Reasons I Am Leaving Pattaya

AndyPooots

So after living in Pattaya for the better part of ten years I have decided to leave. I am moving to BKK I am not sure how long I will last maybe i will miss Pattaya like crazy and be back in two weeks, maybe I will never come here again, I'll find out.

The reasons I am leaving Patts are:

To many Russians, that is to say to many Russian/European families. I have nothing against them personally of course and I am glad Pattaya is doing well in this respect, but when i first moved here i felt like I was living (rightly or wrongly) in the best kept secret in the world.

I now feel as i drive around Patts that it has lost that Asian far away feel and is more like costa del sol!, I know that sounds silly but its just how i feel right now. I know the go go bars and girls are still here and i doubt that element will ever go away, and it will always be great to party here, but as far as living here full-time it has lost the appeal.

Now the next reason will sound completely ridiculous, however it is becasue of the traffic! I drive a car now and every day i feel its busier and busier on the roads, every weekend seems to be a festival and the roads are just chocka all the time, I know you can get around quick on a bike but after years on a bike and am tired of that, dust noise and danger!

I wont travel too far from the main Suki area in bkk and when ever im there I get about without much fuss between, the bts, mrt, motorcycles taxis, and walking.

My plan will be to stay away from patts until I am really missing it, and then jsut come down for the odd weekend here and there, try and get the novelty back.I will always love patts deep down in my heart, I have had a great ten years here.

Good bye Pattaya you have been a cruel mistress and I thank you for that whole heartedly.

Edited by AndyPooots

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"To many Russians, that is to say to many Russian/European families"

Thats right, blame other people for your own inability to integrate.

I have just recently returned from living and working in the area (working in Laem Chabang & Living in Pattaya), I guess I should feel guilty about driving you away.

Edited by mallyrd

from what you said in your post, you will HATE bangkok .... i give you a week before you are back in pattaya...

I lived in BKK for 9 months back in 2000 and i'm currently doing every other weekend there.

You may be right of course but I get a buzz out of being in bkk, the same buzz i use to get living here sadly thats gone.

I have just recently returned from living and working in the area (working in Laem Chabang & Living in Pattaya), I guess I should feel guilty about driving you away.

I think you took my post wrong. What i meant was i am tired of living in a beach side resort kind of town. I have nothing agianst holiday makers nor legitimate ex-pats alike, and I know for sure there are abundances of both in bkk, its just Pattaya has lost what it once had as far as i am concerned on a personal level.

No hate here my friend, i wish you the all the best and hope you have many happy years here as i have.

I appreciate your feelings on how things have chances over the years. Most have been for the better and some not. I did just the opposite aas you, lived in BKK for 3 years before moving to Pattaya. While I had a great time in Bangers, I would not want to live there again. The pollution (air, water, noise, particulate matter and VOCs from the oil refinery just off Sukie were just too much to take any longer.

Bangkok will too loose its allure...so where to next?

Edited by FarangBuddha

I think you took my post wrong. What i meant was i am tired of living in a beach side resort kind of town. I have nothing agianst holiday makers nor legitimate ex-pats alike, and I know for sure there are abundances of both in bkk, its just Pattaya has lost what it once had as far as i am concerned on a personal level.

No hate here my friend, i wish you the all the best and hope you have many happy years here as i have.

No offense taken.

I am into to my 24th year and still love the place to bits (Thailand that is), 10 years is at novice stage.

Edited by mallyrd

BKK is really not an alternative....expensive, polluted, crowded, jammed.

Only advantage, better for shopping of all kind of stuff. But I agree, that Pattaya lost good part of flair and it was more fun years before.

i see where your coming from, staying in BKK for work its nice to pop down to Pattaya a couple of times a month, and those that say the traffic is worse than Pattaya either work in a bad area or do not use the public transport well enough. mind you what the <deleted> do i know, have only been here a couple of years :whistling:

Pattaya has changed in the last few years, some will like it others wont, but it will always be a good weekend away...a bit like Blackpool on a bank holiday weekend :rolleyes:

If you are really leaving Pattaya for the reasons that you give, i would have thought that you'd be headed to Chiang Mai, and not Krung Thep....

I agree on that.

It sounds on OP that he's a single man so maybe C.M. is too boring :whistling:

I live here in Patts as a married man and I/we love it. I even suggested to my wife to move to C.M. and she said no way, you will be bored and wants to move back to Patts. within a year (no I am not butterflying, honestly) and she is properly right.

I think as others also said, you will be back again when you had enough of the traffic, bad air and limited bar scenes (areas).

My wife and I ran screaming out of BKK after 3 years living there and only go back for 5 days at the time, tops.

Well I shall see how it goes, what i feel i am looking for in life now is the buzz of living in a big city, and BKK fits the bill al-right but this will be test for myself, i may be back in a week with my tail between my legs lol.

I doubt it will be that quick to be honest, I am sure I'll last at least 6 months, as I said lived there for 9 months before and love being there when I go at weekends (admittedly that is mostly to party) .

As mentioned in the OP I don't like being around throngs of holiday makers, not hating on them as said, but as another poster said I am the one not integrating, well I want to integrate but with the people and culture of the country i am in, not Russian/western holiday makers.

As for the bar scene in BKK its big enough for me and I feel there is more than enough for me to do, between work, the gym, drinking, and if i finally take up Aikido (as i keep promising myself to do) i think I'll be occupied enough!

You know another option is to move out to the country. 15 minutes from Pattaya is Ban Ampur & 20 minutes you're in Bang Saray. Very nice low traffic & Pattaya is just a jump to get to from here. Bangkok is far worse for traffic.....when you get stuck in traffic & see people walking faster than you get to drive for a 1/2 an hour :unsure:

You know another option is to move out to the country. 15 minutes from Pattaya is Ban Ampur & 20 minutes you're in Bang Saray. Very nice low traffic & Pattaya is just a jump to get to from here. Bangkok is far worse for traffic.....when you get stuck in traffic & see people walking faster than you get to drive for a 1/2 an hour :unsure:

No Ban Ampur is exactly not what i am looking for, not to say it isn't nice there, its lovely in fact. What I am craving is sky scrapers, sky trains and the big city life style :)

Personally, I'm leaving just because I'm tired of living in a congested and noisy tourist town.

Might head to Chiang Mail/Rai or Isaan, somewhere I am not overrun by Iranians, Indians and 'Rudeskies'.

I will finally have some peace and quiet in my life and enjoy the 'real' Thailand. :closedeyes:

Edited by chops

No Ban Ampur is exactly not what i am looking for, not to say it isn't nice there, its lovely in fact. What I am craving is sky scrapers, sky trains and the big city life style :)

Come to Singapore then.

Far nicer big city than Bangkok.

Edited by soihok

So the OP wants a change of scenery.

No matter what the reasons, it's up to him.

What I don't understand is the reason to post this on a forum where you know you're going to get a lot of flack.

And for some of the posters here, have you any idea how racist, biased, opinionated you sound?

Just my 2 pfennig.

Yermanee

Well if that is what you are looking for, go for it and good luck with it. The Big Mango is a fascinating place in many ways B)

I moved out of Bangkok to a much nicer place....would never have considered pattaya.....I actually now enjoy driving around most days with the windows down, no aircon on in the car, no aircon at all in the house, fans not required during the day probably 60% of the time, fans not required at night at least 80% of the time and probably more likely 90%.

Peak hour traffic might lose me 3 minutes on an avergae drive.

Is bliss.

If I told my wife we were selling and moving to Bangkok, we'd be outta here in a heartbeat. She loves it there. I do too, but have problems with the bad air...and get tired of all the traffic and noise. But, it is a fantastic city. So many places to eat!!!!!!

I moved out of Bangkok to a much nicer place....would never have considered pattaya.....I actually now enjoy driving around most days with the windows down, no aircon on in the car, no aircon at all in the house, fans not required during the day probably 60% of the time, fans not required at night at least 80% of the time and probably more likely 90%.

Peak hour traffic might lose me 3 minutes on an avergae drive.

Is bliss.

Care to share your secret place? Sounds great!!!! I never turn off the AC in the car...though it does get put on low at times. :rolleyes: