Are The Boys Rousting And Harassing

Gonzo the Face

I've had now about 4 different people tell me that the BiB are hasseling much more this year than in years past.

Openly selling illegal fireworks , I can understand, but different reports are coming in. I was just told about a family sitting on the riverbank with their own blanket and bucket of beer just watching the festivities and along came the BiB , who saw them take out a beer from the bucket and proceeded to confiscate the remainder of beer and told the family to go home. This happened in front of my place and was partly observed by my staff. Now I grant you the did not hear the conversation but saw the results. They did hear the mother mumbling as she went walking by.

I have been told of the crack down on beer on the walkway across the river from the US Consulate.

Are there some new rules in effect or is this just another way to improve business.

Lets hear if anyone else has heard of any unusual encounters.

G

On Friday evening close to the municipal building, parked on the river side, a family was selling a few lanterns and khrathong from the back of a pick up truck. I watched from close by as along came some security and police and they confiscated most of the lanterns although allowing them to load the khrathong back into the truck. As they were about to drive off the policeman who appeared to be in charged called the boy from the truck and gave them back the lanterns. Not at all necessary to hassle these people who appeared to be a family of man with 2 women and a boy. A simple 'move along' would have sufficed. Anyone setting off fireworks on the west side of the river was told to stop and I saw some confiscations.

It seems they are stopping dangerous or illegal practices rather than harassing and routing. On this occasion I can't see any reason for complaint

The BIB seem to be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

When I went down there Saturday, all along the river were signs stating alcohol free zone. The police were also had a strong presence and were quick to jump on anything that was louder than a pop with fireworks.

If they are doing their job why the fuss? Congratulations to the BIB.

It seems they are stopping dangerous or illegal practices rather than harassing and routing. On this occasion I can't see any reason for complaint

The BIB seem to be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

You can't see any reason for complaint because the confiscating part is not the end of it! If laws are "invented" or existing laws enforced in Thailand somebody usually profits from it otherwise they would not bother. What the police and security did this year was securing their "territory" eliminating most of the competition.

While a friend of mine called me that he was - like every year before selling beer and lanterns (Khom Loy) - he had all his stock confiscated only to witness that others in the same area - who seemed to be connected - where able to sell without problems. The nastiest part though we witnessed was the confiscation of fireworks from private citizens and street stalls - only to be handed over by the "authorities" to - most probably some relative - to sell them on at the stalls they have set up.

We witnessed about 20 or so of the "security" personnel all in uniform drinking at a shophouse on Ratanna Kosin Rd. just before the bridge - with an obscene amount of cans / bottles of beer and whisky (confiscated?)on the tables.So much for the alcohol free zone. Beneath the bridge in Faham I saw several stalls having there goods (alcohol & fireworks) confiscated while others where able to sell the same goods without problems.

I witnessed a group of students just before Taphae gate trying to send off a Khom when security intervened and told them to stop it - I listened and one of the students argued with them "what law they where breaking" - the security could not come up with an answer and radioed for help - nobody bothered to show up - and after a few minutes the students started to verbally insult the security people until they left.....they went on 20 meters away to stop a women with her two children who was also about to send of a Khom - she started shouting at the security if this country was now "one big prison or communist" but in this case and as she was alone they insisted she had to extinguish the flame and took the balloon from her..

Just 50 meters away people where setting of fireworks in full view of the police and security personnel without any problems (maybe they bought them from the "right" stalls. A little boy who seemed to be unsupervised threw for about 15 minutes deafening firecrackers into the crowd with people obviously jumping scared every time one of them went of - there where several policemen and security personnel only a few meters away. I just can not see the point of seeing a mothers lantern confiscated when thousands of them are lighting up the night sky - but a boy who should not even be out unsupervised at this time of the night would be allowed to throw firecrackers at people obviously terrified by the sudden deafening explosion.

Selling of all kinds of goods during Loy Krathong is a multimillion baht business - I am sure it is an enormous amount - what we witnessed in many cases was not law enforcement but to make sure the money went into the right pockets and the so much talked about "double standards" allowing some people to ignore laws, rules and regulations and reap the profits because they are in a position of authority.

Your Long story is full of of clearly stated conclusions based simply on observations. No real facts or anyone telling you anything. There were many possible scenarios for any of your stories. But I don't buy your conclusions.

Your Long story is full of of clearly stated conclusions based simply on observations. No real facts or anyone telling you anything. There were many possible scenarios for any of your stories. But I don't buy your conclusions.

so what would be your conclusion if a friend who walks beside you has a bag full of fireworks he just bought at a stall confiscated by 2 "market policemen" just 20 meters away from the stall where he bought them? One would think the police would close the stall or confiscate the items there if they are illegal - wouldn't one?

You are following the police and see them handing the bag together with other bundles of fireworks back to the very person who sold them you a few minutes earlier- what conclusion would one come up with then?

It is an obvious scam and a very profitable one.

so what would be your conclusion if a friend who walks beside you has a bag full of fireworks he just bought at a stall confiscated by 2 "market policemen" just 20 meters away from the stall where he bought them? One would think the police would close the stall or confiscate the items there if they are illegal - wouldn't one?

You are following the police and see them handing the bag together with other bundles of fireworks back to the very person who sold them you a few minutes earlier- what conclusion would one come up with then?

It is an obvious scam and a very profitable one.

But Cnx surely you realize that you will only be believed if you have video evidence along with a signed confession of all parties involved.

I saw the same inconsistencies all over the place. Police stepping in and seizing things kind of without rhyme or reason. A few times it was big rockets or homemade devices, but seemed to be alot of telling ppl they were in the wrong. That being said, this was the safest, and least bombs-rockets-all-around-my-head Loy Kratong I've experienced in 8 yrs here. So it's a mixed bag. I do feel sorry for any mom n pop operations just trying to make an honest baht though.....

I saw the same inconsistencies all over the place. Police stepping in and seizing things kind of without rhyme or reason. A few times it was big rockets or homemade devices, but seemed to be alot of telling ppl they were in the wrong. That being said, this was the safest, and least bombs-rockets-all-around-my-head Loy Kratong I've experienced in 8 yrs here. So it's a mixed bag. I do feel sorry for any mom n pop operations just trying to make an honest baht though.....

They could have referred to their reference manual for guidance........it fits in their pocket so no excuse.

Personally I am having a hard time believing they would confiscate fire works if all he was doing was carrying them.

I did not witness any thing like that but then again I was watching the show. I suppose if I had missed the show I would have seen some of those things happening. B)

All in all it was a pleasurable outing.