Karon Roadblock Today

madmitch

I was waiting for the 'rose tinted glasses' comment. It's in the top 10 list, of words and phrases, used by TV members, who can't manage to live in Phuket on a day to day basis, without having issues. I think it's up to 7th now, the word Mafia, has obviously been number one for several years.

KarenBravo, you are a joke. You ride a bike, which is totaly, 100% illegal, and then you moan and winge when you get tapped up for a bribe. People like you and others on this thread, say you want the law to be inforced more like it would be in the West. You wouldn't ride an illegal bike in the West, so why be so arrogant to do it here. Don't you think we all could get our hands on some nice bikes (not poncie, girlie little mopeds) if we were prepared to ride illegal ones, but we don't.

You want the law to be more like the West, but what do you think would happen if you got caught on an illegal bike in Europe. You wouldn't be lucky enough, to be offered the chance to ride away with it, just by paying a measly little fine. The bike would be gone, and so probably would your license.

People like you want all the laid back, care free, do what you want aspects of Phuket, until it doesn't suit you, because it's costing a couple of quid. You can't have it both ways.

Seems like you like to make things up. Please show me where in any post of mine:-

Where I say I "want the law to be enforced more like it would be in the West".

What I want is the law to be applied, or, not applied equally to Thais and foreigners.

Why all the personal insults when someone doesn't agree with you? Obviously you weren't brought up right.

Also, anyone older than 12 years old that still uses LOL in their posts is not to be taken seriously.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are dumb enough to leave your passport with a motorbike rental shop you deserve to be stopped.

Oh really? And what do you propose that the rental shop will accept in leu of a passport? Your licence? I tried that (so as to keep my coveted passport in my own possesion at all times); BAD IDEA. Coz then the BIB will nab you for no licence (and yes, you MUST be carrying your home country's licence and the INTERNATIONAL license that it's based on, together.) Anything other than that, and they can summons you.

So, what collateral would you leave with the rental shop? Cash? Jewels? Maybe ATM cards with the pin written on them??

Gone, gone, and definitely GONE!

Get real, man. :-)

The dark clouds are apparently hanging low in Bang Tao - cheer up buddy - sunshine will come your way some day.

I'm not complaining about how things are run here,(actually quite happy still after 15 years) just trying to share some information's with other interested.

You don't see it that way - it's hard when all these crazy farangs and morons are all over the place and don't know how to behave – right

Look, I'm no angel, I take advantage of the slack laws here as much as anyone. I just don't cry about it if I get caught.

This was a thread about the police being corrupt, and the behaviour of the Farang getting tickets. You thought it was a good idea to come on here and boast about drink driving. Not particularly smart, although don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did. It helps me prove my point no end.

Bangtao Boy: So are you saying, you were wearing a helmet, had a valid license that allows you to ride bikes in Thailand, but were still fined? If so can you please tell us how many times, what you paid, and what the ticket was for.

You seem to have trouble understanding plain English, so please re-read what I wrote. I did not say I was fined. I said I was stopped. That is an 'interaction' with police. You claim you had only one 'interaction' with police during a decade of driving. I had many interactions during a short period. Your perception is different to mine. But please don't run off and say that your perception is the only valid one, being 'based on the 'truth'' etc.

You know what this thread is about don't you??

You posted that you get stopped every day by the police in a thread about police corruption. Yet when it comes down to it, and someone pushes you for answers, it turns out, in all those times you got stopped, you didn't pay any fines. The exact miss information that some posters are trying to highlight.

Please explain, how being stopped by the police, and then when being found to be legal, allowed to proceed un-fined, is corruption?? That is the immpression you and others are trying to give.

So you base your judgements on experiences of people you know. Yet you deride people who post here about people they know! Only first-hand experiences allowed! Make up your mind!

Another example of a distinct set of double-standards!

Show me one post where I talk about my friends, and what happened to someone I know. Good luck because they don't exist.

I am happy to for everyone who posts on here, to have their say, that's the whole point of the forum. I'm just trying to weed all the hear say from the facts that actually happened to the people posting. It's a pretty easy task, when asked if it happened to them, it goes very quiet all of a sudden!

The rest comes from all the stories on here, which 9 times out of 10 will start with 'This bloke I know' and 'My mate Dave knew this bloke' etc etc.

(See what I mean!)

Mmmm! Fairly sure that was the point I was making about people telling about facts that happen all the time, but just for some strange reason hasn't happened to them yet! Thanks for repeating it for me though.

What ticket? When cops take a bribe they don't give out receipts! What planet do you live on?

That's just it. You've just admitted you were never bribed. You got pulled over and didn't pay a fine!! So like I said, people telling other people about things that happen every day, then when the truth comes out, it's never happened to that person at all! Not a great argument is it.

Anyway, as many people have said, the only time they have handed over money, they had done something wrong, and WENT TO THE POLICE OFFICE to pay the fine and get a RECIEPT.

That's what planet I'm on mate, the same as all those other people.

P.S Glad to see this thread is jogging along without anybody being so childish and bitchy that it is in danger of being closed. Which is great for me, cos I'll argue my point till the cows come home. :)

Yellow plates with black letters. The same goes for all tour companies BTW, white plates with blue letters are meant for staff transportation and not allowed to transfer tourists, white plates with black letters are personal vehicles, not allowed to transfer tourists in, white plates with green letters are company vehicles, not allowed to transfer tourists in.

The distinction between white plates with black and blue letters, as mentioned above, is the official one. It seems that, at least on Phuket, all 4 door cars are issued white/black, all 2 door cars white/green.

That might be why I have been in "taxis" in the past and they have been pulled over for no apparent reason, or so I thought, and had to pay money. It must have been because their vehicle was not plated to take farang tourist. Interesting.

A taxi has white numbers on green plate. If you pay someone else to drive you, you are supporting black taxis. Black as in no taxes, black as in non approved vehicle safety, black as in non approved driver, black as in mafia

a commercial minivan is lisenced to drive paying passengers, black numbers on yellow plates

a minivan can be privately owned/used for non paying passengers, white plate with blue numbers

Thanks for the info. I normally just get the taxi from my hotel/guest house/bungalows etc. I will pay attention to this next time.

But were Thai's give the same ticket, for the same offence, at the same roadblock, at the same time. I have posted an example where I definately know one Thai girl was not fined after she simply told the police she had no money.

That day yes, 100%. They walked around the entire circumference of Central and chained every bike and car parked illegaly. Nearly all of them belonged to Thais.

Parking tickets don't count because you are actually given a ticket. That means, the money (fine) has to be accounted for and balanced up against the number of tickets. We are talking about being pulled over, not receiving a ticket, or receipt for payment and the 200 baht, or more, going straight into the pocket of the police and you are allowed to continue on your journey.

So you don't accept that Farang drivers are often (or usually) assumed to be guilty in traffic accidents in Thailand, even when they are not at fault?

Here are a few other opinions:

Whos opinion should I trust: the opinion of anonymous poster on Thaivisa who has by his own admission not had an accident in ten years of driving in Phuket, or the opinion of Thais, including a lawyer, who presumably knows at least a little about the subject?

I think I will take the latter. Others can form whatever judgement they like.

I'm not asking you to trust me, I'm asking you to trust YOURSELF.

Like I've said numerous times before, I'm going by my own experiences, that's all I need to do, to make judgements on my life, and what I need to do to make me and my family happy. I will then happily share those experiences on here (truthfully) to help balance out the amount of stuff that is spouted with no real life, real time, experience backing it up.

You should hook up with another of TV's infamous members, he lives his life through other peoples stories and stuff he reads elsewhere.

You have read a couple of articles, yet by your own admission haven't been fined. You'd rather believe the hype written instead of the facts you have seen with your own eyes. Very strange.

Really? One 'interaction' with police in a decade of driving.

During my last visit to Phuket, I was stopped by police almost every single day while riding from Karon to Patong on a motorbike.

You see: straight away our perceptions are different. Does that make me wrong? I don't think so. So please don't make a giant leap (like you do below) and assume that only your opinions are 'based on truth'.

So are you saying, you were wearing a helmet, had a valid license that allows you to ride bikes in Thailand, but were still fined? If so can you please tell us how many times, what you paid, and what the ticket was for.

But how do you know all this? From where do you get your extra-sensory perception that enables you to know what has happened to other people, and allows you to so readily dismiss their stories?

I don't have ESP. I can only go by what I know to be true in my own life, and those of the people I know. The rest comes from all the stories on here, which 9 times out of 10 will start with 'This bloke I know' and 'My mate Dave knew this bloke' etc etc.

If you scan through this forum, as I have done for 4/5 years you will find very little in the way of facts, being told by the person it happened to, and who has proof of what he is saying is true.

Until you show me this source of superior knowledge and intellect, I'm inclined to believe the weight of evidence which is decidedly not in your favour.

What evidence in this thread is in your favour exactly? You didn't exactly give us anything concrete to go on did you. Another poster said he got stopped once but was let off because he was above board. That's just it, there never is any evidence.

If it happens so much, why can't someone post a photo of a ticket on this forum, one that was given out to somebody who had done nothing wrong. It happens so much someone should be able to do it within the next few weeks right? Well it's been nearly 5 years and I haven't seen one yet, so I won't hold my breath.

It doesn't happen much - THAT'S THE POINT. You are not issued a ticket. Money is demanded from you and you pay. It goes straight into the pocket and you drive/ride away. Except, if you are Thai and can not pay because you have no money - they are allowed to ride on without paying.

The problem esculates for farang when that same 14 year old Thai kid, on the same defective bike, crashes into you and because, "if farang not in Thailand accident not happen" you have to pay - that really pisses me off.

Incidently, has that actually happened to you personally? To me that is one of those classic quotes, about something that has probably happened to 3 people in the last 3 years, yet it just rolls of everybodies tongue, like they were talking about a daily occurance.

So you don't accept that Farang drivers are often (or usually) assumed to be guilty in traffic accidents in Thailand, even when they are not at fault?

- from The Tourism Authority of Thailand official website:

"If you have (the) misfortune to get into an accident, it's likely to be judged as your fault (even if it wasn't) and you will be expected to pay (on the spot) for any damage caused (to vehicles and people)."

- from "Thai Law for Foreigners" by writer Benjawan Poomsan Becker and Thai lawyer Roengsak Thongkaew

" ... In most cases, no matter who caused the accident, you will be blamed because you are a foreigner"

"... whether or not it's fair to you, when you (a foreigner) drive and are involved in an accident, it is usually considered your fault for not knowing how to drive the Thai way"

Whose opinion should I trust: the opinion of anonymous poster on Thaivisa who has by his own admission not had an accident in ten years of driving in Phuket, or the opinion of Thais, including a lawyer, who presumably knows at least a little about the subject?

I will take a risk here and post 2 links to stories from foreigners with interesting stories on this subject. (I know how much you dislike hearing non-first-hand reports, so skip if it irks you too much to hear evidence that doesn't fit your own perceptions.)

Story1

Story2

It's laughable that it's on their website. Good post mate. Pretty much settles it.

The problem esculates for farang when that same 14 year old Thai kid, on the same defective bike, crashes into you and because, "if farang not in Thailand accident not happen" you have to pay - that really pisses me off.

Incidently, has that actually happened to you personally? To me that is one of those classic quotes, about something that has probably happened to 3 people in the last 3 years, yet it just rolls of everybodies tongue, like they were talking about a daily occurance.

"If you have (the) misfortune to get into an accident, it's likely to be judged as your fault (even if it wasn't) and you will be expected to pay (on the spot) for any damage caused (to vehicles and people)."

- from "Thai Law for Foreigners" by writer Benjawan Poomsan Becker and Thai lawyer Roengsak Thongkaew

" ... In most cases, no matter who caused the accident, you will be blamed because you are a foreigner"

"... whether or not it's fair to you, when you (a foreigner) drive and are involved in an accident, it is usually considered your fault for not knowing how to drive the Thai way"

Whose opinion should I trust: the opinion of anonymous poster on Thaivisa who has by his own admission not had an accident in ten years of driving in Phuket, or the opinion of Thais, including a lawyer, who presumably knows at least a little about the subject?

I will take a risk here and post 2 links to stories from foreigners with interesting stories on this subject. (I know how much you dislike hearing non-first-hand reports, so skip if it irks you too much to hear evidence that doesn't fit your own perceptions.)

Story1

Story2

It's laughable that it's on their website. Good post mate. Pretty much settles it.

handling accident as described by TAT usd to be common one-two decades ago. The eight years I have lived here permanently I have driven +400k km. Most accidents are handled fairly by police and Insurance companies. For everyone motoring, it is imprtant to have a good 3rd party Insurance and bailbond insurance, and expect others to have no insurance at all. Then there will never be any demand of paying anything on the spot, and insurance will cover all 3rd party claims within insurance limits, usually 10mill baht.

Covering 50-70k km a year, I have been involved in several minor accidents/scratches, and except for one incident with patong mafia, its always been fair. Even though a kid on Fino was at fault once hitting my car, police and I recommended him to leave as he was unable to pay for the damages. The Thai way :)

Traffic offences are in LOS frequently asked to be payed in cash on spot without issuing fines. But in Phuket this has not happend to me ONCE. Stopped by police and done something wrong I have ALWAYS been issued a fine 2-400 baht.

Stoping farang on bike. Sure, everyone know they are targets since very few of them have a valid driverslisence for bike. and most of them are dangerous on bikes

Edited by katabeachbum

sorry dude, all the rental shops I know, and I know many.... never require to keep your passport, just a copy, and the address where you are staying. So please continue being a dope.

Ok, you know what? ENOUGH with the immature "dumb" and "dope" namecalling. What are you? 12?? :yellowcard:

You are FLAT OUT WRONG, because MOST shops DO require renters to leave (at least) SOMETHING of value (usually an original passport), before they will just give them their property to use. (And hello, that's not only the norm in Thailand, but virtually ANYWHERE in the world where shops rent expensive equipment to transient vacationing customers.)

You're calling people "DUMB", but you may be overlooking the fact that "all the shops you know" don't insist on you leaving YOUR original document, because the "shops you know" KNOW YOU ALREADY, and are willing to forgo the original document requirement.

However, most people who rent for the first time from a shop that "doesn't know them", DO have to leave their passport, or other highly valuable ORIGINAL document(s).

I'm not saying that a person (as a first-time customer) might never be able to find a exceptionally lax/lenient shop. I'm saying it's NOT COMMON (or even likely), that a person will, ANYWHERE in the world.

And that's not such a bad thing in Thailand, since since foreigners here are NOT REQUIRED TO CARRY THEIR ORIGINAL PASSPORT WITH THEM AT ALL TIMES, anyway. Only a copy is needed. But they DO need to have their ORIGINAL driver's (and International) licence with them at all times while operating a motor vehicle in the Kingdom. Now, the police may try and find some reason to extort money from you if they stop you while you're driving somewhere, but they can't literally do that for not carrying your passport with you (ie: they can't write a REAL ticket for it; it's not against the law). They may well find or invent some other offence that you'll "be guilty" of, but they simply cant pinch you legally for not having your passport with you. If they try to, stand your ground and tell 'em to "WRITE THE TICKET FOR IT", and see what happens.

Perspective, dude. Try and get some, before you start namcalling (on facts that aren't even true). Not everything is how it (only) looks, to YOU. :annoyed:

Wow.

Seems like you like to make things up. Please show me where in any post of mine:-

Where I say I "want the law to be enforced more like it would be in the West".

What I want is the law to be applied, or, not applied equally to Thais and foreigners.

Why all the personal insults when someone doesn't agree with you? Obviously you weren't brought up right.

Also, anyone older than 12 years old that still uses LOL in their posts is not to be taken seriously.

That was hardly an insult. I saw one of your bikes at the little Nai Harn bike show last year, and at the time I thought you were female. I think lots of members did, and it seemed as if you didn't want to straighten them up. Anyway, I remember thinking what a snazzy little bike, (imagining a woman riding it) Well since then you have become a man, but your bike is still a girls bike. Each to their own though mate.

When people are constantly slagging off the system here and how things are done, without actually saying the words, they are implying that they want the laws to be inforced simmilar to the way they are in the West.

I can't be bothered to go and find the quotes, but you have contridicted yourself quite badly. Some times saying you don't want other people to get tickets, and some times saying you do want Thais to get tickets as well!! Do you know what it is you want? (apart from to be allowed to ride bikes with no papers)

Finally you critisise me for making stuff up. To my knowledge I have never typed the letters LOL any time in my life. Perhaps you need to concentrate a bit more.

Story1

Story2

It's on websites, so everyone knows about it before they come right? So why do people feel so hard done by and act so shocked when it happens? Surely they should have planned to go somewhere else? Why come here, armed with all the facts, and then start moaning about it when it happens. And some people are suprised when they aren't able to make themselve happy!

handling accident as described by TAT usd to be common one-two decades ago. The eight years I have lived here permanently I have driven +400k km. Most accidents are handled fairly by police and Insurance companies. For everyone motoring, it is imprtant to have a good 3rd party Insurance and bailbond insurance, and expect others to have no insurance at all. Then there will never be any demand of paying anything on the spot, and insurance will cover all 3rd party claims within insurance limits, usually 10mill baht.

Covering 50-70k km a year, I have been involved in several minor accidents/scratches, and except for one incident with patong mafia, its always been fair. Even though a kid on Fino was at fault once hitting my car, police and I recommended him to leave as he was unable to pay for the damages. The Thai way :)

Traffic offences are in LOS frequently asked to be payed in cash on spot without issuing fines. But in Phuket this has not happend to me ONCE. Stopped by police and done something wrong I have ALWAYS been issued a fine 2-400 baht.

Stoping farang on bike. Sure, everyone know they are targets since very few of them have a valid driverslisence for bike. and most of them are dangerous on bikes

Good post. Another problem with blindly following web sites and forum comments is they become outdated so quickly. Which is why it really shows when people aren't describing things that have happened to them, just second hand (out dated) nonsence.

Yet they feel so hard done by. They're not legal and the police give them a ticket. How dare they! They then try to justify it by saying ' The Thais weren't getting tickets' like that has anything to do with them, and the reason they got a ticket.

Now the double standards issue is something altogether different. As often is the case on TV, many different angles of the same subject get mixed in together and the topic gets confused.

I will start by upsetting a few people and saying that, I have no problems with this what so ever. Thailand is a developing country in SEA, you just simply CAN NOT expect things to operate the same as they do in your own country, and why would you even want them to??

Quite simply, if you go to some body elses country, and break their traffic laws, you deserve to get a ticket. What tickest are being given out to locals or anyone else for that matter, has 100%, got absolutely nothing to do with you. That goes for the workers paying tax in to the system as well, before they pipe up.

So please lets stop getting the two arguments mixed up. The issuing of tickets to people who have broken no traffic laws and have the appropriate license, which is yet to be substantiated in the slightest. And the fact that locals do not get tickets for the same reasons Farang do. Which as I've said doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't get them, so I don't give a monkeys who else is or isn't getting them.

****BREAKING NEWS****

Earlier today, a foreigner, Mr. BangTaoBoy, was involved in a serious motor vehicle accident which resulted in him being paralysed from the neck down. Mr. BangTaoBoy was stationary on his motorbike at the intersection of Nanai Rd and Soi Baanzan when a Thai National, Mr. Somchai, an unemployed 18 year old from Phuket Town, collided with the rear of Mr. BangTaoBoy's motorbike at high speed.

Police report that Mr. Somchai was extremely drunk at the time of the accident after drinking a full bottle of samgsom in a Patong karaoke bar. Mr. Somchai, who does not have a licence, told police he could not avoid hitting Mr. BangTaoBoy because his bike had no brakes for the last 3 weeks because he didn't have money to fix them.

Mr. Somchai suffered a large cut to his forehead, as he was not wearing a helmet, but was otherwise fine. Mr. BangTaoBoy, who has a Thai wife and two children, will never be able to move his arms and legs again and will need fulltime care for the rest of his life. There will be a fund raising BBQ for MR. BangTaoBoy on Patong Beach next weekend. All are welcome.

When police spoke to Mr. BangTaoBoy and asked if he wished to press charges, Mr. BangTaoBoy said, "NO. IT'S OK. THAILAND IS A DEVELOPING COUNTRY IN SOUTH EAST ASIA. I SHOULD EXPECT THINGS LIKE THIS TO HAPPEN." :) :) :) :)

****BREAKING NEWS****

Earlier today, a foreigner, Mr. BangTaoBoy, was involved in a serious motor vehicle accident which resulted in him being paralysed from the neck down. Mr. BangTaoBoy was stationary on his motorbike at the intersection of Nanai Rd and Soi Baanzan when a Thai National, Mr. Somchai, an unemployed 18 year old from Phuket Town, collided with the rear of Mr. BangTaoBoy's motorbike at high speed.

Police report that Mr. Somchai was extremely drunk at the time of the accident after drinking a full bottle of samgsom in a Patong karaoke bar. Mr. Somchai, who does not have a licence, told police he could not avoid hitting Mr. BangTaoBoy because his bike had no brakes for the last 3 weeks because he didn't have money to fix them.

Mr. Somchai suffered a large cut to his forehead, as he was not wearing a helmet, but was otherwise fine. Mr. BangTaoBoy, who has a Thai wife and two children, will never be able to move his arms and legs again and will need fulltime care for the rest of his life. There will be a fund raising BBQ for MR. BangTaoBoy on Patong Beach next weekend. All are welcome.

When police spoke to Mr. BangTaoBoy and asked if he wished to press charges, Mr. BangTaoBoy said, "NO. IT'S OK. THAILAND IS A DEVELOPING COUNTRY IN SOUTH EAST ASIA. I SHOULD EXPECT THINGS LIKE THIS TO HAPPEN." :) :) :) :)

Spot on mate. Well done, finally someone gets where I'm coming from.

You're trying to be funny, but you've actually hit the nail on the head.

I make decisions on what I think is right for me and my family. If I deem Phuket a suitable place to live, taking all the risks in to consideration, then I will stand by that decision, regardless of what happened. I'm not one of the 'Make the rules up as I go along to suit me' kind of person, and a 'I want everything to be such a way that it benefits me and if it doesn't it must be wrong and needs to change' kind of person.

It's called integritty. I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong when peole are able to prove me wrong, and I will not moan about someyhing bad that happens, just because it happened to me, even though I was well aware of the risk before hand. That, I call gutless, wishy washy, spoilt behavior.

You've got the news report wrong anyway, it read like this:

Today, BangTaoBoy, expertly avoided an accident, by being one of the small minority of drivers (world over) that can use his mirrors and indicators. He saw the out of control bike in his mirror and calmly stepped to one side. No one was hurt in the incident. B)

Edited by LivinginKata

Spot on mate. Well done, finally someone gets where I'm coming from.

You're trying to be funny, but you've actually hit the nail on the head.

I make decisions on what I think is right for me and my family. If I deem Phuket a suitable place to live, taking all the risks in to consideration, then I will stand by that decision, regardless of what happened. I'm not one of the 'Make the rules up as I go along to suit me' kind of person, and a 'I want everything to be such a way that it benefits me and if it doesn't it must be wrong and needs to change' kind of person.

It's called integritty. I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong when peole are able to prove me wrong, and I will not moan about someyhing bad that happens, just because it happened to me, even though I was well aware of the risk before hand. That, I call gutless, wishy washy, spoilt behavior.

You've got the news report wrong anyway, it read like this:

Today, BangTaoBoy, expertly avoided an accident, by being one of the small minority of drivers (world over) that can use his mirrors and indicators. He saw the out of control bike in his mirror and calmly stepped to one side. No one was hurt in th eincident. B)

Driving in Thailand is expecting the unexpected, adn always have a retriet plan for the unexpected.

It is also to choose a route avoiding having to stop in the middle of the road to wait for oncoming traffic. Choose the route providing you left turns, and Somchai cant hit you easily ;)

and if sh-t happens, make sure YOU have a good insurance cause no one else has

It doesn't happen much - THAT'S THE POINT. You are not issued a ticket. Money is demanded from you and you pay. It goes straight into the pocket and you drive/ride away. Except, if you are Thai and can not pay because you have no money - they are allowed to ride on without paying.

Are you really suggesting, that the average Thai, should have the only means of transport he can afford, taken off the road for minor traffic offenses. The country would come to a stand still over night, and you and I would have to pack our bags. Is that what you want? Is that what you really think is fair.

If you're a farang in this country you CAN afford to pay for a ticket, which you undoubtedly deserved to get in the first place.

Anyway, as many people have pointed out, more often than not the police don't care what colour the person is, just the colour of the money. I for one don't get any pleasure from that.

If I drive past a mobile speed camera in the UK , on the other side of the road, I will stick my hand out the window and jesture for oncoming vehicles to slow down. People have saved me several points on my license by doing the same for me.

Here I take care of myself. I try to be legal. If I'm not and get a ticket, I will pay it without moaning, and actually be gratefull it's as tiny a fine as it is. I will NEVER point at local Thais and say, Why aren't they getting a ticket. I want them to be out of pocket as well' What a selfish, slimey attitude to have that is!

Are you really suggesting, that the average Thai, should have the only means of transport he can afford, taken off the road for minor traffic offenses. The country would come to a stand still over night, and you and I would have to pack our bags. Is that what you want? Is that what you really think is fair.

If you're a farang in this country you CAN afford to pay for a ticket, which you undoubtedly deserved to get in the first place.

Anyway, as many people have pointed out, more often than not the police don't care what colour the person is, just the colour of the money. I for one don't get any pleasure from that.

If I drive past a mobile speed camera in the UK , on the other side of the road, I will stick my hand out the window and jesture for oncoming vehicles to slow down. People have saved me several points on my license by doing the same for me.

Here I take care of myself. I try to be legal. If I'm not and get a ticket, I will pay it without moaning, and actually be gratefull it's as tiny a fine as it is. I will NEVER point at local Thais and say, Why aren't they getting a ticket. I want them to be out of pocket as well' What a selfish, slimey attitude to have that is!

main reason for police to not fine a broke thai national is the alternative. Bringing offender to court (at 20-100k baht cost) and court will issue fine limited to 1.000 baht for traffic offense

and just as back home, you dont want to fine your neighbor

main reason for police to not fine a broke thai national is the alternative. Bringing offender to court (at 20-100k baht cost) and court will issue fine limited to 1.000 baht for traffic offense

Selective enforcement is still corruption.

and if sh-t happens, make sure YOU have a good insurance cause no one else has

Especially the insurance is important.

Do you really think the insurance company cares about your colour? They only care about one thing: they don't want to pay, but want the opposing party to blame.

could disagree on that

any permit for farang to stay in LOS requires proof of funds. one year retired 800k baht, marriage 400k baht, entrystamp funds seldom checked on point of entry, but caught in drunk driving I promise you remain in jail if no funds for bail.

so police makes sure those able to pay for their offences do pay, and those unable to pay their fines can be ignored on occasions

It is also Thai culture to treat people according to their ability, which can not be considered corruption. For instance if a thai damages some of your belongings and not guilty in any criminal behavior, you can not bring the person to court if he/she earns less than 10k baht/month. If a rider of a 10k bike damages your car and is in fault but unable to pay, often a Thai driving a 1mill baht car lets him go.

There is no doubt corruption exists in LOS, but saying a policeoffiser ignore another persons behavior on occasions I would not consider corruption. Just as my neighbor police back home didint want to fine me for 53kmh in 50 area, but fined out of town people, in a country considered to be absolutely free of corruption. Fortunately there is less corruption here than in the new states in east Europe

I was going to reply to BTB's previous e-mail accusing me of contraticding myself (not true) which he is too lazy to prove, plus other personal insults, when I remembered the old adage:-

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Edited by KarenBravo

If saying these things out loud, makes you fell better, then so be it mate.

People have given you logical, sensible, reason why Thais don't get charged (sometimes, most of the time they do)

If you still want them to pay, then perhaps that's a reflection on you and your own happiness.

Call it corruption, extortion, whatever makes you feel better. It's the way it is, go with the flow. If you constantly feel the need to fight it, then this can't be the best place for you to live.

I was going to reply to BTB's previous e-mail accusing me of contraticding myself (not true) which he is too lazy to prove, plus other personal insults, when I remembered the old adage:-

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

I like that saying. :)

People have given you logical, sensible, reason why Thais don't get charged (sometimes, most of the time they do)

If you still want them to pay, then perhaps that's a reflection on you and your own happiness.

Call it corruption, extortion, whatever makes you feel better. It's the way it is, go with the flow. If you constantly feel the need to fight it, then this can't be the best place for you to live.

On a typical Highway speed check with radar or laser, most drivers are Thai nationals, arent that many farang on the Highways. In such speed checks all offenders are car drivers, and saying you have no money doesnt work. Of course a car driver has money, and all pay their fines. Treating people according to ability

could disagree on that

any permit for farang to stay in LOS requires proof of funds. one year retired 800k baht, marriage 400k baht, entrystamp funds seldom checked on point of entry, but caught in drunk driving I promise you remain in jail if no funds for bail.

so police makes sure those able to pay for their offences do pay, and those unable to pay their fines can be ignored on occasions

It is also Thai culture to treat people according to their ability, which can not be considered corruption. For instance if a thai damages some of your belongings and not guilty in any criminal behavior, you can not bring the person to court if he/she earns less than 10k baht/month. If a rider of a 10k bike damages your car and is in fault but unable to pay, often a Thai driving a 1mill baht car lets him go.

There is no doubt corruption exists in LOS, but saying a policeoffiser ignore another persons behavior on occasions I would not consider corruption. Just as my neighbor police back home didint want to fine me for 53kmh in 50 area, but fined out of town people, in a country considered to be absolutely free of corruption. Fortunately there is less corruption here than in the new states in east Europe

He couldn't have fined you anyway. You have to be speeding more than 10% over the limit, to allow for speedo calibration and other variables. He was probably trying to say he has done you a favour and you "owe him one" when he actually was not in a postion to fine you.

I like it here. I take Thailand for all it's good, and bad. All I am saying is there is selective enforcement here based on the individuals ability to pay. That's it.