2011 Kawasaki Versys Has Arrived In Thailand!

BigBikeBKK

Finally! The waiting is over! The 2011 Kawasaki Versys has arrived! icon_clap.gif

110410TonysVersys1SSR.jpg

Took the "scenic" route home and managed to put 50km on the odometer so far.

First impressions-

The Versys is geared noticeable lower than the ER6n / Ninja 650R making first gear power wheelies a cinch. Driving over manhole covers, potholes, etc in Bangkok I find the suspension on the Versys soaks up the bumps much better than the ER6n/Ninja 650R. This bike is TALL! The seat is tall, the bars are tall. Riding through traffic in Bangkok I felt like I was "above it all" icon_mrgreen.gif Definitely the tallest bike I've ever owned.

I had the privilege of riding JG's BMW F800GS on the Lampang-Chiang Mai highway and then out to Mae Rim last Sunday so it's quite interesting to compare the bikes.

JohnsBMWF800GSSSR.jpg

Very similar height and seating positions. In fact similar screens and instruments are quite similar too. Both are parallel twins. I'm not clear on the displacement of the BMW... The F650GS and F800GS apparently share the same engine? So is it an 800cc twin or a 650cc twin, or? icon_question.gif The Versys has a 17" front wheel while the F800GS has a 19" front wheel and tubed Pirelli Scorpion tires. I replaced the Dunlops on my Versys with Bridgestone Battlax BT021's as I've never been a big fan of Dunlop tires and I've heard nothing good about the stock Dunlops on the Versys. Despite the bigger front wheel I found the BMW was easy to turn and quite stable through high speed corners.

The suspension on the BMW was absolutely amazing. The Lamphun-Chiang Mai highway is mostly made up of concrete slabs and the joints between the slabs are often not terribly smooth or level so it's a great place to test a bike's suspension. When I've ridden the Ninja 650R and ER6n on that road the chassis is easily unsettled by the bumps in the road while the BMW went through the bumps like a hot knife through butter. SMOOTH is the only word that comes to mind when I think of the handling of the F800GS.

My only grumble about the F800GS is the very low redline (I think it redlines around ~9000 RPM or something like that?) and what seemed to me like a lack of power... IanBungy made a comment about how easy it is to power wheelie the F800GS but even with a nearly empty tank and scooting way back onto the pillion seat I could not get the front off the ground in first gear without using the clutch...

The Versys is geared very low. Even though I'm still breaking her in, wow, grab a fistful of throttle in first and the front wheel comes up easily, even with a full tank of gas. The Versys redlines at ~10500RPM but I'll wait until I have a couple hundred km on the clock before I take her there. It's the same engine as the ER6n/Ninja 650R but different cams and gearing give it a lot more low end grunt and less top end. Personally, for riding in Thailand I think more torque down low and less top end is a good compromise!

Love the gauges! Big white analog tach and digital speedo are very easy to read. My one complaint, as with the ER6n and Ninja 650R, is the lack of a temperature gauge...

The little screen seems quite effective. I've only had the bike up to ~140km/hr and at least up to that speed the screen does a good job. The screen is adjustable and right now it's in the lowest position.

I'll be taking the Versys on a tour to Prachuap Kiri Khan and Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park this weekend so will be able to give more feedback after the trip.

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

110410TonysVersysSSR.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here is mine. I will post some better pictures tomorrow. As an inexperienced rider, I just commute in Bangkok on my 250 (which will be up for sale soon), I was shocked how easy and forgiving the Versys was on the ride home as well as how balanced she was in traffic. I was expecting a harder commute than normal as I am used to the lightness of the KLX, but it was a dream ride home.

Edited by Whale

Awsome bike, let me know how it goes, had ER6N sold it after 12 months lost the feeling in my nads to many times :whistling: . Korat dealer say can have one next week so let us know after this weekends ride, especially the seating position. Just blowen 500k on new Vulcan but suppose you cannot have to many toys!

Edited by Revenue

Got mine today as well, somebody's already super-excited about the bike :P

post-20814-0-99956600-1288960974_thumb.j

Main surprise was how well this bike handles - it's incredible. It seems like it could turn on a dime. Rather than being more difficult to handle than the ER-6n, it's easier - not exactly what I expected given that it's much higher.

Wind protection is a huge step up from the ER-6n with the Puig windscreen.

Suspension predictably superior - fantastic.

Seat super comfortable. It's like a La-Z-Boy!

Noticeably less power though :( it's no slouch, and lightning quick in the first gear which is nice - but I am missing something. Maybe it's just different? Less engine braking too, on the whole the engine feels just much less aggressive. I found dyno stats in one Versys thread where one guy had tuned his bike to 85hp on the dyno - I think that's the way to go eventually...

Kawasaki isn't going to carry Kawasaki Vario Windscreen as sold in Europe - bummer.

versys_vairo_screen_1511_large_0v4bnk5d.jpg

Trying to source one regardless. I haven't seen the Puig they are going to get but I wasn't too impressed with the one I had - it looked great but it developed cracks around the screws. For 6000 baht I'd expect better.

Oh yes - Kawasaki Chiang Mai was too busy today to fit my Bridgestones - so I had to break her in using the stock Dunlop D221s. And yes, they are garbage. I was going slow through traffic, maybe 15kph, when a woman jumped out in front of me and I hit the front brake hard. ABS kicked in!! On my ER-6n with the Bridgestone Battlax tyres there's no way I'd have slipped when going so slow - it would just have stopped. These Dunlops are a sad excuse for a tire.

All in all, a fun day with my new love :D

Got mine today as well, somebody's already super-excited about the bike :P

post-20814-0-99956600-1288960974_thumb.j

Main surprise was how well this bike handles - it's incredible. It seems like it could turn on a dime. Rather than being more difficult to handle than the ER-6n, it's easier - not exactly what I expected given that it's much higher.

Wind protection is a huge step up from the ER-6n with the Puig windscreen.

Suspension predictably superior - fantastic.

Noticeably less power though :( it's no slouch, and lightning quick in the first gear which is nice - but I am missing something. Maybe it's just different? Less engine braking too, on the whole the engine feels just much less aggressive. I found dyno stats in one Versys thread where one guy had tuned his bike to 85hp on the dyno - I think that's the way to go eventually...

Kawasaki isn't going to carry Kawasaki Vario Windscreen as sold in Europe - bummer.

versys_vairo_screen_1511_large_0v4bnk5d.jpg

Trying to source one regardless. I haven't seen the Puig they are going to get but I wasn't too impressed with the one I had - it looked great but it developed cracks around the screws. For 6000 baht I'd expect better.

Oh yes - Kawasaki Chiang Mai was too busy today to fit my Bridgestones - so I had to break her in using the stock Dunlop D221s. And yes, they are garbage. I was going slow through traffic, maybe 15kph, when a woman jumped out in front of me and I hit the front brake hard. ABS kicked in!! On my ER-6n with the Bridgestone Battlax tyres there's no way I'd have slipped when going so slow - it would just have stopped. These Dunlops are a sad excuse for a tire.

All in all, a fun day with my new love :D

Congratulations Nikster!

The pics our "Fearless Leader" took and posted of you over on GT Rider are awesome!

Changed oil and filter yesterday and am headed off on a little road trip today- should rack up about 800-1000km over the weekend.

Shame the stock tires are such crap... I had Kawasaki switch mine to Bridgestone Battlax BT021's prior to delivery so I have a set of brand new Dunlop D221's for sale CHEAP if anybody wants them. :)

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Congratulations - I pick mine up on Monday. You win!

I've got about 30,000 miles on a VStrom1K back in the U.S., which is a somewhat bigger version of the Versys, and I've always been fond of its nimble handling which I assume to be partially because of the height rather than in spite of it. The high center of gravity makes it less stable, which is one way of gaining flickability in the corners. I swapped bikes with a friend of mine who rides a Concourse and he hated the VStrom saying he felt like he was balancing on a flagpole, while the Concourse felt like driving a station wagon to me, so it just boils down to what you like. The downside is that at low speeds, if it starts to go over, it can be harder to stop it mid-tilt, but for me that's a fair swap.

Last spring I spent a few days on an ER6n looping around the north and liked it in principle, but my legs were kinked and the seat and riding position did me in. All I had to do was sit on the Versys in the showroom on Rama 9 for five seconds and I felt like I was home, and plunked the deposit down right then.

Glad to hear that you find the seat comfortable. I've assumed that was going to be one of the first things what will need some customizing. Is it different from the ER6n's?

Thanks for the early report.

Congratulations - I pick mine up on Monday. You win!

I've got about 30,000 miles on a VStrom1K back in the U.S., which is a somewhat bigger version of the Versys, and I've always been fond of its nimble handling which I assume to be partially because of the height rather than in spite of it. The high center of gravity makes it less stable, which is one way of gaining flickability in the corners. I swapped bikes with a friend of mine who rides a Concourse and he hated the VStrom saying he felt like he was balancing on a flagpole, while the Concourse felt like driving a station wagon to me, so it just boils down to what you like. The downside is that at low speeds, if it starts to go over, it can be harder to stop it mid-tilt, but for me that's a fair swap.

Last spring I spent a few days on an ER6n looping around the north and liked it in principle, but my legs were kinked and the seat and riding position did me in. All I had to do was sit on the Versys in the showroom on Rama 9 for five seconds and I felt like I was home, and plunked the deposit down right then.

Glad to hear that you find the seat comfortable. I've assumed that was going to be one of the first things what will need some customizing. Is it different from the ER6n's?

Thanks for the early report.

Well coming from the er6n the seat is the best seat I have ever had on a bike. Perfect as it is!

Is Versys just a restyled ER-6?

Is the suspension adjustable, or is it just set up soft from the factory. This would explain the 'softer' feel.

Lastly, do you guys expect these to be available for rent in all the places that currently have a fleet of Er-6s? I would presume so... I am not in Thailand right now....

Is Versys just a restyled ER-6?

No.

Is the suspension adjustable, or is it just set up soft from the factory. This would explain the 'softer' feel.

Yes. Adjustable.

Lastly, do you guys expect these to be available for rent in all the places that currently have a fleet of Er-6s? I would presume so... I am not in Thailand right now....

Don't know ;)

Small note on the windscreen: I set it to the highest setting and I think it's actually better in lower position. Higher gives a little more wind protection but I experienced some buffeting - loud wind noises around my helmet.

The F800GS and the new F650GS are both 798cc parallel twins although the earlier F650s were 650 singles. JG also had the 650 single a few years back, changes his bikes more than his socks.

Yeah, the F800GS is supposed to be more powerful than the Versys but when I rode JG's last week I just couldn't feel it... The Beemer has incredible suspension, comfort and handling, but my butt dyno says it has less power than the Kawa 650... Of course as it's a beemer and only has a couple thousand km on the odometer maybe it's just not broken in yet and will improve over time?

Small note on the windscreen: I set it to the highest setting and I think it's actually better in lower position. Higher gives a little more wind protection but I experienced some buffeting - loud wind noises around my helmet.

Cheers Nikster,

110710VersysOdometer728KMSSR.jpg

Got back last night from a ~600+km tour to Prachuap Kiri Khan and screen is in stock (low) position and I found the bike very comfortable but have not taken her past ~160km/hr. For now I'm inclined to believe the for my height (5'10") the stock position is best.

110710VersysPitstop1SSR.jpg

The wider seat on the Versys is luxury indeed! Love it! :lol:

Will post up a full trip report on SSR and GT Rider soon!

Happy Trails!

Tony

110610KawaTripZX10RVersysSSR.jpg

Ok- one more :)

110610VersysCampgroundSSR.jpg

LOVE this bike! Got rid of the Dunlops prior to delivery and am running Bridgestone Battlax BT021's. There were almost 60 bikes on this weekend's tour- all Ninja 250R's, Ninja 650R's, ER6n's and one ZX10R. Wide mix of skills including one pro racer on an ER6n (his big sis wouldn't let him take her ZX6R for this trip ;)) and a few amateur racers on Ninja 250Rs. ZX10R was bringing up the rear. Not that this was a race mind you, but there was certainly some 'spirited' riding when the roads merited it. Clean roads I didn't stand a chance, but when the roads got a bit rough NOTHING could keep up with the Versys :lol:

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Eagerly awaiting your report Tony!! ;)

I put my windscreen back to stock position this evening - aerodynamics is a tricky beast so I think this will totally depend on your upper body height - I have relatively speaking a lot of that, or in other words, short legs ;) - maybe even your helmet. As some reviews of windscreens have noted, higher isn't automatically better. Kawa CM told me they are going to carry the OEM Vario windscreen after all, but will take Kawasaki Thailand one or two month before it will be available.

Got my insurance today at Kawa CM, it's a Falcon 1st class for 14k baht. They also had MSIG but it was 15k and had worse coverage. Apparently they're the same company anyway (anyone can confirm this?).

Did a friendly little weekend trip with the GT Riders. This was her first real outing and I was excited to see how it would do. It was amazing. The Versys could very easily keep up with Franz' beastly FJR1300 in the mountains. I sometimes kind of forgot I'm still in the break-in phase and supposed to take it easy :whistling:

Bumps were absorbed with grace, nothing could faze the suspension at all, I felt like I was going on a smooth road. Much easier and much more forgiving of mistakes than the ER-6n. Seating position is a dream, and so is comfort. I'm not used to this! Yet!

The F800GS and the new F650GS are both 798cc parallel twins although the earlier F650s were 650 singles. JG also had the 650 single a few years back, changes his bikes more than his socks.

Yeah, the F800GS is supposed to be more powerful than the Versys but when I rode JG's last week I just couldn't feel it... The Beemer has incredible suspension, comfort and handling, but my butt dyno says it has less power than the Kawa 650... Of course as it's a beemer and only has a couple thousand km on the odometer maybe it's just not broken in yet and will improve over time?

Maybe your butt dyno needs to be re-calibrated? Supposedly the F800GS has 85HP @ 7,500 rpm and 60ftlb torque and the Versys has 63HP and 45ftlb torque both at 8,000rpm. All a bit academic really when you can buy 3 Versys for the price of 1 F800. The new Triumph Tiger 800 should be interesting 100BHP, 65ftlb torque, 185kg. Think it is the current 675 motor with a longer stroke. Just have to see how ridiculously priced it is here.

Maybe your butt dyno needs to be re-calibrated? Supposedly the F800GS has 85HP @ 7,500 rpm and 60ftlb torque and the Versys has 63HP and 45ftlb torque both at 8,000rpm. All a bit academic really when you can buy 3 Versys for the price of 1 F800. The new Triumph Tiger 800 should be interesting 100BHP, 65ftlb torque, 185kg. Think it is the current 675 motor with a longer stroke. Just have to see how ridiculously priced it is here.

Well yeah, that's why I remain a bit puzzled regarding the F800GS I rode. To be honest, it felt like it was restricted or something. Ian Bungy described the F800GS as very easy to power wheelie in first but when I was riding around on JG's with a near empty tank and scooting way back onto the pillion seat I still could not get the front wheel off the ground in first without using the clutch... As I pondered earlier, maybe it's not broken in yet and still running tight? I don't know how else to explain it...

The new Triumph Tiger 800 is going to be a F800GS killer!

Top-2.jpg

More power and less weight than the Beemer! Wonder what the price tag will be in Thailand... :lol:

Ride On!

Tony

F 800GS, Tiger 800.... hmm... Anyone wanna bet an 800cc Versys is going to come :P

Also wondering when Triumph will finally get around to getting their act together and selling their bikes in Thailand direct... they're made in Thailand, right, but still somehow have the 100%+ import taxes added... I don't get it?!

One of the GT riders on the last trip had a street triple 675 - man that's a good looking bike... drool... :P

Meanwhile, Versys proved its versatility this morning delivering my 3 year old to school. Not any more unsafe than on a scooter, and he's behind the windshield so it's great. I love this bike!

First of all, congrats to all who have been lucky enough to get their Versys and are enjoying running their new toy in, in the sunshine!

I have to say, I'm envious of you and deeply frustrated by the last week or so's weather in the south. 80-100 cm of rain today means we're up to our shoulders again in 'Samui. Earliest chance to get my V will be Thr or Fri. Sigh... Well, as long as it's dry thereafter

B)

Anyway, to reply to this from @nikster;

Also wondering when Triumph will finally get around to getting their act together and selling their bikes in Thailand direct... they're made in Thailand, right, but still somehow have the 100%+ import taxes added... I don't get it?!

I think I broached this subject on the other V thread and was gently told it was a bit OT. If no probs here, then I have a view;

1) Triumph want to be seen as a British Bike - not a bike constructed in Thailand, pretending to be a British bike

2) Maybe Triumph don't want to/cannot meet the appropriate production volumes or percentage 'locally fabricated' required to satisfy whatever the Thai requirements may be for dropping the import tax?

3) Maybe Triumph thinks it will devalue their product disproportionately to the relative increase in sales? The exclusivity of having an expensive foreign bike or car is something that is deeply desirable to many people. Big kudos and all that..

Any other ideas??

Cheers

P

Edited by ThePedroDB

First of all, congrats to all who have been lucky enough to get their Versys and are enjoying running their new toy in, in the sunshine!

I have to say, I'm envious of you and deeply frustrated by the last week or so's weather in the south. 80-100 cm of rain today means we're up to our shoulders again in 'Samui. Earliest chance to get my V will be Thr or Fri. Sigh... Well, as long as it's dry thereafter

B)

Anyway, to reply to this from @nikster;

I think I broached this subject on the other V thread and was gently told it was a bit OT. If no probs here, then I have a view;

1) Triumph want to be seen as a British Bike - not a bike constructed in Thailand, pretending to be a British bike

2) Maybe Triumph don't want to/cannot meet the appropriate production volumes or percentage 'locally fabricated' required to satisfy whatever the Thai requirements may be for dropping the import tax?

3) Maybe Triumph thinks it will devalue their product disproportionately to the relative increase in sales substantially? The exclusivity of having an expensive foreign bike or car is something that is deeply desirable to many people. Big kudos and all that..

Any other ideas??

Cheers

P

kwaker is thai made and made from at least 70% thai made parts. for japs bikes these are easy to source, since all the major suppliers have been here for decades to supply japs/thai auto makers

versys comes with german bosch brakes in UK, but is here fitted with thai made Tokyco, Nissin and Denso brake parts

Triumph is unable as an "exclusive" name to reach the production volume required for BOI supported thai manufactoring

thus triumph being made in a BOI zone, avoiding importduty on the parts used, but must pay 80% importduty when "importing" bike to Thailand.

both manufactorers have to ad 30% excicetax, and as its calculted on bikes value and importduty, triumph is extremely expensive in LOS

I hope we get to see some great pix's in this thread......moded Versys pix's I mean!

Ask and ye shall receive! :lol:

110610VersysCampgroundSSR.jpg

A few more pics from this past weekend's fantastic Kawasaki trip to Prachuap Kiri Khan.

As mentioned earlier, the Versys does present some challenges for the "vertically challenged".... ;)

110710VersysGasStopSSR.jpg

Quite a climb!

110610KawaTripER6nVersysNearChaAm1SSR.jpg

But once you're up there it's all good! B)

110710VersysPic1SSR.jpg

Let the Good Times Roll!

Tony