American Football

ChuckZ

I loved the original Patriot logo. If not my favorite, pretty dam_n close. Even better than Bruce the Buccaneer.

Then, according to my not always reliable memory, the league was hit by the Flying Panther, the Flying Jaguar, and the Flying Elvis in a very short span, and they all look alike. And the dynamic new-look Broncos, and everybody else getting all dynamic and just looking amateur. Whoosh!

I loved it when the Panthers started using Carolina Blue, by the way. It's our history, and yep, in case you missed it, I'm a North Carolina homer.

But what's really dynamic is how the Patriots play. All 60 minutes, regardless of who's leading on the scoreboard. That ability will serve them well in these heady days where history could be made. I love Dungy, but after all those years of taking his foot off the gas in December and not being able to floor it again in January, we see who won most of those Super Bowls. That team with the wrong Patriot on the helmet.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...we see who won most of those Super Bowls. That team with the wrong Patriot on the helmet.

I may have missed your point?

The 49ers, Cowboys and Steelers have all won five (5) Superbowls to date.

The Raiders, Redskins, Packers and Patriots have won three (3) Superbowls.

Or are you just talking about the Dungy-coached Colts, or the pre-Flying Elvis Pats?

As a life-long Massachusetts resident and Pats fan I'd prefer a Duck-boat parade in February rather than a 16-0 record on Dec. 29, if I had to choose. I worry about some senseless injury running up the score against the Jets.

I expect to attend the Miami game (week 16 at home), and hold out slim hopes of attending the Giants game (week 17, away; relying on a Giants season ticket holder and former employee to help me out) during a holiday visit back home.

A 'Three-fer' (Red Sox, Pats, Celtics) may be too much to hope for?

The only interest I have in the Pats is that my cousin designed the logo.

Pat Patriot or Flying Elvis?

No offense to your cousin but the Flying Elvis logo was, and is, pretty much widely panned in New England. The shock when it was first presented was jaw-dropping. But it is now associated with success so expect it to be around for a few years.

Will the Pats play in throwbacks this season?

No offense taken. It was Flying Elvis.

It was a remarkable departure from the more traditional look, and I must say that I liked it better even before I found out my cousin designed it - but today you see many of the NFL logos designed in the same manner. My cousin also submitted a finalist for the Jaguars - but they didn't choose it so I actually got to use it for my computer shop for a few years :o

Calico's recollection is almost correct :D You can blame NFL Properties for the rapid change. Flying Elvis was introduced in 93, and the two new expansion teams debuted in 95.

Edited by onethailand

My mind moves so fast that it can't keep up.

I started with my love of the pre-Elvis helmets and ended with why I like the new Patriots' foot-on-the-gas approach.

I guess switching paragraphs isn't always enough. See what happens when I write without running it by my own editor? She doesn't like the NFL... :o

Oh, more trivia. The Bucs wanted a new logo so they had a contest in the newspaper. The winner was the same guy who designed the logo for the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL. Hence the similarities. I had my Bandit gear for at least 10 years after the USFL folded. Then I got too fat to wear it.

Edited by CalicoConsulting

INVALID GUARANTEE!

In case you missed it amid the soccer reports in our local "sports reports", Pittsburgh Steelers' Free Safety, Anthony Smith, ran his mouth a few days before the Sunday night game with the Patriots, and "guaranteed" a Steelers win.

Unfortunately, the small print of the guarantee required that it would be valid only if Smith could cover Randy Moss and Jabar Gaffney. He couldn't. Moss scored two TDs behind him, and Gaffney one, as the Patriots beat the Steelers, 34-13, making it official that they will have a bye for the first week of the Playoffs.

The Steelers made a game of it in the first half, with a lot of pressure on Tom Brady, excellent protection of their own QB, Ben Roethlisberger, and some fine running by their outstanding RB, Willie Parker. The half ended with the Patriots leading, 17-13.

Then the Patriots went into the locker room, and their coaches went to work.

The Patriots had trouble moving the ball consistently in that first half. The reason was fairly obvious. Brady had little or no time to find

receivers for deep, or even mid-range passes.

Fast forward to the second half. Whatever changes OL coach, Dante Scarneccia made for the blocking schemes, they worked ... sort of. Brady still couldn't pull out the rocking chair; but he did have more time, and more room to step up, when he had to.

In addition, of course, Offensive Coordinator, Josh McDaniel, put in a whole package of screens and quick slants that took much less time to complete.

In my opinion, it was those changes, and, of course, the ability of the players to execute them, that put us back in control of the game

offensively. When we have that control, we can't be beaten. We win the time of possession. We score on most drives. Our defense is rested. The opponent is forced out of their game plan. Game over.

On the field, a little more emphasis on the comment about the execution of the players in the second half. The OL, with lots of excellent

help from TE Brady, and "Stonewall" Faulk, shut down the "fast lane" to Brady in the second half. Brady then did his usual thing, zipping the ball on target to his outstanding corps of receivers, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Dante Stallworth, Jabbar Gaffney, and Ben Watson; all of whom did their job often enough put the ball in end zone twice, and set up two more Patriots FGs.

On the other side of the ball, the rest of the front 7 joined Mike Vrabel, who had been a one mam pass rush in the first half, in pressuring Roethlisberger much more than they had in the first half. Our secondary didn't have to stay with receivers as long; and were usually in position to make the plays they needed to slow, and ultimately stop, the Steelers.

This was a second half "pressure win". The pressure on Brady was reduced. The pressure on Roethlisberger was increased. That is my story line on this one.

A huge win for us. As the song says, I just want to celebrate!

(And, yes. Of course I loved the "Guarantee" chant that crowd went into in the 4t quarter!) :-)

Sorry, PKG. Your Steelers may get another shot at the Patriots this season. If they can win their first Playoff game against one of the Wildcard Game winners, they'll probably be the Patriots opponent in the Divisional Playoff Week. If that happens, I suggest that Steelers coaches and fans advise Mr Smith to button it. The Patriots are not a team you want to assist with extra motivation of any kind.

I had a bad feeling before the game even started. I honestly did not think the steelers would win, but I thought if any team could it would have been the steelers.

I have not heard the fat lady sing yet , so they may meet again in the playoffs.

Congrats to the Pats.

PKG

Steelers rock!

The Steelers actually didn't play all that badly. They didn't seem as aggressive in the 2nd half, on offense or defense. Four or five plays (two long TD's for the Pats, some dropped passes for the Steelers and some defensive stops by the Pats) really made the difference. Lots of small fights and jawing in this game, which is indicative of the pressure and competition. There was one really nasty hit, blind-side, block in the back in front of the Pats bench by a Steeler that may be remembered.

I think the Pats are going to have to run for more than 22 yards (out of 421) if they meet up with the Steelers in the playoffs, especially in inclement weather.

They say the spread for the Pats-Dolphins game, in 2 weeks, may the largest in history. And am looking forward to the reception the Jets get next week.

This past Sunday's Cowboy - Lions game shows just how hard it is for an NFL team to beat the teams they are supposed to beat easily once they have clinched the playoffs. It is what the Pats have been going through. The Eagles and Ravens were considered walkovers, but the Steelers were considered a tough test (with one player guaranteeing victory for the Steelers). While playing for home field advantage is important, week in and week out it is so hard to get up for each game, especially when the opponent is considered a patsy. Hence, the tight games against the Eagles and Ravens, and the blowout against the Steelers. Come playoff time, the Pats will be the Pats and then it will be on to the SB.

The problem I have with the Cowboys this year (and I follow them closely) is that in order to win each week, Romo must put a lot of points on the board. Fortunately, so far, he has. Bad offensive teams have record days against the Cowboys and because of this, the Pokes could easily get tripped up in the playoffs before ever getting to the SB. Romo has been super and will need to continue to be in order for the Pokes to get to the SB.

Great game by the Patriots over the Steelers! Anthony Smith (AS-) made some comments he couldn't live up to and suffered for it. Funny I didn't hear him get interviewed after the game.

Steelers did play well in the 1st half even though Smith got beat twice early on in the game(2nd TD Moss went untouched from line of scrimmage to the end zone). However, Steelers apparently did not have the personnel to handle Moss(Smith sucks!).

Looks like an undefeated regular season clearly but I sill maintain that the playoffs will be a different story. If the Pats take it all, then they will be in the history books. No asterick!

Have you all seen the latest video taping story from the NFL? Check this out!

Here's an article by Mike Reiss on this in the Globe? Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/3x8tne

***** The double talk from Aiello is ludicrous. The comments from many

readers present everything I could possible say, so I won't add to them. The

best thing the NFL could do now would be to step up and rescind the

penalties against Belichick and the Patriots. They could save face on it by

making a statement such as this:

"The confusion over the recent revelations of the taping of games by the New

York Jets make it evident that there is a need for some clarification of the

rules. It is clear that it was possible for Coach Belichick to misinterpret

the rules, as he stated he had done, and that his violation of the rule

should, therefore, be set aside in this instance. The Commissioner will

assign a team of people to revise the rules regarding the taping of games to

eliminate the possibility of any future confusion, or unintentional

violations. The league apologizes to Coach Belichick, the New England

Patriots organization, and the New England fans for the discomfort they have

suffered as a result of this situation."

***** I am dead serious. I am also 100% certain that this has as much chance

of happening as I have of replacing Belichick as Head Coach next season!

dam_n the bureaucrats that run the NFL!

My further personal comments, as posted elsewhere, on the video taping fiasco:

***** I truly am so pissed off about this that I can't see straight! (And I'm dealing with a touch of flu, so it's not from alcohol.)

***** I have to agree with the guy the people who posted in Reiss' blog that, when the season ends, both Kraft and Belichick should sue Goodell and the NFL for their unjust and prejudicial interpretation of the rules, and subsequent assessment of penalties against the Patriots that were not assessed against the Jets (and possibly other teams) for also violating the specific prohibitions detailed in the rules and the memo from the Commissioner. As with my suggestion of an NFL apology, I do not expect this to happen; although I do think it more possible than the reversal by the NFL - especially from Belichick.

***** Think about it. Belichick is, as we all know, a very cold S.O.B., who does not like to be f'd with. We all believe that, when this season ends, he will have recorded a season that is likely to live in NFL record books for many years. While short of the maximum coaching records, his credentials for the HOF will be far too impressive to be denied. Why not go out on top, with a final one-fingered salute to the a$$hole sitting in the top chair of the NFL bureaucracy?

***** As a Patriots' fan, I would be very upset if this happened; but not at Belichick. I'd be upset that it happened, and irrevocably pissed off at the bastards that would be guilty of having provoked it. hel_l, I'm already irrevocably pissed off at them!

Any conjecture on local broadcast outlets for the playoffs and Superbowl? TrueSport 4? Other?

There is nothing on the TrueVisions website (http://www.truevisionstv.com/index.aspx) showing any Playoff schedule at this time, LT. However, based upon the great job they've done in recovering from the ESPN-Asia drop of NFL coverage, my conjecture would be that they'll carry all of those games.

I'll drop them a note, and see if they can give me a specific response on that issue. Although, they usually respond with a very polite, more or less "form letter" thing to such inquiries. I'll post the results.

Any conjecture on local broadcast outlets for the playoffs and Superbowl? TrueSport 4? Other?

There is nothing on the TrueVisions website (http://www.truevisionstv.com/index.aspx) showing any Playoff schedule at this time, LT. However, based upon the great job they've done in recovering from the ESPN-Asia drop of NFL coverage, my conjecture would be that they'll carry all of those games.

I'll drop them a note, and see if they can give me a specific response on that issue. Although, they usually respond with a very polite, more or less "form letter" thing to such inquiries. I'll post the results.

Inquiry in process. I just sent the following note to TrueVisions:

Hello!

I used the "search" function on your website to research your plans for broadcast of the upcoming playoffs in the American football's National Football League. At this time, there is no schedule shown.

I know that the specifics of the teams involved in the playoffs are not yet decided. However, I would like to know if you plan on broadcasting all of the games when they are played.

Can you tell me if you plan to broadcast all of those playoff games, which will begin on Saturday, January 5?

George

"I don't have a whole lot of what-ifs. We won three Super Bowls," (Tom Brady)

The excitement of the NFL Playoffs is fast approaching. All of you reading this thread are probably nearly as pumped for that as I am!

But take a moment to look beyond, guys. Give some more consideration to participating in a Fantasy Football league next season. The preparation for a new league should really begin shortly after the Super Bowl. That's because the members have to agree upon the league structure, draft process, scoring rules, and a few other administrative details, in order to have the league ready to go. Also, of course, the team owners will want to start their preparations for the league draft by putting together a plan, and paying attention to the NFL's off season player movement, and the NFL Draft.

So, please think about it. I got into playing Fantasy Football a few years ago, and I think it really adds to the enjoyment of the season. As noted in my original post below, just drop me a line to let me know that you're interested. I'll contact all interested parties via email to work through the development of the league.

George

FANTASY FOOTBALL FOR 2008!

HI GUYS!

I'd like to put together an American Expats Fantasy Football League next season. I'm posting this idea here, and in another American forum I belong to, in the hope of getting at least 12 guys who know and enjoy FF, and want to have a fun diversion for next year.

I'd plan to add "prizes" for "increased interest"; but I'll go into that later, via email, with the guys who indicate a potential interest in playing.

Obviously, there's no need to commit to this now. But I want to put together a list of guys who would consider playing. Then, as the time for forming a league approaches, get final decisions on joining, and launch the league. I'd anticipate starting the league a few weeks before the NFL pre-season begins. Let's say July 4 would be the target date for initial contact.

So, what do you think? Any chance that you might want to participate in a Fantasy Football league next season? Just drop me an email, and I'll add you to the list of potential team owners.

Hello!

I used the "search" function on your website to research your plans for broadcast of the upcoming playoffs in the American football's National Football League. At this time, there is no schedule shown.

I know that the specifics of the teams involved in the playoffs are not yet decided. However, I would like to know if you plan on broadcasting all of the games when they are played.

Can you tell me if you plan to broadcast all of those playoff games, which will begin on Saturday, January 5?

George

And, here's their usual prompt reply. I'm still confident that we'll get pretty good, possibly even "total" playoff coverage.

Dear Mr. George:

We apologize to inform you that we have not had the update schedule yet. Once it becomes available, we will let you know.

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your letter. Write us again whenever we can be of further help to you. Please contact us at 02-7252525 or [email protected]

02-7252525-->Press 9 for English--> Press 8 for Gold and Platinum--> Enter subscriber number …. and followed by(#)--> Press 1 to submit--> Then press number 1 for Billing and Payment, 2 for Technical, or 3 for General Information…, your line will be transferred to the representative shortly.

We are so grateful for your trust in our service and support us all time.

Best regards,

Service: Correspondence

Non-Voice & Special Projects (Back Line Service)

Tel+66(0) 2725-2525

Fax+66(0) 2725-2500

Email:[email protected]

Hello!

George

And, here's their usual prompt reply. I'm still confident that we'll get pretty good, possibly even "total" playoff coverage.

Dear Mr. George:

We apologize to inform you that we have not had the update schedule yet. Once it becomes available, we will let you know.

Thank you for your patience.

Truevisions has made such a great effort this year to bring 4 games a week that I am sure they will televise the playoff games. The real question is whether my heart can take more games like the Cowboy/Lions and Cowboy/Eagles games.

I was just wondering if TrueSports 4 maintained broadcast rights for the playoffs and Superbowl, or if ESPN, Star Sports or some local outlet might take over?

No published schedule from the NFL but a guess would be:

Wildcard Weekend

Sat., 5 Jan, games at 4:30 PM and 8:00 PM

Sun., 6 Jan, games at 1:00PM and 4:30 PM

Divisional Playoffs

Sat., 12 Jan, games at 4:30 PM and 8:00 PM

Sun., 13 Jan, games at 1:00 PM and 4:30 PM

Conference Championships

Sun., 20 Jan., games at 3:00 PM and 6:30 PM

Superbowl 42

Sun., 3 Feb., kick-off ~ 6:22 PM

all times EST. (add 12 hours for Thailand)

COLLEGE BOWL GAMES ON ESPN

'Tis the season ... for the Bowl Games! ESPN has a bunch of them coming at us. Here's a list of the games scheduled for "daytime" broadcast. The games at 0800 or so are "live". The ones in mid-afternoon are repeats. (Here's a link to the full schedule, in case you're a night owl: http://www.truevisionstv.com/Search/eng/Se...mp;Keyword=bowl

For those of us who sleep nights, here's the daytime schedule:

SAT 22, 1900 Poinsetta Bowl - Utah vs. Navy

SUN 23, 0800 & 1800 Las Vegas Bowl - UCLA vs. BYU

MON 24, 0800 Hawaii Bowl - Boise State vs East Carolina

THU 27, 0730 & 1501 Motor City Bowl - Purdue vs. Central Michigan

FRI 28, 0800 & 1501 Holiday Bowl - Arizona State vs. Texas

SUN 30, 0800 & 1930 Alamo Bowl - Penn State vs. Texas A&M

MON 31, 0800 Independence Bowl - Alabama vx. Colorado

Note that the schedule only goes through this month. I'm sure there will be more, hopefully including all of the BCS games, in January. Meanwhile, lots of good college football to been seen in these games!

ENJOY!

NFL THIS WEEKEND

As for the "play for pay" boys, here's the 'live' portion of the NFL schedule for this weekend. All games on True Sport 4.

MON 0100 Eagles @ Saints

MON 0415 Dolphins @ Patriots

MON 0800 Buccaneers @ 49ers

TUE 0830 Broncos @ Chargers

Is anybody else watching, or trying to watch, the replay of the Poinsettia Bowl (Utah vs. Navy) on ESPN righ now (1930)?

If so, are you getting almost constant freezing problems with the broadcast? It's really making it difficult to enjoy the game, as the freezes cause delays that leave you missing several seconds of play.

I've switched channels to check my feed, and other channels seem to be OK. It's only this ESPN broadcast.

Anybody else?

COLLEGE BOWL GAMES ON ESPN

:o

My favorite comment on College Football comes from Vince Lombardi

He was once asked,"Coach Lombardi, do you watch college football?"

"College football....no I never watch it", he said. "College football is like your mother making you take your younger sister to her prom. No matter how pretty she looks, you can be sure that, one way or the other, you're going to end up frustrated by the end of the night."

:D

"College football....no I never watch it", he said. "College football is like your mother making you take your younger sister to her prom. No matter how pretty she looks, you can be sure that, one way or the other, you're going to end up frustrated by the end of the night."

The love of college football is probably illogical at its roots. You cheer for your team no matter what the odds, who the opponents and no matter who bad they play. Players beat themselves to death, endure insufferable injuries to their bodies and fight on for no other reason but to bring honor to their alma mater. The players are often are not physical specimens, such as Singleton of Navy or the better know "Rudy" of Notre Dame.

The fans who pledge undying allegiances to the team, give their time, money and devotion to teams who many times play badly, if not horribly.It is unreasonable for them to be dedicated to these college teams, as it is illogical for the players to kill themselves on the field. When their last game is over, they play it over and over, watching their alma mater in a big game against a hated rival.

Why do the players and fans love their college teams? Just for the above given reasons...they love the game of football and the dedication that these athletes give purely in the spirit of competition! :o

The love of college football is probably illogical at its roots. You cheer for your team no matter what the odds, who the opponents and no matter who bad they play. Players beat themselves to death, endure insufferable injuries to their bodies and fight on for no other reason but to bring honor to their alma mater. The players are often are not physical specimens, such as Singleton of Navy or the better know "Rudy" of Notre Dame.

The fans who pledge undying allegiances to the team, give their time, money and devotion to teams who many times play badly, if not horribly.It is unreasonable for them to be dedicated to these college teams, as it is illogical for the players to kill themselves on the field. When their last game is over, they play it over and over, watching their alma mater in a big game against a hated rival.

Why do the players and fans love their college teams? Just for the above given reasons...they love the game of football and the dedication that these athletes give purely in the spirit of competition! :o

Well said, MG. But, back to my original reason for this thread, I STILL have the "freezing" problem with the ESPN feed this morning, during the Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl (UCLA vs. BYU).

Is anybody watching this game, and, if so, are you also having this problem? As I said last night, I am having this ONLY with ESPN. All other TrueVision channels seem to operating perfectly.

HISTORY AWAITS! LET'S LOBBY TRUEVISIONS FOR BROADCAST OF PATRIOTS @ GIANTS!

Every NFL fan here in Thailand should want to see the Patriots play the Giants next week in the final game of the season. It's a Saturday night game, being broadcast in the USA by NFL Network. Currently, it is NOT scheduled for broadcast by TrueVisions. It would, of course, begin at 8:00 AM Sunday morning here. Ideal time for us to enjoy it.

In case you've been living off the planet for the last few weeks, a Patriots win would make them the first team in NFL history to complete a 16-game schedule without a loss. 16-0, for the first time ever!

I have sent a note to TrueVisions explaining the importance of this game, and asking that they make a maximum effort to provide a live broadcast of this game. Please join me in that lobbying effort. Whether or not you're a Patriots fan, as I obviously am, you should, as an NFL fan, want to see game.

I'll make it as easy as possible for you. I'll provide the email address, and even copy my note (below), so that you can just copy and paste, if you wish, and add your voice to mine in the plea for broadcast of this one. Can you please spare a couple of minutes to do that?

The TrueVisions email address is: [email protected]

Here's the note I sent to them:

Hello! Below is a copy of a note I sent to you on Sunday regarding next week's game between the New England Patriots and the New York Giants, to be played in New York on Saturday night, December 29, at 8:00 PM. That, of course, will be at 8:00 AM Sunday morning here.

The Patriots won their game against the Miami Dolphins yesterday. That game gave the Patriots a record for this season of 15-0. Next week, if they beat the Giants, they will become the first team in the history of the National Football League to complete an entire 16-game season without a loss! This is a game that all NFL fans want to see.

Currently, your schedule does not list this as a game to be broadcast. Your response to the note below assured me that you would forward my request to the people responsible for your programming. I sincerely hope that you will ensure that they make every effort to work with GOALTV to secure rights to this game, and broadcast it LIVE for us here in Thailand. Because of it's historic aspects, this game is at least as important as a Super Bowl!

Thank you for your continuing efforts to maximize the enjoyment of all fans of American football here in Thailand.

Crap, I just assumed this game would be televised here.

Were the previous Saturday games (Dec. 15 CIN v SF and Dec. 22, DAL v CAR) televised here?

No and I don't think anyone can really expect this game to be televised either. It would be nice, but True does great giving us 4 live games a week as it is.