Foreigner Held For Taping Hit Movie

george

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to find a copy of The Falcon of Siam and discovered it was out of print and the few that had it wanted over $100 USD. Anyone with any ideas on where this book might be found a little cheaper?

Wow! I didn't know I owned a treasure.

I bought mine at Asia Books in Bangkok eons ago, and they still seem to stock it:

http://www.asiabooks.com/browse/bookinfo.a...cat=&subcat=&d=

I tried to find a copy of The Falcon of Siam and discovered it was out of print and the few that had it wanted over $100 USD. Anyone with any ideas on where this book might be found a little cheaper?

Wow! I didn't know I owned a treasure.

I bought mine at Asia Books in Bangkok eons ago, and they still seem to stock it:

I don't where asiabooks.com gets their stock but in the states it's no more. Thanks for the link, this looks like something I am really gonna like. :o

I don't where asiabooks.com gets their stock

Published in Thailand, from the look of the publisher's name. Perhaps no longer stocked by Amazon because of little demand.

Just now, I checked Amazon UK and there are some second-hand bargains there:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...5291076-2290005

Just now, I checked Amazon UK and there are some second-hand bargains there:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...5291076-2290005

...and then there's one being auctioned on Ebay, but that chap asks more for his "extremely rare" used copy than Asia Books for the new book.

Another writer seems to have jumped on the bandwagon, John Hoskin with his "Falcon at the Court of Siam"

P.S. Lest there be any suspicion, I get no commission from Asia Books; I only drop in and browse through their ware during my annual vacations in Thailand.

Hey guys,

If the police cuffs some one, you are complaining, they don't you are complaining too! That it was again a foreigner, maybe they are to stupid too do it the Thai way.

And by the way elligal is elligal, so don't do, only because many Thais do too.

I'm a musician, and I hate when people tell me, they are making copies from my CD. Should give the dead penalty for such offence! :o

If the songs were genuinely good, people would still go see their shows.

Hate to be anal, folks, and nothing of value to add AT ALL (except that it's illegal and neither of the two versions you tried, but hey, communication is communication and that's good.) P>S> No, I'm not a teacher, and yes, I do need to get a life! :D

Hey guys,

If the police cuffs some one, you are complaining, they don't you are complaining too! That it was again a foreigner, maybe they are to stupid too do it the Thai way.

And by the way elligal is elligal, so don't do, only because many Thais do too.

I'm a musician, and I hate when people tell me, they are making copies from my CD. Should give the dead penalty for such offence! :o

If the songs were genuinely good, people would still go see their shows.

Hate to be anal, folks, and nothing of value to add AT ALL (except that it's illegal and neither of the two versions you tried, but hey, communication is communication and that's good.) P>S> No, I'm not a teacher, and yes, I do need to get a life! :D

You've come to the wrong place for a life my friend. :D

The film is an insulting distortion of Thai history, say the Thai authorities, based on an equally distorting novel written by a British nanny, employed by the royal household at that time, a frustrated spinster who invented an exciting story for her own satisfaction and/or to make herself look important. From a descendant of a person in the know at that time I understand that this was indeed the case, that this lady had an unimportant position at the court and made up the whole story.

I saw a TV documentary on the real Anna of "The King and I" fame. Apparantly, she was half Indian - her father an English soldier (not officer) married to an Indian in India. Anna married an English Seargent (she lied about him being a Major or whatever) who died a year after the birth of their son. She had never been to England, but bluffed her way in to teaching at the court. She took members of her family with her, pretending they were servents. There was no evidence of an affair with the King, nor that she even met him personally - other then possibly in [assing (she lived at the court so she may have seen him - like I said no "evidence" she had met him).l

On a personal note, I have always been interested in this time period of Thailand, and have a story from an American magazine published at the time (original). The author (columnist?) wrote a peice on site at the royal palace - it is about five pages long (with about a page given over to pictures) with three (I think) columns per page. It includes block prints of the family (including the teenage HRH Prince Chulalonkorn) and the palace. There is no mention of an English (or Indian for that) school misteress. I would have thought this an interesting point for the writer if she had be of any importance.

On the original topic: Most copies seem to be either taped in the cinema and are K-Rap or copied from promotion DVDs - often with Studio numbers or award ceremany titles, appearing from time to time, overlayed. The latter are better quality and usually without the copy protection or region coding (the former obviously don't have protection/region coding either). It is usually the former on Kazaar in my experience.

If I want to keep the movie, I buy real. If I want to see, but don't care about owning, I borrow or rent. I don't buy/download hookie films as it isn't worth it financially - I could buy a sack cheaper than an Armani suit, but I wouldn't!

Software though, I have ventured to the dark side on many an occasion - and I actually write the bl**dy stuff for a living - talk about cutting off your own nose! :o

I have over 400 "bootleg" DVDs. Of those, only a few had problems. After the initial checking that it worked (put it in DVD, change chapters a few times, etc). If it did not work then, return it for a new one or a different movie. I stay away from the new movies. Hate those "HandyCam" jobs!

I found a great spot in Pantip. Out of 20 purchased maybe one would not work. Great compared to other places I tried. And the DVDs are exactly what you would buy in a store here in the USA. Perfect copies. When I bought them in bulk I was only paying 80B or so. Tough to beat! I got so many because I purchased them rather than go to the movies. Great way to build a library.

I also tried downloading them from the internet. Just not worth it. Though I did get a bunch of X rated movies that were masquerading as Hollywood hits. Good for me!

What blows me away is how America screams at foreign countries due to pirated stuff. Yet here in NYC, it is on every street corner. Same DVDs, just a few dollars more than in Bangkok. My brother bought a knock off Rolex 2 weeks ago for $20. Great deal! Except it broke a week later!

Sure glad I have the DVDs though. Movie prices here are crazy.