main irritating factor here as they will come from everywhere and don't seem to bother on whatever part of the road they are driving on or suddenly decide that the right strip just seem to look better so off they go.

Pick up trucks with those build up boxes or cages are another major issue as from my experience they keep swirling from left to right for no apparent reason other than they seem to think it will save them a couple of seconds to their destination, slow down until these feckheads pass you.

Going to Roi Et is actually a pretty nice driving experience as the roads are pretty good once you pass Nakorn Ratchasima.

Just watch the road very carefully when driving at night as there might be people crossing the road (on foot) in the middle of nowhere and I have even encountered huge snakes on my way there.

:)

Exactly but those first body pillars would worry me, unless they were glass and with a radar warning system of close proximity vehicles.:D

Keep safe distance from all traffic in front of you, if you are doing 80 keep about 80 meters distance if possible.

Are you kidding?:unsure: keeping 80 meters distance? :blink: that means you allowing:

-3 big blue/white bus

-5 medium "crazy '" green buses

-10 red,yellow, blue Taxis , and 20 motorcycles.

to jump in front of you to occupy that space !:bah:

Are you kidding?:unsure: keeping 80 meters distance? :blink: that means you allowing:

-3 big blue/white bus

agree

one of the dangers of driving here, its hard to keep more than 1,5 to 2 seconds distance

I compensate it by driving faster than anyone else :lol: :lol:

-3 big blue/white bus

I agree with Alex, distance is very important. Most accidents happen because people drive too closely everywhere, Thailand is just one of the extremes in the area and that's of course also one of the reasons why Thailand have so many deaths in traffic accidents every year, not to mention permanent disabilities. Longer than normal distance should be kept, when people fill the hole, just increase the distance a bit again. That others plug the hole is not the point, safety is. Counting one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, one-thousand-three was the norm in my home country when I started driving 30 years ago, they teach counting to four now-a-days. I think 3-and-a-half is good for Thailand

Talking about safety. I have a secret - I didn't force my daughter to use child constraints etc the first 4 years or so and we drive a lot (she's been to 50 provinces in Thailand by car :) ). She will be six next month and is OK using seatbelt most of the time now but not always - can't hang out the window wind in her hair, big smile on her face when strapped in. I will of course be flamed for being a total idiot when I write this but so what. I know that I give it everything I can when it comes to safety, and I am very safety conscious indeed when it comes to driving. And Idea is very safe in the car, strapped in or not. Passive driving, concentration high, keep distance, expect the unexpected (and after driving in Thailand for nearly 20 years, I know that there is very very little that is unexpected...), never get upset or stressed up, easier to move around with speed advantage so fast when applicable (there is much truth in what katabeachbum writes, driving faster can be safer too, depending on situation), background concentration on all the time... The list can go on forever almost, point is that if you watch and observe and analyse and adapt and drive very safety consciously, then driving in Thailand can be very safe indeed. I don't like when westerners write things like "Thailand is too dangerous to drive in" and things like that - My comment to people who think like that; Open you narrow-minded little head and observe, learn and adapt to what you are not used to instead of whining

Safe Driving Everybody (and don't forget to flame me :) )