Air Asia Premium

gamini

I am thinking of trying Air Asia "Flat bed" premium seats to London. Are they really comfortable and how do they compare with business class seats?. I am a regular traveler on Air Asia, its my favorite airline but I have never tried these seats.

I am moving this topic form the forum "Thai visas, residency and work permits" to the Thailand Travel Forum.

If you do a google on Air Asia premium, you'll see some reviews and good pictures of the seats etc. It looks really good and the reviews wernt bad either, only comment i would make is that dependant on where in the UK you are going, landing at Stansted could prove expensive and time consuming for onward travel.In my case far more than the extra expense of flying into Heathrow.

So the saving on Air Asia flight for me was cancelled out by them landing in Stansted.

I am moving this topic form the forum "Thai visas, residency and work permits" to the Thailand Travel Forum.

If you do a google on Air Asia premium, you'll see some reviews and good pictures of the seats etc. It looks really good and the reviews wernt bad either, only comment i would make is that dependant on where in the UK you are going, landing at Stansted could prove expensive and time consuming for onward travel.In my case far more than the extra expense of flying into Heathrow.

So the saving on Air Asia flight for me was cancelled out by them landing in Stansted.

Clearly you don't live in London, as a bus to Central London cost £9. If you book ahead far enough the cost can be as little as £2.

Clearly you don't live in London, as a bus to Central London cost £9. If you book ahead far enough the cost can be as little as £2.

Thats why it says " dependant on where you are going" !!!!, try actually reading the post before making stupid remarks, see if you can find similiar to get down to Southamptom, or Cornwall, Bristol or Wales...........the travelling/waiting time is substantial let alone the cost which was the point of the comment.

You also need to factor in the fact that the higher rate of Airline Passenger Duty is payable on these seats, this tax is £150 each against £75 for the standard seat. OK only another £75 but it all adds up.

Edited by theoldgit

Well, the £9 to central London (Liverpool Street Station, or Stratford) would add about 30 or 40 minutes to the journey (I would recommend Stratford). From there you can get to any major railway station in about 20 minutes or less. From Heathrow, the Heathrow Express is about £15 and goes to Paddington, not sure how long it takes, 20 minutes maybe? Same deal from there, 20 minutes and you're at a major railway station.

If you're going to the West, ie Bristol etc. then Paddington would be where you want to be. Otherwise you're in the same boat as you would be from Stansted. If you saved enough on AA then it would still be an option worth considering even if you needed to head west. It's easy to get into town from Stansted is the point I'm trying to make. :)

I don't think pointing out it's £9 to town from Stansted is a stupid remark really. :)

It maybe that it's not a route that's familiar to most people but I've done it and it's very easy.

hey charlie,

What does landing at Stansted have to do with the comfort and value of the seats????

As you said "try actually reading the post before making stupid remarks".

For some Stansted is an inconvenience. For others it's an advantage.

For me, I'm flying to Australia and would like to know what others think of the flat bed seats.

TIA.

hey charlie,

What does landing at Stansted have to do with the comfort and value of the seats????

For me, I'm flying to Australia and would like to know what others think of the flat bed seats.

TIA.

Well as the OP was talking about the flights to London, which fly into London Stansted, it's pretty clear, to me anyway, that CharlieH did read the post and advised that AA don't fly into the airports nearer London, I would imagine that he left it to others to give their specific views on the flat beds.

Hardly a stupid remark though, well not from CharlieH anyway.

hey charlie,

TIA.

Well as the OP was talking about the flights to London, which fly into London Stansted, it's pretty clear, to me anyway, that CharlieH did read the post and advised that AA don't fly into the airports nearer London, I would imagine that he left it to others to give their specific views on the flat beds.

Hardly a stupid remark though, well not from CharlieH anyway.

Come on, this is just silly. The OP asked about a flight to London. Getting from Stansted to Central London is no more difficult than getting there from Heathrow or Gatwick. It is not even an issue. If anyone flying into ANY airport hasn't bothered to plan their onward travel, they only have themselves to blame.

No need to advertise their ommission for all to see.

As I wrote before £9 and 55 minutes or less to get to Central London is hardly likely to wipe out the 'saving' on the AAX ticket. Any onward travel from Central London was likely to have to be paid if landing at Heathrow/Gatwick anyway. Plus it's not free to travel from Gatwick/Heathrow to London.

To me it was a silly over-reaction from CharlieH. Perhaps if he stated his final destination it would make sense. But at this stage, it doesn't.

As to the seats, haven't tried them. The only thing I've noticed is that some passengers there get irate when people from the economy seating area go in to use their toilet. :)

I might have a go if they have a decent promotion price. Their product doesn't compare to true Business/Club class, as you are only really getting a better seat; whereas as pointed out earlier, when travelling with some middle east airlines it's a wholly different experience. From ground to ground.

But if the price is right.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I got a lot of very irrelevant answers to my query about Air Asia Premium Flatbed seats

I might add that I am not going anywhere in England. I want to see my brother in Spain.

Flying to London then a cheap flight from there to Spain has always been my best option and pretty easy

whichever airports I used.

However now I'm 80 and 6 3 tall with back and leg pains, flying cramped up in economy is not an option. The cheapest middle east

airline business class to Europe is about Bt100,000 inc. taxes. Their flights to Madrid have long transit waits in Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Whereas my Air Asia Promotion Premium via KL is under Bt50,000 including taxes

Now will some kind person just tell me how comfortable is the Air Asia Premium flatbed seat compared with other business class. I am hoping to get a good nights sleep in comfort between KL and London, without having to change planes in the middle of the night in some mid east airport.

Thanks

Edited by gamini

I got a lot of very irrelevant answers to my query about Air Asia Premium Flatbed seats

I might add that I am not going anywhere in England. I want to see my brother in Spain.

Flying to London then a cheap flight from there to Spain has always been my best option and pretty easy

However now I'm 80 and 6 3 tall with back and leg pains, flying cramped up in economy is not an option. The cheapest middle east

airline business class to Europe is about Bt100,000 inc. taxes. Their flights to Madrid have long transit waits in Doha, Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Whereas my Air Asia Promotion Premium via KL is under Bt50,000 including taxes

Now will some kind person just tell me how comfortable is the Air Asia Premium flatbed seat compared with other business class. I am hoping to get a good nights sleep in comfort between KL and London, without having to change planes in the middle of the night in some mid east airport.

Thanks

Aren't people supposed to shrink as they get older?? How tall were you at 35? :)

As to the seating, I think that they slope downwards slightly. Certainly the best value and comfort that you are going to get, so it doesn't look as you have any choice anyway. Premium Economy on any other airline will be much worse.

Pics here

Well I'm not going to try Air Asia's premium seats.

They are not flat beds.

Their pr bullshit says flat beds, they are not.

I flew Qatar business class when their seats were 160degrees declining.

I could not sleep. You slowly glide downwards, you can't turn, only lay on your back.

When I fly business nowadays I make sure the planes have real 180d flat beds.

I do sleep and can turn around.

And I paid 80K baht BKK- Europe

And I do like the 2h lay over in some middle East business lounge: stretch my legs, have a walk, have some more food and drinks :whistling:

Edited by tartempion

They are beds, but they do slope downwards. They had foot-stops at the end of them to stop the sliding effect. Illustration(click twice on the seat icon next to the headrest)

30,000 baht is a substantial difference. If the budget is 50k, then that is what is is. That a Premium Economy seat ticket. The AAX seats surpass those.

Don't know when you are travelling, but AA are flying into Paris Orly from February, four days a week.

I don't know the availability of reasonably priced flights from Paris to your Spanish destination. Also don't know the AA price structure to Orley, but I suspect the taxes would be nowhere near the £150 APD you would pay from Stansted.

Maybe worth a look.

How much will this cost you from Bangkok, to London to Madrid? (money and time wise?)

I checked Qatar for you and came up with this:

92015 THB business class, travel Jan 2011, all taxes included

17h travel Bangkok to Madrid

14.30 Madrid to Bangkok

You can relax in both Bangkok and Madrid business lounges awaiting departure, excellent food/drinks on board, real flat beds under way and no time to relax in Doha's business class, but stretch your legs switching planes....

Well worth it considering your age ;)

Choices depend on day of week, Saturday in both cases

QR615 Bangkok (BKK)

02:35 Doha (DOH)

06:00

QR071 Doha (DOH)

07:25 Madrid (MAD)

13:35 17:00 hrs

FI0031.gif Select Return Flight (Madrid (MAD) to Bangkok (BKK) Saturday, 15 Jan 2011) Flight Departure Arrival Duration QR072 Madrid (MAD)

15:05 Doha (DOH)

23:45

QR616 Doha (DOH)

00:50 +1 day(s) Bangkok (BKK)

11:35 +1 day(s) 14:30 hrs

Edited by tartempion

How much will this cost you from Bangkok, to London to Madrid? (money and time wise?)

I checked Qatar for you and came up with this:

92015 THB business class, travel Jan 2011, all taxes included

17h travel Bangkok to Madrid

14.30 Madrid to Bangkok

You can relax in both Bangkok and Madrid business lounges awaiting departure, excellent food/drinks on board, real flat beds under way and no time to relax in Doha's business class, but stretch your legs switching planes....

Well worth it considering your age ;)

Choices depend on day of week, Saturday in both cases

QR615 Bangkok (BKK)

02:35 Doha (DOH)

06:00

QR071 Doha (DOH)

07:25 Madrid (MAD)

13:35 17:00 hrs

FI0031.gif Select Return Flight (Madrid (MAD) to Bangkok (BKK) Saturday, 15 Jan 2011) Flight Departure Arrival Duration QR072 Madrid (MAD)

15:05 Doha (DOH)

23:45

QR616 Doha (DOH)

00:50 +1 day(s) Bangkok (BKK)

11:35 +1 day(s) 14:30 hrs

42,000 baht is a substantial difference and he'll still have to travel on from Madrid.

Thanks

Sorry no idea about AA flatbed.

EGYPTAIR Business class Bangkok to Madrid with a 2.05 hr stop in Egypt is 73,540 baht Return with all taxes.

AREOFLOT Business class Bangkok to Madrid with a 1.35 hr stop in Moscow is 75,180 baht Return with all taxes.

Just 2 other options to AirAsia, Both are shorter in time then going BKK to KL > Stansted > ? > Spain... + they include Baggage + Meals + Drinks in the price... AA these are all add ons

Edited by ignis

hey charlie,

TIA.

So true. Keep to the point of the post. I want to know too!

I have not flown on Air Asia X but the seats look very similar to a lot of other carriers and as someone mentioned previously they will have an incline. I always find I slide down which becomes uncomfortable although I am 5ft 8.

Etihad operate full flat beds and are highly recommended, they also offer free limo transfer service in certain countries and their lounge is good. Gulf Air use this same seat in their First Class. BA operate with the full flat bed. The ful flat beds usually involve a footstool that the bed folds down and connects to making the bed complete.

Try this website http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/A-Z.htm

By the way Qatar have the best lounge I have been in and found it very easy to relax. I had a 6 hour layover. It is in a separate building and they have rooms you can sleep in if on a long stopover, very good restaurant, games rooms, jacuzzi, sauna and massage as well. You even get your own bus to the aircraft, a normal size but seats 12 people comfortably!

I am afraid I have not flown one of those new AirAsiaX-Aircraft fitted with those flatbed-seats, because when I went to OZ in late 2009, they still did not use those new seats, but I would suggest to just have a look at GOOGLE. click on IMAGES on the top left corner, and then search for "air Asiax flatbed seats".

you will find a PLETHORA of pictures of those new seats.