Pc Speakers Playing Local Radio

rainman

This sounds weird, i kniw...but my brand new PC speakers are now playing some local radio station. :D Even when they're not plugged into the PC and it seems the signal is picked up from the little green plug that goes into the PC afterwards. Whenever i move it around my apartment, the signal gets better/worse, but never goes away. I managed to "tune" it now so you only hear it when there's really no other sound in my apartment (which unfortunately happens late nights) ..but its still annoying. Anyone have an idea on how to get rid of it? Or am i stuck with those "ghost voices" :o

Try using speaker wires with better insulation. I've noticed this when using cheap headphones on a walkman sometimes. Or try shielding them with electrical tape.

cv

I doubt electical tape will have an effect.

You are experiencing a problem common to cheap audio kit located near AM radio transmitters, it's the same effect as you get if you put your mobile near the speakers, you get a bip-be-bip noise just before the phone rings, this is caused by the phone's electronics talking to the cell.

The fix??

You need some ferrite rings, about 1.5" in diameter, have a look in Fortune Town on the top floor is a place with loads of electronic components, there is another similar place in Zeer Rangsit.

Once you have your rings (good luck by the way :D) loop a few turns of the speaker wires through a ring about half way along the length. You may have to experiment with number of turns and position on the cable.

OR, you could just put up with it :D

A few years ago it was reported that a lady in Droitwich (UK) was receiving a national radio station on her gas cooker :o She lived about half a mile from the largest radio transmitter in the UK, same effect.

Edited by Crossy

They're just plain "X-KO" speakers i bought in Panthip, i guess thats the problem. Sounds like i'll go get some Sound Blaster speakers today. There's a power switch on one of the speakers and a volume wheel to turn up and down, depending on where i turn it i get better thai radio or more static(but still thai radio). :o

They're just plain "X-KO" speakers i bought in Panthip, i guess thats the problem. Sounds like i'll go get some Sound Blaster speakers today. There's a power switch on one of the speakers and a volume wheel to turn up and down, depending on where i turn it i get better thai radio or more static(but still thai radio).  :o

If you are very close to the transmitter even decent (Creative) speakers may have the same problem.

Unfortunately only one way to find out :D

Would this work for filtering out static from nearby machines and appliances?

cv

It may, a lot depends on how the static is being picked up.

The only real way to find out is to try it.

I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip. :o

cv

Would this work for filtering out static from nearby machines and appliances?

cv

It may, a lot depends on how the static is being picked up.

The only real way to find out is to try it.

They're just plain "X-KO" speakers i bought in Panthip, i guess thats the problem. Sounds like i'll go get some Sound Blaster speakers today. There's a power switch on one of the speakers and a volume wheel to turn up and down, depending on where i turn it i get better thai radio or more static(but still thai radio).  :D

If you are very close to the transmitter even decent (Creative) speakers may have the same problem.

Unfortunately only one way to find out :D

There's a huge white/red antenna (not sure radio, but i'm guessing) right across the street in my soi :o

Maybe Faraday has the solution. :o

He most definately has :D

A Faraday cage will solve all the pickup problems. Simply line your entire room and windows with Aluminium foil, ground the foil and set up inside, no hum, no local radio.

If it's a medium wave station, small mesh chiken wire will work just as well :D

QED.

Slight overkill for a cheapo set of PC speakers though.

Edited by Crossy