The Ashes

uptheos

Been following it on the Beeb web page, apparently 6 Aussies have turned up to watch todays play!, Ponting is getting some grief!.

I rather liked the comment that today was fancy dress at the Gabba ...

......... and the Aussies turned up dressed as SEATS ! :lol:

I read that comment and cackled away to myself every time i read it. Most funny!

Magnificent start to the series, and just great to see our batters standing up to be counted at the very time we needed them to do this. And in such fine style. I wonder what confidence cook and bell will take from that game into the rest of the series? Because our bowlers as a unit are patently better than theirs, i feel it's down to whether our batters are up to the mark as to whether we win the series. A most confident start it must be said.

I also just wonder what degree of demoralisation the aussies will carry into the next couple of tests? To suffer all that at the gabba...

Some Aussie press are saying that because Ponting made batting look so easy on the last day, it puts Cook's innings "into perspective"........talk about sore.

But there again, we put Pieterson on to bowl too, so we weren't concerned really.whistling.gif

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the Aussies have dropped Johnson for the second test starting Friday.....no surprises there!

Looks like being a busy day at the UN Irish Pub, with cricket on until 2pm, then home for a shower and nap and then back to listen to the live Irish country music at 8-30pm with Mac and Mel. smile.gif

How long are the Aussie commentators going to talk about the Harris dismissal?...........Get over it! biggrin.gif

Hi, 93 posts and your contribution is 46!! Ever had that feeling you're talking to yourself? :lol:

Now it's 94! Congrats in advance for your 2000. :whistling:

Back on topic: com'on England!

YOS

How long are the Aussie commentators going to talk about the Harris dismissal?...........Get over it! biggrin.gif

Hi, 93 posts and your contribution is 46!! Ever had that feeling you're talking to yourself? :lol:

Now it's 94! Congrats in advance for your 2000. :whistling:

Back on topic: com'on England!

YOS

Sure do, but I've thought about counting people's posts for something different to do. wink.gif

When a game is one sided it's hard to engage the other side and the Aussie's are proving to be more fickle than I had realised........seems Blinky Bill when he's around, is the only one with balls, hence the title of the thread.

No worries, if the Aussies ever get on top there's sure to be a few comments.

have some of that !

great day out in the middle for our batsmen. cooks concentration levels are amazing.

now, dear santa, all i want for christmas is england to have retained the ashes by the start of the boxing day test and to see ricky ponting do a kim hughes. laugh.gif

Ricky Ponting's a broken man

Without Warne he has no plan

He tries to carry the team all on his own

He's losing his hair

But we don't care

'Cos Strauss our captain will take the urn home

So hoist up the John B sail

See how the mainsail sails

Call for the captain ashore

Take the urn home

We'll take the urn home

We'll take the urn home

With Strauss our captain

We'll take the urn home

Edited by uptheos

have some of that !

great day out in the middle for our batsmen. cooks concentration levels are amazing.

now, dear santa, all i want for christmas is england to have retained the ashes by the start of the boxing day test and to see ricky ponting do a kim hughes. laugh.gif

Absolutely!!

A bit of a bummer that we can't see our stars in action during the next two days though and maybe there won't be a fifth day.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to listen to the live commentary on the computer from the comfort of my couch, which is OK, but not the same as watching it and looking at the empty seats.

However, I'm going to have serious words with that Sandy chap......this is just not cricket, but obviously sour grapes cos he's an Aussie. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Don't forget, if you're going to listen to commentary on Radio 5 live tomorrow, that play starts at 0700.

Yeah, I know it's early, but just roll out of bed onto the couch, flick the computer on, shout for the missus to bring a cuppa (cuddle up if you want) and hopefully enjoy a great morning's batting by our boys. smile.gif

Well, I'm really pleased that I have been able to watch Kevin Pieterson's 200 not out (so far). It needs to be watched as opposed to listened to, in order to appreciate just how graceful and effortless this knock has been. Now I expect to see him open up and really take the bowlers to the cleaners.

I wonder if Aussie fans realise that in the last 2 innings England are 1044 / 5 !

I'm not too good on Geography but is Adelaide in England or Australia ;):D

All the Aussies must have gone to church this morning to pray for rain. sad.gif

The power of prayer ! Rain is also forecast for the next 2 days ,very unlike Adelaide at this time of the year. If this test does result in a draw its still 0-0 in the series and any Australian, aged between 18 and 40, who has picked up a cricket ball is in with a show to get a game. Warne, Mc Grath, Lee, Ritchie Benaud.

The power of prayer ! Rain is also forecast for the next 2 days ,very unlike Adelaide at this time of the year. If this test does result in a draw its still 0-0 in the series and any Australian, aged between 18 and 40, who has picked up a cricket ball is in with a show to get a game. Warne, Mc Grath, Lee, Ritchie Benaud.

http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/forecasts/adelaide.shtml

Send her down Hughie!!!!

He's gone past 40 twice! ohmy.gif

Great breakthrough for Pieterson........the Aussies must really be sick of him. biggrin.gif

Intriguing day tomorrow weather permitting, forecast is thunder showers - 60% precipitation. sad.gif

No matter if it's a draw so be it, that's cricket, but if the Aussies were downhearted going into this test, I can't imagine how they feel going into the 3rd whatever this result. wink.gif

So the end result will be Aussies 3 Poms 1. :rolleyes:

Don't mean to be a killjoy but isn'it time this thread was moved to the "Sports, Hobbies & Activities" Subforums. Seems to have run it's course as Chiang Mai related ages ago! :whistling:

YOS

Why is it bothering you? If so don't open it. wink.gif

The person in the heading Blinky Bill has showed up....good on ya Blinky - he's Chiang Mai related and hopefully we will get some banter going. It's not my fault if it's one sided and keeping the Aussies away and if you're winning so easily it's also difficult to know what to say for fear of embarrassing our colonial cousins.

Screening times and info regarding the only place to watch it is Chiang Mai related and interests people.

What's your problem?........go open a Christmas thread or suck on a lemon.........or something else down under.

Edited by uptheos

Don't mean to be a killjoy but isn'it time this thread was moved to the "Sports, Hobbies & Activities" Subforums. Seems to have run it's course as Chiang Mai related ages ago! :whistling:

YOS

The person in the heading Blinky Bill has showed up....good on ya Blinky - he's Chiang Mai related and hopefully we will get some banter going. It's not my fault if it's one sided and keeping the Aussies away and if you're winning so easily it's also difficult to know what to say for fear of embarrassing our colonial cousins.

Screening times and info regarding the only place to watch it is Chiang Mai related and interests people.

What's your problem?........go open a Christmas thread or suck on a lemon.........or something else down under.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Oh dear you're too easy to wind-up, must be a Pom!! Lighten up man!!

YOS

Well that was difficult, hardly worth getting up for it was so easy.

Now on to Perth - Dec 16th, which is only an hour ahead of Thai time

Don't you just feel for poor Ricky and Michael? violin.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

(quote)

It should be against forum rules to post pictures of Michael Clarke

on the forum mate. He's got the heart the size of a caraway seed.

I can accept the stick (barely), but please, no more photo's of him.

I've only just gotten out of the fetal position :D

Will

YOS

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Oh dear you're too easy to wind-up, must be a Pom!! Lighten up man!!

YOS

Nice try digger, but I fully understand an Aussie not wanting to be reminded day after day of just how bad they are. wink.gif