Drought Crisis Worsening

Jai Dee

THE DROUGHT CRISIS IN NAKHON RATCHASIMA IS GETTING WORSE

The drought crisis in the north-eastern province of NAKHON RATCHASIMA (นครราชสีมา) is getting even more serious, as more than 3 million Rais of agricultural land have already been damaged, while some districts are lacking of water for consumption.

According to Mr VICHIEN KONGKAEW (วิเชียร กองแก้ว), the project manager of the LAMTAKHONG (ลำตะคอง) water management project, the drought crisis NAKHON RATCHASIMA is getting even more serious, and residents in the 26 districts and 6 sub districts of the province have been affected by the situation.

Mr VICHIEN added that water supplies at the LAMTAKHONG dams in SE-CUTE (สีคิ้ว) district are already down, as there has been no rain to increase the water levels, causing damage to agricultural land, as well as a shortage of water for consumption for local residents.

At the moment, water supplies at the LAMTAKHONG dams are already down to as little as only 20.24 million cubic metres.

The Government has asked for cooperation from business operators, resorts and golf course owners not to block the irrigation canals that link to the dams.

Source: thaisnews.com

THE DROUGHT CRISIS IN NAKHON RATCHASIMA IS GETTING WORSE

The drought crisis in the north-eastern province of NAKHON RATCHASIMA (นครราชสีมา) is getting even more serious, as more than 3 million Rais of agricultural land have already been damaged, while some districts are lacking of water for consumption.

According to Mr VICHIEN KONGKAEW (วิเชียร กองแก้ว), the project manager of the LAMTAKHONG (ลำตะคอง) water management project, the drought crisis NAKHON RATCHASIMA is getting even more serious, and residents in the 26 districts and 6 sub districts of the province have been affected by the situation.

Mr VICHIEN added that water supplies at the LAMTAKHONG dams in SE-CUTE (สีคิ้ว) district are already down, as there has been no rain to increase the water levels, causing damage to agricultural land, as well as a shortage of water for consumption for local residents.

At the moment, water supplies at the LAMTAKHONG dams are already down to as little as only 20.24 million cubic metres.

The Government has asked for cooperation from business operators, resorts and golf course owners not to block the irrigation canals that link to the dams.

Unfortunately this applies also to Surin and Burirum - what the north has too much in water, (even Pattaya has more then we have) we miss.

and apart from some local exceptions, most of those provinces will loose most of the rice this year, if there should not be substantial rains within a few days! :o

Good luck to all the farmers in Khorat. My wife and I have been going to Ram U., Khon Kaen branch, between Khon Kaen and Khorat. There are some rice fields and some which are just now being planted, but not much rain there either. Same thing as the note above, every day is cloudy, but not very much rain. On the way home, from the time we cross into Kalasin province there is plenty of rain.

Bryan

THE WATER SITUATION IN UBON RATCHATHANI IS NOT YET WORRISOME

The water situation in Ubon Ratchathani is not yet a major concern, with the water level in the Moon (มูล) River now measuring 3.45 meters.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Chief of Ubon Ratchathani, Thorrathan Shingomut (ธรธรรม์ ชินโกมุท), was assigned by the Ubon Ratchathani governor yesterday to lead the mass media to monitor the situation on the water level in the Moon River, and to highlight developments on flood prevention measures.

Mrs. Thorrathan said the water level at the ‘m-7’ measuring station at Seriprachathippatai (เสรีประชาธิปไตย) Bridge measured 3.45 meters, while the level in the Warinchamrab (วารินชำราบ) District measured 3.5 meters and that of Ubon Ratchathani City measured 4.5 meters. She added that the amount of rainwater and volume of water in the local dams were not yet too significant. Ubon Ratchathani is the last province to accommodate the water from various rivers; however, the water situation in the Moon River is not too much of a concern for the moment.

However, regarding preparations for a disaster that might occur, a committee to handle such an event has been set up, along with drills on flood prevention, as well as movement and evacuation of persons, animals, and belongings into safer areas. Nevertheless, the province does have experience in such matters.

Here in Bandung, 80 km north-east of Udon Thani, there's been plenty of rain the last 2 and half months. It seems to be like this every year, the monsoons roll in, producing torrential rain in upper Issan, but the rains seem to peter out by the time they get as far south as Korat and Buriram.

I've noticed the clouds are often coming from a westerly direction, whilst I would have thought they would be more likely to come from the east: Vietnam, China Sea route.

We certainly cant complain about the amount of rain that we have had in our small part in upper Ubon. For the past 2 months it has varied from absolute downpours to sporadic showers but I know that all the farmers surrounding our village and our farm are more than happy with what we have received.

I visited Khorat in early June and was quite jealous as they seemed to have had heaps of rain compared to us. Now it appears the tables have turned. Its unfortunate for many but we dont have any power or control over the weather.

I hope everybody gets their crops in and they all have a bumper harvest.

Good luck to you all.

THE DROUGHT CRISIS IN NAKHON RATCHASIMA IS GETTING MORE SEVERE

NAKHON RATCHASIMA (นครราชสีมา) province is now confronting the most severe drought for the past several decades, whereby a large amount of agricultural land will be severely damaged within the next 1-2 weeks.

The critical lack of rainfall in the north-eastern region this year has been even more serious than normal, which has seriously affected residents in the 26 districts and 6 sub districts of NAKHON RATCHASIMA province. In addition, a large area of agricultural land has already been severely damaged.

Meanwhile, water stored at twenty of the reservoirs in NAKHON RATCHASIMA is now well below capacity.

At the moment, water supplies at the LAMTAKHONG dams are already down to as little as only 32 million cubic metres, or 10.45 percent of the total capacity of 314 million cubic metres.

Driving from Mukdahan to Korat last week the contrast in rainfall between the two areas was astounding. Water, water everywhere in the Mekong region. All the rice fields planted and flourishing. Rice and landscape the most beautiful shades of green.

By the time we reached the vicinity of Roi Et all had changed. Many rice fields left fallow, some just being planted in the probably vain hope that rain will come. Rice in the fields that had been planted was a sickly yellow.

In our neighborhood the water is frequently off and when we do get water it is often brown with silt and leaves a thick sediment in the bottom of our cisterns.

I learned today that some baan in Korat have been told that they will soon have water only every third day.

I've decided to do my bit by cutting down on showers from every Monday to every other Monday.

Edit: Cut that last sentence. It just started raining so I'm going out to rinse off.

Edited by buadhai

I've decided to do my bit by cutting down on showers from every Monday to every other Monday.

Edit: Cut that last sentence. It just started raining so I'm going out to rinse off.

:D

I didn't know you were a soapdodger Mike... :o

I didn't know you were a soapdodger Mike... :o

Me too . I thought you were an American

THE PM WILL TRAVEL TO INSPECT DROUGHT CONDITIONS

The Prime Minister is preparing to travel to inspect the water crisis in Nakhon Ratchasima Province on August 27th, after drought conditions reduced the water supply in dams by twenty percent.

Mr. Suwat Liptapanlop (สุวัจน์ ลิปตพัลลภ), the Deputy Prime Minister, revealed that the results of drought crisis discussions concluded that drought conditions have affected many provinces, especially Nakhon Ratchasima and Chaiyaphum Province, and the North-eastern region of Thailand. The total water supply in the nation's collective dams is at less than twenty percent, an all time low for the last ten years. Without the presence of rain, water supplies will be completely exhausted by next year.

At present, citizens are lacking water for consumption and agricultural use. Therefore, government discussions agree that measures must be taken to resolve the problem as quickly as possible. These include the Royal Rainmaking project, the digging of groundwater wells, and the distribution of water by water trucks, in addition to monetary aid to agriculturists.

Damages have been estimated to occur in two million seven hundred thousand hectares of land in Nakhon Ratchasima, for a total of eight billion baht in losses. The results of today's discussions will be submitted to the Prime Minister to support his data when he travels to drought-afflicted areas on August 27th.

Ironically, I came in from a howling downpour to read JD's post. Of course, said downpour didn't last long enough to do any real good for the farmers or the water supply. Just enough to muddy the roads and soak Ms. Buadhai and I as we repotted some plants.

At least I've now had a shower today....

:o

Edited by buadhai

Ironically, I came in from a howling downpour to read JD's post. Of course, said downpour didn't last long enough to do any real good for the farmers or the water supply. Just enough to muddy the roads and soak Ms. Buadhai and I as we repotted some plants.

I am 40kms north-east of Korat.

Last night it p*ssed down for a whole 15 Seconds! :D !

Ran in to tell the wife it was raining by the time she came out it had stopped! :D !

She thought I'd been on the Chang again..... :o:D

I am 40kms north-east of Korat.

Last night it p*ssed down for a whole 15 Seconds! :D !

Ran in to tell the wife it was raining by the time she came out it had stopped! :D !

She thought I'd been on the Chang again..... :o:D

=)) I hate it when that happens .

Thanks for the thaisnews link Jai dee

THE MOAC WILL PROPOSE PROJECTS TO BUILD RUBBER DYKES AND WATER GATES IN THE NORTHEASTERN REGION

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry is set to propose projects to build rubber dykes in 154 locations and water gates in 15 areas of the north-eastern region, in a bid to resolve the current water crisis.

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister, Khun-Ying Sudarat Keyuraphan has attended a meeting to resolve the water crisis in the north-eastern part of Thailand. The meeting is expected to come up with a water management plan, which will be proposed to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on his visit to Nakhon Phanom Province tomorrow. Khun-Ying Sudarat revealed after the meeting that she plans to propose projects to the Prime Minister to construct rubber dykes in 154 spots and water gates in 15 areas across the north-eastern region of Thailand.

With a budget requirement of 2.028 billion baht, a total of 2 billion baht will be allocated to support the water gates construction project, while the remaining will go to the rubber dykes project. Khun-Ying Sudarat insisted that both projects could start immediately after the consideration and approval of a budget allocation.