Complaints About Speedtest

livinthailandos

Over viewing quite a few forums on here it seems that speedtest, no longer seems a viable source to use for testing internet speeds, seems some of you have reported low ping times when normally it should be higher. Just curious to know if many of you have experienced this or not. Upon hearing about these types of complaints I've changed over to other websites.

TT&T/3BB is on to speedtest.net and is intercepting results and feeding back bogus figures.

A ping test/trace route at our local computer club down here in Phuket provided a response faster than the speed of light. !?!

seek an alternative testing site or try several and average your results. And always test to an of shore server ( I usually test to San Francisco) for real world server usage tests.

From a university site. University backbone Chiang Mai - 1Gbps Fiber, my server link - 1Gbps to backbone, Uni to Bkk link - 100Mbps fiber optic link.

TV speedtest - Bangkok

post-566-0-46721300-1290738668_thumb.jpg

TV speedtest - Singapore

post-566-0-61241100-1290738708_thumb.jpg

Speedtest.net - Bangkok

post-566-0-42794400-1290738740_thumb.jpg

Speedtest.net - Los Angeles, CA

post-566-0-64892700-1290738781_thumb.jpg

Our computer group here on Phuket has been using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ for more than three years now, connecting to San Francisco. We have logged over 13,000 tests on TOT, CAT, TTT, 3BB from various locations on Phuket and at various times of day. Woody Leonhard has made several presentations on the results to various groups, including some government IT services.

We have found definite proof of fraud in speed reporting in some instances i.e pings travelling faster than the speed of light. The data shows a very mixed bag about the quality of service by all the providers. Speeds have improved over the years but the quality has not. Unexplained down times sometimes extending for days, speed fluctuation with time of day, and just plain bad service.

I do not expect the quality to improve much over time. The average speeds will probably increase, but overall service unlikely to change.

Our computer group here on Phuket has been using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ for more than three years now, connecting to San Francisco. We have logged over 13,000 tests on TOT, CAT, TTT, 3BB from various locations on Phuket and at various times of day. Woody Leonhard has made several presentations on the results to various groups, including some government IT services.

We have found definite proof of fraud in speed reporting in some instances i.e pings travelling faster than the speed of light. The data shows a very mixed bag about the quality of service by all the providers. Speeds have improved over the years but the quality has not. Unexplained down times sometimes extending for days, speed fluctuation with time of day, and just plain bad service.

I do not expect the quality to improve much over time. The average speeds will probably increase, but overall service unlikely to change.

Amen, brother! When you take-out the few locations/buildings in Thailand that get pretty good and fast internet service (like central/highrise Bangkok) because the ISP's have invested more in their internet structure in these few locations, Thailand ISP speed (expecially international speed) and reliability still has plenty of room for improvement on a country-wide basis.