Thai Prisoners Riot Over Confiscated Cell Phones

webfact

Cell phones - what next - I mean they already get free medical, free dental and three meals a day! Next they will want colour TV!!! Oh hang on - is this the US penal system influencing our Thai crims?

There is no comparison between the US and Thai prison systems. "............ free medical, free dental and three meals a day!" are certainly not available. As an example, my B-I-L asked me to buy some 2nd hand underpants for him as his clothes had holes that were embarassing him, don't send new ones as the guards would steal them. Luxury living. I don't think.

Aussie Mick - sorry you missed the tongue in cheek post. I was being a little facetious. Cheers 'mate' - and yes they DO get free medical and dental and meals. They may not be much and the quality subject to being disgusting but it is 'free'. Guys I know who have spent time in Thai prisons have lost kilo's in days. Sushi cockroach - if you can catch it and beat the other m'fo's off it... They do get their 'rice' but it ain't much. I'll try to make it more clear next time. wink.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lop Buri Prison Suspends All Visitations Following Riot

The Lop Buri Central Prison has suspended all visitations and beefed up its security following a riot staged by inmates yesterday. The disgruntled relatives of the inmates are urging the prison to disclose the names of the 51 prisoners said to be behind yesterday's riot.

The situation has returned to normal at the Lop Buri Central Prison following yesterday's riot staged by inmates.

More than 100 relatives of the inmates demanded they be allowed to see the prisoners to know they are safe. However, the warden has prohibited all visitors from entering the compound. He has posted a sign saying that all visits will be allowed to resume next week. The announcement has angered a number of visitors since there have speculations of casualties among the inmates in yesterday's riot. The disgruntled visitors have demanded prison officials to disclose the names of the 51 inmates who had led the protest.

As a measure to defuse the tension, prison officials read out the 51 names and posted it on the wall.

The 51 inmates responsible for the riot have been transferred to four different high-security prisons. Thirteen were transported to Klong Pai Prison in Nakhon Ratchasima, 13 to Kao bin Prison in Ratchaburi, another 13 to Klong Prem Prison while 12 were transferred to Bang Kwang Prison.

The Lop Buri Central Prison has not revealed the identities of those who have been killed or injured in yesterday's riot.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-26

footer_n.gif

Poster bleating about criminals deserving harsh treatment know little of Thai justice. This woman was working with her husband in BKK, went home to visit the kids, and accepted a cheap ride back in the back of a pick-up. The vehicle was stopped and searched, yaba found which nobody admitted owning, so all 8 occupants, including her husband, were given 12 years each, but the driver walked, apparently able to buy his way out.

ALL Prisons are full of people who have committed relatively minor crimes and would not be there if they had more money. The smug attitude that they all deserve whatever harsh treatment they receive is an ignorant one. :annoyed:

Sure UG little things like murder, rape, mugging, selling drugs, robbery and dont forget the insignificant terrorism.

Guess if you had been a victim of any crime you may have a different attitude.

I have been a victim of a number of crimes over many years - several burglaries recently - but that does not change the fact that many prisoners are convicted of possession or selling soft drugs or property crimes like using fake credit cards.

Do I think they should be punished? Yes, but not in a prison where they are subjected to fighting to survive or rape or where they do not get enough food or where they are tortured.

I have no problem with murderers or rapist getting the shaft, when they are proved to be guilty beyond any doubt.

10,000 INNOCENT PEOPLE CONVICTED EACH YEAR, STUDY ESTIMATES

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- About 10,000 people in the United States may be wrongfully convicted of serious crimes each year, a new study suggests.

The results are based on a survey of 188 judges, prosecuting attorneys, public defenders, sheriffs and police chiefs in Ohio and 41 state attorneys general. http://researchnews....ive/ronhuff.htm

Edited by Ulysses G.

It reads as if their was a crackdown on the use of phones. The meaning being that phones are allowed and then their use was to be restricted due to 4 extra phones being thrown over the wall.

Security must surely be inadequate as the phones landed within reach of the prisoners. if that were possible, then surely guns could be delivered the same way.

Intrigingly, it seems that applying the law caused the riot. I imagine that things were so lax it had becoem impossible to exert any authority whatsoever.

Personally, I have no sympathy for the prisoners. i believe they leave their rights at the front door and retain only human rights thereafter. The comforts of the free world and the liberty that comes with it should not apply within prison. The fact is there has to be punishment and denial of home comforts has to come under that umbrella. Furthermore, the rehabilitation should be offered to model prisoners as they indicate that such a resource would be advantageously focussed upon them.

I hope they are further punished and soilitary, followed by extended detention and harsher regimes are applied. One should remember that not all prisoners would have taken part in these riots and that the innocent should be protected. It is this underbelly of prison society that needs to learn its lesson.

Firm, un-yielding prison discipline with loss of privilige, solitary confiement, rigorous manual labour and minimal dietary standards should be used to the full.

Fifty of the prisoners involving in the riots were transferred from a prison in Ayutthaya province for involving in the smuggling of drugs and mobile phones there.

it was a small mistake to transfer them, in block, from one prison to the another, just in the neighbouring province - they have just created a problem in yet another prison. Maybe sending them individually far away from home province would stop drug smuggling into the prison.

Sending prisoners to remote provinces is a draconian punishment nearly equivalent to sentencing them to death. The food supplied in prisons is not sufficient to maintain life, so the prisoners in a cell form a food club and share provisions brought/bought in by their families - if you can't contribute you can't join. Family can't afford to travel the distance, then you're on fish head and rotten rice diet and you will lose weight rapidly.

I had a sister-in-law in the Hilton, and the wife and I donated every time we passed through. towards the end of the sentence she was transferred to a LowSec at ChonBuri. There was no available space in her own area, this was a 2nd choice as she had an aunt in the area who could bring in supplies paid for by her family.

Poster bleating about criminals deserving harsh treatment know little of Thai justice. This woman was working with her husband in BKK, went home to visit the kids, and accepted a cheap ride back in the back of a pick-up. The vehicle was stopped and searched, yaba found which nobody admitted owning, so all 8 occupants, including her husband, were given 12 years each, but the driver walked, apparently able to buy his way out.

This is very depressing but a valuable blast of scary reality - thanks.

Fifty of the prisoners involving in the riots were transferred from a prison in Ayutthaya province for involving in the smuggling of drugs and mobile phones there.

it was a small mistake to transfer them, in block, from one prison to the another, just in the neighbouring province - they have just created a problem in yet another prison. Maybe sending them individually far away from home province would stop drug smuggling into the prison.

Sending prisoners to remote provinces is a draconian punishment nearly equivalent to sentencing them to death. The food supplied in prisons is not sufficient to maintain life, so the prisoners in a cell form a food club and share provisions brought/bought in by their families - if you can't contribute you can't join. Family can't afford to travel the distance, then you're on fish head and rotten rice diet and you will lose weight rapidly.

I had a sister-in-law in the Hilton, and the wife and I donated every time we passed through. towards the end of the sentence she was transferred to a LowSec at ChonBuri. There was no available space in her own area, this was a 2nd choice as she had an aunt in the area who could bring in supplies paid for by her family.

Amen to the last contribution!

Edited by DennisJ