Bonsai

ChiangMaiFun

Been given this stunning 20 year old tree - but even after internet search cannot identify it or know how much sun etc.

Put in a shade spot and leaves turned yellow and fell off - just moved to a sunny spot near a window - little water everyday - look the truth is I have NO CLUE - I need education :blink: and probably need to feed it.

Any ideas where I might find a shop? is there one at Kamtien? I found a great Cactus shop there but not a Bonsai one.

Tree lovers help please!

CMF, I don't know if this will help but we have one that's over 30 years old and has been sitting in the same general area outside it's whole life. It's in the same soil too. The location is on the s/e side of the house in an area that's shaded by a mango tree but still gets sun for an hour or two in the morning. Rain reaches it as well. No additional food or furtilizers are added. We water it during the dry months. The orchid on a piece of wood in the pic was added a couple of years ago. Cool trees these are.

post-114070-0-60108600-1288691599_thumb.

Edited by ThaiWx

CMF, I don't know if this will help but we have one that's over 30 years old and has been sitting in the same general area outside it's whole life. It's in the same soil too. The location is on the s/e side of the house in an area that's shaded by a mango tree but still gets sun for an hour or two in the morning. Rain reaches it as well. No additional food or furtilizers are added. We water it during the dry months. The orchid on a piece of wood in the pic was added a couple of years ago. Cool trees these are.

That's amazing thanks! unfortunately I'm in a condo but you seem to have found the ideal location - I'm just hoping to keep mine alive!

At the moment it has yellow leaves falling off every morning - not sure if I am paranoid and 'tink too much' or if it's 'normal' - I have found out where it was bought so I'm heading off down there to ask the shop staff if I, or the tree, need 'treatment'

That's amazing thanks! unfortunately I'm in a condo but you seem to have found the ideal location - I'm just hoping to keep mine alive!

At the moment it has yellow leaves falling off every morning - not sure if I am paranoid and 'tink too much' or if it's 'normal' - I have found out where it was bought so I'm heading off down there to ask the shop staff if I, or the tree, need 'treatment'

Care to share where it was bought?

That looks terrible! :)

To the OP: Be careful not to over-water. Many plants are more easily killed with too much water than too little. With any plant that's moved from anywhere to anywhere else they'll go through some initial shock where you should take it very easy. Less is more, give the plant some time to sort itself out, without too much of anything. (sun, heat, water, fertilizer (don't use any) etc.) With potted plants (incl. Bonsai) you can then start experimenting where the plant feels happiest.

What kind of plant is it actually?

Edited by CheGuava

Im obviously not sure where the OP bought his from, but there is a shop in the carpark of Makro Superhighway that sells them.

Im obviously not sure where the OP bought his from, but there is a shop in the carpark of Makro Superhighway that sells them.

Yes that's the one - in car park at Makro

To the OP: Be careful not to over-water. Many plants are more easily killed with too much water than too little. With any plant that's moved from anywhere to anywhere else they'll go through some initial shock where you should take it very easy. Less is more, give the plant some time to sort itself out, without too much of anything. (sun, heat, water, fertilizer (don't use any) etc.) With potted plants (incl. Bonsai) you can then start experimenting where the plant feels happiest.

thanks - maybe over watering - I was told to 'water everyday' but I think I'l leave it awhile now as I'm getting yellow leaf drop-off daily - which is quite disturbing.

PS no idea what type of tree - was told 'LM' whatever that means!!! can't find it on Google.

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

Let me try that shot again while the sun's on it and from another angle! :) It's going through it's yearly, seasonal, leaf change and soon be a lot thicker.

post-114070-0-93158300-1288844310_thumb.

Edited by ThaiWx

thanks - maybe over watering - I was told to 'water everyday' but I think I'l leave it awhile now as I'm getting yellow leaf drop-off daily - which is quite disturbing.

PS no idea what type of tree - was told 'LM' whatever that means!!! can't find it on Google.

Chinese Elm tree. :) Very common bonsai, and there's a ton of information on it on the internet. Google for Chinese elm bonsai. :thumbsup:

Chinese Elm tree. :) Very common bonsai, and there's a ton of information on it on the internet. Google for Chinese elm bonsai. :thumbsup:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Elm jeeze :o thanks :rolleyes:

:whistling:

Let me try that shot again while the sun's on it and from another angle! :) It's going through it's yearly, seasonal, leaf change and soon be a lot thicker.

'seasonal leaf change'? hmmm that may be it! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

:whistling:

'seasonal leaf change'? hmmm that may be it! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Yeah I've been reading up on these since your posting and see that they can be sensitive to relocation too, causing the leaves to change and fall. Don't move it around too much as well as not over watering to let it adjust. Soinds like yours could use the outdoors under a shade tree with humidity (big pot of water nearby) and a little water when the soil dries completely. Good luck!