Which Farang Owned Businesses Have Been Here The Longest On Samui

dansat

As we know many Farang owned businesses start and close down everyday on Samui. I would bet something like 70 % fail within the first 2 years. ( i dont know this i am just guessing)

Anyway what Farang owned businesses have been here the longest with the same owner that opened them ?

I know 2 restaurants in Lamai that have been around for about 16 years with the same owners. They are the longest ones that i know of. But i am sure there are ones that have been around even longer.

A Soi in Chaweng is named after the enterprise of a successful German, don't know if he wanna be named here, who is doing his business since ~25 years.

If he's actually been here for 25 years, why do you think he would fear his name being posted on this site? And why be so cagey about naming the establishment? Seems to be a lot of cloak and dagger for nothing going on here. . . or has he overstayed his tourist visa for 299 months?

Friend of mine, Mamma Roma restaurant, around 25 years.

Detlev, German guy from Colibri', a long time too.

And the list could be very very long...

Personally I'm 10 years on business in KPG and several 20 years business I know.

im a business broker and sold businesses in usa for 20 years and for 5 years in bangkok

the 70% failure is a little high but not too far off

many farangs come here to buy a business for 2 reasons

long term stay in thailand when too young to reitre here or cant find work here

buy a business for the thai gf or wife to manage while they return to their home country

the near 70% failure rate is for one of these 2 reasons or both

if a farang comes here to invest in a business and if he has a successful business experience in his own country

and if he gives full time attention to his business here the success rate is more like 70%

if a farang invests in a business here for all the wrong reasons the failure rate is very high

this is my opinion after selling businesses in bangkok to farangs for 5 years

im a business broker and sold businesses in usa for 20 years and for 5 years in bangkok

the 70% failure is a little high but not too far off

many farangs come here to buy a business for 2 reasons

long term stay in thailand when too young to reitre here or cant find work here

buy a business for the thai gf or wife to manage while they return to their home country

the near 70% failure rate is for one of these 2 reasons or both

if a farang comes here to invest in a business and if he has a successful business experience in his own country

and if he gives full time attention to his business here the success rate is more like 70%

if a farang invests in a business here for all the wrong reasons the failure rate is very high

this is my opinion after selling businesses in bangkok to farangs for 5 years

Sounds about right and i've seen little in my years here to contradict anything of what you say. Construction is an exception in so much as even a well run company would struggle to survive the property market here which has collapsed and frankly does'nt look like regenerating for a few years........but i'm sure some estate agent will now tell you different. ;)

Our resort began 30 years ago with six bungalows and a restaurant with the only video player (Betamax)) on the island, but Swedish Bill was already doing business with Bills Supermarket and some windsurfers for rent. The building is now empty but Bill is still around. I think Mama Romas sprang up when the Beach Road was concreted.

i believe the most commonly used statistics in the west indicate an 80% failure rate within the first two years, due to a lack of capital or lack of management and in many cases some of each. given the obstacles one must overcome in order to conduct a successful business in thailand and certainly samui my guess would be that a 70% failure rate here (within 2 years) is too low.

just driving around the island you can see "italian restaurants" springing up in between a low rent massage and thai bike shop and it really is a head scratcher.