How Can I Record From A True Satellite Box ?

flash60419

Hi,

I have searched the forum, but can't seem to find anything that relates directly to the answers that I seek.

Please forgive me if the answers are elsewhere on the forum... If someone can point me in the right direction I'll go there.

I am trying to find a way to record live True tv via a standard issue True tv satellite box (model number IR-T401s) . The box is currently connected directly to one LCD tv with no other connections.

At the rear of the True box there are connections for LNB IN (the outside dish...which is obviously connected), right & left audio and video (all RCA connectors, currently connected and going directly to the tv). It also has an available connection for an RS232 port which is currently un-connected.

The TV ( Philips model number 32PFL5409s/98) has connections for HDMI 1 & HDMI 2, which are currently un-connected. It also has VGA/PC (RS232) and PC/in (1.5mm jack plug), which I believe are inputs . There are also RCA output connections from the TV for Audio L/R and Video.

I would like to be able to transfer the recordings I intend to make onto a WinXP notebook, and from there onto a DVD/CD or external HDD.

I think what I should be looking for is some kind of a HDD recorder, but I'm a bit stumped as to what model/make to choose, also the connections on the HDD recorder I should be looking for confuse me, and will the thing (if purchased) be compatible with my needs?... or even, is a HDD recorder the correct thing to purchase in the first place!

I am by no means the most gifted person when it comes to technology, but I'm not too bad. Just need a touch of guidance on this issue.

Hence my post for assistance / advice.

Any help that will give me direction would be much appreciated.

Flash

Western digital make a PVR recording device but I dont think you will find it in Thailand.

Instead of making it really complex you could change the sat box, I use a dreambox, and then you can set it for PVR functions, to record to a PC, to stream video feeds over a home network, all kinds of stuff.. Not of geeky level of complex setup needed tho.

Or you could just pay the extra for the truevisions DVR ??

If you don't want to upgrade to True's PVR (personal video recorder) then you have three options: 1) you can buy a DVD recorder or HDD recorder, 2) buy a non-True satellite box or 3) buy an external TV tuner card and connect the True box to your laptop.

I don't see the point of option 1 as your laptop can already record, burn DVD and store on HDD. Your laptop doesn't have a TV tuner but you can buy an external TV tuner. Once connected and installed you can connect the True box, view the content and record it onto the laptop's hard drive.

After connecting and installing the TV tuner via USB to your laptop, install the software and you can view and record TV. Connect the True box to the TV tuner (using the component-component cable supplied with True box - yellow, red, white). Power on the connected equipment, then launch the installed programming, click "Record" and the programming records directly onto the laptop.

Western digital make a PVR recording device but I dont think you will find it in Thailand.

Instead of making it really complex you could change the sat box, I use a dreambox, and then you can set it for PVR functions, to record to a PC, to stream video feeds over a home network, all kinds of stuff.. Not of geeky level of complex setup needed tho.

Hi LOS,

Any ideas where to search for a DreamBox?

Sounds like a useful piece of kit, not sure if it'll suit my needs entirely... but I'm prepared to have a good look at it . I guess I'll be heading off to Pantip, Bang Gapi Mall or Fortune Tower eh?

I'm only just starting to try and gather information on what my best course of action should be for my intentions.

Also, (from what I have been told ) the TrueVisions DVR uses some kind of weird encryption that doesn't allow you to utilize the recording to it's full extent once captured. It can only be used on the TrueVisions DVR player. Similar to what Virgin do in the UK

They say "We aired it, but! hey! You can't personally archive it. Neither can you view it on anything other than our equipment... even though you pay through the nose for it every month".

Sorry... bit of a mini-rant there !

I would like to use the captured video/audio in formats like AVI & MPEG but unfortunately I can't afford to leave my notebook hooked up to the TV / receiver all day.

Flash

quote name='LivinLOS' timestamp='1288795652' post='3999746']

Hi LOS,

Sounds like a useful piece of kit, not sure if it'll suit my needs entirely... but I'm prepared to have a good look at it . I guess I'll be heading off to Pantip, Bang Gapi Mall or Fortune Tower eh?

I'm only just starting to try and gather information on what my best course of action should be for my intentions.

Also, (from what I have been told ) the TrueVisions DVR uses some kind of weird encryption that doesn't allow you to utilize the recording to it's full extent once captured. It can only be used on the TrueVisions DVR player. Similar to what Virgin do in the UK

They say "We aired it, but! hey! You can't personally archive it. Neither can you view it on anything other than our equipment... even though you pay through the nose for it every month".

Sorry... bit of a mini-rant there !

I would like to use the captured video/audio in formats like AVI & MPEG but unfortunately I can't afford to leave my notebook hooked up to the TV / receiver all day.

Flash

Thaivisa sponsor JSat TV, sells them, noticed even a little TV shop out in the sticks were I live sell them.

Something called Google Search :D enter 'Buy Dreambox Thailand' click search, comes up with 206,000 entries ! may help ?

Again on Google 'Dreambox info' in search........ [this is info on the 600 PVR, there are other models] ( I have 2 of the basic 500S model dreamboxes, had them for some years now bought here in Thailand)

Dreambox 600 PVR Satellite Receiver Box Specifications:

- 250 MHz PowerPC Processor (350 Mips)

- Linux Operating System

- 1 x Smartcard-Reader

- MPEG2 Hardware decoding

- Common available NIMs (DVB-S, DVB-C, DVB-T)

- Tuner modules, Plug&Play

- V. 24/RS232 Interface

- 10/100Mbit compatible Ethernet Interface

- 2 LED status

- 32 MByte Flash, 96 MByte Ram total

- integrated IDE UDMA66 Interface

- Support for internal HDD 2, 5" in any capacity

- unlimited channel lists for TV/Radio

- channel-change time < 1 second

- full automatic service scan

- supports directly bouquet-lists

- supports EPG (electronic program guide)

- supports own videotext

- supports multiple LNB-Switching control (DiSEqC)

- fully adaptable OSD in many languages and skin-support

- S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)

- 1 x Scart-interfaces

- S-Video connector

- analoge modem

DreamBox DM600 technical data

DBS-Tuner:

Frequency Range 950...2150 MHz

Signal Level - 65 dBm...- 25 dBm

Signal-to-Noise Level 12 dB max.

DBS-Tuner Input Connector F-Type female

Input Impedance 75 Ohm

AFC +/- 3 MHz

Demodulation Shaped QPSK

FEC Viterbi and Reed-Solomon

Viterbirate 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, automatic assimilation

Roll-off Factor 35 %

Demultiplexing according ISO 13818-1

Video decoder:

Video Compression MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 compatible

Video Standard PAL G/ 25 Hz

Video Formats 4: 3 / 16: 9

Footage 16: 9, automatic assimilation for 16: 9 TV-Device (over Scart)

Letterbox precolating for 4: 3 TV-Device

Audio decoder:

Audiokompression MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Layer I and II

Audio Mode Dual (main/sub), Stereo

Frequency: 32 kHz, 44. 1 kHz, 48 kHz, 16 kHz, 22. 05 kHz, 24 kHz

Output analog:

Output Level L/R 0, 5 Vss on 600 Ohm

THD > 60 dB (1 kHz)

Crosstalk < -65 dB

Output digital:

Output Level 0, 5 Vss on 75 Ohm

Sampled Data Filtering 32 kHz, 44. 1 kHz, 48 kHz

S/PDIF-Output optical (AC3)

Video parameter:

Input Level FBAS 1 Vss +/- 0. 3 dB on 75 Ohm

Teletext filter in conformity with ETS 300 472 Standard

TV-Scart:

Output: FBAS, RGB, S-Video

Serielle Interface RS 232:

Typ RS232 bidirectional

Bitrate 115, 2 kBit/s max.

Plug Connector SUB-D-9

Function: Update of Firmware

Ethernet:

10/100 MBit compatible interface

Function: Update of Firmware, Connect to PC

UDMA66 IDE Interface:

Intern for connect 2, 5" HDD

LNB Power and polarisation:

LNB Current 500mA max.; Short-circuit-proof

LNB Voltage vertical < 14V without load, > 11, 5V at 400mA

LNB Voltage horizontal < 20V without load, > 17, 3V at 400mA

LNB shut-off at Standby-Mode

Count of active satellite position:

DiSEqC 1. 0/1. 2 SAT POSITION / SAT OPTION

DiSEqC - Rotor Control

Power consumption:

< 15W / 12V

Input voltage:

DC12V, alternating acurrent +/- 15%

Extern power supply:

Input: 110-240V AC / 50-60Hz / 0, 6A

Output: 12V = / 2, 5A

Physical specification:

Ambient Temperature +15C...+35C

Humidity < 80%

Size (W x D x H): 195 mm x 130 mm x 40 mm

Please note: NEW Dreambox 600S now has inter-changable tuners.

Unless True are linking the card to the box :bah:

then the Dreambox is the way to go.

I have a 7020s with LAN connection to my PC

I find a 160Gb disk in the Dreambox is sufficient for my needs.

A few programmes are archived to the PC and then to my media usb disk.

I don;t bother with DVD's anymore.

Streaming off the PC to the DB is also possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Thaivisa sponsor JSat TV, sells them, noticed even a little TV shop out in the sticks were I live sell them.

Something called Google Search :D enter 'Buy Dreambox Thailand' click search, comes up with 206,000 entries ! may help ?

Thank you for the Google based sarcasm ignis... I really hadn't thought of using the internet or a search engine until you mentioned it !

Comments like that are always very helpful and constructive.

I will visit JSat TV and see if they can help.

Thank you for that.

Flash

Unless True are linking the card to the box :bah:

then the Dreambox is the way to go.

I have a 7020s with LAN connection to my PC

I find a 160Gb disk in the Dreambox is sufficient for my needs.

A few programmes are archived to the PC and then to my media usb disk.

I don;t bother with DVD's anymore.

Streaming off the PC to the DB is also possible.

Thanks for the reply Astral.

Is there a way that you know of that would enable me to ascertain if True are linking the card to the box before I dash off and buy a Dreambox ( if thats the route I choose to go down ) ?

I've done a bit of reading about the Dreambox, but I must admit (being a bit out of touch on these things ) that I am still unsure if it's the correct route for me to take. Linux/Lans and whatnot are things I don't really have the time to try and set up or understand.

From what I read, people say Dreamboxes are really easy to get working, but if I purchase one I can't spend forever and a day trying to get it up and running.

Perhaps a PVR would be an easier option for a time pressed technophobe like myself.

Sensible comments are more than welcome.

Flash

Is there a way that you know of that would enable me to ascertain if True are linking the card to the box before I dash off and buy a Dreambox ( if thats the route I choose to go down ) ?

Do you have a friend or neighbour with a True box?

Try your card in his receiver. If it works it should be OK in the Dreambox

I've done a bit of reading about the Dreambox, but I must admit (being a bit out of touch on these things ) that I am still unsure if it's the correct route for me to take. Linux/Lans and whatnot are things I don't really have the time to try and set up or understand.

From what I read, people say Dreamboxes are really easy to get working, but if I purchase one I can't spend forever and a day trying to get it up and running.

Perhaps a PVR would be an easier option for a time pressed technophobe like myself.

Don't be put off by the Linux OS in the Dreambox.

It behaves just like any other satellite receiver/PVR.

Out of the box, it will need setting up for the satellite, (as does any receiver)

but if you buy from JSAT I expect they would set that up for you.

The advantage is that you can, if you want, tweak things.

All you would need to set up initially is the IP address for the box,

plug in the lan cable, and away you go.

There is a web interface for you to access the DB and download those programmes you want to keep.

post-7384-0-91287400-1289885279_thumb.jp

I doubt that the TRUE PVR will give you the download options.

There was another post where a member was asking how to connect a second TV

but is stumped as it only has ONE set of output terminals. :bah:

Thank you Astral for the time you have taken to provide some sensible and good information to somewhat of a newbie on the satellite tv / DB / pvr front.

I'll try out the card with my neighbour, and if it runs as hoped then I'll be off to visit JSAT.

I will post the outcome.

Flash

Edited by astral
Removing long quote