Petrol Could Climb To 30 Baht Per Litre

george

Petrol could climb to 30 baht per litre

BANGKOK: -- Domestic pump prices could reach 30 baht per litre for petrol and 28 baht for diesel in the near future because of the recent sharp jump in global oil prices, according to Bangkok Petroleum Plc president Anusorn Sangnimnuan.

Premium gasoline currently costs 25.74 baht a litre and diesel 22.99 baht.

Energy Minister Viset Choopiban, meanwhile, has indicated that volatile conditions in global markets made it difficult to predict future oil prices.

World oil prices reached a new high of US$65.30 per barrel yesterday while crude from Dubai, the main reference used by Thai economic planners, was quoted at $56.25. Similarly, prices of finished oil products in Singapore hit $72.20 per barrel for premium gasoline, up $1.10, and $70.84 per barrel for diesel, up $1.87.

Mr Anusorn said many oil experts had predicted that crude prices would surge to $70 per barrel this year, especially taking into account that oil demand usually rises near year-end with the onset of the Northern hemisphere winter.

At the same time, Mr Viset noted that if crude prices actually climbed to $70 per barrel, world economic growth would be hit and demand would then ease.

In line with rising local petrol prices, demand for alternative energy sources is expected to increase, especially for gasohol, the crop-derived fuel which has already quadrupled to 1.2 million litres per day, currently, from 280,000 litres per day in January this year.

Helping to boost demand for gasohol will be the entry of Caltex and Esso into the market. Currently, gasohol is distributed by Bangchak, PTT and Shell.

However, Mr Viset expressed concern that the local supply of ethanol was insufficient to mix with gasoline to make gasohol. Currently, local ethanol production totals only 170,000 litres per day, enough to make 1.7 million litres of gasohol.

To meet the expected rise in demand, Mr Viset said ethanol imports might be allowed until production from two cassava-based ethanol producers _ Thai Nguan in Khon Kaen and International Gasohol in Rayong _ comes onstream.

The two companies are scheduled to begin commercial production in September. They are expected to have a combined production of 400,000 litres per day.

Mr Viset believes oil companies will begin to buy more ethanol from producers who use cassava after producers of molasses-based ethanol raised their prices by four baht per litre to 19 baht. Cassava-based ethanol still costs 15 baht per litre.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-12

So what are the prices of petrol/diesel per litre in the UK nowadays. I really have lost touch with it all and would love to know what prices Britons are having to pay for such everyday items nowadays

I would also like to know the difference in fuel consumption between petrol and diesel....... is diesel better. Right now I have an old car which guzzles 91 petrol at a reasonable rate but my missus wants me to buy a pickup instead albeit a second hand model. so what mileage will diesel get in standard pickup??

Cheers for any explanations or info

So what are the prices of petrol/diesel per litre in the UK nowadays.  I really have lost touch with it all and would love to know what prices Britons are having to pay for such everyday items nowadays

I would also like to know the difference in fuel consumption between petrol and diesel....... is diesel better.  Right now I have an old car which guzzles 91 petrol at a reasonable rate but my missus wants me to buy a pickup instead albeit a second hand model.  so what mileage will diesel get in standard pickup??

I have just filled up with unleaded @ approx 68 Baht and I noticed that diesel is about 70 Baht, obviously at varies from filling stattion to filling station but that seems to be about the average.

cheers for that, I thought it was a lot more expensive in the UK but its not as bad as I thought............

So what about other everyday items........ like 20 fags, bottle of milk, loaf of bread......... What is the cost of living like there nowadays, it might help my wife believe that the grass may be greener but its bloody expensive grass to buy

So what are the prices of petrol/diesel per litre in the UK nowadays.  I really have lost touch with it all and would love to know what prices Britons are having to pay for such everyday items nowadays

I would also like to know the difference in fuel consumption between petrol and diesel....... is diesel better.  Right now I have an old car which guzzles 91 petrol at a reasonable rate but my missus wants me to buy a pickup instead albeit a second hand model.  so what mileage will diesel get in standard pickup??

We are now paying 90p litre or more (88p=£4 a gallon)

Has anyone read any interesting articles etc explaining

at what price for petrol we will see a dramatic change in the spending habits of Thai`s ? I notice for example at the Lamborghini showroom on Rama 4, they still seem to have a new coloured car in the window every second week - which suggests they are still going out the door in volumes ?

cheers for that, I thought it was a lot more expensive in the UK but its not as bad as I thought............

So what about other everyday items........ like 20 fags, bottle of milk, loaf of bread......... What is the cost of living like there nowadays, it might help my wife believe that the grass may be greener but its bloody expensive grass to buy

Dont have a car so if it goes to £2-00 a liter .....o well.

Unfortunately will probabally means the old bus tics will go up again.

Thing on telly at the weekend interviewing some Americians and the suggestion is that they are OK with the price at the mo but would get annoyed if and when it hits say $5 bucks a ltr. :D

Suppose in LOS you might also start noticing a downturn in usage at around 50bt but the Thais do love their cars so...MPR :D

Re other prices ...dont fume but believe fags are about £5 a pack(20) but will be going up until smokers squeek...or gasp :D

A 4 pint jug of semi skimmed at the local S/M is £1-20 and a normal fish and Chips from a good takaway goes for about £5 quid.

Railfares can be high if you want to go urgently...easily £1 a mile..but lots of deals.

Local boozers range from monday night special (wetherforks-lager) at £1-20 a pint but can easly go to well over £3-50 a throw ......pick and choose :D

Dont forget if you wanna drive into central London the congestion charge is £8 a day......... :D ... :o

it depends on the area and if its coevred by distributors , it varies from 90pup to in some rural areas 1 pound ++

Has anyone read any interesting articles etc explaining

at what price for petrol we will see a dramatic change in the spending habits of Thai`s ? I notice for example at the Lamborghini showroom on Rama 4, they still seem to have a new coloured car in the window every second week - which suggests they are still going out the door in volumes ?

If I could afford a Lamborghini I don't expect that I would worry about the price of gas, or anything else in fact