American Football

ChuckZ

Patsfangr, I'm just carrying the Sox/Pats paranoia with me for the long haul (even after 2004), it's our birthright! My feelings are pretty much along the lines of yours, just can't shake that Murphy's law feeling, even after 3 SB's and a World Series. Although you throw out some heavy optimism at the end, if Moss does fit in, they are going to be a ridiculously badass team, gotta be 13-16 wins. I better alot more NFL pub money, too cheap to get UBC, or just stick with the games on radio via WBCN live streaming, if it's still available this season.

I happily pay the 2000 baht per month for UBC's great NFL game access. When the Pats games aren't televised here, I listen via the NFL.com's radio subscription. That costs $29.95 per season. Well worth it for a dedicated Pats fan.

Have you been listening to WBCN on a FREE stream? If so, I didn't know that was available. What's the URL? Is it a smooth, uninterrupted transmission? What's your internet connection? I'm on a VERY slow download, with a 'TRUE' internet card phone connection. I can't get ADSL at my location. TT&T doesn't have a ###### transmitter in my area! If I had ADSL, I'd subscribe to the NFL.com video stream. It requires a minimum of 350kbps. I'm at an unbelievable 40kbps most of the time!!

get an ipstar 1024/512 Sat. connection no reason to jones over football. plus you'll have movies and TV and web sites and blog .....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would caution you that the presence of 55 pit bulls and a pry bar does not an organized dogfighting operation make. It's possible Vick and his house-sitting associates merely have 66 dogs around in the event they decide to enter a couple of sleds in the next Iditarod.

--Gene Collier, Pittsburgh-Post Gazette

hel_l, Michael Vick's pit bulls would eat the sleds. :o

get an ipstar 1024/512 Sat. connection no reason to jones over football. plus you'll have movies and TV and web sites and blog .....

Let's see how much of the above I understand. OK, I understand football, movies, TV, web sites and blog. Now for the really important question. Are you in Thailand and if so, with a satellite receiver can you receive live NFL games? If so, all the games?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to second this statement. I am a long suffering ubc/true sub and i am going to cancel in a few weeks - it is not worth the money. i am in the dark about satellite in bkk. where does one go to find this ipstar .....

http://www.csloxinfo.com/ipstar_e.asp

ok seems i found it. so it really is satellite inet service. i have hi speed (2meg+) now and i cannot ever get enough speed to watch any of the ga,es online, the 2mb is 'best effort' and the 300k or so that seems to be a minimum to watch streaming vid never seems to be available - at least with my provider (TOT)

is this system any different??

thanks

Let's see how much of the above I understand. OK, I understand football, movies, TV, web sites and blog. Now for the really important question. Are you in Thailand and if so, with a satellite receiver can you receive live NFL games? If so, all the games?

Thanks in advance.

Truevisions has done it! The opening game is on NOW on True Sport 3. Looks like the have, indeed, completed licensing agreements that will allow them to give us our 4-game per week "fix" of NFL games!

BRAVO! FOR TRUEVISIONS! (But somebody should tell them to drop that Mike Vick promo!) :-)

It did finally dawn on me why ESPN Star - Asia dropped the NFL broadcasts. I'll bet a months Social Security and pension checks that it's retaliation for the NFL (and my Pats) cancelling the game we were going to play in Beijing. It had been announced, and the NFL backed out because of major logistical problems with Beijing. The Chinese lost face. They are pissed off big time at the NFL, and this is retaliation, pure and simple!

My "Thank You" note to Truevisions is below. If you're an NFL fan, please take a couple of minutes to send them a note. I really think it's appropriate for us to flood them with appreciation for taking this action to get past the cheap shot we were hit with by ESPN Star. Since I'm a "one trick pony" for sports these days (ALL NFL, ALL THE TIME!), I will not be watching that Chinese run network at all.

Now, here's what I had to say to Truevisions:

"Gentlemen:

I wrote to you several days ago regarding the dropping of the American football (NFL) games from the broadcast schedule by ESPN Star. I, and several other American football fans that I know, called and wrote to you requesting that you take some action to restore the full schedule of 4 NFL games per week that you provided for us last year.

I am currently watching the opening game of the NFL season on True Sport 4. A press release in the Bangkok Post indicated that you have, in fact, secured licensing agreements to broadcast all of the games that were shown on ESPN Star last year on your True

Sport 3 and True Sport 4 channels. I, and all American football fans in Thailand, am very, very grateful for this decision and action by Truevisions!

The NFL is the most popular sport on American television. Many of us who have followed this sport all of our lives are very dedicated to it, and would really miss having access to 4 games per week. As you know, these games begin at the hours of midnight, 3 AM, and 6 or 7 AM. We are willing to lose a lot of sleep for our NFL! :-) That demonstrates for you how much we enjoy watching it. So, I must again state my gratitude to Truevisions for making arrangements to continue to bring us 4 NFL games each week. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Now, may offer some constructive advice? Your website is still not up to date with this change in your programming. Downloading the schedules, or using the schedule search tools, does not reveal the schedule for the NFL games that you are now going to broadcast. If you have staff available to do so, please try to update your website to show the full and correct schedule of NFL games; and ensure that a search using "NFL" as a keyword will link us to that schedule of games.

I hope that you will share my sincere "Thank you" message with your senior management. I would like them to be aware that their efforts on behalf of American football fans are very much appreciated. If your headquarters was here in Pattaya, I'd visit them, and thank them personally."

I would like to second this statement. I am a long suffering ubc/true sub and i am going to cancel in a few weeks - it is not worth the money. i am in the dark about satellite in bkk. where does one go to find this ipstar .....

http://www.csloxinfo.com/ipstar_e.asp

ok seems i found it. so it really is satellite inet service. i have hi speed (2meg+) now and i cannot ever get enough speed to watch any of the ga,es online, the 2mb is 'best effort' and the 300k or so that seems to be a minimum to watch streaming vid never seems to be available - at least with my provider (TOT)

is this system any different??

thanks

Thanks in advance.

I'm located in the Pattaya area, and I'm awaiting (hopefully, within the next 2 weeks or so) installation of a fiber optic cable connection by C.A.T. Telecom.

Since I don't have it in place yet, I can't swear to it's speed. However, based purely upon technology, I believe that it will be faster than the ADSL offered by TT&T/TOT. They do acknowledge, however, that the speed is dependent upon the number of users. So I don't expect USA speeds. I'm just hoping, and am optimistic, that it will be fast enough to receive a decent video stream of NFL games. You might want to contact C.A.T. Telecom, and see if they have a cable connection available in your area.

Egads! I wonder if Peyton was watching "The Tom and Randy Show" last night? Randy just jogged through three defenders to snatch a 60 yds. in the air lollipop from Brady. AFC championship (whether it's NE v Indy or NE v SD) is gonna be wild!

I can't speak to the viewing choices of the Colts, but I was certainly watching; and I'm positively giddy about the season that lies ahead for my Patriots! That "Tom and Randy Show" last night will now force every opposing Defensive Coordinator to maximize protection against the deep ball. That, of course, will provide even more opportunity for Brady to utilize the running game; and to hit shorter stuff to Welker, Watson, and others, who'll have room to run.

And let's not forget about the defense. The Jets running game was totally stuffed, and they were unable to complete a single pass play of 20 yards or more.

A much bigger challenge will be presented next week by the Chargers. so I'll restrain myself from making any sweeping predictions until we see how they handle one of the other two elite teams in the AFC. I don't expect a 38-14 thrashing of the Chargers. But I do expect another Patriots victory! If Truevisions continues its full coverage of the prime time games, we'll see that one on Monday morning, at about 7 AM. Should be a great game for all NFL fans.

Egads! I wonder if Peyton was watching "The Tom and Randy Show" last night? Randy just jogged through three defenders to snatch a 60 yds. in the air lollipop from Brady. AFC championship (whether it's NE v Indy or NE v SD) is gonna be wild!

I can't speak to the viewing choices of the Colts, but I was certainly watching; and I'm positively giddy about the season that lies ahead for my Patriots! That "Tom and Randy Show" last night will now force every opposing Defensive Coordinator to maximize protection against the deep ball. That, of course, will provide even more opportunity for Brady to utilize the running game; and to hit shorter stuff to Welker, Watson, and others, who'll have room to run.

And let's not forget about the defense. The Jets running game was totally stuffed, and they were unable to complete a single pass play of 20 yards or more.

A much bigger challenge will be presented next week by the Chargers. so I'll restrain myself from making any sweeping predictions until we see how they handle one of the other two elite teams in the AFC. I don't expect a 38-14 thrashing of the Chargers. But I do expect another Patriots victory! If Truevisions continues its full coverage of the prime time games, we'll see that one on Monday morning, at about 7 AM. Should be a great game for all NFL fans.

######, SD next week, thank God it's at home. My guess, Pats 17, SD 13. Rugged game of course. What's Vegas line, Pats by 6?

Edit: HA, funny, Vegas has it Pats 3.5 so I'm around them. FWIW, the O/U is 47 points, if I were betting, I'd bet the under instead of the spread. I don't see either team putting a lot of points on the other, even in nice weather.

Edited by calibanjr.

I found Sunday Night Football pretty interesting without the commentary, although I like Madden and Michaels. But not having either of the Monday night games did suck. I like the speed rerun replays, but not when it's a lame game like Chicago and San Diego. I have no idea why so many people are in love with those Bad News Bears. If they were an AFC team, they'd be Cleveland.

I found Sunday Night Football pretty interesting without the commentary, although I like Madden and Michaels. But not having either of the Monday night games did suck. I like the speed rerun replays, but not when it's a lame game like Chicago and San Diego. I have no idea why so many people are in love with those Bad News Bears. If they were an AFC team, they'd be Cleveland.

bears!! rule.

so are the games actually on? i missed them all and did not see any reference to them on the true website

can someone id what time (bkk) and channel they are on pls, so i can plan for next week at leaast

thx

Thank you?

A little premature. There is no MNF. UBC/True told me, this morning, they were still in negotiations. An announcement will be made Friday afternoon.

Also, there was no commentary on SNF, Sunday Night Football.

There was English language commentary. What you had to do was switch the remote to where you normally get Thai language, and you would have received the English language announcers. I know this doesn't make sense, but I was trying everything and discovered this by accident while watching the game.

bears!! rule.

so are the games actually on? i missed them all and did not see any reference to them on the true website

can someone id what time (bkk) and channel they are on pls, so i can plan for next week at leaast

thx

I have moved my channel numbers around, but the games were on True Sports #3.

I remain hopeful and optimistic that Truevisions is trying to restore the same schedule of 4 games per week that they gave us last season. The fact that they got the Sunday Night game provides clear evidence that they are not just going to ignore the initial loss of programming caused by the ESPN Star decision.

I have no idea whether it's negotiations with sources, or technical difficulties that is delaying their ability to broadcast the Monday Night games. But I do believe they are still trying to provide that broadcast. I think the broadcast of the Thursday night opener (Colts-Saints), and the Sunday Night game (Cowboys-Giants), both of which we all (and probably Truevisions) assumed would be carried on ESPN Star, earned them the benefit of the doubt on their efforts.

So let's not give up on Truevisions yet. Let's be grateful for the adjustments they've made to date, and hopeful that they'll manage to get those Monday Night games going before next week.

I remain hopeful and optimistic that Truevisions is trying to restore the same schedule of 4 games per week that they gave us last season. The fact that they got the Sunday Night game provides clear evidence that they are not just going to ignore the initial loss of programming caused by the ESPN Star decision.

I have no idea whether it's negotiations with sources, or technical difficulties that is delaying their ability to broadcast the Monday Night games. But I do believe they are still trying to provide that broadcast. I think the broadcast of the Thursday night opener (Colts-Saints), and the Sunday Night game (Cowboys-Giants), both of which we all (and probably Truevisions) assumed would be carried on ESPN Star, earned them the benefit of the doubt on their efforts.

So let's not give up on Truevisions yet. Let's be grateful for the adjustments they've made to date, and hopeful that they'll manage to get those Monday Night games going before next week.

If you get desperate patsfangr, I can give you the lowdown on how we poor (read: cheap) folk watch the games on the net. Not HDTV to be sure, but works for me. I never bet on games, but I'm thinking about calling home and betting the under (47 pts.) for beer money, or maybe to get UBC! :o

Too wimpy to bet the Pats -3.5 pts I'm guessing NE 17 SD 14 or something like that. Let's hope Bill B. leaves the VCam home. :D

Edited by calibanjr.

If we can't pick up NFL games on TV, maybe we can listen to the Patriots on the radio.

David, there is a radio feed option available via the internet at NFL.com. I have been using their "Field Pass" subscription since the beginning of last season. It costs $29.95, if you sign up in the pre-season. ($39.95 once the season starts.) You have the option to access the home town radio feed of any NFL team.

If you get desperate patsfangr, I can give you the lowdown on how we poor (read: cheap) folk watch the games on the net. Not HDTV to be sure, but works for me. I never bet on games, but I'm thinking about calling home and betting the under (47 pts.) for beer money, or maybe to get UBC! :o

Too wimpy to bet the Pats -3.5 pts I'm guessing NE 17 SD 14 or something like that. Let's hope Bill B. leaves the VCam home. :D

If you download the TVU player from viidoodotcom you can get all the CBS games, but it's from a west coast affiliate (Bay area). For example, this coming Sunday's game Broncos vs. Raiders is on starting 3AM Monday Thai time. Not bad for free. You need a broadband connection.

This spying by the Pats is not a small matter. They are being labeled the cheats of the NFL and are not only being fined a lot of money, but are also losing high draft picks next year. Talk is now whether they also cheated in their last superbowl win (2005).

This year, they will have a lot to prove.