2011 Kawasaki Versys Has Arrived In Thailand!

BigBikeBKK

Look what I found at the CM Kawa dealer - a green 2011 Versys! I was excited but turns out it's just after market paint they now offer direct from the dealership. The have sun yellow (popular 2010 color in Europe), lime green, and white (in addition to the stock black and red). Cost approx. 5k baht, which seems steep.

post-20814-0-41153100-1311041225_thumb.j

Versys look so much better in contrast colors like green, yellow and white :)

5k baht including new stickers seems ok

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone done any accurate testing of the speeo? My CBR was always about 8-9% optimistic according to my GPS but did a quick test on the Versys and it seems to be pretty much spot on, isn't that unusual with bikes these days? I thought all manufacturers speedo readings were 5-10 optimistic to try and reduce speeding offences.

All the Kawasakis I've owned in Thailand were ~8-10% optimistic but I've not yet checked my Versys speedo against GPS...

Seems it might be a bit optimistic after all according to this http://www.kawasakiv...php/t-1523.html but on a short trip on Sunday the top speed according to my GPS was the same as I observed on the speedo, something that never happened on my CBR.

Did another two comparisons between speedo and GPS and they were again only about 1kph different, seems the Versys' speedo actually runs true :)

Installed Leo Vince yet?

Anyone done any accurate testing of the speeo? My CBR was always about 8-9% optimistic according to my GPS but did a quick test on the Versys and it seems to be pretty much spot on, isn't that unusual with bikes these days? I thought all manufacturers speedo readings were 5-10 optimistic to try and reduce speeding offences.

All the Kawasakis I've owned in Thailand were ~8-10% optimistic but I've not yet checked my Versys speedo against GPS...

Seems it might be a bit optimistic after all according to this http://www.kawasakiv...php/t-1523.html but on a short trip on Sunday the top speed according to my GPS was the same as I observed on the speedo, something that never happened on my CBR.

Did another two comparisons between speedo and GPS and they were again only about 1kph different, seems the Versys' speedo actually runs true :)

Installed Leo Vince yet?

Yes, much better sound especially with the db killer removed but not obnoxiously loud. Much safer as the deep growl lets people/animals know you are there, very different to the stock exhaust which is very quiet and saves about 8kgs too.

Look what I found at the CM Kawa dealer - a green 2011 Versys! I was excited but turns out it's just after market paint they now offer direct from the dealership. The have sun yellow (popular 2010 color in Europe), lime green, and white (in addition to the stock black and red). Cost approx. 5k baht, which seems steep.

post-20814-0-41153100-1311041225_thumb.j

I saw this last week, can't say I like it in green. They had a white one in two days before which looked very nice indeed, so much so that I'm now waiting for the bike to be ready to pick up.

It's the same white paint as used on the 2001 Ninja 250 which is now on TV classifieds lol.

Looking forward to getting my first "big bike", I've also opted for after market rear shock to lover the ride a little as I'm one of the vertically challenged lol.

Totally agree with all the comments about how good the CM Kawi dealers are.

Also read this entire thread from start to end lol, epic! ha ha

Well the CM Kawa dealer is a mixed bag - they are super friendly, and have excellent service. But they're not the most knowledgeable, they don't know anything about after market stuff, and their aftermarket prices are a bit steep. In short - they're great business people, but they're not bike people.

^^ mrclough you might also want to consider the gel seat (official add on from Kawasaki) - it lowers the bike significantly.

5049782161_fa29affd73_b.jpg

I recently had a chance to try out a Versys with a gel seat but with normal stock shocks - felt incredibly low coming from my own bike, almost like an ER-6n. It was very comfortable, too.

Edited by nikster

Well the CM Kawa dealer is a mixed bag - they are super friendly, and have excellent service. But they're not the most knowledgeable, they don't know anything about after market stuff, and their aftermarket prices are a bit steep. In short - they're great business people, but they're not bike people.

^^ mrclough you might also want to consider the gel seat (official add on from Kawasaki) - it lowers the bike significantly.

I recently had a chance to try out a Versys with a gel seat but with normal stock shocks - felt incredibly low coming from my own bike, almost like an ER-6n. It was very comfortable, too.

I enquired about these but they told me they were waiting for them to arrive and had been for a few months so I'm not quite sure what the state of play is with them. I would like to see one though as it may make the bike even more comfortable.

As you know, CM isn't the best place to source after market products and I have to agree that they are a bit costly from Kawa. I got some of my ninja bits on line and saved quite a bit from what i was quoted there. Quicker delivery too.

I enquired about these but they told me they were waiting for them to arrive and had been for a few months so I'm not quite sure what the state of play is with them. I would like to see one though as it may make the bike even more comfortable.

As you know, CM isn't the best place to source after market products and I have to agree that they are a bit costly from Kawa. I got some of my ninja bits on line and saved quite a bit from what i was quoted there. Quicker delivery too.

No need to pay through the nose for the overpriced Kawasaki low seat. You're in CM right? Just take your stock seat to one of the saddle shops recommended on GT Rider and they'll sort you out for ~400-800 Baht depending on just what you want done.

My Bangkok saddle guru does a basic reshape and recover for 300-400 Baht. (Note this vid is of an EX650 seat, but you get the idea):

^ Yeah the gel seat is a bit steep at 15,000 baht or so? (that's what they cost in Europe). I can vouch for the quality though, it feels very nice; not to slag the Thai saddle wizards - amazing to see them at work - but the gel seat is quite likely more comfortable for touring.

Just noticed they now also offer a *higher* gel seat for tall people (image from Kawa Germany)

w608h405_00000340D7789116.jpg

The lower gel seat lowers the seating position by 50mm or almost 2 inches!

Edited by nikster

An AirHawk is also good for raising the bum significantly - does not look sexy but incredibly comfortable option if you are a taller rider

Instead of the 'raising the bum' option I've gone for the 'lowering the feet' option with these http://motowerk.com/loweringfootpegsblocks.aspx My neighbour is bringing them back from USA for me (and some EBC HH pads), should do the trick.

An AirHawk is also good for raising the bum significantly - does not look sexy but incredibly comfortable option if you are a taller rider

Instead of the 'raising the bum' option I've gone for the 'lowering the feet' option with these http://motowerk.com/...pegsblocks.aspx My neighbour is bringing them back from USA for me (and some EBC HH pads), should do the trick.

Only problem with lowering the pegs is that you lose cornering clearance...As it is you will drag the stock pegs before you reach the edge of the tires.

Instead of the 'raising the bum' option I've gone for the 'lowering the feet' option with these http://motowerk.com/...pegsblocks.aspx My neighbour is bringing them back from USA for me (and some EBC HH pads), should do the trick.

Only problem with lowering the pegs is that you lose cornering clearance...As it is you will drag the stock pegs before you reach the edge of the tires.

But surely they are higher than the ER6N & Ninja 650 pegs even when lowered so why would it be worse than riding one of those as stock? But getting my knee down isn't on my to-do list so I think I'll be fine and even if it is something I want to do in the future it doesn't seem to be a problem judging by this thread http://www.kawasakiv...read.php?t=2032

Actually a guy in post #35 mentions it but not a major problem.

Edited by skybluestu

I dropped the pegs using the Motowerk brackets as well. At 6" 3 (and 110 kilos ooops) I am now very very comfortable with the bikes height and ride position. I also added the motowerk bar riser which really made the riding position comfortable for me. So feet down, bum up and hands up! Only problem I have at the moment is wind buffeting because I still have the wee stock screen.

Edited by MRToMRT

I dropped the pegs using the Motowerk brackets as well. At 6" 3 (and 110 kilos ooops) I am now very very comfortable with the bikes height and ride position. I also added the motowerk bar riser which really made the riding position comfortable for me. So feet down, bum up and hands up! Only problem I have at the moment is wind buffeting because I still have the wee stock screen.

That's good to know as I'm the same height although a few kg's lighter ;)

I have a locally made windshield you can have if you want, it is tinted and 48cm tall, they retail for 2000baht but it's yours for 1000baht.

If you don't want a Thai made one then these Givi ones are pretty good and at 4100baht a fair bit cheaper than the others available through Kawasaki

http://www.gtautobike.com/product.detail_737813_th_3566749

Since I have just bought a new accord, I am now looking at other options on buying the Versys...

Does anyone have a clue if the only finance option they have is the 100000b down? I would like to put down between 180-200k, any suggestions?

Don't really want a second hand bike- the life with the brand new CBR250 is nice- any sound, dealership, any question, dealership... I like that feeling- Don't like the local somchai whose main hobby is to rip off white people.

So any suggestions?

Since I have just bought a new accord, I am now looking at other options on buying the Versys...

Does anyone have a clue if the only finance option they have is the 100000b down? I would like to put down between 180-200k, any suggestions?

Don't really want a second hand bike- the life with the brand new CBR250 is nice- any sound, dealership, any question, dealership... I like that feeling- Don't like the local somchai whose main hobby is to rip off white people.

So any suggestions?

kwakers/ge capital/krungsris finance require minimum 30-35% down, but if you down more, interest should be lower on balance

So any suggestions?

Don't rule out a used one if you can find one (I say if because I was looking for a while and there were none about on either Thai/Farang websites or Kawa dealers but found one just by luck) as it'll leave you with some $$$ for upgrades/accessories and Somchai probably wouldn't try to rip you off.

But if not then you should easily get finance on a new one, think it's around the 4.5% per year figure so maybe less if you can pay 60%+. Would have been a better option to pay 80-100k less on the Accord and financed that as the interest rates would have been much lower and then you could have bought the Versys outright.

I just upgraded from the CBR too, despite what its knockers say it is a great little bike and fantastic value for money for the Versys is far superior and much more fun! :D

^ Yeah the gel seat is a bit steep at 15,000 baht or so? (that's what they cost in Europe). I can vouch for the quality though, it feels very nice; not to slag the Thai saddle wizards - amazing to see them at work - but the gel seat is quite likely more comfortable for touring.

Just noticed they now also offer a *higher* gel seat for tall people (image from Kawa Germany)

w608h405_00000340D7789116.jpg

The lower gel seat lowers the seating position by 50mm or almost 2 inches!

Looks like my worries were ill found. Got the new V today in white and its just about right after all. Just need to get some decent weather to run it now.

Looks like my worries were ill found. Got the new V today in white and its just about right after all. Just need to get some decent weather to run it now.

Ecxellent! Post some pix, please! B)

Not quite sure how to post pics or I would be happy to.

Just had a good ride out up around the mountain roads from Chiang Mai through Fang, Tha Ton over to Chiang Rai and back down the 118 (which is a right mess at the moment) to Chiang Mai. First proper ride on it and a 471 km trip. Not a bad day out and I'm so happy I got rid of the little Ninja and moved up to this.

Loving it !!!!

thumbsup.gif

Just had a good ride out up around the mountain roads from Chiang Mai through Fang, Tha Ton over to Chiang Rai and back down the 118 (which is a right mess at the moment) to Chiang Mai. First proper ride on it and a 471 km trip. Not a bad day out and I'm so happy I got rid of the little Ninja and moved up to this.

Loving it !!!!

thumbsup.gif

congrats on white V :)

simplest way to post pictures. Store picture in "My pictures"

start making a post, go to below post and press "Browse". find picture in "My pictures". Click it. Press "Attach This File" and picture becomes visible below "Attachments". Position marker in post where you want picture, and press "Post Picture".

Submit post, and we can view your new bike :)

Loving it !!!!

thumbsup.gif

congrats on white V :)

simplest way to post pictures. Store picture in "My pictures"

start making a post, go to below post and press "Browse". find picture in "My pictures". Click it. Press "Attach This File" and picture becomes visible below "Attachments". Position marker in post where you want picture, and press "Post Picture".

Submit post, and we can view your new bike :)

Thanks for the information & help. Pics posted above.

NICE :thumbsup:.

Never thought the Versys in white would look that good.

Maybe I've had too much coffee and sugar for the day but, there's this strong urge in me to put in a huge C.H.I.P.S. decal right in front of your the windshield and slap in "POLICE" on the panniers :D.

NICE :thumbsup:.

Never thought the Versys in white would look that good.

Maybe I've had too much coffee and sugar for the day but, there's this strong urge in me to put in a huge C.H.I.P.S. decal right in front of your the windshield and slap in "POLICE" on the panniers :D.

Go for it lol, Would be quite amusing to see it.

Agree about the bit around the headlight being black as well, think that would look good too.

Anyone good with photoshop?