Kenya's Truth Commission chairman steps aside after human rights abuse allegations

News_Editor

Kenya's Truth Commission chairman steps aside after human rights abuse allegations

2010-11-03 08:20:08 GMT+7 (ICT)

NAIROBI, KENYA (BNO NEWS) -- Bethuel Kiplagat, chairman of Kenya's Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission (TJRC), on Tuesday stepped aside from his post in order to allow authorities to investigate allegations on human rights abuses.

According to the Daily Nation, Kiplagat issued a statement in which he announced he was stepping aside from his responsibilities to allow the a five-man tribunal to investigate the allegations against him.

Kiplagat was accused of aiding in perpetrating human right abuses during the mandate of former President Daniel arap Moi from 1978 to 2002. Many politicians and officials said that Kiplagat's past conduct compromised his legitimacy and credibility.

The tribunal, appointed last Friday by Chief Justice Evan Gicheru, will investigate the chairman's past. He is accused of being involved in unethical practices, absence of integrity, and in human rights abuses. The allegations are similar to the cases that the TJRC investigates.

"I welcome the appointment of the tribunal as I have maintained the need for this matter to be addressed fairly and decisively, according to the rule of law," Kiplagat said on Monday.

After Kiplagat's announcement, one of the foreign commissioners, Ronald Slye reversed his decision to quit the commission which he announced after saying he lost faith in the TJRC due to the allegations on the chairman.

"The decision of the chairman to step aside has restored some of my faith in the ability of the commission to succeed. It is for this reason that I am withdrawing my intention to resign from the commission," Slye said.

The Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission said that the absence of Kiplagat will allow it to proceed with its mandate at a faster pace. The TJRC was established in 2008 to investigate past human rights violations, corruption, and economic crimes dating back to independence in 1963.

Many activists groups, injustice victims and civil associations have openly expressed their opposition to Kiplagat since he was appointed as TJRC chairman. They claim that Kiplagat served a government that perpetuated impunity and is not the adequate person to investigate human rights abuses.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-11-03