A Born Again Cyclist

GuestHouse

Back in the day I was a very keen competitive cyclist (Held a 1st Cat Road Licence for 7 years, sub 54' 25 mile TT / Sub 21' 10 mile TT / rode in the national track and road championships every year I had my first cat licence and road a few internationals.

In my thirties I developed lung problems which essentially crippled me and I thought that was the end of any sport.

Well two years ago I had full sinus surgery (all my sinuses) and very rapidly my health started to improve.

Now I could get bitter about a waisted decade - but I bought a bike instead.

The first ride I went on was bloody painful. I was gasping for breath, I had stitch, I threw up and got the cramp. I rode about 30 Kms and when I'd finished I had to go to bed for a couple of hours sleep.

Three months of persevering had me fit enough to double my speed of that first ride and do so without the nasty side affects.

I aslo had the good fortune to meet a group of Thai cyclists who invited me to join their Sunday morning Hack - Like my first ride I started off really struggling, but four months later and I'm taking my turn on the front, sprinting for boundary signs and thoroughly enjoying being in the bunch with the guys.

It's something I thought I'd never experience again - it's not racing like the old days, those times have past (I'm glad I had them) but there is nevertheless the thrill of trying to beat guys to a marker by the road, the sound of the tyres and gears in the bunch and the buzz you get from an eyeballs on the handlebars thrash down the lanes.

I recall very well my first ride out on my old Falcon, it cost me £52 (at a time when I was earning £4.50 a week), I rode over to a bunch of hills about 15 miles from my parent's house - I was wearing my footy kit and had filled my drink bottle with milk, because I thought cyclist drink milk. The milk turned to sour butter (milk had cream in it back then) so I had to call at a house by the road to ask for clean water.

As a youngster cycling was a real freedom to just go where I wanted under my own steam.

I did the same tonight, a potter down the lanes, under my own steam - I really really never thought I'd do that again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey nice to hear your back at it GH !

Nothing puts that smile on a face like cycling eh?

sub 54' 25 mile TT is a very good time now matter how many years ago you did it ;) Congrats

Edited by flying

I'll second flying, a very good 25 and 10 mile time, looks like you were very handy on a bike being 1st cat as well.

I never quite managed to break the hour myself but got very close on a few occasions, perhaps if I went chasing fast courses on the best days I might have managed it. Much prefer to cycle just for fun and fitness these days, no pressure to improve.

Well done on getting back on the bike, no easy to do after a long layoff. Enjoy your cycling.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Good story, I used to be into my mountain biking about 10 years ago. we used to bike for about 35 miles through woods and country side tracks. it was great fun. about 6 of us used to meet around my place every saturday morning and go for it. then get home clean up and go for a beer, we would only need two pints and then be done! :rolleyes:

I miss them days as well but dont think I miss them enough to try it in Thailand. to hot and I couldnt trust the other road users. :unsure:

good luck and I am happy for you.

I miss them days as well but dont think I miss them enough to try it in Thailand. to hot and I couldnt trust the other road users. :unsure:

I took a ride yesterday in search of a new scanner from On Nut up to Fortune Town then back via RCA and Seacon/Paradise, picking up, as well as the scanner, six domestic housebricks along the way. The way I felt when I got back I guessed I'd done at least as far as I used to do to work and back, 32km. plotting it on Google Earth I discovered I'd done 42km. My knees were on fire and I was expecting worse today but they are fine. Very few deliberate attempts to kill me - fewer than I would get in London anyway - with my whistle and yellow reflective waistcoat, Thai drivers are more frightened of me then the reverse.

The important thing is don't forget the sunscreen

After reading your story i thought i would give a 10mile TT a try first try 38min then 2nd try 37.08min. Think i need to stay of the beer and keep on the bike.

Dont think i will get any where near 21min unless i do it on the scooter laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second flying, a very good 25 and 10 mile time, looks like you were very handy on a bike being 1st cat as well.

I never quite managed to break the hour myself but got very close on a few occasions, perhaps if I went chasing fast courses on the best days I might have managed it. Much prefer to cycle just for fun and fitness these days, no pressure to improve.

Well done on getting back on the bike, no easy to do after a long layoff. Enjoy your cycling.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

I battled with the sub 25 for about three years, then I went under on the C25/1 (by no stretch of the imagination a 'fast course') and there after I almost never went over the hour - I think it was a psychological barrier more than a physical barrier.

• 2 months later...

I GuestHouse, just read your artical, enjoyed it very much, I could never beat the hour, did a few 1hr 0 0 & 1hr 1, but just could not get below the hr, wish I had a cateye then. From what you were saying, it sounds like we were racing in the same era, the 60s or am I being cheeky.

Joined Tunstall whls at 15 & was going Ok, until I joined the Army. Even though I used to race for the Army, there was no one to train with, so I went backwards, instead of forwards, but I did manage to win the ocasional race. After leaving the Army I had a lay off of about 20yrs before coming back to a sport I love.

I brought my bike with me when I came over here about 12yrs ago, but about 6yrs ago, I collapsed {nothing to do with cycling}.I was in hospital for a few months & the first thing I did when coming out of hospital, was to stop at Pro Bike & buy a wind trainer. It was 6mths before I could walk, but has soon has I could walk to the gate, I got on my bike. At first I could only do 5mins, on the trainer, it took awhile but when I could ride for 2hrs, I then went on the road.

My wife bought me a Trek carbon for Xmas,isn't she good, I now ride most days, anywhere between 40klm & 70klm with a 100plus some Sundays. I go out alone or with a bunch of Thai lads who are 20 & 30 yrs younger than me, & I normaly get dropped in the last 5k, but even though i'm hanging on & suffering most of the time, I still love it. The Thai lads who I go out with make me so welcome, I could not imagine being anwhere else or doing anything else. I love it

hi, not exactly 'born again' but I do feel like it in terms of my cycling, we moved last week to Chanthaburi province, my first cycle ride today; we'd done the route before on the motorbike so I knew what to expect:

almost 30km of new roads complete with red-coloured cycle lanes each side, starts before Chao Lao and continues down the coast to Laem Sing; through CL itself there is one cycle lane (two-way) on the sea-side separated from the road by a median strip. Lovely ride from home to the beach, quick swim and back home.

A lot of cyclists here it seems, a club based at Burapha Uni, plus been told of an over-40s group, will inquire at cycle shop when we go to C'buri city.

• 2 weeks later...

continuing my Chanthaburi coast exploration, yesterday another road with cycle lanes each side heading from Khung Wiman beach north towards Rayong, once I've found them all I'll try and provide a map

and the bridge south of Chao Lao heading towards Laem Sing has had its cycle lanes/walkways painted since I was last there, and the new public toilets are 'open for business' - and there's even a bicycle parking area!

This is just too good.

And what great weather this side of the Gulf of T, while my friends in Phuket have rain every day (I try not to gloat, but did send them the pics)