The Ashes

uptheos

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention for anyone watching The Ashes at UN Irish Pub.

Sandy says they will be closed Dec 5th for HM birthday and also Dec 6th for the staff to have time off.

Whats more important, the kings b'day or the ashes ? i know which one i think it is :(.

So the staff have 2 days off :annoyed: some people have no consideration for others :o:D.

Edited by alfieconn

I forgot to mention for anyone watching The Ashes at UN Irish Pub.

Sandy says they will be closed Dec 5th for HM birthday and also Dec 6th for the staff to have time off.

Whats more important, the kings b'day or the ashes ? i know which one i think it is :(.

So the staff have 2 days off :annoyed: some people have no consideration for others :o:D.

It's just not cricket old chap........that Sandy is much too soft!

But he does do his best to consistently get us the best sports coverage in Chiang Mai. jap.gif

Good day for the Aussies (well, two of them anyway), now we need the openers to dig in for a couple of days. sad.gif

game on the pitch is going to be good until last day if the poms can post a score it couldgo down to the last session

It's important that England openers stay there and if we can make up the deficit without losing too many wickets, it could get interesting.

Hopefully, they learned their lesson from the first innings......no-one has it easy at The Gabba.

i think its more important that we bowl the poms out for about say 150 and set the trend for the rest of the series

Based on the past 25 years of ashes cricket this is entirely feasible.

However, if england want to win the ashes, then their batsmen will just have to earn their money this time around, and two or three of them are going to have to get big scores, but more importantly show they can stick around at the crease.

Three results definitely possible at the moment...

great knock by our top order lads today to get us back in with a shout.

jolly good, thats the spirit chaps. stiff upper lip and all that, what what !

a question if i may though while i am here.

something i was unaware of and am curious to find out the reason why the aussies have a thing about the number 87 ? i know we have a thing about nelsons ie 111, 222 and so on, but why the number 87 for the soap doggers ?

anyone know ?

Edited by tigerfish

great knock by our top order lads today to get us back in with a shout.

jolly good, thats the spirit chaps. stiff upper lip and all that, what what !

a question if i may though while i am here.

something i was unaware of and am curious to find out the reason why the aussies have a thing about the number 87 ? i know we have a thing about nelsons ie 111, 222 and so on, but why the number 87 for the soap doggers ?

anyone know ?

Because it's 13 away from a 100.

And BTW, it's soap dodgers :0-)

Will

i think its more important that we bowl the poms out for about say 150 and set the trend for the rest of the series

Based on the past 25 years of ashes cricket this is entirely feasible.

However, if england want to win the ashes, then their batsmen will just have to earn their money this time around, and two or three of them are going to have to get big scores, but more importantly show they can stick around at the crease.

Three results definitely possible at the moment...

What a fantastic performance by the England batsmen!!

Glad to see the UN Irish Pub was packed out to witness this display of batting at its finest. thumbsup.gif

In cricket there's nothing quite like The Ashes! smile.gif

Especially when the Aussies flog the living daylights out of the poms. sHa_shakeshout.gif

England's opening pair broke all records at the dreaded Gabba, (where visiting teams supposed to lay down and die), including the visitors' highest stand ever at the Gabba and the best opening effort by any touring team in Brisbane.

If you're an Aussie fan, might be best you find something else to do today, no point putting yourself through needless pain.sad.gif

Alistair Cook 200 not out, Jonathan Trott 100 not out. smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

be interesting to see if england put the aussies in this afternoon and try and get a psychological advantage going into the next test by taking a couple of wickets from their not so inform top order batsman. or, just keep on batting and humiliate their bowling attack. either way they cant lose and it will be so much fun to watch. whistling.gif

personally id like to see us put them in and give them a bit of friendly lip service in the middle. laugh.gif

btw, is it really being played at the gabba in brisbane australia ? looks more like a home game for the english judging by the amount of support thats in attendance today for the aussies ! wink.gif

Edited by tigerfish

be interesting to see if england put the aussies in this afternoon and try and get a psychological advantage going into the next test by taking a couple of wickets from their not so inform top order batsman. or, just keep on batting and humiliate their bowling attack. either way they cant lose and it will be so much fun to watch. whistling.gif

personally id like to see us put them in and give them a bit of friendly lip service in the middle. laugh.gif

btw, is it really being played at the gabba in brisbane australia ? looks more like a home game for the english judging by the amount of support thats in attendance today for the aussies ! wink.gif

Maybe just push on to 700 and declare. cheesy.gif

Been following it on the Beeb web page, apparently 6 Aussies have turned up to watch todays play!, Ponting is getting some grief!.

I rather liked the comment that today was fancy dress at the Gabba ...

......... and the Aussies turned up dressed as SEATS ! :lol:

Been following it on the Beeb web page, apparently 6 Aussies have turned up to watch todays play!, Ponting is getting some grief!.

cheesy.gif

"Cook cracked a double hundred against the tour Australians but that wasn't a first-class match and this innings left his previous Test-best of 173, made against Bangladesh at Chittagong, well behind. In a mark of what Cook achieved, he also broke a record held by Don Bradman for the highest individual score at the Gabba, while his match aggregate bettered that of Matthew Hayden in the 2002-03 Ashes encounter".

Now, that's gotta hurt! biggrin.gif

Edited by uptheos

so onto adelaide after the first test in brisbane ends in a draw.

next most important thing in this series, will be if england can win the toss and post a big total on a great batting track in adelaide.

do that and england could well be in with a good shout of holding onto the ashes

cant wait for the next test to start !

"Cook cracked a double hundred against the tour Australians but that wasn't a first-class match and this innings left his previous Test-best of 173, made against Bangladesh at Chittagong, well behind. In a mark of what Cook achieved, he also broke a record held by Don Bradman for the highest individual score at the Gabba, while his match aggregate bettered that of Matthew Hayden in the 2002-03 Ashes encounter".

Great innings by Cook but forget about records, now irrelevant thanks to heavier graphite coated bats and shorter boundaries.Sad but true.Give Bradman those advantages and his test average would have been 150 not 99 ! the game will never be the same.

Great innings by Cook but forget about records, now irrelevant thanks to heavier graphite coated bats and shorter boundaries.Sad but true.Give Bradman those advantages and his test average would have been 150 not 99 ! the game will never be the same.

I understand what you are saying, but records come and go in all sports and Cook now holds the record at The Gabba.

The Don held it for a long time and no one could beat it, not even an Aussie....now it's Cook. smile.gif

What happened? No TV, telephone or internet coverage here.

Hi BB

The only TV coverage of The Ashes in Chiang Mai is at the UN Irish Pub and I think Sandy got Star C from India for this series, so I certainly think it's worth supporting him. The UN Irish Pub has by FAAAAR the best sports coverage in Chiang Mai, it knocks the competition dead for selection and with three decent sized screens in different areas, almost everyone can be pleased. I have posted the UN Irish Pub's sports program from Nov 30th - Dec 7th, which includes not only The Ashes, but also NFL, Boxing, Premier League football, NHL, UFC, with even live music on a couple of nights.

Often people will ask on TV if a certain event is on and who is showing it.

Might I suggest those interested in getting this list emailed to them weekly, call the the UN Irish Pub when Sandy or Greg are there or send them an email or ask when you're there, asking to be put on the sporting events mailing list, then at least you'll know every week in advance if what you want to watch is being shown at the UN Irish Pub.

Please note: We will be closed on Sunday the 5th & Monday the 6th in observance of His Majesty the King's Birthday. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Tue 30th 8:30am NFL – San Francisco @ Arizona (108) Live

6:00pm NFL – San Diego @ Indianapolis (108) ®

8:30pm NFL – San Francisco @ Arizona (108) ®

8:30pm Live Music – Irish Country with Mac & Mel

10:30pm EPL – Man U v Blackburn 257/11 (101) ®

11:00pm UFC - #112 (108) ®

Wed 1st 4:00pm ODI – India v New Zealand (NeoC)

7:30pm NHL – St. Louis @ Chicago (108) ®

7:30pm EPL – Tottenham v Liverpool 28/11 (101) ®

8:30pm Live Music – Open Mic Night Hosted by Lindsay

9:30pm NHL – Dallas @ St. Louis 27/11 (108) ®

10:30pm Classic Boxing – Legendary Champions (107) ®

10:30pm EPL – Newcastle @ Chelsea 28/11 (101) ®

Thu 2nd 11:30pm NCAA – TBD 108 ®

5:00pm NHL – Boston @ Philadelphia (108) ®

7:00pm NCAA – TBD (108) ®

7:30pm EPL – Newcastle v Chelsea 28/11 (111) ®

8:30pm Quiz Night – 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Triers' Prizes

Fri 3rd 7:00am The Ashes – Australia v England 2nd Test

8:15am NFL – Houston @ Philadelphia (108) Live

6:30pm NFL – San Diego @ Indianapolis (108) ®

9:00pm NFL – Houston @ Philadelphia (108) ®

11:00pm EPL – Tottenham v Liverpool 28/11 (101) ®

Sat 4th 7:00am The Ashes – Australia v England

12:30pm NHL – Atlanta @ Pittsburgh (108) ®

7:00pm NHL – Edmonton @ Toronto (108) ®

9:00pm NHL – Vancouver @ Chicago (108) ®

10:00pm EPL – Chelsea v Everton (101/111)

10:00pm EPL – Arsenal v Fulham (103)

10:00pm EPL – Man City v Bolton

12:30am EPL – Blackpool v Man U (103/111) (First half only)

Sun 5th CLOSED

Mon 6th CLOSED

Tue 7th 7:00am The Ashes – Australia v England

8:30am NFL – NY Jets @ New England (108) Live

6:30pm NHL – San Jose @ Detroit (108) ®

7:30pm EPL – Liverpool v Aston Villa 7/12 ®

8:30pm NFL – NY Jets @ New England (108) ®

Edited by uptheos

Thanks Up Theos, Sandy's a good mate and has been for many years, but I'm not there, presently somewhere over the border.

So it was a draw? Hope the series isn't a draw.

You're most welcome BB......Yep, I remember Sandy when he was only half the man he is now. wink.gif He's a good bloke.

Yep, it was a draw and there was some good cricket from both sides......I too hope the series isn't a draw, but a draw or England victory will ensure The Ashes stay at Lords.......(I don't think they've ever been allowed to leave).........have they?huh.gif

Hope you make it into town for the next test.....too bad about the dates coinciding.......mai bpen rai. smile.gif

I read that comment and cackled away to myself every time i read it. Most funny!

Magnificent start to the series, and just great to see our batters standing up to be counted at the very time we needed them to do this. And in such fine style. I wonder what confidence cook and bell will take from that game into the rest of the series? Because our bowlers as a unit are patently better than theirs, i feel it's down to whether our batters are up to the mark as to whether we win the series. A most confident start it must be said.

I also just wonder what degree of demoralisation the aussies will carry into the next couple of tests? To suffer all that at the gabba...