Talk About Skyrocketing Prices ?

ThePunPun

Beef prices may be driven by the season.. lots of BBQ parties in December and January for which people get beef, even people who normally don't eat the stuff much.

Same applies to shrimp.

That maybe is the reason Wagyu Kobe beef at Rimping has gone up almost 18% in the last month.Was 2900Bht a Kg now 3400.

Was thinking that would be a good business alone,I can buy Wagyu PB35 in Aus for 900Bht a Kg.

So before freight and duties the margin is around 280% per Kg..would pay for a return flight!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New twist on skyrocketing prices...

Scarcity.... Last night at Makro ...NO COOKING OIL , save for the little small bottles.

and also the selection of rice is very very sparce.....

Strange times ,,,,, they are upon us

G

It's been in the newspapers recently and to cut a long story short it is to do with price fixing.

Edited by anonymouse

New twist on skyrocketing prices...

Scarcity.... Last night at Makro ...NO COOKING OIL , save for the little small bottles.

and also the selection of rice is very very sparce.....

Strange times ,,,,, they are upon us

G

It's been in the newspapers recently and to cut a long story short it is to do with price fixing.

It also has to do with the US Federal Reserves quantitative easing program that is causing currency inflation resulting in even places like Laos to have food riots

It is a global issue

Beef prices may be driven by the season.. lots of BBQ parties in December and January for which people get beef, even people who normally don't eat the stuff much.

Same applies to shrimp.

That maybe is the reason Wagyu Kobe beef at Rimping has gone up almost 18% in the last month.Was 2900Bht a Kg now 3400.

Was thinking that would be a good business alone,I can buy Wagyu PB35 in Aus for 900Bht a Kg.

So before freight and duties the margin is around 280% per Kg..would pay for a return flight!

Is it listed on the SET?

Just as a way of update on this thread.....

a 13.75 litre of cooking oil on July 10th, 2010 [7 mos ago] cost 450 Baht...

Yesterday [4th Feb ] 13.75 liter of cooking oil cost 877 baht....

That seems like about a 94% increase in just short of 7 Months... and with a little efort it could probably reach 200% on annualized basis....

Is that skyrocketing , or what

.... and that ain't the only product jumping in price

G

Often farang foods will increase in price, it's because farang's can't live without them.

The stores and suppliers know this, so they often increase by small increments on a regular basis.

As far as prices for good, fresh food and fruits are concerned, Thailand remains one of the worlds great bargains.

If you have to eat fillet mignon and lobster thermidor, then realise it's expensive the world over.

Often farang foods will increase in price, it's because farang's can't live without them.

The stores and suppliers know this, so they often increase by small increments on a regular basis.

As far as prices for good, fresh food and fruits are concerned, Thailand remains one of the worlds great bargains.

If you have to eat fillet mignon and lobster thermidor, then realise it's expensive the world over.

I think you're on to something here.. Possibly it's only the kind of Farang who "can't live" without read-made fully processed imported foods from Farangland who notices this as an issue? The normal well-adjusted ones who manage to go a little native don't notice it at all, other than the regular seasonal price fluctuations of course.

It's kind of like Thais living abroad whining when the price of Mama noodles goes up by 20 cents even though all the ingredients to make much better quality food from home are right in front of them...

I think I'll make an English meat pie and American Macaroni and Cheese tonight, for the price of peanuts. Because I can!

(Before anyone asks: The cheese will come from Makro, which incidentally hasn't gone up in price for years.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

(Before anyone asks: The cheese will come from Makro, which incidentally hasn't gone up in price for years.)

Re Makro... Accurate statement ....example...the cheese at makro [speaking of 1 particular]

has been the same for years...... high price and inflated.

This cheese sells for 480 baht and has been available for over a year at another store for 350 baht.

So I guess they do not have to increase their price

Fact not figurative speaking

Yes one can always go native and eat the bugs and guts....and not loose any face by saying that prices are increasing at a higher rate than usual..

Just for the record, I do eat my share of Thai, but see no logical point in not saying anything about increasing prices, just so some fat cat somewhere can line his pocket at the expense of falang and more importantly at the expense of the Thai who does use some of these products.... i.e. cooking oil, eggs, rice....

I think you're on to something here.. Possibly it's only the kind of Farang who "can't live" without read-made fully processed imported foods from Farangland who notices this as an issue? The normal well-adjusted ones who manage to go a little native don't notice it at all, other than the regular seasonal price fluctuations of course.

It's kind of like Thais living abroad whining when the price of Mama noodles goes up by 20 cents even though all the ingredients to make much better quality food from home are right in front of them...

I think I'll make an English meat pie and American Macaroni and Cheese tonight, for the price of peanuts. Because I can!

thumbsup.gif

Enjoy your cheap meal. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Re Makro... Accurate statement ....example...the cheese at makro [speaking of 1 particular]

has been the same for years...... high price and inflated.

This cheese sells for 480 baht and has been available for over a year at another store for 350 baht.

Ehh.. I meant their own Makro brand. (Aro or whatever; 350 baht for a kilo) (Not the most exquisite in the world, but keep in mind this was in reference to making Macaroni & Cheese, and for that it more than fits the purpose. )

And wine is getting cheaper. It used to be that complete shit wine started at 300 baht, with nothing much in the 500 baht region until you got to 1000 baht. Now there's a reasonable choice around 400-600 baht.

But... more importantly than anything: the smiles are still as free as they were when I first set foot ashore in 1976.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Enjoy your cheap meal. wink.gif

Thank you. And not only is it cheap, it is also fresh, healthy and delicious. And it's healthy for the mind, because it saves me from having to whine on an internet forum everytime the price of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese goes up by 5 baht. ;)

cheesy.gif

I seem to recall it being out of stock and the panic started to set in.

Edited by uptheos

America and Europe's Quantative easing has pumped trillons int the markets. The money has to go someplace and a lot is going into commodities.

Cotton just hit a 180 year (the last time cotton, inflation adjusted high, the last time cotton was this high in New York, was during the American Civil War).

Sugar's way up, copper just hit an all time high, grains, meats, crude and most commodities across the board are up. Even if there is a great harvest in rice, the price of rice may double by October simply due to the "if I can't eat wheat, I'll eat rice" syndrome. The CCI (Continuous Commodity Index) last I looked had doubled

So a combination of natural disasters (drought in places, floods in Oz, etc) combined with too much money chasing what is rising creates a potential "perfect storm" for food inflation. Frankly I don't think you've seen anything yet... (I hope I'm totally wrong)

One of my favorite economic websites has a graph that says it all, see: http://jsmineset.com/2010/12/17/continuous-commodity-index-chart-from-trader-dan-5/

You can see the monstrous drop from 2007 and then a rise that has brought us right back to where prices were when they were high in 2007--and today, add in Russian drought, Oz's flooding, etc, and the trillions that need a home.... yikes.

• 2 weeks later...

The Thai government has set the price for sugar cooking oil rice fish sauce & a myriad of "staples" for decades. Joe Stalin is smiling. O yeah & fuel, whether cooking gas or vehicle fuel. Why do you think the taxi's all run on LNG ?

Smoked salmon always had 100 gram in a pack, now just 80 gram, for the same price. Some products like Scott toilet tissue even have separate packages for 7Eleven with the same look, same price but less content. Same for potato chips, cream butter etc.

That's the usual sneaky tricks they use here, but not only here. But Thai customers won't complain so companies just do what they want, unlimited greediness and theft :annoyed:

GF - is it palm oil? I bever never eat that stuff.

Corn has doubled in 9 months.

Mazola corn oil is 124 baht a bottle 1 liter. So sorry for the typo. You eat bever? gross.

You were so giddy you forgot to answer my question.

Edited by powderpuff