Singapore

I am taking a TG to SNG for 3 nights and would be very grateful for any advice on the following:-

1.Marriott/Shangrila

2.Upmarket restaurants

3.Bars

4.Thai restaurants

5.Daytime activity that a TG would enjoy other than eating or sleeping

Thanks a lot

stroll around Orchard road

go to Sentosa island by gondola

go to Zoo and Jurong Birdpark

day trip to Bintan island(Indonesia)

hang out at Boat quay, Clarke quay at night..loads of restaurants, pubs etc....

go to giant copper fountain

I am taking a TG to SNG for 3 nights and would be very grateful for any advice on the following:-

1.Marriott/Shangrila

2.Upmarket restaurants

3.Bars

4.Thai restaurants

Thanks a lot

Hotel: Marriott will be a better choice. Good Beds and Service. Price wise will be steeper.

There are lots of things to eat at Singapore. If you want something good, restaurants is not a good choice. Hawker Centres in Chinatown, Geylang(red light district there also), Novean etc.. serve delicious and cheap food.

Lots of bars and discos can be found in Mohama Sultan Road(very happening place there). Boat quay and Clarke quay are kind of quiet now.

Sentosa, Zoo(there is night safari also, check it out) at Mandai, Bird Park at Jurong should be in the list for tourist.

Shopping wise you can go to Bugis, Chaintown, Orchard Road, Train station City Hall(Big shopping centre named Suntec Centre and Marina Centre, around 15mins walk from train station).

I think that is enough for you to last you for three days in Singapore.

Any problem can PM me.

Note: Take a train down to a hotel will be more adviseable. Expensive to take a cab.

Have fun.

Chok Dee Krub

Sa Wa Dee Krub.

Marriott is conveniently located next to Orhhard subway station, fine hotel, I saved a bundle by booking via priceline.com.

Try the Long Bar At Raffles, where the Singapore Sling was invented. Throw peanut shells on the floor there, the only place in Singapore it's legal to litter. :o

I/m going next month for 4 days with the TGF after looking at quite a few hotels i opted for the Royal Plaza Hotel on Scotts Road (Road off Orchard) has very good reviews.............also is the only hotel that throws in a free mini bar everyday in the room also free breakfast buffet for 2.

Booked through Asiarooms.....4000 baht/night...........might be worth you considering if you havn't booked already.

Going with AirAsia 900 baht return (unfortunately the taxes take it up to 2000 baht / person).........still not a bad deal though.

This might of been better in the Travel Forum............maybe someone can move it ?

:o

Edited by thaiflyer1

Thaiflyer - Royal Plaza is not as good as it was and certainly not in the same category as others on Orchard/Scotts such as the Mariott or Hyatt. Rooms although OK are nothing special and quite small and the freeminibar is a waste of time - consists of couple of tins of soda and alcohol free beer. 4,800 baht is expensive for that property.

Thaiflyer - Royal Plaza is not as good as it was and certainly not in the same category as others on Orchard/Scotts such as the Mariott or Hyatt.  Rooms although OK are nothing special and quite small and the freeminibar is a waste of time - consists of couple of tins of soda and alcohol free beer.  4,800 baht is expensive for that property.

Oh sh#t!................cheers Digger. :o

Dont ever go to Orchard Tower or Golden Mile ...She might Get into her Thai friends and you will be standing alone waiting for her to finished chatting.... :o

Chimjes

A Couple of British and Iris Bars...

Including 2 clubs...

1)Insomnia

2)China Jump

The safest place to club is at Chimjes...Lots of Expats and no trouble with Police..

Say No: to China Town,Mohammad Sultan Rd or Clark Quey...Lots of Fighting incident And lots of Raids By police....

For clubs ...I would say go to Chimjes...A 24/7 club called Insomnia(Same As Hong Kong Insomnia) Good Live Band and ends at 4 Am.After 4 Am(No More Alcohol) relax and enjoy your Cofee till you drop...

Insomnia is the only Club in Singapore to open 24/7 (Lots Of Expats Hangging Around)

OR.... GO to BarNone...Excellent club at Mariott Hotels...And their live band is the best in Singapore....Dont forget say hi to their Lead Singer Douglas Oliviero..He's The lead Singer for 10 years....

Thai Food...There a Thai Restaurants at Takashimaya Ground Floor...Or you could choose the Food Court that served Thai food too...

Hotels I would say ... Pan Pacific Opposite Suntec City...Nice Place Its a walking distance to the Esplanade..And Their Security is TOP ....

As for me cant wait for my trip next week to Singapore for 1 week...It will be Clubs all all week long .there....

P.S Anyone going to Singapore on 8-15 Sept let me know....We go clubbing together... :D Singapore is lilke my playground...

Edited by tytus

Thaiflyer - Royal Plaza is not as good as it was and certainly not in the same category as others on Orchard/Scotts such as the Mariott or Hyatt.  Rooms although OK are nothing special and quite small and the freeminibar is a waste of time - consists of couple of tins of soda and alcohol free beer.   4,800 baht is expensive for that property.

Oh sh#t!................cheers Digger. :o

Swopped to the Marriott ($15 US for change and extra $37US a night)..... :D

1.Marriott/Shangrila

2.Upmarket restaurants

3.Bars

4.Thai restaurants

Thanks a lot

I live in Singapore with my TG most of the time. She enjoys wandering around the shops in Holland Village, and there is a decent (but not special) Thai restaurant (Aroi Thay, not Thai Express). There is an Isaan restaurant on 6th Avenue, just near the junction with Bukit Timah Road. There is a Thai wat in Bedok, but for a short trip you probably won't need that. If you need any more advice, email me, if I am in town would be happy to meet up or answer questions. Agree with post about night safari, zoo and bird park are terrific but could lead to "dark skin"... If she is really home-sick for local food and thai people, visit Golden Mile on Beach Road, a mini-thailand-in-a-mall.

Well i do Recomend Singapore food rather than Thai Food if you are having a vacation Singapore....

Can always get Better Thai food in Thailand

Well the GF is from Thai why not bring her to a local food at (Beach Road)...Tell the Taxi Driver go to Beach Road Food Center Theres alot of Chinese,Malay,Indian Food...And also western Food...

Wise choice changing to the Marriott - you will not regret it. Great way to just chill out is at the outside bar they have at the hotel called from memory the Crossroads - not cheap but good for people watching. Also nearest decent hawker centre to your hotel will be at Newton Circus - its a popular tourist place so prices are not as cheap as some, but its worth a visit and is open 24hrs a day - chilli stingray and a cold tiger beer is highlight. There is also a food court under Orchard Towers just up Orchard from the Marriott and past the Thai embassy and a couple of stalls cater to the Thai girls working upstairs. There is also a Thai/issan place inside the towers itself but your girl will need to ask another Thai girl where it is as its off the beaten track.

Drinks in the bar at the top of the Swissotel are a nice way to spend an evening - about 65 floors above ground level with good views all around.

For shopping, many Thai girls prefer mooching around Far East Plaza, 200m from the Marriott which has loads of little shops and stalls and is cheaper than the flashy malls.

I am going with my wife at singapore in October, and we selected Golden Landmark Hotel with 2,800 baht/night and if u book for 2 nights than 1 night free, means that in 5,600 baht u can get 3 nights stay.

I took Jet Star Asia so its kind of economical deal. Dont know much about it, well lets see what will be our experience. :o

• 1 month later...
Wise choice changing to the Marriott - you will not regret it.  Great way to just chill out is at the outside bar they have at the hotel called from memory the Crossroads - not cheap but good for people watching.  Also nearest decent hawker centre to your hotel will be at Newton Circus - its a popular tourist place so prices are not as cheap as some, but its worth a visit and is open 24hrs a day - chilli stingray and a cold tiger beer is highlight.    There is also a food court under Orchard Towers just up Orchard from the Marriott and past the Thai embassy and a couple of stalls cater to the Thai girls working upstairs.  There is also a Thai/issan place inside the towers itself but your girl will need to ask another Thai girl where it is as its off the beaten track. 

Drinks in the bar at the top of the Swissotel are a nice way to spend an evening - about 65 floors above ground level with good views all around. 

For shopping, many Thai girls prefer mooching around Far East Plaza, 200m from the Marriott which has loads of little shops and stalls and is cheaper than the flashy malls.

Just got back .............Marriott was fine..........breakfast buffet (inc with room) was very good, my only quibble would be the rooms are a little small but no doubt thats due to the octaganal shape of the hotel.

Location was excellent............Crossroads good for quiet drink and people watching.........did the usual things Boat Quay etc.

Airasia was on time both going and coming back would use them again.........ticket even included departure tax (375baht approx) from Changi which i wasnt expecting when the return ticket was only 2143 baht/person.

Worst part of trip was return to Pattaya............landed at 5pm and for a change as i was travelling light decided to get the bus back from Ekamai took from 5.15pm to 6.45pm to cross BKK, could of almost been back to Pattaya by taxi in that time............never again!

Undecided whether for next 90 day run in December to return to Singapore (which was enjoyable from start to finish) or try somewhere different.............maybe Hong Kong. :o

Anway thanks to Digger for the Marriott tip. :D

Singapore for three days and needs Thai food.

Your having a laugh aren't you.

My Thai wife and I lived in Singapore for over a year, we never once ate at a Thai restaurant. There is far too much other good food to miss.. Malay, Indonesian, Chinese, Indian, European, Italian... and Singapore's own special fusion foods..

Signapore has perhaps the best food in Asia... why miss it?

Singapore for three days and needs Thai food.

Unless i/m missing something i dont think i mentioned Thai food ...........did i?

What was a highlight was the Pepper Crab down at the Quay.

Edit..........and the Hainanese Chicken of course.

Edited by thaiflyer1

No you’re right, you did not, but the OP did.

As for pepper crab, I'd recommend the East Coast Parkway for the best sea food restaurants. Alternatively the ‘Newton Circus’ food centre for all round good food (pepper crab included).

If I were in Singapore again for three nights I’d be rushing down to the ‘Cuppage’, just off Orchard Rd., for an Indian at the Maharajah, they specialize in North Indian dishes – wonderful stuff.

Alternatively there’s some great Sushi to be had, I always liked the Sushi at the back of the Takishamia department store (directly across from where the taxis pick up).

In the basement of the Paragon Centre are some great Indonesian and Chinese restaurants and there’s always chilling out with a coffee right outside the Wheelock Centre (Scotts and Orchard)

As for bars, well I’m told my favorite (No 5 Peach Hill) has closed, but if you want to splash out there’s always ‘Bricks’ underneath the Marriot hotel, but don’t turn up before 11, swish, expensive but very good service and great people watching place.

As for bars, well I’m told my favorite (No 5 Peach Hill) has closed, but if you want to splash out there’s always ‘Bricks’ underneath the Marriot hotel, but don’t turn up before 11, swish, expensive but very good service and great people watching place.

i think you are refering to No. 5 Emerald Hill.

i didn't realise that they've closed. :o they made really good frozen margaritas.

but if you want to splash out there’s always ‘Bricks’ underneath the Marriot hotel, but don’t turn up before 11, swish, expensive but very good service and great people watching place.

If its under the Marriott its been renamed BarNone no cover charge for Marriott guests :o ...........tried a few of the places you mentioned......knew about East Coast Parkway (Jumbo Seafood etc) but never got out that way......they have stopped outside seating now as well. ...........had the Spring rolls and Oyster Omelette at Newton.

Must make it a 10 day trip next time.

but if you want to splash out there’s always ‘Bricks’ underneath the Marriot hotel, but don’t turn up before 11, swish, expensive but very good service and great people watching place.

If its under the Marriott its been renamed BarNone no cover charge for Marriott guests :o ...........tried a few of the places you mentioned......knew about East Coast Parkway (Jumbo Seafood etc) but never got out that way......they have stopped outside seating now as well. ...........had the Spring rolls and Oyster Omelette at Newton.

Must make it a 10 day trip next time.

Brix is under the Grand Hyatt, and as you say allbarnone is under the Marriott.

Personally I think the service at Brix is just about the worst of any high end bar in Singapore, but the bands are good and place has a nice feel to it.