Drowning Off Lamai?

On the topic of jet skis, I was once aware of a similar situation and was trying to convince the jet ski guys to act, but only money talked, until at some stage the baht fell and it clicked and within a whim they were out on the water checking the swimmer in potential problems and didn't want any money for it afterwards, even when offered. Even when we got to the stage offering money before they wanted to go out, once they understood what was happening, they just went out.

This reaction and form of action may vary between jet ski rent guys, this was the one time I was in a situation like this and what I experienced on that day on Chaweng beach.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

let me get it straight. u were the only person that beleived he was in trouble. the other people did not. so why would they help.
Too much applied logic...

anyway the person who wrote the post could have weritten it in a way that would not make him look stupid bu blaming other people.

Yes, I'm agreeing... I guess I forgot the :rolleyes: icons to underline my sarcasm?

On the topic of jet skis, I was once aware of a similar situation and was trying to convince the jet ski guys to act, but only money talked, until at some stage the baht fell and it clicked and within a whim they were out on the water checking the swimmer in potential problems and didn't want any money for it afterwards, even when offered. Even when we got to the stage offering money before they wanted to go out, once they understood what was happening, they just went out.

This reaction and form of action may vary between jet ski rent guys, this was the one time I was in a situation like this and what I experienced on that day on Chaweng beach.

So was it a false alarm or warranted? Regardless, you did the right thing.. And so did the jet ski guys, good on them for a change, a solution can be had with more initiative applied..

So was it a false alarm or warranted? Regardless, you did the right thing.. And so did the jet ski guys, good on them for a change, a solution can be had with more initiative applied..

The question you ask about false alarm or not is moot and you answered it already but to answer it nonetheless, a snorkeler suspected of going missing was just obscured by waves for a few minutes but was doing very fine and didn't need any help.

My unconditional respect to volunteers saving lives at Chaweng Beach. :jap:

This kit is mandatory for every beach in Australia and is available from The Australian Surf Lifesaving Council of Australia in Brisbane. The webbing strap enables the rescuer to use both arms to swim towing the "tube" which he then clips around the waist of the swimmer. The line is our idea but most rescues here are in 200 m. off the beach. Forget the liferings sold here, they all shatter into four pieces.

post-90689-0-35918100-1290587799_thumb.j

If you spend a few hours on any beach on Samui you'll find yourself in this situation, are you gonna pay for a jet ski everytime? The russians dont have much common sense, but they are sure are good swimmers, Ive seen this scenario a few times and they all return to shore eventually (the drownings are usually pissed up people or those that cant swim). As someone said there no visible signs of distress, dont worry and leave to the high and mighty on this forum to start their own lifeguard system out of their own pocket, presumably that where they are heading? or is it all talk?

'The russians dont have much common sense,' Is this not classed as 'Russian Bashing' ??

Crusty: I offered to purchase a few of those lifesavers w/rope, but my buddies rightly said that you couldn't leave them on the beach as they would be for sale in Somchai's shop the next day. Nobody I know wants to haul them back and forth each day, either.

One curious thing about near drownings that you might not think about is that farangs usually are alone or with one friend when they get into trouble; however, Thais typically go out in packs. So, this device wouldn't be helpful when rescuing several people. That is why a raft with straps is more effective. Imagine for a moment struggling against a strong undertow while getting pummeled by 2m waves. Now add several frantic people trying to climb on top of your head. Once you reach the victims you better have something stable for everybody to stay afloat on or you will just be another victim. I have seen entire families of five or more people drowning at the same time. Thais go out in the water up to their waist and then get caught in the undertow. The majority of them don't know how to swim so they just waive their arms(80% of the rescues in the last five years on Chaweng Beach were Thai groups of three or more within 100m of shore). The farangs usually can swim, but just get tired trying to fight the current instead of swimming parallel to the beach.

Any lifesaving device is better than nothing and saving one life is better than none, but I recommend that you don't go out and attempt to rescue anyone without the proper equipment. Scream for help, try to get a jetski, or look for someone with a large raft. If you are on our stretch of Chaweng Beach, don't worry, because Chawengwatch has got you covered.

Edited by parallaxtech

Crusty: I offered to purchase a few of those lifesavers w/rope, but my buddies rightly said that you couldn't leave them on the beach as they would be for sale in Somchai's shop the next day. Nobody I know wants to haul them back and forth each day, either.

One curious thing about near drownings that you might not think about is that farangs usually are alone or with one friend when they get into trouble; however, Thais typically go out in packs. So, this device wouldn't be helpful when rescuing several people. That is why a raft with straps is more effective. Imagine for a moment struggling against a strong undertow while getting pummeled by 2m waves. Now add several frantic people trying to climb on top of your head. Once you reach the victims you better have something stable for everybody to stay afloat on or you will just be another victim. I have seen entire families of five or more people drowning at the same time. Thais go out in the water up to their waist and then get caught in the undertow. The majority of them don't know how to swim so they just waive their arms(80% of the rescues in the last five years on Chaweng Beach were Thai groups of three or more within 100m of shore). The farangs usually can swim, but just get tired trying to fight the current instead of swimming parallel to the beach.

Any lifesaving device is better than nothing and saving one life is better than none, but I recommend that you don't go out and attempt to rescue anyone without the proper equipment. Scream for help, try to get a jetski, or look for someone with a large raft. If you are on our stretch of Chaweng Beach, don't worry, because Chawengwatch has got you covered.

would a whistle rond th swimmewr neck be any help. though i doubt people would use them if they were. jusyt like people wear helmets on motorbikes.

could u use a car wrench and park it on the beach ?

The tubes are very portable and are taken in and stored at the resort each night. So far we have sold them to Poppies and Chawengburi Resorts and have one left. As you say a family would need a surf ski with straps to hang on (Centara has one) but yes a jet ski is the only way to get to them fast. I have seen the Chaweng boys save many and just need to raise the alarm and they do not expect payment.

Now steady on there mayor. :blink:

You can't be telling people that the jetski guys save people and assist in resues without wanting paying. :o

Everybody knows that ALL jetski guys in Thailand are hardened Mafioso's that wouldn't help anybody and if they did they would then accuse the guy they rescued of damaging the jetski in the process and demand 50,000 baht to repair the thing. ;)

Five years ago it was only farangs going out and rescuing people. When the jetski gang saw that 80% of the victims were Thais they began helping. It is very dangerous at times because you have rescuers with a raft and then here comes two jetskis roaring in at 60km/hr. Sometimes you have to deal with the devil to save a life. All our little group cares about is that nobody dies while we are there so anyone who can help is welcome. No money is involved. You might get a "thank you" if you are lucky. Most victims panic only after they have exhausted all their options so that means you only have seconds left to notice and get to them. The group has binoculars and is by now quite instinctive in knowing who is in trouble. One guy goes to the victim while another, if necessary, runs over to the jetski don. After hundreds of rescues this is all quite automatic. The Centara is a different area so I don't know how they coordinate their efforts. My point is that if you are not watching the water or in the water at the time of the incident, it might be too late to help. During rough days we have one guy with a raft usually already in the water most of the time.

Five years ago it was only farangs going out and rescuing people. When the jetski gang saw that 80% of the victims were Thais they began helping. It is very dangerous at times because you have rescuers with a raft and then here comes two jetskis roaring in at 60km/hr. Sometimes you have to deal with the devil to save a life. All our little group cares about is that nobody dies while we are there so anyone who can help is welcome. No money is involved. You might get a "thank you" if you are lucky. Most victims panic only after they have exhausted all their options so that means you only have seconds left to notice and get to them. The group has binoculars and is by now quite instinctive in knowing who is in trouble. One guy goes to the victim while another, if necessary, runs over to the jetski don. After hundreds of rescues this is all quite automatic. The Centara is a different area so I don't know how they coordinate their efforts. My point is that if you are not watching the water or in the water at the time of the incident, it might be too late to help. During rough days we have one guy with a raft usually already in the water most of the time.

the only time they go after someone to save them is if there are in debt to them.

why didn't the forum master tell the jet ske people that he is that man that ran away a few days ago and owes them 40 k. they would have been there quicker than a 45 mm

You can't be telling people that the jetski guys save people and assist in resues without wanting paying. :o

Everybody knows that ALL jetski guys in Thailand are hardened Mafioso's that wouldn't help anybody and if they did they would then accuse the guy they rescued of damaging the jetski in the process and demand 50,000 baht to repair the thing. ;)

No no, you couldn't be more wrong ! That's why I don't knock them anymore, over the years I've seen the Chaweng boys go out and drag many swimmers in and even call to have an ambulance standing by for the rescuers return.. On a big surf day with no chance of rentals, they always leave a couple of jetskis on standby just for this. Captain Narin and his boys deserve more and they are concious they share the beach !

Just tired of expats knocking the Thais all the time. There is a lot of good volunteer work going on unseen unreported by the local expat do gooder clubs and Samui Channel :angry: Enough !

No no, you couldn't be more wrong ! That's why I don't knock them anymore, over the years I've seen the Chaweng boys go out and drag many swimmers in and even call to have an ambulance standing by for the rescuers return.. On a big surf day with no chance of rentals, they always leave a couple of jetskis on standby just for this. Captain Narin and his boys deserve more and they are concious they share the beach !

Just tired of expats knocking the Thais all the time. There is a lot of good volunteer work going on unseen unreported by the local expat do gooder clubs and Samui Channel :angry: Enough !

yes understood the thais are what make thailand unique. it is the characters of the people which is the reason i live here and not malaysia or other surrounding tropical countries.

some thais are bad some are not. i think that the local people just want to be treated with respect but sometimes cultures clash. then mis understanding brakes out then forangs start shouting before they understand what is going on. then the thais just can;t be bothered and turn def ears. i find that the locals are not as much mafia as all the gangs that come from outside the island. i don't mean forangs i mean big thai gangs. the local sami people have a tough time protecting there island.

then look at the local papers and make your own minde up

WRT the OP... I think the OP most probably dwelled on what he did/could have done/didn't do already... and posted up because of an already guilty conscience... and a bit of a 'download'... I bet we have all done something that we spent a loooong time afterwards regretting, analysing, thinking about... At the time, he did what he thought was best, and since has been regretting not doing more... all power to him for bothering to post it up... personally, I would have probably offered the Jetski guys some cash to go and check, and I am sure the OP is thinking he should have been more insitent or proactive... but he did say that they seemed completely uninterested...

Still WRT the OP... I am a pretty crap swimmer... but my sister used to swim 8000m before school 4 days a week at 14... and a lot of guys at my surf lifesaving club regularly swim 15km... so maybe he realy was a good swimmer, intentionally swimming to the next beach...

WRT all of the life-saving tips, Those winches with the life belt are not used for life saving in Australia... they are only used for 'parade' at competitions where the competitors get points for marching while carrying the winch, and where one team member waits in the water and is 'rescued' in what is really just a glorified swimming race... 99% of all rescues on Australian beaches are done using either an RIB (rubber ducky) or a Jet Ski (most surf life saving clubs have a Jetski and Quad bike used to tow it to the water, donated by a local pub/drinking club/business)... 1% of resues are done using a 'surfboard' which isn't used for standup surfing but a two person board for paddleing on...

On a different note, my son (in Australia) is only 6 and already a member of our local Surf Lifesaving Club... every sunday in summer they get out on the beach, practice running races and swimming races and board paddling races... and compete sometimes against the other clubs... gradually they start volunteer to do beach patrol (I think they have to be 13)... Obviously, much of Australia has a much stronger beach culture than Thailand, but it such a positive thing for the kids, it would be great to see it really start in Thailand...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Every year this topic about drowning comes to be "talk of the ThaiVisa Samui" So many members talking and witness around all those X00 or X000 person each week?? or month?? falling victim for the huge monsterwaves that constantly pounding the samui beaches or the monstrous tidalcurrents and ripcurrents.I must admitt that im not one of you guys :rolleyes:

I know for sure that a very few numbers of people drown each year on samui and actually this formum use to have their own thread about the victim-Right?

Just becouse someone step on a shell,get touched by fishes or boyfriends hand :whistling: and make a surprise yell in the water should not be accounted for in this statistic survey from tv members :whistling:

Btw: Everybody wants to be heroes and i have not a singel doubt that he might have a waveriding machine between his(sorry girls) legs and be a bit darker than you :jap:

Mr Lamai

WRT the OP... I think the OP most probably dwelled on what he did/could have done/didn't do already... and posted up because of an already guilty conscience... and a bit of a 'download'... I bet we have all done something that we spent a loooong time afterwards regretting, analysing, thinking about... At the time, he did what he thought was best, and since has been regretting not doing more... all power to him for bothering to post it up... personally, I would have probably offered the Jetski guys some cash to go and check, and I am sure the OP is thinking he should have been more insitent or proactive... but he did say that they seemed completely uninterested...

Still WRT the OP... I am a pretty crap swimmer... but my sister used to swim 8000m before school 4 days a week at 14... and a lot of guys at my surf lifesaving club regularly swim 15km... so maybe he realy was a good swimmer, intentionally swimming to the next beach...

WRT all of the life-saving tips, Those winches with the life belt are not used for life saving in Australia... they are only used for 'parade' at competitions where the competitors get points for marching while carrying the winch, and where one team member waits in the water and is 'rescued' in what is really just a glorified swimming race... 99% of all rescues on Australian beaches are done using either an RIB (rubber ducky) or a Jet Ski (most surf life saving clubs have a Jetski and Quad bike used to tow it to the water, donated by a local pub/drinking club/business)... 1% of resues are done using a 'surfboard' which isn't used for standup surfing but a two person board for paddleing on...

On a different note, my son (in Australia) is only 6 and already a member of our local Surf Lifesaving Club... every sunday in summer they get out on the beach, practice running races and swimming races and board paddling races... and compete sometimes against the other clubs... gradually they start volunteer to do beach patrol (I think they have to be 13)... Obviously, much of Australia has a much stronger beach culture than Thailand, but it such a positive thing for the kids, it would be great to see it really start in Thailand...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I am not talking about a winch, we use 200 m. of light ski rope on a light reel and there have always been people on the beach willing to help pull you in. I am surprised you are not familiar with the yellow "tubes", they are part of the kit for every lifesavers station and mostly used by a lifesaver free swimming to help support the patient until the rubber ducky or jetski can get to them

I am not talking about a winch, we use 200 m. of light ski rope on a light reel and there have always been people on the beach willing to help pull you in. I am surprised you are not familiar with the yellow "tubes", they are part of the kit for every lifesavers station and mostly used by a lifesaver free swimming to help support the patient until the rubber ducky or jetski can get to them

I know the 'winch' you mean (I was using the terminology from a previous post)... and maintain they definately are not used on Sydney beaches... only ever come out for competition...

They do have the yellow foam tubes out, usually tied to the poles for the flags, but also never used down here... They also usually have a few paddle boards strategically placed along the beach... but almost all rescues are by jet ski or RIB, probably 'cause the rubber duckies are usually circling/training (read hooning :D) whilever the beach is patrolled...

I guess the other big difference is the typical size of the waves in Aus and (I only know Phuket and Krabi) Thai beaches... 90% of the time, you wouldn't get a 'mat' or 'raft' past our breakers...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Every year this topic about drowning comes to be "talk of the ThaiVisa Samui" So many members talking and witness around all those X00 or X000 person each week?? or month?? falling victim for the huge monsterwaves that constantly pounding the samui beaches or the monstrous tidalcurrents and ripcurrents.I must admitt that im not one of you guys :rolleyes:

I know for sure that a very few numbers of people drown each year on samui and actually this formum use to have their own thread about the victim-Right?

Just becouse someone step on a shell,get touched by fishes or boyfriends hand :whistling: and make a surprise yell in the water should not be accounted for in this statistic survey from tv members :whistling:

Btw: Everybody wants to be heroes and i have not a singel doubt that he might have a waveriding machine between his(sorry girls) legs and be a bit darker than you :jap:

Mr Lamai

So you know for sure huh ? You were probably not here in '99 when a police general lost his two daughters, the Thai vendor whose two kids were swept away, the two teenage drunks that drowned and the two tourists that drowned one in front of Centara and the other off Poppies, all in the one season at Chaeng! You sound like a "know it all" !:angry:

Edited by crusty

I agree with Crusty. Unless you are on the Chaweng Beach almost every day during the rough weather, you have no idea what you are talking about. Several people drown each season. If you are not there you are not aware of the ones that were rescued. It is not on the news or in the newspapers. Our little group would be more than happy to go back to reading, sleeping, and drooling over the women if they had a lifeguard nearby, but they don't and probably never will.

Also, Crusty is correct, Capt Narin, who I have known for years, does send his boys out to rescue. I can remember one rescue where we couldn't get the raft out through the waves and this French guy was about 1/2 km out, we yelled for the waverunner and they got him. As I said we coordinate our efforts with them usually when a group is drowning.

On the other hand I wouldn't rent a jetski from them!

Mr Lamai

So you know for sure huh ? You were probably not here in '99 when a police general lost his two daughters, the Thai vendor whose two kids were swept away, the two teenage drunks that drowned and the two tourists that drowned one in front of Centara and the other off Poppies, all in the one season at Chaeng! You sound like a "know it all" !:angry:

I drank probably the best beer in the world already 1992 here on Lamai beach.Not sure if you read the posts but i wrote that a few nr of ppl drown each year :blink: Samui is absolutely no dangerous place for swim and i do include people who have never been closer to open water than a bathtub.320 days a year its flatwater and basicly no tide.Shallow water on chaweng do the rest B)

Mr Lamai

Mr Lamai

I drank probably the best beer in the world already 1992 here on Lamai beach.Not sure if you read the posts but i wrote that a few nr of ppl drown each year :blink: Samui is absolutely no dangerous place for swim and i do include people who have never been closer to open water than a bathtub.320 days a year its flatwater and basicly no tide.Shallow water on chaweng do the rest B)

Mr Lamai

I thought Trolls were not tolerated :huh:

Mr Lamai

Mr Lamai

I thought Trolls were not tolerated :huh:

Well your trolling have been noticed(Not since 1999 ;) ;) ) by me and others. Some take their time to comment all frogs coming out of a few big mouths here.

I dont...

I agree with Crusty. Unless you are on the Chaweng Beach almost every day during the rough weather, you have no idea what you are talking about. Several people drown each season. If you are not there you are not aware of the ones that were rescued. It is not on the news or in the newspapers. Our little group would be more than happy to go back to reading, sleeping, and drooling over the women if they had a lifeguard nearby, but they don't and probably never will.

Also, Crusty is correct, Capt Narin, who I have known for years, does send his boys out to rescue. I can remember one rescue where we couldn't get the raft out through the waves and this French guy was about 1/2 km out, we yelled for the waverunner and they got him. As I said we coordinate our efforts with them usually when a group is drowning.

On the other hand I wouldn't rent a jetski from them!

both of u have valid points. unless this suposide drowning was recorded. then it is just a rumer.

Yes Crusty u r right about the strong under currents and about the other people that drowned but they were recorded.

this case with this forum is as broken down in a blunt form. " i think someone might have drowned because i sore him swim out and did not bother to wait for either him to swim back or try to help other than ask the local mafia and some waitress."

Sorry not sterio typing jet ski people as mafia but it is not there duty to rescue people. yes it would have been nice of them to go and have a look but it is not there job and they don;t exactly have a rep of being nice.

the person could have tried the tourist police. phone 1155 or waited to see if he swim back. instead this person just left and seemed to blame everyone else.

pointless topic. haven't herd of anyone reported missing. So all this is. is a 3 page rumer page. ........carry on ...........

Mr Lamai

Mr Lamai

:blink: Obviously Mr Lamai gets mixed up, often getting Saturn confused with Samui. I invite him to come to Chaweng now and swim 100 m. offshore and return. With 2 m. breakers and a 3 knot current there is no one on the beach and even the jet skis front of Chaweng Resort cannot get out and are being trailered home by a tractor along what little beach is left.

yep it is a well known fact that Novenber is not the month to swimm in the otherwise calm water of lamai and December is the month for chewang; the waves were rolling in back to back this morning, i was waiting to see some surf boards the tubes so almost big enough. Every season is see tourist being saved by hotel staff at centara of course there is no record of these near drownings but they are common.