Shipping Some Stuff From Canada To Chiang Mai

thaitar

I'm going to live in Chiang Mai for 6 months. Want to transfer some belongings with me. Just wondering what are the options and costs associated. I'm not brining a lot, definitely don't need an entire container. Thinking of bringing my 24" monitors, and maybe some books, a phone, etc... Just some tech gear for work. What is the best way for this?

Books ...... buy a Kindle

Monitors cheap over here ..... not worth the effort of transporting

Ya, I was wondering about Kindles. Do they work over there? Don't they need 3G, which from what I read is not very reliable over there?

As for monitors, how much would 24" wide screen Dell go for?

Books ...... buy a Kindle

Monitors cheap over here ..... not worth the effort of transporting

Ya, I was wondering about Kindles. Do they work over there? Don't they need 3G, which from what I read is not very reliable over there?

As for monitors, how much would 24" wide screen Dell go for?

Load it up with books before you come, or load from the internet ....... many books floating around, Kindle reads MOBI format, calibre (free) will convert from any format to MOBI.

Buy 5 Kindle 3s, bring them in luggage, sell at a profit, many buyers. Make enough to pay for 2 monitors.

Monitor ..... 24" Samsung about 5000bht ($140)

I use a 32" Samsung TV (HDMI input) that cost 17,000bht ($500)

Edited by sarahsbloke

Buy 5 Kindle 3s, bring them in luggage, sell at a profit, many buyers. Make enough to pay for 2 monitors.

Where can I sell them? Will some store take them all or do I need to find individuals to buy them via some classifieds or something like that?

Where can I sell them? Will some store take them all or do I need to find individuals to buy them via some classifieds or something like that?

You could sell them in the classifieds here for at least $40 more than you paid.

Or ex-pats club, or anywhere ex-pats hang out.

Kindle charges $50 shipping and $40 import tax on their sale price.

Just search TV for 'Kindle' and see how many are looking for a place to buy!

You could sell them in the classifieds here for at least $40 more than you paid.

Or ex-pats club, or anywhere ex-pats hang out.

Kindle charges $50 shipping and $40 import tax on their sale price.

Just search TV for 'Kindle' and see how many are looking for a place to buy!

Does the country of origin matter? Aren't they "locked" to a specific provider? Should I get a Canadian or US one? Thank you!

$139 = 4200bht ....... so I would happily pay 5200bht

Just checked Amazon USA, $139 Kindle shipped to me in ChiangMai costs $201 ...$62 extra, the $189 eg version shipped to CM $261 ... $72 extra

Just checked Canada and USA sites, CAN$=USA$, both say global 3g/edge and state works in Thailand, so doesn't matter about country of origin.

Edited by sarahsbloke