Samui Tourism

crusty

As we are all mostly dependent on tourism here for a living, it is only fair that the industry is prepared for the fallout from a Chiang Mai revered monk's prediction that Samui will experience a disaster in December. Nearly every Thai has heard and is discussing this scenario, but I doubt many farangs have, so many hotels may be surprised when the island's hotel staff pack up and go home that month. As if we don't have enough to worry about :( ?

my same staff who were kind enough to provide me with a list of telephone numbers that i should not answer (last years mass hysteria), have requested time off prior to the 30th to return to the mainland. i wasn't inclined to oblige. i did however let them spend ten minutes going over an escape plan which included having them conspire to have office vehicles parked in a certain direction (headed towards the nearest mountain, to avoid having to turn the trucks) along with the presence of life jackets in the office which will be worn on the 30th.

Things like this remind me i live in a third world country, and not to take a blind bit of notice.

About four years ago a monk predicted Samui would end up under water and loads of locals left to spend a few days on the mainland. Astonishingly nothing ever materialised.:o

I am happy to be a farang - I never heard of this "prediction"...!

Besides, anyone noticed that article in The Nation about Samui Hotel Association's statement that "the flooding didn't had ANY impact on Samui tourism" this time of the year... they left in droves!

Which sane person would make a statement like this? Ah well... yes 3. world country... by far and wide!

Besides I think we are looking forward to a busy peak season, booked out and still requests coming in!

Edited by Samuian

I am happy to be a farang - I never heard of this "prediction"...!

Besides, anyone noticed that article in The Nation about Samui Hotel Association's statement that "the flooding didn't had ANY impact on Samui tourism" this time of the year... they left in droves!

Which sane person would make a statement like this? Ah well... yes 3. world country... by far and wide!

Besides I think we are looking forward to a busy peak season, booked out and still requests coming in!

Yes things are looking good for christmas and new year. This year started off well and only capsized due to the red shirts behaviour in April/May. Lets just hope they don't throw the toys out of the pram again.

This was a farang that told me this, carmine. Some Western guy absolutely convinced it had been predicted to the day.

i was referring to the OP's post re the revered Chiang mai monk.

:huh: There it is again, this time from the Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti on Wednesday's news "Extreme violent storm will devastate Thailand's South in December" Perhaps he got that from a temple in Chiang Mai ?

This was a farang that told me this, carmine. Some Western guy absolutely convinced it had been predicted to the day.

:huh: There it is again, this time from the Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti on Wednesday's news "Extreme violent storm will devastate Thailand's South in December" Perhaps he got that from a temple in Chiang Mai ?

Edited by carmine

I had someone try to convince me they had heard the USGS warned of an earthquake striking on a specific day in December.

Um, no, I don't think so.

I remember hearing same predictions last June, and of course I just laughed it off .

It was quite surprising because they nailed the prediction of the June 2010 Indian ocean earthquake to the day. kinda strange

i listen to scientist and metirologists and gynocologysts for my informtation.

there have been about 3 tsunamis predicted in phuket and none of them have come. there will be another tsunami in phuket 1 day. the samui cannot have tsunami unless of some really strange un natural disaster.

infact i had a monk give me the lottery number every week and u know how many times i have won ? 0

so good luck and all that but i will get my information about desasters from scientist who are not always right either.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this the same monk who was selling amulets to protect you against HIV????????

:blink: And the Thais are sooooo switched on, they have now narrowed it down to the day, 30th December. Wow, move over Burma. Well I for one plan to sit on the beach practicing for New Year with a jug of screwdrivers ! C'mon and join us SE.

my thai staff are still concerned about this. i asked one of them to try and get me the number of the "monk" as i'd like to arrange to have him called from one of the numbers included in last years "do not answer calls from these numbers as you will die" hoax.

Is this the same monk who was selling amulets to protect you against HIV????????

:blink: And the Thais are sooooo switched on, they have now narrowed it down to the day, 30th December. Wow, move over Burma. Well I for one plan to sit on the beach practicing for New Year with a jug of screwdrivers ! C'mon and join us SE.

Sounds like a grand idea!!!!!!!

B) Just to make sure I think we'll wear lifejackets while drinking our jugs on the beach. Last night on Thai Channel 3 the head of the Met. Dept. Smith Thammarote confirmed a huge disaster will hit Koh Samui between Dec. 26 and Dec. 30. Now I've got gaggle of panicking superstitious staff Aaaaggghhhh !

B) Just to make sure I think we'll wear lifejackets while drinking our jugs on the beach. Last night on Thai Channel 3 the head of the Met. Dept. Smith Thammarote confirmed a huge disaster will hit Koh Samui between Dec. 26 and Dec. 30. Now I've got gaggle of panicking superstitious staff Aaaaggghhhh !

Blimey! This is getting serious... Think I'll get a couple of my bar staff to give me a "massage" so when the disaster strikes,.

Edited by Rooo
Post edited for general viewing.