Which Airlines To Johannesburg?

TLT

Check out Thai airways. When I flew to JHB in Aug 2010, TA was the cheapest option available at that time and had a direct flight 3 times a week but it depends on your travel dates and stay duration. The in-flight entertainment and service was good and the return date could be changed free of charge valid for 3 months. I was also looking at Emirates/Qatar who are usually another cost effective and good alternative for that route. My booking was made by going into a travel agent in Silom and it was cheaper than booking on-line.

I have flown a few times on business with Ethiopian and I loathe flying with them for several reasons experienced:

• Getting stuck once in Addis for 12 hours due to flight delays aircraft problem and poor information and treatment from EA ground staff.
  • For the congested check-ins at Bangkok.
  • In my opinion - dirty smelly aircraft and poor toilet facilities on board.

Never flown with Jet airways but I have read some good reports about them. Also check if you need a transit visa for the stopover in India.

Good luck with your choice and be careful down there.

I do this trip 4 - 6 times a year & here are my feelings, based on experience.

Never consider Kenyan Airways, they are a bad operator and left thousands stranded in Nairobi last year. Not worth having bad food, no service, dirty toilets & a 40 hour journey to save a few hundred baht.

Emirates, Qatar & Etihad are all good airlines with modern equipment, good food & excellent crews. Check the layovers though. I will not waste 12 hours in an airport in the middle of the trip.

SQ is and excellent airline but the layover in Changi is a bore, as the flight leaves after 1 am & most facilities in the airport are closed.

TG is a good airline but not as good as SQ, and arrives in JNB & BKK at a reasonable time in the early morning. But Suvarnabhumi at midnight is a bit deadly as there are no places to relax. I suppose wandering the interminable King Power shops is good for preventing DVT!! The good thing is the early morning transfer in BKK from TG international to TG domestic is much better than if you fly any other airline.

The cheaper deals all come with a time disadvantage over TG. If you are willing to spend an uncomfortable half day in a UAE airport then fine, go ahead. If like me you are heartily sick of flying then the shortest time spent on the journey is the big issue. And TG is my best price/service/convenience option by far.

'' But Suvarnabhumi at midnight is a bit deadly as there are no places to relax. I suppose wandering the interminable King Power shops is good for preventing DVT!! ''

if you use suvarnabhumi regularly there are options for relaxing on departures after midnight, with the Airport Lounges open 24 hurs, another option if you don't have the airmiles and your flying on economy and cant get into these airport lounges without paying a small fortune is the King Power Lounge at Suvarnabhumi,, If you can show them any ID showing address in thailand your in ( I used my thai driving License), only 500 baht for entry giving 1 years access, grant it the facilities on offer are not as good as some of the other lounges, but free snacks, tea and coffee, internet and Sattelite telly, magazines and soft chairs for relaxing.

I am new user in this forum but this topic is related me so I am checking out flights from BKK to JohannesburgI preferred some website which is given below :

http://www.southafrica.to/transport/Airlines/cheap-flights-from-South-Africa/cheap-flights-from-Johannesburg/flight-reservations-Johannesburg-Bangkok.php5

I hope this website is helpful for you.

David

• 1 month later...

I have never heard of "King Power Lounge" - will certainly try that one out! Where is it located? Thanks.

Hi TLT, sorry for the late response, if you pass through the immigration and baggage check, on entering the main departure hallway turn left, go nearly all the way to the end, you will see a branch off to the left close to the end of the main hallway/walkway and you should see the King Power Lounge there (trying to think now I cannot remember if it is 1 level down when you get to the end of the main hallway or if it is on the same level) but easy to find once you are close to the end of the big hallway as the steps to take you down to the next level are there too. As I said nothing special but good for relaxing for an hour or so, only downside is that it is at the opposite end of the terminal from many of the International departures, but just a 10+ minute or so walk to get there.

I have a travel agency in South Africa. So, herewith my thoughts..

Cheapest at the moment - Jet Airways via Mumbai - midnight connection, but not long stopover...

Malaysian Airlines via KL.. very good connection in KL.

Qatar and Etihad Airlines - also cheap, but horrible 12 hour stopover through the night in either Doha or Abu Dhabi... depends on your passport, but a lot of nationalities will need a visa to stay in a hotel , so a stopover is difficult, and just push the price up as you have to pay for a hotel to sleep in now...!

Thai .. sometimes cheap - they have a special running until 31st March for dirt cheap, but other times quite a bit more than the other airlines.

Emirates and Singapore - excellent connections but usually quite a bit more than the other airlines.

Ethiopian and Kenyan-- forget about it...