Reasons I Am Leaving Pattaya

AndyPooots

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the OP wants a change of scenery.

No matter what the reasons, it's up to him.

What I don't understand is the reason to post this on a forum where you know you're going to get a lot of flack.

And for some of the posters here, have you any idea how racist, biased, opinionated you sound?

Just my 2 pfennig.

Yermanee

I don't believe I have had a lot of flak.

I was hoping to have an open discussion about my moving and reasons why. I thought it was going OK so far.

Anyway time will tell, keep checking the bkk forum for "Reasons Why I am returning to Pattaya" LOL

I moved out of Bangkok to a much nicer place....would never have considered pattaya.....I actually now enjoy driving around most days with the windows down, no aircon on in the car, no aircon at all in the house, fans not required during the day probably 60% of the time, fans not required at night at least 80% of the time and probably more likely 90%.

Peak hour traffic might lose me 3 minutes on an avergae drive.

Is bliss.

Care to share your secret place? Sounds great!!!! I never turn off the AC in the car...though it does get put on low at times. :rolleyes:

Not really interested as most such places have painfully slow internet connections and I'd have to travel for miles for a decent cup of coffee or a decent farang meal.

Perhaps he moved to Bradford or Leeds....no need for air cons there either.

Watch it mate - that's my other home apart from Isaan - slap bang in between Bradford and Leeds. Now that was much more of a culture shock than moving from Pattaya to Bangkok, moving to Pudsey after a thirty year career in the City of London!

Not really interested as most such places have painfully slow internet connections and I'd have to travel for miles for a decent cup of coffee or a decent farang meal.

The less interested people the better.

We have a very nice coffee shop not even 5 minutes drive away and maybe 15 minutes by bike.

We have a starbucks 30 minutes drive away.

Internet is fine, although my connection is a little slow, but thats cos I use an aircard.

Farang meals abound actually....some great, some not so great.....but cannot beat the scenery around most of them.

Personally i like to see the Russians, it makes the shopping malls interesting, and go to Jomtien beach on a nice day, the views are better than some gogo's, for me its pleasant to watch hot Russian woman walking around with their stupid looking boyfriends, sorry no problem for me. The air is not perfect in Pattaya, but Bangkok has very poor air quality

I salute the OP. He's in a position to change the scenery, and that's what he's doing. Get tired of one place. Move to another for a while. What could be wrong with that? Sounds to me like he's living the dream.

Absolutely.

We plan to be here about 5-6 years after that, rent or sell the house and move on. Too many places in the world to explore! Agrentina...steak...wine...makes me sick after what I paid for a bottle here today....

I salute the OP. He's in a position to change the scenery, and that's what he's doing. Get tired of one place. Move to another for a while. What could be wrong with that? Sounds to me like he's living the dream.

Yup, it's good to have options and be able to explore them. Good luck to the OP! The alternative is to stay put, become bitter and twisted and moan about Russians, Chinese, Indians, the color of the sky, the taste of the water, the price of somtam, the price of a f+#k, the locals and the quality of the cheese/sausages/cakes/coffee.......geez, I feeling like moving already!

After living in Pattaya for ten years, why would a few Russians bother you? At certain times of the year there is an influx of Italians, Yanks, Aussies, Brits. The same thing applies to most tourist destinations.

Traffic problems in Pattaya are far better to cope with than traffic problems in Bangkok.

.......and how can you swap a pair of rubber thongs on your feet, a pair of shorts, a loud tee shirt for the more upmarket dress requirements of Bangkok? ........not to mention saying goodbye to the evening sea breeze, the fun of the sea shore, the laid back social scene, the ever improved shopping, the variety and abundance of eateries etc.

You're swapping all that for filthy streets, oppressive heat, overly vigilant law enforcement, crowded shopping centres, slow and packed public transport, hustle and bustle etc.

Oh well, have a good time in Bangers. I'll be thinking of you as I sip on a cold beer whilst watching a beautiful sun set in paradise.

After living in Pattaya for ten years, why would a few Russians bother you? At certain times of the year there is an influx of Italians, Yanks, Aussies, Brits. The same thing applies to most tourist destinations.

Traffic problems in Pattaya are far better to cope with than traffic problems in Bangkok.

.......and how can you swap a pair of rubber thongs on your feet, a pair of shorts, a loud tee shirt for the more upmarket dress requirements of Bangkok? ........not to mention saying goodbye to the evening sea breeze, the fun of the sea shore, the laid back social scene, the ever improved shopping, the variety and abundance of eateries etc.

You're swapping all that for filthy streets, oppressive heat, overly vigilant law enforcement, crowded shopping centres, slow and packed public transport, hustle and bustle etc.

Oh well, have a good time in Bangers. I'll be thinking of you as I sip on a cold beer whilst watching a beautiful sun set in paradise.

Some very good arguments indeed!

I don't wear rubber thongs, or loud tee shirts, and shorts only in the evening and weekends, I like dressing up more up-market shall we say lol.

I haven't been to the beach in years, i have done two days at koh larn in the last 6 months, I drive down beach road most evenings stressing about the traffic rather then admiring the view.

This will prolly be a classic example of absence makes the heart grow stronger.

I do prefer the social scene in BKK though well at the moment that is...

well I guess it really depends on what exactly you are after but moving from Frantic pattaya to hectic BKK just doesn't make sense, now if you had said moving to Rayong or Chanthaburi then I may have understood your reasoning, I notice you have mentioned the things you want to get away from but what is it you are leaving behind that you want ????

I like Pattaya even more with its new international hotels,the new Central shopping center, better restaurants to choose from, and the arrival of the good looking Russians that adds some class to the place (unlike the retired fat farang acting like a dog in heat) ;we have the best of both worlds here: one has the modern conveniences of Western medical care, shopping centers, and communication (internet, satellite TV); or eat at a Thai stall, shop at a night market and get foot massages! True, Pattaya is not perfect, but I wouldn't want it to be like back home.

The less interested people the better.

We have a very nice coffee shop not even 5 minutes drive away and maybe 15 minutes by bike.

We have a starbucks 30 minutes drive away.

Internet is fine, although my connection is a little slow, but thats cos I use an aircard.

Farang meals abound actually....some great, some not so great.....but cannot beat the scenery around most of them.

If it works for you...great mate. I just couldn't wait 2 weeks to download the latest episode of Dexter on an aircard :o

I do like the fact the the closest Starbucks is 30 mins. away...that's better than me by 20 minutes...as the farther away the better :lol:

I like Pattaya even more with its new international hotels,the new Central shopping center, better restaurants to choose from, and the arrival of the good looking Russians that adds some class to the place (unlike the retired fat farang acting like a dog in heat) ;we have the best of both worlds here: one has the modern conveniences of Western medical care, shopping centers, and communication (internet, satellite TV); or eat at a Thai stall, shop at a night market and get foot massages! True, Pattaya is not perfect, but I wouldn't want it to be like back home.

Mu sentiments exactly :thumbsup:

Perhaps he moved to Bradford or Leeds....no need for air cons there either.

Watch it mate - that's my other home apart from Isaan - slap bang in between Bradford and Leeds. Now that was much more of a culture shock than moving from Pattaya to Bangkok, moving to Pudsey after a thirty year career in the City of London!

We share some common ground then, I,m from Sheffield ( nar den dee ), Korat is my home.

I get a shock everytime I go back to the UK, so I avoid it as much as I can.

Mu sentiments exactly :thumbsup:

Amen to that, I am pretty sure I am here for good.

well I guess it really depends on what exactly you are after but moving from Frantic pattaya to hectic BKK just doesn't make sense, now if you had said moving to Rayong or Chanthaburi then I may have understood your reasoning, I notice you have mentioned the things you want to get away from but what is it you are leaving behind that you want ????

Good question.

Right now in Pattaya? Well to be honest nothing, as i mentioned before I don't go to the beach so other than that there isn't anything here that you cant get in bkk and OK girlie's are more expensive as is the over cost of living there but im fine with that, I have already found a bigger studio than what i am currently living in here and its 2500B a month cheaper and right next to a bts station.

I guess the main reason is, and pople seem to miss this is that I am looking for and wanting the big city life style, the hustle, bustle, the sky scrapers and everything else that comes with it.

However and this is important, Pattaya is and always will be, 15 million times better than living in the UK although I haven't been there i would say living in burriram is a billion times better than the uk, I am not hating Pattaya its just not giving me what i want at the moment I am in no way knocking the place!!

However and this is important, Pattaya is and always will be, 15 million times better than living in the UK although I haven't been there i would say living in burriram is a billion times better than the uk, I am not hating Pattaya its just not giving me what i want at the moment I am in no way knocking the place!!

Living in Buriram is indeed a billion times better than living in the UK.

It is also nice to have an excursion to Pattaya when you want to enjoy...... the seaside and smell of ozone, decent shopping malls, the cinema, Falang food supplies and fresh bread, And err, girls from Buriram :whistling:

if it works for you...great mate. I just couldn't wait 2 weeks to download the latest episode of Dexter on an aircard :o

I do like the fact the the closest Starbucks is 30 mins. away...that's better than me by 20 minutes...as the farther away the better :lol:

I should mention we have no TV either...by choice....the peace and quiet is astounding....the stars are bright in the sky too.

As for downloading stuff...yes that is a problem, but i get around it by sending a 1 terrabyte EHD to a friend that loads it all on for me over a week and sends it back to me.....all for EMS @ 47 baht......so ways around everything if you are creative enough.

I've been on the Dark Side (East Pattaya) for a couple of years now and I like it here. Before I spent 6 months each at Soi LK Metro and Third road. Talk about noise and traffic :)

The shopping is getting better on the Dark Side now, there are two new Tops opening, one on Soi Khao Ta Lo and one on Soi Khao Noi. The copy Villa has expanded and I can be on Walking Street in 15 minutes if I hit the lights right :)

To each his own I guess, but the only legitimate downside I can see to BKK over Pattaya is the poor air quality in Bangkok. Most of the other arguments I've heard on this thread are simply not true or don't apply.

> You don't need to worry about the traffic in Bangkok as you have the BTS, the MRT, the new airport link, (mostly)honest motorcycle taxi drivers, METERED cabs and virtually no sawng taeows (baht busses). Sell your car and save the money.

> There are far many more interesting places and neighborhoods in the capital to explore not to mention many more and better restaurants of all kinds and places of entertainment (except perhaps for go go’s but if you're into that sort of thing you know where to find them here too).

> The average Thai citizen of Bangkok is far better educated than in Pattaya. There is more respect shown toward foreigners and less violent crime perpetrated against them. Service of all kinds is generally better in Bangkok.

> The beaches in the immediate Pattaya area have been for years, are now and probably will remain for quite some time filthy and not fit to swim in.

> Bangkok is a vibrant international city whose expat population mostly works here and is happy to be here whereas Pattaya's expats are predominantly retired, bored and constantly complaining about something or another. Yeah, I know that's a sweeping generalization but if you read this forum much you know it's true.

> If you truly no longer like Pattaya and want to come to Bangkok, I suggest you avoid moving to lower Sukhumvit as you will encounter many of the same things you don't like about Pattaya there. You can live in another cheaper and more peaceful part of the city and still have what Sukhumvit has to offer a short commute away if you so want it.

> And after awhile if you find that you still prefer Pattaya and want to return, there's nothing stopping you from going back.

Whatever you decide I hope you find what you're looking for and wish you the best of luck.

As someone who has

just returned to live in Pattaya after two years in Bangkok, I will just comment on one point for now.

To each his own I guess, but the only legitimate downside I can see to BKK over Pattaya is the poor air quality in Bangkok. Most of the other arguments I've heard on this thread are simply not true or don't apply.

> You don't need to worry about the traffic in Bangkok as you have the BTS, the MRT, the new airport link, (mostly)honest motorcycle taxi drivers, METERED cabs and virtually no sawng taeows (baht busses). Sell your car and save the money.

> There are far many more interesting places and neighborhoods in the capital to explore not to mention many more and better restaurants of all kinds and places of entertainment (except perhaps for go go's but if you're into that sort of thing you know where to find them here too).

> The average Thai citizen of Bangkok is far better educated than in Pattaya. There is more respect shown toward foreigners and less violent crime perpetrated against them. Service of all kinds is generally better in Bangkok.

> The beaches in the immediate Pattaya area have been for years, are now and probably will remain for quite some time filthy and not fit to swim in.

> Bangkok is a vibrant international city whose expat population mostly works here and is happy to be here whereas Pattaya's expats are predominantly retired, bored and constantly complaining about something or another. Yeah, I know that's a sweeping generalization but if you read this forum much you know it's true.

I suggest you avoid moving to lower Sukhumvit as you will encounter many of the same things you don't like about Pattaya there. You can live in another cheaper and more peaceful part of the city and still have what Sukhumvit has to offer a short commute away if you so want it.

> And after awhile if you find that you still prefer Pattaya and want to return, there's nothing stopping you from going back.

Whatever you decide I hope you find what you're looking for and wish you the best of luck.

I found the BTS to be unpleasant unless you like being stuffed like sardines in a 3 car train that should be six cars long. And you will be bombarded with ads while inside. Just not pleasant.

The MRT is still better in some respects but where on earth does it go of any interest?

And there are places of interest that you will need to suffer through the traffic to get to. Bangkok really needs at least three more BRT or MRT lines.

However the one thing I do miss is the river boats.

Edited by BugJackBaron

took me 3 hours to go 2 miles in BKK lat week, 40 minutes at one set of red lights, fumes were terrible, just move over to darkside then you got plenty of space and patters down the road. i live near the 36 road, on that for a mile then 7 motorway then into patters12-15 max then use the sat nav for back street routes. feel less traffic here than samui and i lived there for 9 years . think your right you will miss it in a week.

Why not try Hua Hin mate a great place and no Russians, you will hate Bkk Sukhumvit is an open sewer.

This guy makes sense, i used to love BKK but its now sterile predictable once you dig a little deeper and too stuck up these days, plus its very expensive and imho many expats here seem to think theyre great, the average retiree in Patts is far better to speak to then the average Bangkokian expat and not as full of shy7... i was in Pattaya for a few months earlier this year by default, due to the red shirt violence and not wanting to bring a baby to BKK and whilst Patts is not the best place to live imho, its better there then BKK for us whiteskins.

Im off to the UK for a year tomorrow which im not really looking forward to (weather/police state/ council tax etc..) im going by choice not necessity and for a bit of sanity/reality, if i return i'll give Hua Hin a go and if that doesnt work then Thailands clearly not for me, maybe youve reached that point?

Edited by Englander

took me 3 hours to go 2 miles in BKK lat week, 40 minutes at one set of red lights, fumes were terrible, just move over to darkside then you got plenty of space and patters down the road. i live near the 36 road, on that for a mile then 7 motorway then into patters12-15 max then use the sat nav for back street routes. feel less traffic here than samui and i lived there for 9 years . think your right you will miss it in a week.

IMHO, BKK is livable only if you are within walking distance of the BTS. Otherwise, the traffic is too bad. When we lived there, we avoided taxis like the plague. Just took too long to get anywhere. But this really limits your exploration of the city... :(

I know where your coming from mate, i work between Rayong and Bangkok, so decided to rent halfway in Pattaya, on Thepprasit road which is away from Pattaya beach and not directly on Jomtien. I've been here for altogether about 6 months and have to admit that i did love the party atmosphere in Pattaya at first arriving as a fresh blooded single man. Now i rarely go out in Pattaya because i am sick of the amount of tourists, sick of the traffic sick of being pestered by touts and tinkers trying to sell useless crap to me on the street. Even more so after being ripped off in so many bars around my area my bitterness is increasing by the day.

Pattaya IS a holiday hotspot, and it's only going to get more and more busy - it's not a kept secret any more.

I too never wear flip-flops, or generally loaf about the beach etc which i suppose if its relaxation you want then yeah Pattaya you can't beat, i prefer wearing the suits, the designer clothes, mixing with the people here... i agree that Bangkok is the place to go for the city life, as i sit right now in my office block on Ratchada, i only wish i had been based here and not had to go to Rayong. The BTS and the MRT are FINE for getting about BKK by the way, far easier than sitting in a baht bus at traffic lights on Pattaya Tai.

Edited by therealmrbrightside