Driving To Udon Thani

Thaihog

Take Highway 11 south from Chiang Mai to Phitsanulok, pick up highway 12 east to Khon Kean then take Highway 2 north to Udon Thain. Good highways all the way. Some construction around the Den Chai area on 11. Allot of dual carriage way on 11. 12 is a very good highway but only 2 lanes and mountains. Great scenery. Highway 2 is dual carriage.way. 5 hours to Phitsanulok. another 4 hours to Khon Kean then 2 hours to Udon.Approximately 10 to 11 hours drive..make sure you have full tank of petro when leaving Phitsanulok.

Take Highway 11 south from Chiang Mai to Phitsanulok, pick up highway 12 east to Khon Kean then take Highway 2 north to Udon Thain. Good highways all the way. Some construction around the Den Chai area on 11. Allot of dual carriage way on 11. 12 is a very good highway but only 2 lanes and mountains. Great scenery. Highway 2 is dual carriage.way. 5 hours to Phitsanulok. another 4 hours to Khon Kean then 2 hours to Udon.Approximately 10 to 11 hours drive..make sure you have full tank of petro when leaving Phitsanulok.

Ive done this route a few times and without doubt its the best way to go, I once did it with no stops apart from gasoline stops in 9 hours, but its a long old drag in one go.

Took this route to Friendship bridge, Nong Khai, last month. 10 hrs. Before KK I took hwy228 & hwy210 up to Udon. Came back along the Thai side of Mekong River then through Loie & Nakhon Thai, hwy 211, hwy203, hwy 1143. As Gotlost says "fill up after Pitsanulok" - long stretch on hwy12 through national park without gas-stations.......

btw Thaihog, I think you'll drive a bit faster than me in that Pajero of yours ;)

Edited by MESmith

Took this route to Friendship bridge, Nong Khai, last month.  10 hrs.  Before KK I took hwy228 & hwy210 up to Udon.  Came back along the Thai side of Mekong River then through Loie & Nakhon Thai, hwy 211, hwy203, hwy 1143.  As Gotlost says "fill up after Pitsanulok" - long stretch on hwy12 through national park without gas-stations.......

btw Thaihog, I think you'll drive a bit faster than me in that Pajero of yours  ;)

Thanks. Do you submit the visa application and passport in the morning and pick up the following day in the afternoon?

Anywhere you recommend to stay in Vientiane, I'll be with my Thai wife and 6 year old daughter.

Cheers :jap:

Not sure about an hotel in Udon but if you don't want to do the trip in one day this is a great hotel in Khon Kean. Khon kaen Orchid I have stayed here a few times and the rooms are very clean and they also do a family room. Then its about 3 hours to the border the next morning, so great if you set off next morning at 6-7am you'll get to the embassy to put your passport in way before 12.

Not sure about an hotel in Udon but if you don't want to do the trip in one day this is a great hotel in Khon Kean. Khon kaen Orchid I have stayed here a few times and the rooms are very clean and they also do a family room. Then its about 3 hours to the border the next morning, so great if you set off next morning at 6-7am you'll get to the embassy to put your passport in way before 12.

Thanks mate, looks perfect. I've always wanted to go to Khon Kaen B)

Ive done this route a few times and without doubt its the best way to go, I once did it with no stops apart from gasoline stops in 9 hours, but its a long old drag in one go.

How many hours to drive to Khon Kean. I drive a 3.2 Pajero and I have a heavy right foot. Any areas that I should watch out for the highway police?

Cheers....

How many hours to drive to Khon Kean. I drive a 3.2 Pajero and I have a heavy right foot. Any areas that I should watch out for the highway police?

Cheers....

Usually takes me 8 hours without hurrying too much though it might be quicker now if the work south of Denchai has progressed. The Police on Khon Kaens dual carriageway are very keen on their 90km/h speed limit. Usually find some activity around Nong Ruea. For what its worth I tend to stay in the Rachawadi next to the airport although the price has gone up it is convenient. Only 1.6km past the western approach bypass junction routes 12/230 so you dont have get too near the city and easy to resume afterwards.

I have driven the road over 30 times by every possible route. The last time I did it was in rainy weather and I had my GPS on. Nong Khai to Lampang was 555km and the driving time was just under 7 hours so Chiangmai - Udon should be about 7.5 hours. The shortest and fastest route I have used is Chiangmai-Denchai-Chatrakarn-Nakhon Thai-Phu Rua-Wang Saphung-Nong Bua Lamphu-Udon.

I have driven the road over 30 times by every possible route. The last time I did it was in rainy weather and I had my GPS on. Nong Khai to Lampang was 555km and the driving time was just under 7 hours so Chiangmai - Udon should be about 7.5 hours. The shortest and fastest route I have used is Chiangmai-Denchai-Chatrakarn-Nakhon Thai-Phu Rua-Wang Saphung-Nong Bua Lamphu-Udon.

How low do you fly and how many speeding tickets do you have.:whistling: