Boxee Boxes In Bangkok ?

LivinLOS

oh ic ... sorry just se it on the website ...

but as so many things ... everyone seel the same shit in thailand ..

there are many media players out there (most are junk) .. but not somethings like this.

i bought me a AppleTv and installed XBMC and Boxee on it ...

doing the job well

i can confirm the software works .. and a bokxee box is just a mico-pc with the software on it ..

so yes it will work, but some plugins (speciallystreaming content) are restricted to europe or US ip-adresses.

i bypass this with having a VPN Tunnel on the appletv .. so all streams are initiated trough this tunnel and the providing server "thinks" iam in the US. works just fine.

but in the last few month i more enjoy the original Software (XBMC) ..

you want to use multiple boxes ?

where are the data ? central storage or split up to serval devices ?

Sorry to be blunt but thanks for the links but I know what boxee is.. I already run boxee on a media PC wired into the living room and home theater / projector etc..

I want boxee in multiple bedrooms, a study, and an outdoor sala for media jukeboxing and music distribution. I dont want to build 5 more HTPC's !!

So if anyone knows of the boxee box hardware NOT the website to download the software, then superb. Otherwise I am looking at a shipitto remailer or similar.

you want to use multiple boxes ?

where are the data ? central storage or split up to serval devices ?

The data is currently on a HTPC thats holding a couple of TB of media and does dual use and HTPC and media server on the home net. Also linked into the home net are all the dreamboxes and so multiple streams of live video data (satellite) are feedable through the home net using DVBSBridge to WMC extenders (xbox360's) all skinned in the MCE interface. The xbox 360 option has been a pain as xbox's blow up with the 3RROD and are not properly warrantied here, I dont want to keep buying them for them to keep blowing. Gone through a couple now and just feel cheated.

While boxee has some drawbacks, namely it doesnt handle the dreambox streams for EPG and PVR functions, pause of live TV, etc as well as MCE, and it has a bias for online video rather than home media net / jukeboxing, its still preferable for me to move that way for the media net. I can solve the TV side by using a dreambox at each viewing node.

If I do end up with a bunch of boxee clients I would move the media collection out of the HTPC and just have it as a client as I have desktops that have to do 24/7 duty anyway and its one less machine running full time.

Here's how it usually works for this stuff, let me order it now, pay for shipping, have it caught by Thai customs, pay the extra heavy tax, and then by the time all of that gets done with I'll get it a week after it's in the stores here. That's what happened with my Ipad.

Still, I'm anxious so will order it today. I'll be hooking it up vpn to USA.

If anyone knows where to get one in Bangkok, do me a favor and post soon!

I guess these are made by D-Link? Maybe just contact D-Link here in Thailand to see if these are available here? I'm thinking maybe www. dlink.co th??

There's also this--> http://www.boxee.tv/make

It seems like this may be a U.S.-centric device as most of the services seem to come from the U.S. Given global licensing deals which are geographically exclusive, in most cases, I can see why they may only selling in the U.S.? I guess I'd also look at the AC power issue.

Kinda surprised that no one in Pathip is knocking them out.

because everyone in Thailand sell just the same sh%#t as the neighboring shops all across Thailand

I spend weeks searching for a holder for my phone and end up buy it at ebay

i just see a Boxee Box cost you 199USD ... Plus shipment and probably some sort of random tax/customs duty.

well the box is kinda cool, and have better hardware than the AppleTV, but the ATV is avaiable in Thailand quite some time.

if you only need the boxee's Features ... i would recoment to get an appletv (which are really cheap now .. because apple released a new modell (black box with no hdd)

the old appletv with 160GB i have seen just fw day's ago in iStudio for 5200 Baht (some promotion)

installing XBMC and/or Boxee on it takes just 5 minutes and a OSX Update,

so except the memory advantage, the qwerty Remote, and the Autostart of the Boxee Software,

you get almost the same, it's avaiable in Thailand and may have the enjoyment of some additional apple based features.

the new ones can be modded too .. (just the same way) .. but they are very limited because of not really existing storage space.

the old ones are fully functional Intel PC's .. comming with Harddisc .. and have a very tiny version of Mac OS Tiger Running ... so changes are easy to make . .and basically anything running on mac OS can be installed. (including XBMC or even boxee)

i just see a Boxee Box cost you 199USD ... Plus shipment and probably some sort of random tax/customs duty.

well the box is kinda cool, and have better hardware than the AppleTV, but the ATV is avaiable in Thailand quite some time.

if you only need the boxee's Features ... i would recoment to get an appletv (which are really cheap now .. because apple released a new modell (black box with no hdd)

the old appletv with 160GB i have seen just fw day's ago in iStudio for 5200 Baht (some promotion)

installing XBMC and/or Boxee on it takes just 5 minutes and a OSX Update,

so except the memory advantage, the qwerty Remote, and the Autostart of the Boxee Software,

you get almost the same, it's avaiable in Thailand and may have the enjoyment of some additional apple based features.

Boxee far better for my needs than appleTV.. And I wont give Apple any $$ as a personal choice.. Of course you could run boxee on the apple but its not ideal..

And as I said I need 5 of them.. I really dont want to make 5 linux boxee computers.. The power use.. The whole issues of 5 more computers.. etc.

Boxee boxes are sold internationally.. Its not only a US thing..

Boxee far better for my needs than appleTV.. And I wont give Apple any $$ as a personal choice.. Of course you could run boxee on the apple but its not ideal..

And as I said I need 5 of them.. I really dont want to make 5 linux boxee computers.. The power use.. The whole issues of 5 more computers.. etc.

I'm a home theater junkie, I buy all the new gear whenever I can. The Boxee has been on my list for some time. So my Boxee arrived here in Chiang Mai about 3 weeks ago. It has since been delegated to the bedroom (and left unplugged) for the last two weeks. I urge you to NOT buy the Boxee Box just yet. The firmware is absolute rubbish. It is NOT the same free Boxee software which you can download (which is way better).

You will be much better served by a WD Live box or even the Asus O!Play Air (which is also complete rubbish, and has a rubbish UI, but still has better functionality than Boxee). Even better, get yourself a mini HTPC box for not much more, and install XBMC-Live on it. BTW, XBMC is still way better, and more configurable, than Boxee. You can add a cheap Bluetooth mini-keyboard or a cheap MCE infrared remote and you're set.

Only when XMBC can be installed on the Boxee Box will it be worth considering, but Boxee sign all their .iso's so such a hack is still a long way out. I know the BB UI looks attractive, and the remote is a cool idea, but the reality is, Boxee Box is focused on streaming video content almost exclusively now. If you're like me and can't even get YouTube on Windows to load without stuttering here in Thailand, you're going to suffer through countless blank screens and crashes and frustratingly long load times on the Boxee Box. The VPN option is nice, and it really works to get at USA content, but still you suffer from terrible Thai load times. Since you have to pay for premium USA content, you could get stuck paying for content you can't even stream. The remote is a great idea, but badly implemented - it needs to be backlit, and there are important navigation button omissions. If you want to play local video files off a NAS or USB, you will discover that Boxee Box will not display your local media unless you have named and organized your files 100% correctly according to their spec (and even then, it often gets it entirely wrong). Boxee Box is even worse at discovering and playing local audio files. All told, Boxee Box found and correctly identified about 40% of my videos, and less than 10% of my audio (I have several TB on a NAS). There are workarounds to find your media files, but it involves navigating a hierarchy of several menus to get to your media directory - which makes the slick looking Boxee UI redundant. Renaming and tagging several TB of media files, just so Boxee can find it, is not high on my todo list!

Check out the Boxee Box official forum posts here and read how frustrated and angry Boxee Box buyers are - Amazon.com are going to get a lot of returns!

Please please please do not buy the Boxee Box yet, especially do not buy FIVE! You WILL regret it. If you really are stuck on the Boxee Box for some reason, even after reading the forum above, then just get one and try it out. I almost guarantee you will not buy another four after having used one.

Edited by clokwise

The firmware is absolute rubbish. It is NOT the same free Boxee software which you can download (which is way better).

this is why i prefer to have a box with real os running on it.

i guess a Dreambox would also a nice choice .. since he doesn't like Apple Products.

but may also hard to get arround here

The firmware is absolute rubbish. It is NOT the same free Boxee software which you can download (which is way better).

this is why i prefer to have a box with real os running on it.

i guess a Dreambox would also a nice choice .. since he doesn't like Apple Products.

but may also hard to get arround here

Already run multiple dreamboxes around the house.. Multi node system with a dreambox in each location.

I'm a home theater junkie, I buy all the new gear whenever I can. The Boxee has been on my list for some time. So my Boxee arrived here in Chiang Mai about 3 weeks ago. It has since been delegated to the bedroom (and left unplugged) for the last two weeks. I urge you to NOT buy the Boxee Box just yet. The firmware is absolute rubbish. It is NOT the same free Boxee software which you can download (which is way better).

You will be much better served by a WD Live box or even the Asus O!Play Air (which is also complete rubbish, and has a rubbish UI, but still has better functionality than Boxee). Even better, get yourself a mini HTPC box for not much more, and install XBMC-Live on it. BTW, XBMC is still way better, and more configurable, than Boxee. You can add a cheap Bluetooth mini-keyboard or a cheap MCE infrared remote and you're set.

Only when XMBC can be installed on the Boxee Box will it be worth considering, but Boxee sign all their .iso's so such a hack is still a long way out. I know the BB UI looks attractive, and the remote is a cool idea, but the reality is, Boxee Box is focused on streaming video content almost exclusively now. If you're like me and can't even get YouTube on Windows to load without stuttering here in Thailand, you're going to suffer through countless blank screens and crashes and frustratingly long load times on the Boxee Box. The VPN option is nice, and it really works to get at USA content, but still you suffer from terrible Thai load times. Since you have to pay for premium USA content, you could get stuck paying for content you can't even stream. The remote is a great idea, but badly implemented - it needs to be backlit, and there are important navigation button omissions. If you want to play local video files off a NAS or USB, you will discover that Boxee Box will not display your local media unless you have named and organized your files 100% correctly according to their spec (and even then, it often gets it entirely wrong). Boxee Box is even worse at discovering and playing local audio files. All told, Boxee Box found and correctly identified about 40% of my videos, and less than 10% of my audio (I have several TB on a NAS). There are workarounds to find your media files, but it involves navigating a hierarchy of several menus to get to your media directory - which makes the slick looking Boxee UI redundant. Renaming and tagging several TB of media files, just so Boxee can find it, is not high on my todo list!

Check out the Boxee Box official forum posts here and read how frustrated and angry Boxee Box buyers are - Amazon.com are going to get a lot of returns!

Please please please do not buy the Boxee Box yet, especially do not buy FIVE! You WILL regret it. If you really are stuck on the Boxee Box for some reason, even after reading the forum above, then just get one and try it out. I almost guarantee you will not buy another four after having used one.

I wouldnt have bought 5 blind.. Which is why I wanted a Thai supplier.. Was thinking of buying one or two then adding the rest once I had it configured to play nice.. I also want to work on network streaming love TV via the dreamboxes.

I also have a plan on the stream issues, was thinking of using my home net router to block boxee boxes net access conditionally.. So that they only have net access to the info / tagging data and not the rest of the web.

Want to sell your unused one ?? I can use it for a test device.. Also in CM area..