Moving Money Back To Uk

i sold my house today and after sharing the money with the wife i have been left with my money in bhat ,,,how is the best way to get it back to the uk with out it causing me any trouble as my lawyer told me i should not send it in one lump sum,,,,any advice will be welcome thanks

Buy a series of cashiers cheques from Bangkok Bank (larger branches) made payable to self, denominated in Sterling and drawn on Bangkok Bank London, make sure each cheque has a value equal to less than USD 20k and nobody will ask any questions. Courier the cheques to your UK bank for deposit, DHL courier cost is around Baht 1,200 and they'll be there in about three working days - deposit cheques into own UK bank account, they will clear in three working days or similar. Note: exchange rate used by BB in Thailand to produce the cheques is the same as the TT rate hence it is the best you can get, I think cost of each cheque is around baht 150 or so.

Buy a series of cashiers cheques from Bangkok Bank (larger branches) made payable to self, denominated in Sterling and drawn on Bangkok Bank London, make sure each cheque has a value equal to less than USD 20k and nobody will ask any questions. Courier the cheques to your UK bank for deposit, DHL courier cost is around Baht 1,200 and they'll be there in about three working days - deposit cheques into own UK bank account, they will clear in three working days or similar. Note: exchange rate used by BB in Thailand to produce the cheques is the same as the TT rate hence it is the best you can get, I think cost of each cheque is around baht 150 or so.

Seems OK . I want to do the same except send some money back to my bank in Australia. (ANZ Perth) Since my bank here (SCB) has records of all the money I have bought in, can I transfer some of it back? The bank account in Australia is in joint names with my Thai wife as is SCB account. Any Ideas.

...thanks a million for that information .....you really have explained it perfectly .....cheers and all the best

Seems OK . I want to do the same except send some money back to my bank in Australia. (ANZ Perth) Since my bank here (SCB) has records of all the money I have bought in, can I transfer some of it back? The bank account in Australia is in joint names with my Thai wife as is SCB account. Any Ideas.

I'm afraid I have very little experience of dealing with Aussie banks and I've never tried to transfer funds to/from them. However, I would think that the same principles apply, check and see if BB or similar has a branch in Aus (I know they exist in New York and London) and see if you can buy AUD denominated cashiers cheques from them here in Thailand and if so, courier them back for deposit. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

If you have evidence you have brought the money in or have earned it in Thailand there should be no issues in remitrting the funds back to your Australian Bank account. If the Bank you are using does not have an office in Australia (I am unaware of any Thai Bank that does) they will use a correspondent Bank they have arrangements with. If there are no sensitivities around sending the funds back in one amount, suggest you use Teleegraphic Transfer method. While slighly more expensive, you will have clear funds in australia within hours as opposed to waiting for Cashiers cheques to be cleared. The Cashier check approach will incur additional charges as your australian Bank will need to send them for collection.