Thailand's PM Abhisit Cancels Trip To Russia

webfact

TIGERS SUMMIT

PM will not attend global Tiger Summit in Russia next week

By The Nation

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva would not go to Russia next week to attend the Global Tiger Summit at St Petersberg, Russia, government spokesman Panithan Wattanayagorn said on Thursday.

Abhisit has designated Natural Resources and Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti to take part in the wildlife conference on tiger conservation on his behalf, Panithan said.

The government spokesman insisted the trip had no linkage to the extradition of Russion arms dealer Viktor Bout to face trial in the United States.

He said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had kept the Russian authorities informed on every step of the extradition process.

"Thailand acted in accordance with the laws and international treaty obligations before making an executive decision for the extradition mindful of its national interest," he said.

He dismissed concern about adverse repercussion from Russia. He also ruled out the Russian allegation that the government was under pressure from the United States.

The House committee on foreign relations might have gone overboard in suggesting that Russia might close off its sky to the Thai national carriers in retaliation of the extradition, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-18

Thailand PM cancels Russia trip, Bout link denied

BANGKOK, November 18, 2010 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva abruptly cancelled a trip to Russia on Thursday and defended his decision to extradite an alleged arms dealer to the United States which outraged Moscow.

Thailand expelled Viktor Bout, who is suspected of being one of the world's biggest arms traffickers, to face trial in the United States after a prolonged legal battle and fierce opposition from his home country Russia.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva insisted the decision to send Bout to the US on Tuesday was not made under pressure from Washington and blamed Russia for failing to robustly contest the case.

He has since cancelled a trip to Saint Petersburg to attend a summit on tigers, although he said this was to discuss constitutional amendments and denied any link to the extradition.

"The foreign minister and I suggested how Russia should fight the case but they failed to act. You have to ask Russia why they did not take action," he told reporters.

Abhisit expressed hope that Russia would not let the case affect its relationship with Thailand.

"Russia must take overall relations into consideration and it's not good to allow one single issue to affect ties," he said, adding that he had told the Russian president that he would not be able to attend the upcoming meeting.

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is due to host the four-day summit, which begins on Sunday and aims to halt the decline of the big cats.

Bout's sudden extradition came shortly after the Thai cabinet approved his handover in a move that prompted fresh fury from Moscow, which had vowed to do all it could to bring him home.

The Russian foreign ministry said his extradition was "illegal" and prompted by US pressure.

A top Russian diplomat in New York, where the suspect pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges on Wednesday, has also accused Thai authorities of taking away all of Bout's personal possessions.

The 43-year-old former Soviet air force pilot had been fighting extradition on terrorism charges since his March 2008 arrest after a sting operation in Bangkok involving undercover US agents posing as Colombian FARC rebels.

Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya denied the extradition would hurt ties with Russia.

"We still enjoy a cordial relationship with Russia. We should not let this single issue affect it," he told reporters.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-11-18

He deny it is linked all he wants but I doubt anyone will buy that lame excuse. he has bottled it :lol:

Maybe he should still go and sit next to the american delegate for protection :lol:

I'm sure your hero Thaksin will be back soon, to make all the Russian mafia friends happy again...:ph34r:

He deny it is linked all he wants but I doubt anyone will buy that lame excuse. he has bottled it :lol:

Maybe he should still go and sit next to the american delegate for protection :lol:

I'm sure your hero Thaksin will be back soon, to make all the Russian mafia friends happy again...:ph34r:

this thread is not about Thaksin, try and stay on topic. Also why do you think he is my hero? If I laugh at abhisit then I must have Thaksin as my hero? what a strange man.

This thread is about abhisit and how he bottled going to Russia :lol:

The Thailand bashers come out quick when they see an oppertunity dont they?

The VB thing could have some influnce but................

Dont you think tiger conservation would have to be fairly far down the list of pressing issues here in TL?

this thread is not about Thaksin, try and stay on topic. Also why do you think he is my hero? If I laugh at abhisit then I must have Thaksin as my hero? what a strange man.

Hmmm sending the guy in charge of wildlife in Thailand to a meeting about wildlife? How strange! It is tiger conservation, not international high -level politics :)

Personally, I would pass on going to Russia in November as well :)

Hmmm sending the guy in charge of wildlife in Thailand to a meeting about wildlife? How strange! It is tiger conservation, not international high -level politics :)

Personally, I would pass on going to Russia in November as well :)

Of course the option was always open to send this guy, and if that was the most sensible thing to do he would have been sent initially, rather than the pm who agreed to go and has now backed down a couple of days after being told in no uncertain terms by the russians what they think of him and his corrupt country.

I guess you just think is coincidence, but the majority will see it for exactly what it is. I am sure he knew about these important meetings in Thailand before the extradition but only decided to pull out now :lol: lets see this for exactly what it is for a change, your poster boy has bottled it, pure and simple.

It's been said Thaksin has big loans from Russian Oil oligarchs.

Now what better way to get him in power to pay them off than someone 'tops'

Abisit in Russia, blames it on 'Bouts friends' and thus on Government misteps, Thaksin comes back and makes the big deals for the seabeds oil fields... The money is big enough to get things this bad to be plausible.

Edited by animatic

:)

I am sorry, but I don't remember Abhisit being my poster boy, nor am I sure he ever planned to go. That beig said, things at home like the Red shirt protests scheduled to be upcoming certainly take precedence over attending a meeting that would not normally be a meeting attended by PM's or Presidents :)

I do agree though that Abhisit would make a great posterboy!

Knowing that Thailand need lots of resources, probably is wise to start being more friendly with Russia than US since Russia has a lot of natural resources

Knowing that Thailand need lots of resources, probably is wise to start being more friendly with Russia than US since Russia has a lot of natural resources

The increasing ties with Brazil and Thailand seem to be enough to deal with that :)

The mad hatter would give a more responsible/coherent post than some of the self proclaimed experts on wildlife conservation (not restricted to the 4 legged kind)

The diesel oil delivery deal made by a past PM at 37 baht a liter is probably looking good depending on which side of the water you are on. This is another subject where followup has gone strangely silent since the deal was announced.

In plain English what does "bottled" mean ...I always thought one bottled beer ,fruit or jam....dont think they are things that Khun Abhisit has time for

Dont you think tiger conservation would have to be fairly far down the list of pressing issues here in TL?

What does the OP really tell us? It says conservation of the tiger, an endangered species, is not a priority for the Prime Minister. Whereas his political future is.

Edited by rreddin

What does the OP really tell us? It says conservation of the tiger, an endangered species, is not a priority for the Prime Minister. Whereas his political future is.

Debate in Parliament next week on constitutional amendments is a priority for the entire country.

Sending the appropriate Cabinet Minister doesn't lessen the importance of tiger conservation.

Edited by Buchholz

You can get resources anywhere, they don't need to come from Russia. But Thai exports to Russia are tiny, exports to the US are enormous.

Whoewer goes to Russia better bring the bulletproof west they gave to Bout. And bring those "fearsom looking" comandos aswell.

The Thais will end up with a bloodied nose over this for sure!

Tiger

Not a chance ....

This isn't even a minor blip on the diplomatic radar for Thailand.

I think it is a sensible move by the PM and his office! Bout was removed very quickly but look at what he was - former KGB, spoke multiple languages, former air force I mean c'mon guys, put 2+2 together. The Soviets were bitching 'cos he is connected or still active as a 'spook'. As a friend of mine said, that is why the US rushed him stamped "express", outta Thailand, complete with bash hat, flak jacket, armed SWAT and multiple covert security on a private charter jet et al. The Russians know this guy would be better off silenced for who and what he knows.

So then the Thailand PM to visit Russia? Nah - don't think so. Wrong move as he would be a retaliatory target risk for certain from any one of many 'sources'. Good move Thailand.

MERCHANT OF DEATH

PM not going to Russia ‘not because of Bout'

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_19363.jpg

A planned trip to Russia by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been called off because of his parliamentary duties, and has nothing to do with the controversial extradition of suspected Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout to the US, said Panitarn Watthanayakorn, deputy secretary to the PM.

“The prime minister has been busy with parliamentary sessions involving amendments of the Constitution, and assigned Deputy Prime Minister Suwit Khunkitti to go to Russia [to attend the International Forum on Tiger Conservation from November 21-24] on his behalf,” he added.

Asked whether a written explanation extended to Russia over Bout’s US-bound extradition was needed, Panitarn said it remained to be seen depending on the “appropriateness”.

“Thai-Russian relations are indeed improving, and Thai and Russian delegations have had no problems [over Viktor Bout’s extradition] during recent meetings,” he added.

Abhisit had earlier said his cancellation had been conveyed to Russian President Dimitri Medvedev in a recent meeting.

The prime minister said he and Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya had explained to the Russian authorities about legal channels through which they could resist or defend the extradition, prior to the legal deadline on November 20 when Bout could walk free if not extradited. “But no response or action was taken, and I don’t know why,” he added.

Asked about a statement by the Russian Embassy in Thailand that it had not received a written explanation about Bout’s extradition, Abhisit said the embassy staff should make an inquiry through the Russian Foreign Ministry. “I think the matter should not affect Thai-Russian ties. We would have sent Bout to the US long ago if we were manipulable to whatever requests the US makes,” he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-19

The prime minister said he and Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya had explained to the Russian authorities about legal channels through which they could resist or defend the extradition, prior to the legal deadline on November 20 when Bout could walk free if not extradited. “But no response or action was taken, and I don’t know why,” he added.

Asked about a statement by the Russian Embassy in Thailand that it had not received a written explanation about Bout’s extradition, Abhisit said the embassy staff should make an inquiry through the Russian Foreign Ministry. “I think the matter should not affect Thai-Russian ties. We would have sent Bout to the US long ago if we were manipulable to whatever requests the US makes,” he added.

I think these last 2 paragraphs sum it up. Especially the last sentence. The PM here has more important things to do locally rather than attend this meeting. Sending the Natural Resources and Environment Minister should have probably been setup in the first place. Seems more appropriate?

Abisit in Russia, blames it on 'Bouts friends' and thus on Government misteps, Thaksin comes back and makes the big deals for the seabeds oil fields... The money is big enough to get things this bad to be plausible.

tinfoilhat.jpg

tinfoilhat.jpg

It should be impossible to take Animatic's conspiracy theory seriously.

Unfortunately we live in a world where it is not impossible, alas. Russian power brokers have no conscience at all when it comes to getting their own way - starting with the Prime Minister President down.... They certainly wouldn't hesitate to "fix" Thai politics to suit themselves.

This is plausible, if not confirmed.