Buying A Good Oven

JimShortz

I have a 3 ring Sanyo oven/cooker, but would really like to buy something better. Where should I look? Does anyone have any particular ovens/cookers that they could recommend?

I don't really want to spend more then 20,000 Baht if possible, but I do want a good quality oven with proper temperature control. My wife has been learning to bake, but it's tough with a poor quality oven and I really think all baking efforts should be fully supported! mmm...

Is there anywhere that sells second-hand commercial stuff? I really don't care whether I buy new or second-hand; I just want a decent oven! :thumbsup:

I also bought my oven at Global House mainly because I had seen similar ovens around town at Siam TV and Home Pro but only Global House had them in stock and I didn't want to wait. I don't think they have free standing ovens for under 30,000 at Global and I know they don't have second hand items but if my memory serves me Siam TV had less expensive models but that was before they moved and they seem to have gone more upscale in the new store.

Works for me. 8000 baht.:D Turkey as in Thanksgiving.

post-91169-0-61253800-1289526685_thumb.jpost-91169-0-62427600-1289526702_thumb.j

Those elcheapo local made Sanyos and whirlpools do work....but insulation is bad and no thermostat......not to mention that they rust out sooo fast that I'm on my 2nd one after 8 yrs.

What I would like to get is an old fashioned 'made in USA' model with cast iron burners and good enamel that last forever and are well insulated.

for now I use my Sanyo for large projects that are not that temp critical and use a Severan electric toaster that has a thermostat and is quite accurate for breade etc.....

Another option (we rent) is a 3000 baht convection oven bought at Makro. Takes up plenty of counter space, has good temperature control and even fits a small turkey. Only downside is a timer that only goes for 15 mins, requiring resetting when cooking a bird or casserole.

At work and I don't remember the brand name.

Those elcheapo local made Sanyos and whirlpools do work....but insulation is bad and no thermostat....

That's exactly the problem. I want an oven where I can slect a temperature and that is the temperature it will be (thermostatically controlled)! Not too much to ask really...

My oven is so badly insulated that if you pull out the bottom tray you can see the floor... The net effect of the terrible insulation is that it seems to overcook the base of cakes before the top has browned. My mother, who is a very experienced home and commercial baker, has used lots of different ovens in her time but reckons mine is the winner in terms of being the worst oven she has ever used...

If it's going to be 30,000 for a new oven I might have to try and pick-up a good second-hand one... :annoyed:

Those elcheapo local made Sanyos and whirlpools do work....but insulation is bad and no thermostat....

That's exactly the problem. I want an oven where I can slect a temperature and that is the temperature it will be (thermostatically controlled)! Not too much to ask really...

My oven is so badly insulated that if you pull out the bottom tray you can see the floor... The net effect of the terrible insulation is that it seems to overcook the base of cakes before the top has browned. My mother, who is a very experienced home and commercial baker, has used lots of different ovens in her time but reckons mine is the winner in terms of being the worst oven she has ever used...

If it's going to be 30,000 for a new oven I might have to try and pick-up a good second-hand one... :annoyed:

I must have the same oven as you i think as mine does that also i bought like 4 years ago and i can never get it right seems to burn the bottoms of everything while the middle is still cold.

I went today to Home Pro and Global House today. Home Pro seemed to have the better selection in the lower price range, with the cheapest starting at 14,000, and then quite a few to choose from for a few thousand more. I looked at various Teka, Tecno and Smeg brand ovens before choosing an Electrolux model for 17,000. It just seemed better built than the other offerings, better controls, much tighter coiled grill (more even grilling I hope) better fitting and better quality shelf and tray with rack. I get it delivered tomorrow for free; not too bad a deal I think.

Am I imagining it, or have ovens come down a lot in price. I thought that previously you needed to spend more like 25,000 to get something worth buying? :o

I went today to Home Pro and Global House today. Home Pro seemed to have the better selection in the lower price range, with the cheapest starting at 14,000, and then quite a few to choose from for a few thousand more. I looked at various Teka, Tecno and Smeg brand ovens before choosing an Electrolux model for 17,000. It just seemed better built than the other offerings, better controls, much tighter coiled grill (more even grilling I hope) better fitting and better quality shelf and tray with rack. I get it delivered tomorrow for free; not too bad a deal I think.

Am I imagining it, or have ovens come down a lot in price. I thought that previously you needed to spend more like 25,000 to get something worth buying? :o

Good deal ! And I'll bet for that price it even included a bottom so you can't see the floor when you pull out the tray.:rolleyes: