Appendicitis......

Gary A

It’s been a tough week. Early this week I had some sharp pains in my right side. After a couple of days it felt like I had some torn stomach muscles. Of course I ignored it. Thursday my girlfriend finally convinced me that I HAD to go to the clinic to see a doctor. The doctor poked around on my abdomen some and told her that I had to go to the hospital immediately. He was pretty sure it was acute appendicitis. I went to the closest private hospital, Muang Loei Ram. They took a urine sample, a blood sample, an X-ray and did an ultrasound. I told them I had last eaten at 10 o'clock in the morning. The surgeon said that it is better to wait at least 8 hours before doing surgery. He was pretty certain that my appendix would not burst waiting that long. At 6 o'clock I was on the cutting table. That's the last I remembered until 7:30. That was Thursday evening. Yesterday, Saturday they released me and here I am at home. Since I have never had anything like that I don't have anything to compare it to. That said it was and still is very painful. I would have much preferred to go to Bangkok but I was in no condition to make the trip. I was up at 3 AM this morning because I'm tired of being in bed. I couldn't sleep anyways. My girlfriend was upset at the hospital because she said that they overcharged me a lot. The bill was 48,000 baht for everything. ($1,170) I told her not to worry about it because my Thai insurance will pay it anyways. I ended up getting really pissed off at her for harping at me about it. I was/am in no mood to worry about money. I don't anticipate and problem with the insurance company (NSI), but time will tell. If they have a problem with the bill I'll cancel the policy and find another company. That hospital is not on their direct payment list.

It’s been a tough week. Early this week I had some sharp pains in my right side. After a couple of days it felt like I had some torn stomach muscles. Of course I ignored it. Thursday my girlfriend finally convinced me that I HAD to go to the clinic to see a doctor. The doctor poked around on my abdomen some and told her that I had to go to the hospital immediately. He was pretty sure it was acute appendicitis. I went to the closest private hospital, Muang Loei Ram. They took a urine sample, a blood sample, an X-ray and did an ultrasound. I told them I had last eaten at 10 o'clock in the morning. The surgeon said that it is better to wait at least 8 hours before doing surgery. He was pretty certain that my appendix would not burst waiting that long. At 6 o'clock I was on the cutting table. That's the last I remembered until 7:30. That was Thursday evening. Yesterday, Saturday they released me and here I am at home. Since I have never had anything like that I don't have anything to compare it to. That said it was and still is very painful. I would have much preferred to go to Bangkok but I was in no condition to make the trip. I was up at 3 AM this morning because I'm tired of being in bed. I couldn't sleep anyways. My girlfriend was upset at the hospital because she said that they overcharged me a lot. The bill was 48,000 baht for everything. ($1,170) I told her not to worry about it because my Thai insurance will pay it anyways. I ended up getting really pissed off at her for harping at me about it. I was/am in no mood to worry about money. I don't anticipate and problem with the insurance company (NSI), but time will tell. If they have a problem with the bill I'll cancel the policy and find another company. That hospital is not on their direct payment list.

Did they confirm it was the appendix that was infected. My daughter had hers taken out and they said "oh sorry it wasn't that after all".

I agree with your girlfriend. Seems a lot when it's a minor operation (watched one yesterday on The Health Channel).I only paid 7000 baht for my sister-in-law's C Section and the baby is much bigger than your appendix :o

Did they confirm it was the appendix that was infected. My daughter had hers taken out and they said "oh sorry it wasn't that after all".

I agree with your girlfriend. Seems a lot when it's a minor operation (watched one yesterday on The Health Channel).I only paid 7000 baht for my sister-in-law's C Section and the baby is much bigger than your appendix :o

My step daughter had an appendix opp 6 years ago. Cost 5500 Baht. Cant see it going up in price by that much. Hope you recover soon.

Approximately 50% of appendix operations are not needed, the prior pain just being bad guts. If you don't get appendicitis in the first 35 years of life, you are unlikely to. A good test for appendicitis is lie flat on your back and attempt to bring your right knee up towards your right shoulder. If you can do it without excess pain, then it is unlikely it is appendicitis. Fever is often present with appendicitis.

But of course to be on the safe side see a Doctor. If you live in Pattaya go to Sattahip Sirrikitt hospital: Total cost approx 7-8 thousand baht, prior to surgery request that your appendix is sent to pathology for final analysis.

Approximately 50% of appendix operations are not needed, the prior pain just being bad guts. If you don't get appendicitis in the first 35 years of life, you are unlikely to. A good test for appendicitis is lie flat on your back and attempt to bring your right knee up towards your right shoulder. If you can do it without excess pain, then it is unlikely it is appendicitis.  Fever is often present with appendicitis.

But of course to be on the safe side see a Doctor. If you live in Pattaya go to Sattahip Sirrikitt hospital: Total cost approx 7-8 thousand baht, prior to surgery request that your appendix is sent to pathology for final analysis.

Gary,

Sounds like you a doing better. I am with you on this one, no time to worry about prices when you are doubled over in pain. I am sure your insurance company will sort it out.

Eric