Renewing My Uk Passport During A Trip Back To The Uk

Rather than submitting a passport renewal application to Hong Kong (or even visiting Hong Kong in person for this purpose as per the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/419049-new-passport-from-hong-kong/), I am seriously considering the possibility of renewing my passport (when this eventually becomes due) during a visit to the UK. According to the UK Government website at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/index.htm fast-track processing services of as short as a single day exist in the UK, which certainly seems a major plus over Hong Kong.

I do, however, have some concerns about the implications of renewing my passport in the UK for my subsequent re-entry into Thailand. Assuming that this took place within the lifetime of my latest annual extension of stay for retirement purposes as stamped in the old passport:-

(1) Would the new passport still be stamped in at BKK up to the expiry date of the existing extension of stay? Or would it only be stamped in for the standard 30 days?

(2) Would the old passport still need to include a valid unused re-entry permit, regardless of the date to be stamped in the new one?

(3) In the event of my old passport including an unused single re-entry permit but my new one being only stamped in for 30 days, would it be possible for me to get this permit transferred to the new passport (along with the extension of stay) for use on a further foreign trip within its lifetime? Or would it be cancelled at BKK regardless?

Grateful to hear from 1 of the TV experts (e.g. lopburi3, Lite Beer, Maestro, Mario2008) as well as from any fellow Brits who have recently renewed their passports during a trip back to the UK.

Whilst not an expert, a colleague made arrangements to add a loop on his European business trip specifically to avoid these timing issues. He flew into London, and had an appointment, which he booked prior, at the IPS office there under the one day premium service and had his new 'jumbo' 48 page passport in @ 5 hours, flying out next day to Switzerland and thence back to SE Asia. The fee was @ 150 GBP IIRC.

It was expensive after adding in flights, hotel accommodation etc. [though claimable as a business expense against tax], but was worth it from a peace of mind perspective. Once everything reverts to UK processing, assuming I'm not out of pages before then [i've never expired, only filled my passports] I'd look at this alternative myself.

Regards

PS Just to add, if you are planning on returning to the UK, the one day or one week services are available at the various passport offices in the UK, not just London.

Edited by A_Traveller

Whilst not an expert, a colleague made arrangements to add a loop on his European business trip specifically to avoid these timing issues. He flew into London, and had an appointment, which he booked prior, at the IPS office there under the one day premium service and had his new 'jumbo' 48 page passport in @ 5 hours, flying out next day to Switzerland and thence back to SE Asia. The fee was @ 150 GBP IIRC.

It was expensive after adding in flights, hotel accommodation etc. [though claimable as a business expense against tax], but was worth it from a peace of mind perspective. Once everything reverts to UK processing, assuming I'm not out of pages before then [i've never expired, only filled my passports] I'd look at this alternative myself.

Regards

PS Just to add, if you are planning on returning to the UK, the one day or one week services are available at the various passport offices in the UK, not just London.

Why 'peace of mind'--- In the end you send a copy of your passport to Hong Kong with the additional requirements and they send you a new passport back. In about 10 days .Easy I would say.

Why 'peace of mind'--- In the end you send a copy of your passport to Hong Kong with the additional requirements and they send you a new passport back. In about 10 days .Easy I would say.

You were, indeed, fortunate if you received your new passport from the HK RPPC within c.10 days of sending your application to them, bearing in mind that their standard turnaround time for renewals is 4 weeks (http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/renewals). And the OP of the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/408363-british-passport-renewal/ had to wait 6 weeks for his new passport. Hardly easy and peaceful of mind in his case (as borne out by his posts), I would say!

1. Yes - re-entry extension of stay date.

In the event of the BKK immigration officer mistakenly stamping my new passport for only 30 days, would it be worth my while seeking to get the date corrected there and then? Or would it be OK for me to visit my local immigration office within the 30 days and get the extension of stay and visa information transferred from the old to the new passport? Would the extension of stay date then supersede the 30-day one?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/index.htm

i renewed my passport recently on my return to u.k.

using the above link i phoned the number to make an appointment at the victoria, london office. you can only book an appointment 14 days or less before you plan to present yourself. they prefer you to phone using skype. i had great difficulty getting through on my thai mobile.

they will ask you a few questions, have a contact phone no. ready and if you still have one a u.k address. (they sent an application form to my address with a booklet explaining how to fill the form out, read it, it helps)

oddly enough they did not ask for my present passport number.

you can also get these forms at bigger post offices.

they will then give you an appointment time and a refence number.

you will only be let into the building ten minutes before your appointment and go through a security check and then given a numbered ticket and wait to be called to the counter.

your form will be examined and if all is o.k given a collection receipt for exactly four hours later. you then pay the cashier. 138.50 gbp for a jumbo passport.

i also had a few months to run on my existing passport, and they gave me an extra six months on my new one.

there is a photo booth at the victoria office (dont know about the others) which gives you the proper passport photos they require. 5gbp for six if i remember rightly, have change, 5x1pound coins.

the staff from the initial phone call to the final collection were all very friendly and helpful.

hope it all goes as smoothly for you as it did for me.

p.s dont go into the yuppie style cafe opposite the victoria office unless you dont mind paying 6.50 for a bacon sarnie and a coffee.

In the event of the BKK immigration officer mistakenly stamping my new passport for only 30 days, would it be worth my while seeking to get the date corrected there and then? Or would it be OK for me to visit my local immigration office within the 30 days and get the extension of stay and visa information transferred from the old to the new passport? Would the extension of stay date then supersede the 30-day one?

You need to enter the re-entry permit visa information and be sure the correct stamps are made unless they tell you to do something else.

Even in a worst case it is not a major problem starting a new retirement extension of stay as there is really no advantage to not having gaps in your stay. Not to worry too much. Your retired.

You need to enter the re-entry permit visa information and be sure the correct stamps are made unless they tell you to do something else.

Even in a worst case it is not a major problem starting a new retirement extension of stay as there is really no advantage to not having gaps in your stay. Not to worry too much. Your retired.

Thanks, Lop. Also thanks to A_Traveller for his helpful reply.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Jerry.

i phoned the number to make an appointment at the victoria, london office. you can only book an appointment 14 days or less before you plan to present yourself. they prefer you to phone using skype. i had great difficulty getting through on my thai mobile.

In the circumstances I'll probably call them for an appointment once in the UK. This would certainly prove cheaper and the connections should be more reliable!

(they sent an application form to my address with a booklet explaining how to fill the form out, read it, it helps)

Looks like it is also possible to request the application form online. If I did this say fortnight before my departure from Thailand, it should hopefully have arrived at the UK address where I'll be staying by the time I do which should then streamline the whole process somewhat.

p.s dont go into the yuppie style cafe opposite the victoria office unless you dont mind paying 6.50 for a bacon sarnie and a coffee.

I used to work in Victoria before my retirement and can vouch for the rip-off nature of most of the eateries in that part of the world. Still their target clientele are, of course, foreign tourists en route to or from Buck House to see the changing of the guard for most of whom £6.50 is peanuts given the depressed value of sterling rather than impoverished Brits. :(

Edited by OJAS