Satellite Dish

nam-thip

Can anyone advise me on the best satellite system for the Phetchabun region and which shops do a supply and erect service?

I'm English which might help in deciding which system suits me best.

I checked out the electrical store on the left hand side as you turn off the 21 road heading to the market and they tried to push the DST satellite system on me but for the moment I’m back down in Pattaya and time is on my side.

My misses reckons the 2 metre dish is the best as it holds a signal when it rains.

I never told her this but price is not an issue but I need a farang opinion not a Thai opinion that’s based on the most expensive with no knowledge if it’s any good or not.

The only guarantee farang satellite TV in Thailand is True Vision/ UBC. There are pros and cons on likes and dislikes for this service. If you decide to go with this system only deal with the main office which there will be in your area as all the local shops will jack up the installation cost. I would recommend that you check with http://www.jsat.tv/ a TV sponsor for your area of available of the ASTRO system. May be yes and maybe no for reception. If available its is not cheep 40,000 baht. Be aware of pirated systems. They can not be discussed on TV. Theses systems may seem great but you will be dealing with local satellites shops and their not so good expertise. If you do go with these you could very easily be out 25,000 baht and a piece of scrape metal on your roof.

The only guarantee farang satellite TV in Thailand is True Vision/ UBC. There are pros and cons on likes and dislikes for this service. If you decide to go with this system only deal with the main office which there will be in your area as all the local shops will jack up the installation cost. I would recommend that you check with http://www.jsat.tv/ a TV sponsor for your area of available of the ASTRO system. May be yes and maybe no for reception. If available its is not cheep 40,000 baht. Be aware of pirated systems. They can not be discussed on TV. Theses systems may seem great but you will be dealing with local satellites shops and their not so good expertise. If you do go with these you could very easily be out 25,000 baht and a piece of scrape metal on your roof.

My fully legit ASTRO package cost 17k bht installed with the first years subscription included. Exactly the same from JSat was available for about 24k bht so I saved a decent amount.

Unfortunately ASTRO may not be available so far north but it is worth trying to find out if you could receive it with a big dish as it is just as good as the ripoff that is TRUE and substantially cheaper.

My fully legit ASTRO package cost 17k bht installed with the first years subscription included. Exactly the same from JSat was available for about 24k bht so I saved a decent amount.

Unfortunately ASTRO may not be available so far north but it is worth trying to find out if you could receive it with a big dish as it is just as good as the ripoff that is TRUE and substantially cheaper.

I wont goes as far as saying ASTRO is 100% legit. Its legality is in that gray zone and that is why TV will lets us discuss it. I do agree its is a great option but its foot print only goes as far north as Nakon Sawan and the OP is on the edge. If the THai government comes up with the muscle (or tea money from True) you very likely will see Astro go by by along with your 24,000 baht.

My wife's friend living in Phetchabun has the same system as us in Sukhothai with PSI satellite motorized dish it doesn't have many films and when it does they are not always English but some are sub titles and the other thing is you don't know when they are being shown on any of the 274 channels.

I choose PSI as it was a one off payment which l preferred l didn't want monthly payments.

Four years ago it cost 13,000 and l paid them an extra 500 baht to put the bloody dish where l wanted it.

As well as all programs in Thai it has stations from around the world, it has English news channels which show documentaries as well as talk programs, France 24, Euro-news shows some sports, Al-Jazeera, Russia Today, Channel News Asia. Fashion TV.

Other stations show sports but not or very rarely in English.

Check all the satellite vendors in your local area, see the price tags on display and try to let your miss doing the talks( for a thai is vital to always pull up the price for a foreigner...), we spent 10.000 for a 3M dish(to receive AsiaSat3 or 5, can't remember), receiver, etc, the same price was asked from those PSI mobile vendors that goes around with a pick up truck for a much smaller system with an 80cm dish and smaller receiver, we also have a 1,5M dish for the thai channels(Thaicom2), another dish for IPStar internet (the illegal satellite which is legal to receive and subscribe) and also a dish for the landline (TOT radio link), i am thinking about that Astro too but the idea of another dish is making me a bit sick :D

Personally I would'nt bother, save your wonga for the troubling times ahead!!.

We used to have the full platinum package with UBC ( now truevisions)) and the wife liked the Thai film channel, I liked it too as few movies had English sub titles.

Since I binned it I have now taken up fishing, playing golf again! and have two fine hounds that need plenty of exercise and I have just been invited to join the Phu Toei cycling club by one of the neighbours.

Plus a frigging big lawn to look after.

Do not miss out on the UK footy as down loading from the net fairly easy and BBC - I player for the radio.

Bit pissed off with them as they are blocking overseas listeners from listening to the Ashes.

At Phetch golf (Battle Horse Barracks) club there are a few peeps who have a sat service, I think they pay a sizeable installation fee and then a monthly amount, I do nt know all the details but its not True/PSI etc, I will find out for you.

For an alternative electric goods shop in Phetch city try the big shop with the Panasonic sign, just past the Index furniture place.

Edited by phutoie2

I wont goes as far as saying ASTRO is 100% legit. Its legality is in that gray zone and that is why TV will lets us discuss it. I do agree its is a great option but its foot print only goes as far north as Nakon Sawan and the OP is on the edge. If the THai government comes up with the muscle (or tea money from True) you very likely will see Astro go by by along with your 24,000 baht.

I don't think Thailand has a missile system capable of taking out the ASTRO satellite just yet :D

I don't think Thailand has a missile system capable of taking out the ASTRO satellite just yet :D

It wont take a missile to squeeze the foot print smaller or to stop the mule train coming over the boarder with the sim cards. MONEY.:ph34r:

Thanks for input so far guys.

So far it looks like either the dustbin lid service or the Mr. Bean coathanger on the wardrobe.

I've stuck with UBC for close on 13 years and even though it's been heading down the slippery slope since True took over i would have it installed in Phetch but due to having to return to the UK due to my fathers illness it might be a waste of time and money instaling it just for the misses.

That said, I havent given up on having UBC installed as i can downgrade to the basic package whilst i'm not in LOS but i do prefer a one off payment rather than monthly payments.

Where is the official True/UBC office in Phetchabun.

http://www.jsat.tv/fta-satellite-packages/sd-fta/australian-network.html

The above offer rugby, cricket etc. Are they ok?

So far it looks like either the dustbin lid service or the Mr. Bean coathanger on the wardrobe.

I've stuck with UBC for close on 13 years and even though it's been heading down the slippery slope since True took over i would have it installed in Phetch but due to having to return to the UK due to my fathers illness it might be a waste of time and money instaling it just for the misses.

That said, I havent given up on having UBC installed as i can downgrade to the basic package whilst i'm not in LOS but i do prefer a one off payment rather than monthly payments.

***** Where is the official True/UBC office in Phetchabun.

*** There is a counter in the hall way of Big C and there are TWO counters inside Tesco.:jap:

I have three diffferent systems, TRUE which is what I use(pay monthly), DTS bought out-right which the missus watches in the kitchen and the daughter in the bedroom

And a "I dont know what" but big 2m dish where the in-laws stay.(bought out right)

True is the ONLY one that continues when it rains.

Edited by CharlieH

*** There is a counter in the hall way of Big C and there are TWO counters inside Tesco.:jap:

I have three diffferent systems, TRUE which is what I use(pay monthly), DTS bought out-right which the missus watches in the kitchen and the daughter in the bedroom

And a "I dont know what" but big 2m dish where the in-laws stay.(bought out right)

I noticed the True/UBC counter in Big C but took it to be no more than a promotion stall.

I'm surpried you don't loose your True/UBC signal when it rain's as mine fails every time as does those of people i know living in and around the Pattaya area.

When i lived in Phuket it was no different.

What can you tell me about the DTS set up because when the misses enquired about the various systems in the big electrical shop near the market they had DTS linked up to a computer monitor but the member of staff seemed a bit cluless when questions where asked.

It looked ok to me and even had a couple of sports channels. It was priced at around 3600 baht which i think included the erect and set up. The misses enquired about a second box and she nearly fainted when they quoted her 2000 baht per additional box.

I noticed the True/UBC counter in Big C but took it to be no more than a promotion stall.

I'm surpried you don't loose your True/UBC signal when it rain's as mine fails every time as does those of people i know living in and around the Pattaya area.

When i lived in Phuket it was no different.

What can you tell me about the DTS set up because when the misses enquired about the various systems in the big electrical shop near the market they had DTS linked up to a computer monitor but the member of staff seemed a bit cluless when questions where asked.

It looked ok to me and even had a couple of sports channels. It was priced at around 3600 baht which i think included the erect and set up. The misses enquired about a second box and she nearly fainted when they quoted her 2000 baht per additional box.

The set-up I got was from a shop at the back of the Bus station (the bus station inside Phetchabun near the water/ restaurants etc not the one near Kossit hill). They are very helpful and knowledgable, they came out and fixed everything into two rooms, kitchen/daughters room. Paid about 5k all in.

The ladies of the house seem fine and happy with it, I have never used it or watched as i stick with the True TV.

They came out once when I had a tuning problem because of a change of Tv and came and sorted it out FREE, gave 'em a few baht for noodles anyway, nice guys.

Regarding True in Big C I have never actually used that counter as I always use what I think is the main one where i pay the bill etc in Tesco.

Edited by CharlieH

Thanks for the info CharlieH.

The Satellite dish system is for the misses and not me as i'll be on an extended stay in the UK due to my 85 year old fathers illness which has just been diagnosed as cancer.

I think the DTS dish is the one i'll go for but i'm not sure where the other bus station is as i only know the one close by the Kosit Hill Hotel.

I guarantee that when i ask her indoors about the other bus station near the water/restaurants i'll get some sort of ??????? reply.

The Satellite dish system is for the misses and not me as i'll be on an extended stay in the UK due to my 85 year old fathers illness which has just been diagnosed as cancer.

I think the DTS dish is the one i'll go for but i'm not sure where the other bus station is as i only know the one close by the Kosit Hill Hotel.

I guarantee that when i ask her indoors about the other bus station near the water/restaurants i'll get some sort of ??????? reply.

If you get stuck or a blank response, send me a message and I 'll give you the mrs phone number and your Mrs can ring her and they can sort it out between them.If you really want I'll meet her in town and me and the mrs will take her there and get it sorted if you are stuck in the Uk.I fully understand that situation as I went through exactly the same a few years ago with my Mum. need any help or back-up out here just ask.

Edited by CharlieH

If you get stuck or a blank response, send me a message and I 'll give you the mrs phone number and your Mrs can ring her and they can sort it out between them.If you really want I'll meet her in town and me and the mrs will take her there and get it sorted if you are stuck in the Uk.I fully understand that situation as I went through exactly the same a few years ago with my Mum. need any help or back-up out here just ask.

Once again CharlieH thanks for input.

Spoke to the misses this afternoon and she said she know's the location you mentioned. For the moment i've put things on hold until i'm up in Phetchabun later this month.

I've just noticed your one and the same CharlieH who gave me the route to Cha Li where i recently completed my 90 day visa stamp. I followed the route you gave and it all went well until i turned off the 203 road heading to Cha Li and the friendship bridge. What a bad road that is!!

We stopped off at Phu Rua for breakfast/early lunch, nice place!!

When i have the time i'll do a mini report in case anyone else from Phetchabun needs to do a visa run.

Edited by nam-thip