Nokia N 8

R123

there is the Symbian/android/iPhone operating system issue to consider...plenty of discussion in the 'mobile internet and devices' section of this forum...

Some of us are not technically minded so can you please tell me in a non-technical way:

1)What is the difference between Symbian/android/iPhone operating systems?, and,

2) Why is that difference an issue assuming it is, and what is its' importance, in using a mobile phone here in Thailand specifically the N8?

Believe the big issue is web browsing and response time and no review I have read has ever considered Symbian in the same league. Erratic and slow seems to be the most common complaint.

So if for calls/music/camera and some email it may be fine and perhaps the best choice. But if web activity/business is going to be undertaken it may not be a good choice.

FYI: I still use a basic Nokia phone/phone so no experience with PDA/Smart Phones and only passing what I have read on them (as I shop for grandchildren who need to know/use current technology).

there is the Symbian/android/iPhone operating system issue to consider...plenty of discussion in the 'mobile internet and devices' section of this forum...

Some of us are not technically minded so can you please tell me in a non-technical way:

1)What is the difference between Symbian/android/iPhone operating systems?, and,

2) Why is that difference an issue assuming it is, and what is its' importance, in using a mobile phone here in Thailand specifically the N8?

I ain't technically minded either with regard to mobile devices but for me the issue is that there are a lot more phones available with the android OS compared to only one phone with iPhone or Symbian with an associated range of prices...ultimately things come down to the features the user likes, I've got an HTC wildfire that uses android 2.1 and that's enough for me as I'm a new smart phone user...folks really get into the 'applications' and stuff but that don't mean much to me...

my phone was an impulse buy at Schipol airport a few months ago and it is a neat change from a basic nokia 1680...I've always gone for nokia products in the past but I read some stuff about android that made it sound more appealing for a smart phone...check out the 'mobile devices' forum, it ain't that technical...

I reckon that one day most phones will have a touch screen and wanted to try one out without having to go 'whole hog' with a top of the line model...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

Symbian is crap. iPhone is good. Android is fine.

If you're not technically minded, why not go with the owner satisfaction scores: "Seventy-seven percent of iPhone users reported being "very satisfied" with their devices, compared to 72 percent of Android users, 41 percent of BlackBerry users, 33 percent of Palm users, and 25 percent of Windows Mobile users. (ChangeWave points out that for the Palm Pre specifically, the number was 58 percent.)" Note that the iPhone has been the leader in owner satisfaction since its introduction in 2007. They're doing something right.

Definition of crap: Slow. Stuttering. Crashing. Sometimes not working. Very hard to update. Very few updates are ever released.

• 1 month later...

Symbian is crap. iPhone is good. Android is fine.

Definition of crap: Slow. Stuttering. Crashing. Sometimes not working. Very hard to update. Very few updates are ever released.

Sorry, this post needs a response to clear up a few misconceptions.

The Symbian on the N8 is a brand new version (Symbian^3) that suffers none of the issues of previous versions, it is very stable and smooth and has no problems working with the hardware. In addition, Nokia are probably one of the best in terms of providing regular updates for their phones, the N8 is due to receive an update early in the new year that will further improve the navigation experience as well as provide a new web browser, probably one of the only negatives of the current software.

As for the phone itself a couple of standout features;

- The best camera in a phone on the market, 12 MP with Xenon flash. From personal experience the quality is better than many P&S cameras.

- Lots of memory, 16 GB built in but expandable to 48 GB with micro SD card.

- USB on the go (USBOTG), you can attach any external memory device (USB, HDD, Camera etc) and interact with the phone.

- HDMI out, you can attach the phone to your TV to watch pics or video in HD (with surround sound).

- Excellent value for money - only B16,500.

If these interest you then consider the phone, otherwise there are plenty of alternatives on the market.