The Lower Cost Carriers Budget Boom

livinthailandos

I happen to find a article that came out yesterday regarding low cost carriers boom in thailand, basically it seems their passenger traffic has increase from 6% in 2004 - 20% in 2009. Regarding flights 7% in 2004 to 24% in 2009. Basically the low budget carriers are increasing more and more, next few years should be more interesting as mostly like the big carriers are going to suffer more. I would post the link but since I am not able to post links due to thaivisa standards of only reporting for the nation paper. I'll simply tell you to do a google search for

LCCs carrying over 27% of local traffic

I see Orient Thai are buying some new Sukhoi airliners to replace their old MD80s and some 2nd hand B744s to replace their "heritage" models.

they indeed do buy some new Sukhoi (they are in fact the sole customer for this aircraft outside the C.I.S. so far - whatever that means ^^ ),

but that does not mean they will retire their ancient MD 82 aircraft.

in an interview just few days ago, their "lovely" CEO stated, that those MD 82 are "still running well and we will continue to use them". How wonderful, welcome on board, but please: Get your brain examined before buying a ticket for this Airline ;-)

Edited by siam2007