What is the tipping practice in Thailand ?

observer90210

There isn't really a practice of tipping in Thailand.

Personally, in restaurant I just round up, though these days with QR code scan to pay I just pay the bill. However, if a waiter/waitress has been particularly attentive I'll probably put a 100 in hand as leaving. Hotels I just leave the shrapnel, handymen/maids are already being paid to do a job. Taxis just round up. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

On reading some comments, one gets a fine illustration on the word "stingy".

Tipping may be a yankee obligation, but in civilised Europe it is plainly a gesture of recognition to the good service - should it be after a mean of for a handyman.

Having worked as a waiter to pay for college years ago,  I have seen some unruly waiters/waiteresses litterally spit in the food or add a bit of "eau de toilette" directly from the loo, in the dishes of the regular known customers  who were either rude or never left a small tip. Since that day, I always tipp and do never manifest any arrogance with the staff.

Different countries have radically different tipping cultures.

• Like 2

Just now, mfd101 said:

My b/f gave me a lecture on the subject when we first moved here in south Surin in 2017. He said the locals can't afford to give tips and to do so ourselves would create expectations that others can't meet. So we just round up.

Yeah I get that.

Living in tourism centers creates different expectations. 

• Like 1

Many locals don't tip, or slightly round up (e.g. bill is 590 baht, and they tip 10 baht).

I personally used to tip about 10 percent, but over time 'went native', i.e. usually now just round up as well. More for good service at the barber, restaurants, or a taxi driver helping with the luggage (which has become rare). No, or minimal tip for mediocre service.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Use your own judgment. For Panda, the drivers get 9 baht. Could you live on that? They use and maintain their own bikes. Is it fair to the drivers? Would your 20 baht tip make a difference to the driver? Would it adversely affect your life?

One can always find what they think might be a valid excuse for being unkind and cheap. I can't. Same applies to restaurants. Just because the locals don't. 

I think drivers deserve tips more than waiters, unless at fancy restaurants.

Never heard of a waiter killed bringing food to a table. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Many locals don't tip, or slightly round up (e.g. bill is 590 baht, and they tip 10 baht).

I personally used to tip about 10 percent, but over time 'went native', i.e. usually now just round up as well. More for good service at the barber, restaurants, or a taxi driver helping with the luggage (which has become rare). No, or minimal tip for mediocre service.

One thing I can't shake.

Overtipping barbers especially if I'm using them regularly. 

It's definitely not the Thai custom but I just can't help it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1