Changing The Name On A Thai Passport?

How do we change the name on a Thai passport? Is it just a matter of going down to the passport office at Central Bang Na and going through the possess again? Or is there an easier way? We went to Bang Na to get the passport last year but it took most of the day and I would like to cut down the time and expense to change the name if I can.

Thanks

If it is due to a marriage, just make sure you have all the documents (marriage cert., etc.) There is a paper they give you that explains the name change. If I am not mistaken, you may need to change the ID card first.

We changed my wife's earlier this year.

You must change her ID card 1st at her local Amphur office.

Then as devildog says take all associated documents.

It was a 20 minute wait and then return 48 hours later to collect the new passport.

We went through this process in May this year.

When we registered the marriage at the local amphur they actually made her get the new ID card when we were there. Then when we went to the office to change the passport we showed them the marriage certificate and as they had all the info on the new id (must be computer linked) it was a very quick walk around the various parts of the passport office.

We were in and out in 15 mins and the new passport was delivered by mail about 3 days later.

Not sure if the same thing would happen now with the issuing of the new passports.

How do we change the name on a Thai passport?  Is it just a matter of going down to the passport office at Central Bang Na and going through the possess again?  Or is there an easier way?  We went to Bang Na to get the passport last year but it took most of the day and I would like to cut down the time and expense to change the name if I can.

Thanks

If you're going to get a visa for elsewhere in the world, just make sure you have all the name change documents with you/your wife when making the application and doing the interview. A lot of Thai's change their name but don't have the original documents which is a real wall when going for the visa. :o

When we registered the marriage at the local amphur they actually made her get the new ID card when we were there.  Then when we went to the office to change the passport we showed them the marriage certificate and as they had all the info on the new id (must be computer linked) it was a very quick walk around the various parts of the passport office.

We were in and out in 15 mins and the new passport was delivered by mail about 3 days later.

Not sure if the same thing would happen now with the issuing of the new passports.

Same happened for us sezzo, except they shouldn't have made you change her ID card as it is optional as to wether she wants to change her surname to yours, isn't it?

MRBoJ

When we registered the marriage at the local amphur they actually made her get the new ID card when we were there.  Then when we went to the office to change the passport we showed them the marriage certificate and as they had all the info on the new id (must be computer linked) it was a very quick walk around the various parts of the passport office.

Same happened for us sezzo, except they shouldn't have made you change her ID card as it is optional as to wether she wants to change her surname to yours, isn't it?

MRBoJ

Didnt realise that u had a choice. But hopefully it will work in our favour as we are applying for a tourist visa and my thinking is that it would add weight to our favour if it is in her married name.

Got the fingers crossed :o

MRBoJ

Didnt realise that u had a choice. But hopefully it will work in our favour as we are applying for a tourist visa and my thinking is that it would add weight to our favour if it is in her married name.

Got the fingers crossed :D

My Mrs changed her surname to mine also, but in the past (someone feel free to correct me if wrong) it was better to leave the Mrs with a Thai surname so that she could buy property and land etc. Because they would class her as a Farang and not a Thai. However, they've changed that now and still class her as a Thai but with a Farang name. Only in LOS eh :o

The name change in optional but the ID card must be updated to show she is married in any case.