Banned - Airmail Parcels Over 430 Grams To The Usa

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One pound would appear to be considered safe under current conditions of placement of mail to limit damage (not take plane down with loss of life from that).

One pound of gunpowder has 7000 grains

An average 45ACP caliber shell needs 5 grains to propel a 200grain bullet 700fps depending on burn rate

So imagine 1400 45ACP bullets going boom at once.

I do not consider one pound a safe amount & I doubt they do either.

The whole story is odd at best.

What is it all about? The supposed bombs mailed from Yemen of all places?

The printer cartridges with wires sticking out & white powder leaking?

The only way they could have made a more obvious flag is to tell us they intercepted packages mailed from a cave in Afghanistan &

Osama's name was on it as a return address.

Timing wise it is at a time when the people of America are complaining very loudly about the loss of their rights & the invasion of privacy with things like the TSA

Edited by flying

whats with the date of Dec 8th??

On December the 8th,1660, Margaret Hughes becomes the first actress to appear on an English public stage, playing the role of Desdemona in a production of Shakespeare's play Othello.

Clearly the CIA have determined that the fundamentalist provisional wing of Equity will be especially active in the period leading up to this anniversary.

I realize this topic started off as a simple discussion on how one can mail packages to USA and not a political manifesto, but just what rights have been lost as regards being able to board an airplane in the manner that YOU deem fit ... good thing they don't profile conspiratorial wackos

For those of us with export businesses it's been tough - every year for the last 3 or 4 years there have been major obstacles thrown up. Be it Red shirts,Yellow shirts the rise and rise of the Thai Baht,World recession and now this.

To all those in similar positions to us it's good to remember that if you've got this far then this is just another issue to deal with, another obstacle thrown in the way,another stick wacked through the spokes of our wheels just as we had got back on the bike and started to ride again.

Keep resilient,innovative and profitable,downsize or whatever it takes.Hats off to ALL business owners (not just exporters) and remember that the personal qualities that enabled you to choose the route without the safety net will see you through.

I realize this topic started off as a simple discussion on how one can mail packages to USA and not a political manifesto, but just what rights have been lost as regards being able to board an airplane in the manner that YOU deem fit ... good thing they don't profile conspiratorial wackos

hahahaha - to disguise your ignorance on the issue you parrot mainstream media by calling out "conspiratorial wackos" - real helpful

Just yet another knee jerk reaction timed to keep us all scared when finally people are getting pissy and rebelling. This has nothing to do with the safety of passengers and all about control. If as we are forever being told Al Queda are at war with us and want to inflict death and destruction on us filthy infidels then why would they bother with aircraft ? :o

Any right minded terrorist would have given up on those years ago. No, they would simply use the same tactics that has brought Iraq and Afghanistan to its knees. Shopping malls, cinemas, sports stadiums etc would be far easier to hit and inflict more casualties and terror than a plane.

The very fact they have not done so tells me that there is no terrorist organisation intent n war with the West but rather a group of individuals in the West that seek to control the population and nothing more.

The trouble is there are too many people like Jazzbo :sorry:

that just accept that anybody pointing out simple, basic facts are conspiracy whackos.

The other simple plain fact that seems to have been missed y all the media is that the TSA has not stopped a single attempt to board a plane since its inception yet we have had several so called attempted bomb attacks :o

Also can any of the people who think these checks are a good thing explain to me why they make the pilots go through this nonsense ? If the pilot wanted to take down the plane he would need nothing apart from himself at the controls to do so yet they still insist they go through the scanners. <deleted>!!!!!

Call me a conspiracy whacko if you want it is just tha fact that Governments have a history of lying to the people and I for one do not believe everything they tell me as given.

You might. Sadly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call me a conspiracy wacko if you want etc. etc. OK -- you're a conspiracy wacko one of whose main symptoms is a pathological need to think they are smarter than every one else whether it all the former military / intelligence people who run TSA or the Federal Reserve or whatever especially when you have a non-moderated venue like this upon which to wax --

but be comforted that on this web forum you are certainly not alone ...

^ Thai Visa is non-moderated??? :huh: Who knew? and who's been deleting my posts then?? Anyway I believe the somewhat arbitrary date is to allow any potential previously planned following threats to be uncovered just like when they grounded ALL air traffic over the States on 911..

A 'moderated' forum is one where your post is not put online until a 'moderator' has reviewed it and deemed it suitable for publication by the website's standards -- not like the guys and a few non-guys on ThaiVisa who go in and clean up and/or delete your post after they have been put online ...

There are many venues like The New York Times, The Washington Post, Foreign Affairs, etc. that would be pleased to publish your comments following moderation even if highly critical of National Security or Federal Monetary policy -- but you might have a problem unless you can write without using words like 'idiot' or 'moron' and sorry no emoticons will be allowed.

You might scoff at such venues as bastions of useless 'mainstream media' but if you write a good post there is always the possibility that someone who has some real responsibility in the issue might read it ... but I guess you guys who really know what's what and haven't had any wool (or silk) pulled over THEIR eyes are more comfortable just putting here with George and the gang.

The trouble is there are too many people like Jazzbo and probably not enough true patriots like yourself. Cue the Mighty Mouse music:

Here I Come To Save The D-A-A-A-Y

Edited by jazzbo

For those of us with export businesses it's been tough - every year for the last 3 or 4 years there have been major obstacles thrown up. Be it Red shirts,Yellow shirts the rise and rise of the Thai Baht,World recession and now this.

To all those in similar positions to us it's good to remember that if you've got this far then this is just another issue to deal with, another obstacle thrown in the way,another stick wacked through the spokes of our wheels just as we had got back on the bike and started to ride again.

Keep resilient,innovative and profitable,downsize or whatever it takes.Hats off to ALL business owners (not just exporters) and remember that the personal qualities that enabled you to choose the route without the safety net will see you through.

Your words have cheered me up - thank you.

Call me a conspiracy wacko if you want etc. etc. OK -- you're a conspiracy wacko one of whose main symptoms is a pathological need to think they are smarter than every one else whether it all the former military / intelligence people who run TSA or the Federal Reserve or whatever especially when you have a non-moderated venue like this upon which to wax --

but be comforted that on this web forum you are certainly not alone ...

You mean guys like Michael Chertoff, the former head of the Homeland Security Agency from February of 2005, to January of 2009 - that formed an outfit called The Chertoff Groupand then Rapiscan Systems (which makes the airport body scanners) becomes his biggest client

Airport Scanners are 150K a pop - what do you think he gets for commission?

So the guy on all the media stations praising the importance of these machines is also a paid spokesperson - you mean guys like that

Edited by PlanetX

FWIW the Thailand Post again accepted several large heavy boxes I sent to the US via SAL Air Mail today... The boxes are post marked today, but who knows, perhaps they will sit in Thailand until December 8th? :unsure:

Odd that I can't find more about this alleged air mail restriction in the news. There's not even a mention of it on the USPS.com site. This is the ONLY international mail restriction I can find on the USPS.com site:

International Mail Service

Yemen

The U.S. Postal Service has temporarily suspended acceptance of inbound international mail originating in Yemen, and continues to monitor the situation as part of its mission to protect the Postal Service, its employees and its customers. The Postal Service is prepared to make further adjustments to its international mail transportation network based on the recommendations of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and other federal law enforcement agencies.

Understand some members here have been told they could not mail to packages to the US. Is it possible that some post offices that might be making a mistake?

If the restriction is real it should be BIG NEWS...

Can't find anything about this alleged air mail restriction on the Transportation Security Administration (http://www.tsa.gov) web site either...

I ship quite a few packages from Thailand to the US via Thailand Post Air Mail. IF this restriction is real it's going to be a major challenge as the private couriers are all more expensive.

So far the ONLY news I can find regarding this alleged air mail restriction is that article from the Japan Times by MINORU MATSUTANI.

Here's an article dated November 9th by Jeff Berman that goes into a fair bit of detail regarding procedures already in place for screening air mail. The article makes no mention of any new restrictions:

...the United States Transportation Security Administration has directed air cargo carriers to begin implementing additional precautionary security measures for international flights inbound to the United States, effective this week. These measures include banning all air cargo from Yemen, as well as Somalia, along with no high-risk cargo to be allowed in passenger aircraft. They also include prohibiting toner and ink cartridges weighing more than 16 ounces on passenger aircraft in both carry-on bags and checked bags on U.S.-bound domestic and international flights. Napolitano said that this ban will also apply to certain inbound international air cargo shipments.

“[A]ll cargo identified as high risk will go through additional and enhanced screening,” said Napolitano. “These measures also impact inbound international mail packages, which must be screened individually and certified to have come from an established postal shipper. The Administration is also working closely with industry and our international partners to expedite the receipt of cargo manifests for international flights to the United States prior to departure in order to identify and screen items based on risk and current intelligence. We are also working with our international and private sector partners on the expansion of layered detections system including technology and other measures.”

While steps are being taken to prevent another situation from occurring, it does not change the fact that when it comes to air cargo security, there are still numerous gaps.

“It would be good to screen all cargo/parcels going onto all cargo aircraft for

explosives to protect those aircraft and crew from potential harm and

anyone on the ground that could potentially be harmed by a plane coming

down), and it would be wise to screen all air cargo/parcels coming into the

USA from a foreign airport,” said Albert Saphir, principal of ABS Consulting in Weston Fla. “I do not believe we need new policies or laws, just common sense and the

will of the U.S. Government and private industry to make it work.”

While enhanced air cargo screening measures will add costs to the system, Saphir said it would be manageable, as evidenced by the U.S. domestic/export screening mandate for cargo going on to passenger aircraft. This was a major component of H.R. 1, Implementing the 9/11 Commission Recommendations Act of 2007, which required the Secretary of Homeland Security to establish a system to screen 100 percent of cargo transported on passenger aircraft commensurate with the level of security used for unchecked baggage.

This measure, which went live on August 1, requires all air cargo to be screened at the piece level prior to transport on a passenger aircraft for flights originating in the United States, according to the Department of Homeland Security’s Transportation Security Administration. Included in this endeavor is TSA’s Certified Cargo Screening Program (CCSP), which enables Indirect Air Carriers (IAC’s), shippers, and Independent Cargo Screening Facilities (ICSF’s) to screen cargo for flights originating in the U.S. According to TSA, most shippers involved in CCSP have readily incorporated physical search into their packing/shipping operation at minimal cost without needing to invest in screening equipment.

Saphir said that screening for all cargo flights on the U.S. domestic/export freighter side should be fairly easy to implement as long as the suitable screening technology (Explosive Trace Detection) is available.

On the import side, though, he said all that can be done or mandated is for the airlines to screen cargo 100 percent prior to departure.

“It would be the airlines purchasing and installing the equipment at their foreign stations/U.S. departure points to screen U.S.-bound cargoes,” said Saphir. “Cost increases would be similar again to what we have seen here in the U.S., not a huge issue. The major difference would be that is will need to be an airline managed process. I simply see no quick method where the CCSP program idea could be copied over to foreign

countries…in other words, like having U.S. TSA managing forwarders and certified shippers in Germany for example.”

Last week, Massachusetts Representative Edward J. Markey (D) said he plans to introduce legislation requiring 100 percent screening of all cargo on cargo planes.

No ... I mean conspiracy nut cases like you who can take a discussion about mailing packages for Christmas and turn into who was or wasn't killed at Tora Bora and obviously the Yemen toner cartidge deal was a set-up... and maybe if enough of you wackos refuse the scanner I will have an empty seat next to me next trip.

CAN send packiges over 430 grams, with a little trick :))

i was recently notified at the post office they also showed me the official documents from the main post office, where they explain also illustrated with pictures how to send packiges what over 430grams to USA

its simple, they only require that you write down on the packige your business name/company name, and add your signature to the packige as well, they say if u do like this you can send any packiges what is over 430g

(this all is quiet weird, becouse u dont have to show any company documents, so i guess u can send packiges freely just have to add a company name...hmm... make not so much sense)

CAN send packiges over 430 grams, with a little trick :))

i was recently notified at the post office they also showed me the official documents from the main post office, where they explain also illustrated with pictures how to send packiges what over 430grams to USA

its simple, they only require that you write down on the packige your business name/company name, and add your signature to the packige as well, they say if u do like this you can send any packiges what is over 430g

(this all is quiet weird, becouse u dont have to show any company documents, so i guess u can send packiges freely just have to add a company name...hmm... make not so much sense)

Aha! Mystery solved?

Guess I didn't have a problem with the Thailand Post since I have a business account with them and my company name and address are stamped on every shipping box.

What a relief- had me worried there for a moment!

Happy Holidays!

Tony

I visited two POs today. Nong Hoi and CM Airport. They both gave me the same answer... If you are a government organization or a registered NGO, you can ship parcels by air. A business can not. My packages have the business name printed on them, I am well known at the PO, and I was willing to sign whatever. No such luck. :(

Edited by wimpy

I think Thailand is acting as the puppet on a US string....

I have checked with the Hng Kong Post Office and there are NO special steps for packages above 1 pound/453 grams and there are hundreds of thousands of packages going through HK every month. (the Shenzhen/China area, including other cities in Guangdong Province ship most of their packages via the HK route via forwarding agents in Guangzhou r Shenzhen).

Next to that I checked with China Post on the mainland, even much larger than HK Post and there are no special banning steps for the same. China Post is shipping even faster now than HK Post.

LaoPo

I visited two POs today. Nong Hoi and CM Airport. They both gave me the same answer... If you are a government organization or a registered NGO, you can ship parcels by air. A business can not. My packages have the business name printed on them, I am well known at the PO, and I was willing to sign whatever. No such luck. :(

Sorry to say wimpy but you are being misinformed. Recommend you contact someone higher up that chain at Thailand Post to get it sorted. Try this number for the head office: 0-2831-3131

Sorry to say wimpy but you are being misinformed. Recommend you contact someone higher up that chain at Thailand Post to get it sorted. Try this number for the head office: 0-2831-3131

Have you successfully sent any airmail packages or just SAL?

Parcels banned from sending???? SMH. What a place. Amusing - not really - Thailand. And to top it off you might be able to send parcels w/out weight restrictions from another Thai postal location. This place seems to be more and more bizarre. Actually I'd be afraid to send anything valuable thru Thai postal services considering how things are here.

Parcels banned from sending???? SMH. What a place. Amusing - not really - Thailand. And to top it off you might be able to send parcels w/out weight restrictions from another Thai postal location. This place seems to be more and more bizarre. Actually I'd be afraid to send anything valuable thru Thai postal services considering how things are here.

It has nothing to do with Thailand. It is a directive from the USA. If you go into any Thai Post office they can show you the directive. It lists about 20 countries that are currently not allowed to ship airmail over one pound to the USA.

Have you successfully sent any airmail packages or just SAL?

I've sent SAL Air Mail packages, Small Packet Air Mail and EMS packages to the US in the last few days without any problems. Queried the folks at my post office yesterday regarding any restrictions and they showed me the directive, but it's written in Thai which I can't read... :whistling:

"considering how things are"... Do you know how things are?

FWIW I've been using Thailand Post to ship about 90% of my orders over the past 5 years and have found them to be very reliable and less expensive than private couriers.

When I started my business I was worried about shipping via Thailand Post, but over the last five years I've been please to discover that the Thailand Post is more reliable than the USPS in America or the LaPoste in France.

Cheers!

Tony

It has nothing to do with Thailand. It is a directive from the USA. If you go into any Thai Post office they can show you the directive. It lists about 20 countries that are currently not allowed to ship airmail over one pound to the USA.

Do you know which countries are on this list ?

LaoPo