Suvarnabhumi Airport To Sukhumvit Soi 4

qiqi557

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a meter taxi from the first floor of the airport. Tell the driver to use the tollway and give him 70 Baht. The additional price on arrival at Soi 4 should be around 230 Baht added to which you need to pay him 50 Baht airport surcharge.

In short around 370 Baht all in.;)

Take a meter taxi from the first floor of the airport. Tell the driver to use the tollway and give him 70 Baht. The additional price on arrival at Soi 4 should be around 230 Baht added to which you need to pay him 50 Baht airport surcharge.

In short around 370 Baht all in.;)

Thanks alot for your kind information.What about the travelling time? Will there be any major traffic jam? Thank you once again!!

Thanks alot for your kind information.What about the travelling time? Will there be any major traffic jam? Thank you once again!!

Or if you are the adventurous type, or into saving the environment or wanting to save money, go to the bottom level at the airport and get the Cityline train (not the Airport Express - there are two different walkways with the name CityLine or Airport Express marked on them). Get a ticket at the amzingly discounted price of 15 baht (50 US cents) to Makkasan and get a taxi from there (well marked taxi rank) for about 80 baht. Journey time 40-55 minutes. Have done it with heavy roller luggage, not a problem.

I've done this trip myself at least 4 times in the last 3 months - and the even cheaper variant via Phayathai and the BTS system, which I do not recommend for newbies.

It's a very new quick elevated light rail link which is why most of the posters above are stuck in the road option past (they are probably non-Europeans too!)

Or if you are the adventurous type, or into saving the environment or wanting to save money, go to the bottom level at the airport and get the Cityline train (not the Airport Express - there are two different walkways with the name CityLine or Airport Express marked on them). Get a ticket at the amzingly discounted price of 15 baht (50 US cents) to Makkasan and get a taxi from there (well marked taxi rank) for about 80 baht. Journey time 40-55 minutes. Have done it with heavy roller luggage, not a problem.

I've done this trip myself at least 4 times in the last 3 months - and the even cheaper variant via Phayathai and the BTS system, which I do not recommend for newbies.

It's a very new quick elevated light rail link which is why most of the posters above are stuck in the road option past (they are probably non-Europeans too!)

Why the hel_l would you go through all that trouble, to save 200 baht? A taxi to sukhumvit and use of the tollway is 400 thb at max. jeez.

Why the hel_l would you go through all that trouble, to save 200 baht? A taxi to sukhumvit and use of the tollway is 400 thb at max. jeez.

I'd do it for fun if I had the time.....and no luggage.

Day of week? Time of day?

{Number of people? Amount of luggage?}

The Airport Rail Link does not run 24 hours, so depending on the time your arrival this may not be an option.

Saving time is one reason. Avoiding the stress of being in a taxi is another.

The OP stated its their first time in Bangkok. I fail to see what stress is involved in sitting in a taxi for 45 mins. Much more stressful lugging bags around and wondering if you missed the stop...where do we go from here etc.....all to save literally peanuts.

Its not a pissing contest of just how cheap can it be done.....or is it? :rolleyes:

The OP stated its their first time in Bangkok. I fail to see what stress is involved in sitting in a taxi for 45 mins. Much more stressful lugging bags around and wondering if you missed the stop...where do we go from here etc.....all to save literally peanuts.

Its not a pissing contest of just how cheap can it be done.....or is it? :rolleyes:

The OP did ask for the cheapest! But my response was why someone would go to the trouble to save money.

Stress in a taxi - crazy drivers, not knowing if the driver is going in the right direction, not knowing if you're being ripped off - a number of things that could stress someone. I'm not saying it would happen ... but it could still stress someone.

Worried about missing a stop? How many stops are there? There is plenty of notice before arriving at a stop. All the signs are in English. There are plenty of people to ask (even in basic English). And if you have one bag on wheels, it's not too hard to lug around.

Even catching the airport express and then a taxi would be fairly easy, and would save time.

@DigitalBanana ... how many Thai's live centrally enough to consider using the airport link?

I can't see why after a long flight and dealing with immigration/baggage collection .....in a city you don't know at all....you would want do do anything other than jump in a taxi to your hotel as soon as possible.

Saving money at that point wouldn't enter my thoughts at all.

I can't see why after a long flight and dealing with immigration/baggage collection .....in a city you don't know at all....you would want do do anything other than jump in a taxi to your hotel as soon as possible.

It entered the OP's thoughts.

You want to get to the hotel as soon as possible? Taking a taxi isn't always the fastest or easiest option.

It entered the OP's thoughts.

You want to get to the hotel as soon as possible? Taking a taxi isn't always the fastest or easiest option.

I disagree. Its still the fastest and easiest option now. Even the price aint much different. ;)

I disagree. Its still the fastest and easiest option now. Even the price aint much different. ;)

ARL/BTS - 30-40 minutes - less than 50 baht.

Taxi - 40 minutes absolute minimum - 300+ baht minimum.

About the same time IF there is no traffic. Taxi 6 times the price.

ARL/BTS - 30-40 minutes - less than 50 baht.

Taxi - 40 minutes absolute minimum - 300+ baht minimum.

About the same time IF there is no traffic. Taxi 6 times the price.

If the guy has to worry about 300 Baht better to just stay home, also the 50 Baht for the BTS would turn into at least 100 or more depending on the number of people, not to menion dragging or carrying bags from the Nana BTS station or someplace else. Anyway I agree, take the taxi and be done with it.

Edited by beechguy

I'd take the rail link any time of day to save being in a taxi likely without a seatbelt often travelling at 160km/h with the driver on amphetamines. And I'd suggest it to anyone I know visiting the city either for business or pleasure and staying within 3km radius of a BTS station without too much luggage. Even with luggage it's not a bad option. A cab from an Airport Rail Link station to hotel/house is less dangerous because it's not on the expressway and unlikely to result in death.

On a slightly less dramatic note... The ARL is comfortable, efficient, fast and cheap. It links easily with the BTS (and hopefully will soon with the MRT at Makkasan) and is much easier to use than a taxi. After travelling to many countries around the world - if there's an easily accessible rail link I'll always take it since the directions are almost always in English, you don't need to struggle with a taxi in a foreign language and wonder if they're driving you in circles or have a rigged meter giving an inflated fare. Also it's almost always a faster option.

Judging by my two trips out to the airport on the train since it opened the City Line is very well used especially from Phaya Thai to the airport. Lots of locals and foreigners.

I think that, until the OP shares more detail (time of arrival, day of week, number of people in his party, amount of luggage, location of hotel - Soi 4 is a long street, physiscal fitness) any specific recommendations might be fruitless. I ride the SARL often (yesterday Phaya Thai to SBIA then back to Makasan) and it is nice. I just worry about getting a taxi at Makasan to Soi 4; agree you might die of old age sitting traffic rather than in a high-speed crash as there is no direct route and traffic can be terrible. Also with even a 26" roll-a-board some might find the stairs down a bit much. And it can be challenging to get on a packed BTS train even without any luggage. And even if you make it Nana BTS, after climbing down three long sets of stairs you may need to walk 1 Km, over crowded, uneven footpaths, to get to the hotel. (A taxi driver might be miffed with the 35 baht fare.)

Perhaps the OP could take a taxi to the hotel and then the SARL (after a taxi ride to Makasan) back to the airport and follow up on his experiences?

The taxi service at SBIA is much improved with dispatchers relatively fluent in English and drivers who seem honest, capable and reasonably safe on the road. The level of complaints about taxis at SBIA has dropped to almost none, if this and other forums are any indication.

Some of you guys are right, we should be recommending the easy route - taxi all the way - to a newcomer. Particularly as they will be staggered at how cheap it is compared to other international destinations.

I use the train because it saves putting another car on the street, the taxi driver's driving standards trouble me and I am a bit of a public transport geek anyway. I'm rich as <deleted> - I don't need or want to save money. :rolleyes:

I caught the train at 8am on a Friday with a small suitcase in June. I will never do it again.

June? Which train? Why won't you use it again?

I left out the important bit. I transferred to BTS at Phayathai with bags.. That bit I won't do again..

I caught the train at 8am on a Friday with a small suitcase in June. I will never do it again.

June? Which train? Why won't you use it again?

I left out the important bit. I transferred to BTS at Phayathai with bags.. That bit I won't do again..

Yes ... using the City Line or getting onto the BTS at peak hour is tough at the best of times. With a suitcase, even tougher.

Saving time? I took a taxi to/from Suvarnabhumi today.

Sukhumvit 24 to suv. - 30 minutes. meter 250 THB or something + i gave him a tip of 150 THB because he got me at the airport so fast. + highway 70 THB

suv. to sukhumvit 24 - 35 minutes. meter around 280 THB + tip 70 THB + highway 70 THB

I don't think you can beat that time with bts or train, from the starting point to the final destination at the doorstep.

I don't see how a taxi can cause you any stress.

Edited by HollandChampion

Saving time? I took a taxi to/from Suvarnabhumi today.

Sukhumvit 24 to suv. - 30 minutes. meter 250 THB or something + i gave him a tip of 150 THB because he got me at the airport so fast. + highway 70 THB

suv. to sukhumvit 24 - 35 minutes. meter around 280 THB + tip 70 THB + highway 70 THB

I don't think you can beat that time with bts or train, from the starting point to the final destination at the doorstep.

I don't see how a taxi can cause you any stress.

I did the trip from the Taipan Hotel on Suk 23 to the airport in September in 25mins 180 Baht no tollway.

If you take a taxi be aware there is no right turn down Soi 4 on Sukhumvit. Taking the ramp down to Sukhumvit means turning up to Bumrungrad Hospital getting on to Soi 3 and then down to Soi 4. This is always a slow process except late at night and at peak times can take the best part of an hour.

Rather continue down the expressway for maybe 1 1/2 to 2 miles and take left hand turn. If the tobacco monoply gate is open it will bring you in at the bottom of Soi 4. If not continue up towards Sukhumvit to JW Marriot Car park. Go through the Car Park come out on Soi 2 and taking a right will bring you to Car Park on your left with a manned barrier in about 50 yards. You can get through to Soi 4. A tip of 20 baht is expected to guy at barrier. Either way saves you a lot of time after a long flight.

Hope this is some assistance to you. I was advised of this a few years ago and every time I use it I say prayers for the guy who informed me.