Orthopaedic Or Neurosurgeon?

nontharic

I would appreciate help from anyone with experience with Bangkok medical care/surgery for myelopathy aka radiculopathy? After experiencing numbness in my right leg I saw a GP at a major BKK hospital who referred me to a neurosurgeon if it did not improve. After a month it was worse (my shoulder also) so I followed up and had a neurosurgeon-recommended MRI. This shows that nerves are being pinched by calcification on the 4,5,6,vertebrae at my neck. They propose surgery to remove the vertebrae and insert a prosthesis. The surgeon glossed over any risks and did not suggest any alternatives to the knife so I am not thrilled to continue with him.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? If so,any experiences shared would be a help and any recommendations of surgeons I should talk to ---orthopeadic(How IS that spelled??) or neurosurgeon?---would be much appreciated. As an alternative I tried Celebrex for a month when traveling, based on internet information. It helped somewhat but not enough to put off the need to get reliablecare.We are in the Bangkok area.

Thanks--any inputs, ideas, suggestions are welcomed.

I would appreciate help from anyone with experience with Bangkok medical care/surgery for myelopathy aka radiculopathy? After experiencing numbness in my right leg I saw a GP at a major BKK hospital who referred me to a neurosurgeon if it did not improve. After a month it was worse (my shoulder also) so I followed up and had a neurosurgeon-recommended MRI. This shows that nerves are being pinched by calcification on the 4,5,6,vertebrae at my neck. They propose surgery to remove the vertebrae and insert a prosthesis. The surgeon glossed over any risks and did not suggest any alternatives to the knife so I am not thrilled to continue with him.   

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? If so,any experiences shared would be a help  and any recommendations of surgeons I should talk to ---orthopeadic(How IS that spelled??) or neurosurgeon?---would be much appreciated. As an alternative I tried Celebrex for a month when traveling, based on internet information. It helped somewhat but not enough to put off the need to get reliablecare.We are in the Bangkok area.

Have suffered from this for 4 years. Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy caused by damage to the 4th and 5th vertebrae during a horse riding accident. I also was given the option of suffering or having an operation. The op. not really advised unless your quality of life is unbearable. There are considerable risks which I was not prepared to take. Tried all sorts of anti inflammatories and painkillers. Just rely on kapake capsules for quick pain relief nowadays. Symptoms often go into remission, but if I then sleep awkwardly they return with a vengence.

It is a matter for individual choice whether to have the op. I decided not to as my legs were initially affected, but now I only have problems with my arms.

Good Luck with your decision.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? If so,any experiences shared would be a help  and any recommendations of surgeons I should talk to ---orthopeadic(How IS that spelled??) or neurosurgeon?---would be much appreciated. As an alternative I tried Celebrex for a month when traveling, based on internet information. It helped somewhat but not enough to put off the need to get reliablecare.We are in the Bangkok area.

Maybe I can help!! had mylopathy in C4,5 and 6, Had surgery in Brisbane, 4years ago, I have a titanium steel cage , with bonegraft in place of the 3 vertebrae, for the first 3 years after the op was pain free, now all the syptoms are coming back, on permanent anti imflamatories(celebrex) and pain management Tramil so suggest leave well alone , look for a sensible pain management scheme, to give you a decent quality of life,,Nignoy

Have suffered from this for 4 years. Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy caused by damage to the 4th and 5th vertebrae during a horse riding accident. I also was given the option of suffering or having an operation. The op. not really advised unless your quality of life is unbearable. There are considerable risks which I was not prepared to take. Tried all sorts of anti inflammatories and painkillers. Just rely on kapake capsules for quick pain relief nowadays. Symptoms often go into remission, but if I then sleep awkwardly they return with a vengence.

It is a matter for individual choice whether to have the op. I decided not to as my legs were initially affected, but now I only have problems with my arms.

Good Luck with your decision.