Khao Soy

Spaniel

In my opinion, the best Khao Soy place for farang tourists is 'Just Khao Soy' at

108/2 Charoenphratet Rd, Chiang Mai, Thailand

The best Khao Soy place for lovers of Khao Soy is 'Khao Soy Lamduan (Fahahn)' at

352/22 Charoenraj Road, Chiang Mai+66 (0)53-243519

Edited by LJW

i dare to differ-while lamduang is or has been famous for kao soi it is out of the way and the quality of the product has diminished a lot.the place on charonpratet is a tourist trap and their overpriced kao soi's are not the real thing either. personally i would recommend a small vegetarian place -the third business coming from chiang mai gate on the left side of suriwong rd. also at khun chern as part of the lunch buffet on soi 17 nimmaheimin rd.-while i am not a vegetarian at all to me kao soi tastes much cleaner and happier without the meat.in any case it is important though to only order it in places that specialize in it - sell a lot and make it fresh every day.a few of my friends complained bitterly after having had it at daret for example although daret house is a fine restaurant otherwise and has excellent green curry for example.

just my personal opinion of course.

OK, as suggested I did a search of "khao soy". I found the three places below that got lots of praise. Can anyone give me good directions to them? Keep in mind we live in Bangkok not Chiang Mai so although we have been to CM a number of times we are still not real familiar with the city.

1. Just Khao Soy

2. Khao soy Lamduan

3. Khao soy Samoe Jai

4. Also mentioned was a place on the superhighway but no name given. The poster said there were many pics of Taksin in the restaurant.

OK, as suggested I did a search of "khao soy". I found the three places below that got lots of praise. Can anyone give me good directions to them? Keep in mind we live in Bangkok not Chiang Mai so although we have been to CM a number of times we are still not real familiar with the city.

1. Just Khao Soy

2. Khao soy Lamduan

3. Khao soy Samoe Jai

4. Also mentioned was a place on the superhighway but no name given. The poster said there were many pics of Taksin in the restaurant.

Just Khao Soy is not far from the night bazaar area there are also a few muslim khao soy vendors off the night bazaar that are pretty good.

Not sure about the other two

1. Just Khao Soy

2. Khao soy Lamduan

3. Khao soy Samoe Jai

No. 4 is actually (I think that's the place you are referring to) right next to Khao Soy Lamduan in Faham and is much better than Lamduan. It is on the opposite side of the street just a few meters away from Lamduan.

While we're on the subject of where to get the best Khao Soi -- imho, the best was from the guy in the Tanin Market. He only made Khao Soi and one other dish. But about a year ago he disappeared. I don't know whether he moved or just retired. I asked around and couldn't get any info. If any of you know who I'm referring to, I'd love an update.

TIA

1. Just Khao Soy

2. Khao soy Lamduan

3. Khao soy Samoe Jai

No. 4 is actually (I think that's the place you are referring to) right next to Khao Soy Lamduan in Faham and is much better than Lamduan. It is on the opposite side of the street just a few meters away from Lamduan.

4. it's on the left before you turn down kwang sing road as you are going to mae rim.

Muslim restaurant just off the night bazaar.

First left as you come in to the bottom end of the night bazaar. Last restaurant on the left hand side, about 200 yards. Only open from 10am to 2pm each day I believe.

Great Khao Soy and many other good dishes, curries etc and very reasonable prices.

1. Just Khao Soy

2. Khao soy Lamduan

3. Khao soy Samoe Jai

4. it's on the left before you turn down kwang sing road as you are going to mae rim.

Thaksin must have had a few favorite Khao Soy restaurants around town! The place right next to Lamduan fits the bill with the walls adorned with photos of Thaksin and the owner. It's almost a shrine to Thaksin.

OK, as suggested I did a search of "khao soy". Can anyone give me good directions to them? Keep in mind we live in Bangkok not Chiang Mai so although we have been to CM a number of times we are still not real familiar with the city.

2. Khao soy Lamduan

QUOTE LJW : "The best Khao Soy place for lovers of Khao Soy is 'Khao Soy Lamduan (Fahahn)' at

352/22 Charoenraj Road, Chiang Mai+66 (0)53-243519"

You might find Greenside's Map helpful. The link below should bring it up ; just click on "Get Directions" on the Left, type in the pop-up BOX -- GPCM GROUP--PRESS "Get directions" and an "A" icon should appear at 362, Charoen Rat Road. The Restauant, LAMDUAN FAHAM KAO SOY AT 352 IS 100 Metres SOUTH at the next Soi on the left.

http://maps.google.c...8.810037,99.005

Edited by Asmerom

So far, my favourite Khao Soy restaurant is in Nong Hoy. If you enter the soi from Mahidol Road between Varee and Asia Technology schools and continue until you come to a t-junction (to the right) with a bridge, there's a popular restaurant that has good Khao Soy.

There's another good Khao soi place near the amphur in Hang Dong, it's a bit of trek though if you don't live out that way.

Yes, very good clean place, always crowded at lunch with locals. Also a great little hole in the wall shop up in Mae Rim, just past the light on the left at the entrance to the small soi. And of course the long running shop up in Fang taking the soi to the left just before the market, shop is on the right. In other words, better bets for Thai food are now found outside the big city.

So far, my favourite Khao Soy restaurant is in Nong Hoy. If you enter the soi from Mahidol Road between Varee and Asia Technology schools and continue until you come to a t-junction (to the right) with a bridge, there's a popular restaurant that has good Khao Soy.

I think that this place has the best Khao Soy. In particular they have fish Khao Soy which is my favorite. Regular size Khao Soy is 25 Baht and the large is 35 Baht. They only give you a small plate of condiments for the Khao Soy but will give you more if you ask for it.

All in all a good restaurant off the beaten path. It is only open for lunch and is closed one day a week but now I forget which day.

OK, as suggested I did a search of "khao soy". Can anyone give me good directions to them? Keep in mind we live in Bangkok not Chiang Mai so although we have been to CM a number of times we are still not real familiar with the city.

2. Khao soy Lamduan

QUOTE LJW : "The best Khao Soy place for lovers of Khao Soy is 'Khao Soy Lamduan (Fahahn)' at

352/22 Charoenraj Road, Chiang Mai+66 (0)53-243519"

You might find Greenside's Map helpful. The link below should bring it up ; just click on "Get Directions" on the Left, type in the pop-up BOX -- GPCM GROUP--PRESS "Get directions" and an "A" icon should appear at 362, Charoen Rat Road. The Restauant, LAMDUAN FAHAM KAO SOY AT 352 IS 100 Metres SOUTH at the next Soi on the left.

Asmerom, Thanks for the directions. I was able to locate it on my CM road map so will be able to get to Lamduan ok. I haven't been able to locate 108 Charoenphratet Road where Just Khao Soy is located. Can you tell me what area of the city this road is in? Thanks again for all the replies.

QUOTE Asmerom :

Asmerom, Thanks for the directions. I was able to locate it on my CM road map so will be able to get to Lamduan ok. I haven't been able to locate 108 Charoenphratet Road where Just Khao Soy is located. Can you tell me what area of the city this road is in? Thanks again for all the replies.

QUOTE : LJW : "In my opinion, the best Khao Soy place for farang tourists is 'Just Khao Soy' at

108/2 Charoenphratet Rd, Chiang Mai, Thailand"

South East area - outside the moat but the city side of the Ping whereas Charoen Rat Road was the other side of the river.

On the Road running down the Eastern side of the moat ,about halfway down is Thappae Road, a major thoroughfare , a little further south is Loi Khor / Khro Road. Walking or fingering the map, go down (EAST) Loi Khroh Road past the huge Duang Tawan Hotel, straight across the busy Chang Klan Road to the Charoen Prathet Road which runs parallel to the Ping River.From the Duang Tawan,where you might be staying,its 500 metres to the Charoen Prathet Road. From here you can see the iron bridge acoss the road. Turrn right here and 50 metres south is Soi 7. "Just Khao Soy" is a little further along. That's just a walk through to give you an idea of where it is and its the way I'd go.

By car (Charoen Prathet is one way -North) you'd probably go down SRIDONCHAI ROAD (east toward the river) which you'll find starts at the SE corner of the moat. After about 1.2kms you reach the Charoen Prathet Road. You may see The Chedi Hotel across the road. Turn left and Just Khao Soy is 400 metres on the left well before the iron bridge. I don't have a car so whether you could park anywhere near here I don't know. I doubt it. A Thai probably would.

I just hope I've got my lefts and rights correct.

Best of luck with No 4 Restaurant on your list which is , I quote : "on the superhighway" ; "next to Soy Lamduan in Faham" ; "its on the opposite side of the street" ; "its on the left as you go down kwang sing road as your'e going to mae rim". You'd work up quite an appetite before you got there, I think.smile.gif

Anyone know "kwang sing road"?

Edited by Asmerom

QUOTE Asmerom :

QUOTE : LJW : "In my opinion, the best Khao Soy place for farang tourists is 'Just Khao Soy' at

108/2 Charoenphratet Rd, Chiang Mai, Thailand"

South East area - outside the moat but the city side of the Ping whereas Charoen Rat Road was the other side of the river.

On the Road running down the Eastern side of the moat ,about halfway down is Thappae Road, a major thoroughfare , a little further south is Loi Khor / Khro Road. Walking or fingering the map, go down (EAST) Loi Khroh Road past the huge Duang Tawan Hotel, straight across the busy Chang Klan Road to the Charoen Prathet Road which runs parallel to the Ping River.From the Duang Tawan,where you might be staying,its 500 metres to the Charoen Prathet Road. From here you can see the iron bridge acoss the road. Turrn right here and 50 metres south is Soi 7. "Just Khao Soy" is a little further along. That's just a walk through to give you an idea of where it is and its the way I'd go.

By car (Charoen Prathet is one way -North) you'd probably go down SRIDONCHAI ROAD (east toward the river) which you'll find starts at the SE corner of the moat. After about 1.2kms you reach the Charoen Prathet Road. You may see The Chedi Hotel across the road. Turn left and Just Khao Soy is 400 metres on the left well before the iron bridge. I don't have a car so whether you could park anywhere near here I don't know. I doubt it. A Thai probably would.

I just hope I've got my lefts and rights correct.

Best of luck with No 4 Restaurant on your list which is , I quote : "on the superhighway" ; "next to Soy Lamduan in Faham" ; "its on the opposite side of the street" ; "its on the left as you go down kwang sing road as your'e going to mae rim". You'd work up quite an appetite before you got there, I think.smile.gif

Anyone know "kwang sing road"?

Thanks again. I found Charoen Prathet Road on my map. I will be driving and we are staying at the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel so Just Khao Soy looks like it will be easy to drive to.

1. Just Khao Soy - I wouldn't pay that much for Khao Soi

2. Khao soy Lamduan - I really want to like it but don't like their version of it

3. Khao soy Samoe Jai - quite like their recipe but they often kill it with the chilli, often way too hot before the chilli paste they give you has been added

4. Also mentioned was a place on the superhighway but no name given. The poster said there were many pics of Taksin in the restaurant. I think this one is another Lamduan by the Kuang Singh intersection - outer edge, west side - big Thai/Shan style building

I think the other one in Hang Dong mentioned is also Lamduan, another branch. That's what I was told. Does the sign say that?

The one by the 3 kings monument is passable, bit bland but not too bad.

I'm afraid I don't like the Khao Sois at the muslim restaurants off Changklan. Comes an anaemic looking white colour and tastes a bit weird to me.

Have been taken to a couple of restaurants in Sansai / Mae Jo area which produced quite good Khao Soi. One on road that runs east from Mae Jo Uni (about 6? kms). The other in the back of the boonies around Sansai. Really good, in old teak building, with some tall bamboo to the right and back. Would really like to go again but am clueless as to where it was. It was packed out at lunchtime.

I'm an avid Khao Soi taster :D

Agree wholeheartedly - the only people who pay that much are tourists who don't know the 'real' price, or those that think it's something special just because of the restaurant's name.

As you can see Spaniel, many to choose from and all pretty good recommendations.

I love the stuff, in fact crave for it sometimes.

My suggestion is try something like Just Khao Soy near the back of the Night Bazaar and then try a more 'native' version out on 121 Road. PM me and I'll give you convoluted directions.

Great to have a point of comparison and really rewarding when you have a 'native' version at about 1/4 of the price.

Agree wholeheartedly - the only people who pay that much are tourists who don't know the 'real' price, or those that think it's something special just because of the restaurant's name.

You do get huge bowls of the stuff at Just Khao Soi and it tastes good, Haven't been for about four years but I had a residents discount card that gave me and my guests 50% off so it always seemed good value. I suppose your paying for the air con and a bit more of an upscale restaurant. If I was in town for a few days rather than living here I'd say it was worth a look.

i dare to differ-while lamduang is or has been famous for kao soi it is out of the way and the quality of the product has diminished a lot.the place on charonpratet is a tourist trap and their overpriced kao soi's are not the real thing either. personally i would recommend a small vegetarian place -the third business coming from chiang mai gate on the left side of suriwong rd. also at khun chern as part of the lunch buffet on soi 17 nimmaheimin rd.-while i am not a vegetarian at all to me kao soi tastes much cleaner and happier without the meat.in any case it is important though to only order it in places that specialize in it - sell a lot and make it fresh every day.a few of my friends complained bitterly after having had it at daret for example although daret house is a fine restaurant otherwise and has excellent green curry for example.

Daret house a fine restaurant? I went there tonight and the chicken potato curry was basically water with a few strips of chicken and potatoes. The worst curry I've had in Thailand. May be the other stuff on the menu is good but I can't fathom going back to check when there are so many other good restaurants around.

Nice to see people using my map, by the way! I just added my favourite place for Khao Soy - look for No Name Restaurant in the index. It's only open for breakfast and lunch (and not on Sundays) but has the best KS moo in town for my 25 baht but let's face it, it's a pretty easy dish to make and you've got to be a bit of a klutz in the kitchen to do it badly.

Daret house a fine restaurant? I went there tonight and the chicken potato curry was basically water with a few strips of chicken and potatoes. The worst curry I've had in Thailand. May be the other stuff on the menu is good but I can't fathom going back to check when there are so many other good restaurants around.

You must have been on an off night. Every Thai I've been to Darets with loved the food there. I go there often and think the food is fine and the price really can't be beat anywhere. Beer is very cheap and the staff are nice, friendly people. Even when everywhere else in town is deserted, Darets House is usually packed.