Malaria...

asafkatzir

Hello,

I`ll be arriving to Thailand in a couple of days.

My 3 weeks trip will include a jeep track in the Mae Hong Son area (1 day) and a visit to Kanchanaburi (2 days).

My doctor said there is no need to take anti-malaria medication, but in variouse web sites and books it is mentioned that the above places are at risk of malaria.

What is your recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

Hello,

My 3 weeks trip will include a jeep track in the Mae Hong Son area (1 day) and a visit to Kanchanaburi (2 days).

My doctor said there is no need to take anti-malaria medication, but in variouse web sites and books it is mentioned that the above places are at risk of malaria.

Thanks in advance,

You are at risk of malaria and dengue fever all over Thailand. But generally the risk is small.

It is a matter of personal choice whether to use anti malarials or not. Many of the drugs do not give that good protection.

I do not use anti-malarial drugs as I think the possible side effects are not worth it.

Saying that, I would not recommend either way, it's your decision.

If you choose not to use the drugs, take every precaution to avoid being bitten by the mozzies.

Anyway, don't you have to start a course of drugs a week or so before your holiday? You are leaving in a couple of days.

Edited by sbk

I myself would take anti-malarial medication if i was going to be exposed to an at risk area......there are many available on the market. Do your research if you so choose. I wont reccommend what i have taken, im not a physician.

there is a drug which you take after you get infected and it clears that perfectly.

The only thing is that the symptomes are not easy to detect as specific to malaria for a novice.

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

I've got Dengue Fever right now. I caught it in Trang. I caught malaria in Trang four years ago. There isn't supposed to be malaria in Trang according to the gov.

Wear bug repellent at all times is my advice :o

If it is your first trip to Thailand you will most prob get bitten by the mozzies. So I would take the tablets. Malaria is nasty.

Anyway I thought there was an injection you had prior to coming to Thailand to protect you from Malaria? I'm sure I've had that one, I don't really remember though as the nurse injected me four times.

Edited by Ice Maiden

check w/other israelis there's enough of them that have been in the area... if u wait a day or so i can ask here (in j-m) what the latest suggestions are...

malarias and their mosquito vectors differ from country to country; kupat cholim here also said i didnt need meds; just use the (the blue one with the mosquito on it)

דוחייתושים מצה''ל ; what some docs give is tetracycline type med as prophylactic sort of....

just make sure when u get back if u have any symptoms of anything u let the doctor know where u've been.....

אל תדאג

bina

tzuba

Edited by sbk