2011 Kawasaki Versys Has Arrived In Thailand!

BigBikeBKK

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of questions if I may.

1) How much oil does the Versys take? I called Kawa CM and they said 1.9ltr but I read on another forum it is 2.4ltr. Semi-Synthetic 10w-40 OK?

2) How much gas is left when the fuel lights starts flashing?

Thanks

Couple of things....

I have just read through this whole thread, should I maybe get out more rolleyes.gif

From what I can see, this seems like a very popular bike.. I personally only own a Wave and have never had anything bigger than a DR125 but absolutely love riding around out here, even with the possibility of being knocked off by crazy drivers (farang and Thai)..

I was wondering if the many knowledgeable bike folk on here consider the Versys to be a good choice for 1st bigger bike ??

Being only 5ft8 and 75kg, I'm not the largest so would I struggle with this machine ??

Phuket is not the ideal place for riding, so this would be for touring the rest of Thailand during my time off (I work 2 months on and 2 off so plenty time for a look around).

The other thing was clothing... Obviously on the Wave I don't get all dressed up for a ride, the longest outing having been only 5 hrs to Krabi. What is the minimum safety clothing that would be needed, apart from boots and helmet ?? I guess there must be tropical climate protective clothing available that isn't too hot !!

That is all for now... Hope some seasoned riders can advise a novice jap.gif

Couple of things....

I have just read through this whole thread, should I maybe get out more rolleyes.gif

From what I can see, this seems like a very popular bike.. I personally only own a Wave and have never had anything bigger than a DR125 but absolutely love riding around out here, even with the possibility of being knocked off by crazy drivers (farang and Thai)..

I was wondering if the many knowledgeable bike folk on here consider the Versys to be a good choice for 1st bigger bike ??

Being only 5ft8 and 75kg, I'm not the largest so would I struggle with this machine ??

Phuket is not the ideal place for riding, so this would be for touring the rest of Thailand during my time off (I work 2 months on and 2 off so plenty time for a look around).

The other thing was clothing... Obviously on the Wave I don't get all dressed up for a ride, the longest outing having been only 5 hrs to Krabi. What is the minimum safety clothing that would be needed, apart from boots and helmet ?? I guess there must be tropical climate protective clothing available that isn't too hot !!

If you've never ridden a big bike and are only 5'8" tall I think you will find the Versys quite tall starting out.

I recommend you go sit on one at the showroom to see how it fits you. At 5'8" tall you will not be able to flat foot it. (I'm 5'10" and can't really flat foot my Versys). There are lowering options, but honestly I'd recommend you start out on something smaller, shorter and lighter before moving up to a tall 200+Kg bike like the Versys.

The new CB'r' 250 has received excellent reviews as a great beginner bike and it's quite cheap.

Ride On!

Tony

Couple of things....

I'm not really in the category of 'knowledgeable bike folk' but as there have been no replies so far I will chip in with my two pennies worth.

If you take it easy at first the Versys should be fine, I was a bit hesitant to start off on a 650cc so served my apprenticeship on the great little Honda CBR 250R but recently upgraded to a Versys. It is an ideal bike for touring with plenty of power but is very easy to ride, maybe even easier than my old 250cc so probably could have started on it.

It is quite a tall bike but I'm 6'3 so do OK, I heard Tony was a shortarse so maybe he'll give you his opinion soon ;)

Probably a good idea to get some decent riding gear with adequate protection, Paddock have a sale on at the moment so should find something there, they have some vented leather and also some mesh jackets/pants/gloves which would be ideal for the hot weather here.

http://www.paddock.co.th/2011/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=97&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

Couple of things....

In Phuket you can rent both Ninja650R and Versys at GC Motorbike in Patong close to Safari on the hill to Karon. Try them both to see what you like :)

My GF is 5ft3 and doing fine on Ninja650 wearing sneakers, but would be to short to ride stock Versys

Take a Versys for a test ride and see if you are comfortable with the height. I'm 5 foot 8 with short legs and although I didn't have any problems on a test I was worried about controlling the bike, especially with a passenger on board. I didn't want to lower it or pay the huge price for the nice lowered seat so went with a 650R which is a nice bike as well.

Power wise I found sticking to the recommended break in procedure was a very good introduction to the bigger bike, limiting the revs to 4,000 really keeps the power down and the bike was easy to manage but a bit slow on the highway where 4,000 rpm is just not enough.

1) How much oil does the Versys take? I called Kawa CM and they said 1.9ltr but I read on another forum it is 2.4ltr. Semi-Synthetic 10w-40 OK?

Thanks

1) 1.9 liters assuming you change the filter. Nothing wrong with semi-synthetic; that's what they recommend at Kawasaki, Bangkok.

2) about 3 liters when fuel starts flashing but may vary a bit from one bike to the next.

Thanks

1) 1.9 liters assuming you change the filter. Nothing wrong with semi-synthetic; that's what they recommend at Kawasaki, Bangkok.

2) about 3 liters when fuel starts flashing but may vary a bit from one bike to the next.

Thank you. I'm averaging around 20kms per litre so should have around 50-60km range when fuel light starts to flash, good to know.

Thanks

Thank you. I'm averaging around 20kms per litre so should have around 50-60km range when fuel light starts to flash, good to know.

Oil must be "Jaso MA" spec, if not your wet clutch will slip. Most semi synthetic are, some synthetic are not

Thanks

Oil must be "Jaso MA" spec, if not your wet clutch will slip. Most semi synthetic are, some synthetic are not

This is what I used in my CBR 250R and also my Versys http://pttweb2.pttplc.com/weblub/en/products-01.aspx?id=3&lub_id=106&lub_sub=19

Couple of things....

I'm not really in the category of 'knowledgeable bike folk' but as there have been no replies so far I will chip in with my two pennies worth.

If you take it easy at first the Versys should be fine, I was a bit hesitant to start off on a 650cc so served my apprenticeship on the great little Honda CBR 250R but recently upgraded to a Versys. It is an ideal bike for touring with plenty of power but is very easy to ride, maybe even easier than my old 250cc so probably could have started on it.

It is quite a tall bike but I'm 6'3 so do OK, I heard Tony was a shortarse so maybe he'll give you his opinion soon ;)

Probably a good idea to get some decent riding gear with adequate protection, Paddock have a sale on at the moment so should find something there, they have some vented leather and also some mesh jackets/pants/gloves which would be ideal for the hot weather here.

http://www.paddock.c...chk=1&Itemid=53

I'm not far off 5'8" but weigh quite a bit more than you. I had the 250 Ninja before I picked up my Versys last week. I paid the extra and went with the option of the Hyperpro shock which lowered the height to a level I'm very comfortable with. It is a fair chunk of money on top of the cost of the bike but I think it was better than taking the risk of not being able to control the bike when stationary.

The difference from the 250's to the 650 is considerable to say the least but as mentioned, if you take it steady and have some respect for the extra power you should be fine I would think.

Also as mentioned, I agree that it would be wise to rent one for a day and the ER or Ninja 650 to see which you find suits you the most.

What are you doing with your bikes? I am getting 15 - 16... or maybe what am I doing? :ph34r: my best ever was 18 but that was going relatively slow over long distances.

What are you doing with your bikes? I am getting 15 - 16... or maybe what am I doing? :ph34r: my best ever was 18 but that was going relatively slow over long distances.

Heh heh, you get crappy mileage cuz you like to twist the wrist Nikster :lol:

ifyouaintfirst.jpg

I've been testing this locally produced hugger / chain guard and find that it's fine for road use, but not strong enough for off road use...

YellowversysSSR.jpg

The first sample didn't clear the battery box and got smashed when I hit a big bump...

Yellowversys1SSR.jpg

New version clears the battery box fine-

Yellowversys2SSR.jpg

Looks great and really cuts down on the amount of crud that gets thrown by the tire.

Yellowversys3SSR.jpg

It's fiberglass and very light weight. Suitable for road use, but the first time I went off roading with it, it cracked...

July7VersysBoDinSSR.jpg

I think fiberglass just isn't strong enough for off road use and am thinking about trying to find a supplier that can produce them in ABS plastic. Will keep you posted!

Ride On!

Tony

July7VersysBoDin2SSR.jpg

My neighbour kindly brought some EBC HH brakes back from America with him which I had fitted yesterday, SO much better than stock brakes. Like a different bike when stopping, especially the back brake which was almost useless.

Yeah, one doesn't realize how poor the stock pads are until you try something better and EBC HH is one of the best!

• 4 weeks later...

I have just over 5000kms on my Versys and will be changing the chain soon to a gold x-ring one I'd bought for my previous bike. I've found a gold rear sprocket too which I'll get put on at the same time but I'm wondering if I should change the front sprocket at the same time? I read that, ideally, both sprockets should be changed at the same time as a chain but as the bike only has 5000kms it should be OK to just do the rear?

I have just over 5000kms on my Versys and will be changing the chain soon to a gold x-ring one I'd bought for my previous bike. I've found a gold rear sprocket too which I'll get put on at the same time but I'm wondering if I should change the front sprocket at the same time? I read that, ideally, both sprockets should be changed at the same time as a chain but as the bike only has 5000kms it should be OK to just do the rear?

If I was you I would change both sprockets now that you change the rear one. They can go much more than 5k km but I think its best to have same amount of wear on both sp's. You can always keep them for later use, or maybe even sell them. Further more the forward one will presumably be the cheapest of the two .

Had the chain and rear sprocket changed today and when I rode it afterwards I noticed the ABS light didn't go out like it normally does. I watched the guy change the chain/sprocket and he didn't touch the rear brake at all so could it just be a coincidence? He rang Kawa CM who said I should take my bike down to them to check the ECU but I can't do that for another few weeks. They said my ABS probably isn't working but brakes will still work OK and that I could have it checked at the 6000km service, currently at 5100km.

Anyone else had their ABS light staying on?

If I was you I would change both sprockets now that you change the rear one. They can go much more than 5k km but I think its best to have same amount of wear on both sp's. You can always keep them for later use, or maybe even sell them. Further more the forward one will presumably be the cheapest of the two .

Heh heh, we covered this in the ER6 thread a couple weeks ago:

Chain should be replaced when you change your sprockets.

Running an old chain with new sprockets will only accelerate the wear on both as the pitch of the old chain will not match the pitch of the new sprockets.

Ride On!

Tony

I had my ABS light staying on when the bike was only a couple of months old. Tooking to to the guys at Rama 9 and they fixed it no problem, but don't know what the cause was. Haven't had a problem with it since. (2010 Er6F Ninja)

Only time I've had problems with ABS is when riding through deep water or when the reluctor rings have gotten full of mud.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2012 model has arrived now.

the photos don't do the yellow justice, and the shop made it hard to decide if the yellow was a straight forward metallic or a pearl, either way it looks very nice indeed :)

Might pop back with my SLR tomorrow and take some better pics if there aren't any on the internet already?

It just looks like Kawasaki have changed the colour of various components, Rear sets, some plastics, forks and colour codded brake pads lol :D

post-59428-0-94238200-1316436432_thumb.j

post-59428-0-26876700-1316436466_thumb.j

post-59428-0-22407000-1316436551_thumb.j

I had my ABS light staying on when the bike was only a couple of months old. Tooking to to the guys at Rama 9 and they fixed it no problem, but don't know what the cause was. Haven't had a problem with it since. (2010 Er6F Ninja)

That's an easy fix, just take the bulb out :D

The 2012 model has arrived now.

the photos don't do the yellow justice, and the shop made it hard to decide if the yellow was a straight forward metallic or a pearl, either way it looks very nice indeed :)

Might pop back with my SLR tomorrow and take some better pics if there aren't any on the internet already?

It just looks like Kawasaki have changed the colour of various components, Rear sets, some plastics, forks and colour codded brake pads lol :D

Are you sure this is 2012 colours and not just another one of Kawasaki's custom paint schemes?

I've heard of one like this in CM kawa but I've also seen one riding around over the last week or two.

I did see a yellow one in there about a month ago as well as now numerous white ones & green ones.

It does look nice though I must admit.

My neighbour kindly brought some EBC HH brakes back from America with him which I had fitted yesterday, SO much better than stock brakes. Like a different bike when stopping, especially the back brake which was almost useless.

stock everything is crap unless youre buying something like a bugatti veyron ........even then there may be some aftermarket biuts and pieces to make it better

exchanging the stock tyres ,exhaust ,brakes ,air filters etc will make a great differnce on nearly all bikes

overinflated hard compound IRC tyres seem to come as standard on a lot of thai bikes and i think theyre dangerous as hell in the wet