Chevy Cruze

rics21

was watching the channel 3 news. saw the commercial of chevy cruze. booking the 2011 model at the motor show and all chevy showrooms.

assembled at the chevy rayong assembly plant.

available in 1.6 and 1.8L

details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cruze

http://cruze.in.th

mates in the states commented that it is considered not bad due to it's fuel efficiency. hp is ok. 6 gear auto.

but will not be able to challenge the Altis, nor the civic. thais do not believe in chevy, who does?

gm is too weak in Thailand. having another model from holden aka daewoo will not help much. guess GM is just trying to create the brand awareness after the mini success of the captiva.

Cruze is a better car then the Altis, but you'd never buy a new one in Thailand because of the issues with the brand and lack of service. If you can wait 2-3 years for used one, and live near a service center it could be a good buy. They will depreciate fast compared to Civic/Altis.

Toyota sells the Altis/Corolla based on reputation alone. It is no longer the class leader it once was.

Guess No 3 door or 5 door Hatch will be sold here ?

On the other hand the 2.0 Diesel is not a bad price here

"Price version 2.0 VCDi LT Automatic Price 908,000 Baht with air conditioning, 6 speed automatic Sensors help park Cruise Control. Fog lights Alloy 17-inch front wheel, windshield wipers automatically. Automatic headlights, 6 disc CD, Chen Future MP 3 player and alarm, 0-100 km in 9.9 sec + around 20 km per lt"

"Price version 2.0 VCDi LT Automatic Price 908,000 Baht with air conditioning, 6 speed automatic Sensors help park Cruise Control. Fog lights Alloy 17-inch front wheel, windshield wipers automatically. Automatic headlights, 6 disc CD, Chen Future MP 3 player and alarm, 0-100 km in 9.9 sec + around 20 km per lt"

Ignis where did you get that information? It's about 200K cheaper than the focus tdci.

...ok I just found it, in Thai of course:)

Edited by culicine

the fuel efficiency will be Better compared to the altis n civic according to some thai forums I been going thru. friends in the states commented that it is around 30mpg.

it will be a good buy, but make sure u stay close to a chevy service center and it ain't closing soon. the chevy showroom + service center beside the mall bang kapi closed down while I was deciding to or not to buy the captiva. guess I was real lucky being indecisive at times.

there is the cng version of chevy optra, fuel efficiency is king. ngv gas is really cheap nowadays with lots of pumps all over. but nothing can move the Thais loyalty to the mightly Japanese car makers. Toyota and Honda has won the hearts of the car owners of this land. while isuzu has won the souls of some of the upcountry pickup owners.

chevy needs to do more promotional events, madza 2 has got the singer "paye slur" (however u pronounce it) to be seen driving the madza 2.

tv commercials r critical wherever we r. let's see if the chevy management budget on inviting the "bodyslam". the thai band is god dam'n famous among the teenagers nowadays. I saw a few of the bodyslam posers at Siam the other day.

can cruze create the craze?

there is the cng version of chevy optra, fuel efficiency is king. ngv gas is really cheap nowadays with lots of pumps all over. but nothing can move the Thais loyalty to the mightly Japanese car makers

sadly a big dent and cost for GM the CNG Chevrolet Colorado.

last week near me they had 5 all under 20,000 km all non runners and Chevrolet had to replace the trucks with brand new ones, Z71 top of the range with all extras

Chevrolet Colorado CNG is no longer For Sale..

Edit: Petrol CNG are fine in the cars

Edited by ignis

It is a nice car, have seen them testing it for the past 6 months. I would buy it over the Altis for sure. I really like the LTZ version. It looks great and sounds great as well. The interior is sharp also.

If you like the Chevy trucks, stay tuned. You may be happily surprised this fall.

2.0 common rail diesel sounds nice... until I found out it's outdated technology made by VM Motori :-( Probably sounds like a John Deere Tractor

Ignis where did you get that information? It's about 200K cheaper than the focus tdci.

...ok I just found it, in Thai of course:)

I was mildly excited about the Cruze back in 2008, but then as it launched in other markets it became apparent it wasn't quite the car everyone had hoped/expected it be.. I'll reserve final judgment until I get a chance to drive a Thai market one though :)

On a side note, my new cars list was bang-on again:

:D

2.0 common rail diesel sounds nice... until I found out it's outdated technology made by VM Motori :-( Probably sounds like a John Deere Tractor

Again, stay tuned. They are changing motors in the fall also.

present 2,0 diesel/150hp supplied by Italian VM Motori isnt that bad, same as Daewoo/Captiva. On par with japs/thai 4 pot diesels as in SUVs and pickups, but far away from the refined europeans

present 2,0 diesel/150hp supplied by Italian VM Motori isnt that bad, same as Daewoo/Captiva. On par with japs/thai 4 pot diesels as in SUVs and pickups, but far away from the refined europeans

How would it compare to the focus tdci, which had less HP but about the same torque?

How would it compare to the focus tdci, which had less HP but about the same torque?

feels 5 years older than ford, which again feels 2-4 years older than benz and bmw. todays VM and Vigo 3,0 feels like benz/audi/bmw 8-10 years ago

Not bad, not state of the art

Edited by katabeachbum

Warning: Highly opinionated post follows ;)

In Australia where it wears the 2nd most popular badge in the country (Holden), it's still stuck in 4th place in the B segment, behind the market leading Mazda 3 (the new one we'll be seeing soon in TH that is), the Corolla, and even the Hyundai i30. That's not to say it's not a nice car, but in this price bracket, all of the competition is "nice", and bland, and in reality, just plain mediocre.

The Cruze really just doesn't break any molds I'm afraid.

For this market you'd be better served by a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla if you just want a competent car with good reliability, strong service network, nice styling and good resale value. The Cruze will only give you 3 out of those 5 in this country (forget about resale value, and be prepared to seriously lower your customer service expectations buying a Chev).

The "new" Mazda 3 (long overdue for TH) is really the next car to wait for in this segment, followed by the all-new Ford Focus in 2012, IMHO.

YMMV :D

• 1 year later...

Look at all the good things people said when I wasn't here. Then I said I bought one and it all changed.

The only issues I've had is with the service. But it is not terrible, it's just that at the dealer I went to the mechanics are stupid. Trying another one this week.

Other than that, the Cruze has been the best car I've ever owned. And MUCH better than the rebadged City/Civic. I mean, what's the difference between a Top City and. civic. Civic is small inside as it is. Uncomfortable in the back.

Cruze is where is at.

Mazda 3 is crap. Looks huge outside. Then you get inside and you feel like you're inside a Brio.

Edited by thaicruze