High Tea

Furbie

I have a friend coming to town (BKK) and he wants to do high tea. I am not a big high tea person, so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions about good places to go, the cost and maybe if any establishment was doing something unusual or special (at Raffles in Singapore I did the chocolate high tea and it was really good, though expensive). Firsthand accounts only please. Thanks.

It's been a couple of years since I had it but the high tea chocolate buffet at The Sukhothai was very good. You should call to make sure it is still happening but I do recommend it. There were plenty of non chocolate items to eat before moving on to the chocolate too.

Thanks all. I am curious if there are any non-hotel options.

The Sukohthai website still lists this:

Delight in pure indulgence A chocoholic’s dream - The Sukhothai’s famed Chocolate Buffet finds itself on the must-do lists of many of the city’s visitors and residents alike.

The Salon is a relaxing venue for a coffee, light cocktails, snacks, and afternoon tea - and to simply unwind in the company of friends and loved ones. The Chocolate Buffet is offered every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 2.00pm - 5.30pm.

The only two places i can think of that i have been to that are not in hotels are: Agalico and Angelinas (of Paris).

Agalico has a tea set, not as much food as a traditional high tea-but the surroundings are fantastic. If you can get a reservation for the white garden house in the garden, your friend should be impressed by the surroundings alone.

Agalico

Off chaotic Sukhumvit Road you'll find Agalico, owned by Thailand's most prominent landscapist and interior designer, ML Poomchai Chumbala, Entering Agalico is like stepping into a Jane Austen novel -- it's an all white English-style living room, accented with birdcages, rattan chairs and comfy canvas couches -- all of which were designed by ML Poomchai and can be yours for a price. Aside from its selection of cakes and imported teas from all parts of Europe, what really makes this place special is the garden outside, which is a blend of English countryside and Greek mythology guest-starring Balinese statues and sculptures. Beautifully confusing.

When visiting Agalico, order their signature afternoon tea set which comes with two scrumptious homemade scones. Not a place for night owls though as it's only open Friday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm. ">How to get there: Agalico is located in Sukhumvit Soi 51, within walking distance of the Thonglor BTS Station. It's hidden behind a white building on the right hand side of the road. Tel +66 (0)2 662 5857

Angelina's (of Paris) is inside Central Chidlom department store. They have a high tea which is nice. The surroundings are not that great...you overlook the department store departments but the food is good. They have the richest hot chocolate i have ever had. It is made from melted chocolate-tastes like it is 3/4 chocolate and 1/4 cream! that is not included on the high tea. They have a bar so non-tea drinkers can also have a proper drink.

Edited by orchidlady